blinkx Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Great Benefits, Fast-Paced Environment - Overall Great Place to Work

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool company / fun place to work. Most of the staff is made up of super talented, smart, and approachable people. The fact that blinkx has acquired a few different brands means that an employee from one company has access to the skill set of an employee from another company. I didn't realize this was much of a "pro" until it came up with a project I was working on and was able to leverage an employee from a recently acquired company. Benefits are great, and a lot better than similar companies in the industry from what I've seen (especially with the recently implemented 401k match). Awesome health care coverage and great vacation / time off package. You can carry over vacation and sick days to the next year if you don't use them. Free snacks & coffee are also a nice touch, especially for someone like me who probably drinks 7 cups per day :). Benefits weren't bad 3 years ago when I first started, but have definitely gotten a lot better over the last year and a half or so. Upper level management also does a good job in recognizing and rewarding those with a strong work ethic; including promoting within the organization. I've seen many colleagues (including myself) get a promotion as a result of the hard work they put in.

Cons

Workload can sometimes be heavy and result in putting in extra hours. It doesn't often interfere with weekends, but most employees are working more than a 9-5 day.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees. Focus on continuing to align the different divisions within the organization.

Mar 26, 2015 – Human Resources

We appreciate your review! As we grow, employees are given a unique opportunity to work across divisions and utilize strengths across multiple projects, within the organization. As you have seen ... More

The dips of the roller coaster are evening out.

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues. Great vision. A good, professional vibe. Right now I think I have a feeling that the stars are beginning to align and we're becoming a "normal" company.

Cons

A increasing feeling of disconnect from the product. I know the site is being redone, but it's taken forever to even acknowledge that it needed to happen. There is also silo-ization of the group by acquisition and product set. True, this could be overcome by the upcoming intranet, but it's a late and an internet was available through the Zango acquisition. It was sneered at.

Advice to Management

It seems like most of the things that I think should happen are in the works. So I guess it's all about execution at this point.

Exciting company to work for

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for a little over 4 years and have nothing but good things to say. The work is challenging, but rewarding and management makes sure that the entire team feels part of the company's success. The company has been increasingly taking strides to make sure that blinkx is not only a great company, but a great company to work for. I look forward to going to work every day which I know isn't the case for a lot of people at other jobs. Also, free bagels and snacks are a big plus :).

Cons

Really haven't been too many, if at all. This isn't a "9-5 job" (as is the case with most Internet jobs) so if that's your thing blinkx probably isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to tap into the entire team for ideas on how to grow the company.

5. Great company going places

Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Snack Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really dynamic place, it is clear there is something going on behind the scenes. No one overly concerned about the latest results and are looking at the future.

Cons

The snacks are not that good, you coudl always do with longer holidays and I wish I had more options because they are going to be worth loads soon

Advice to Management

Keep it up we are all behind you. The best company I have ever worked for and I started Apple witht hose other two guys.

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! You are a blinkx rockstar with over 10 years tenure! Blinkx is committed to continuing to develop a work environment that is diverse, collaborative, and encouraging ... More

Is it the same company they are reviewing?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent remuneration Opportunity to work at the cutting edge of technology A great bunch of people Good career development and a sense of progression

Cons

Bitter ex-employees posting whacked out reviews (see anywhere on this page) The free Friday lunch (nice idea but could be better!) Long hours

Advice to Management

More transparency as to long term plans would be nice and better PR. The product we are building is awesome but it's a bit demoralizing when few people I meet even know what Blinkx is.

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

blinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Cons

blinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around. The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Advice to Management

Keep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

small issues but overall great environment

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-blinkx is growing -Supportive upper management -Competitive Salary -Thursday lunches, lots of snacks/beverages for free

Cons

-Growing pains comes with some confusion for employees on their roles. Makes sense though based on recent acquires (burst, etc) -Not flexible on work schedules (typical m-f, 8:30 - 5:30 type job). Should allow to work from home or summer fridays like many other companies with similar environment

Advice to Management

Continue with Monthly meetings regarding company updates (we just started this, but hoping it does not go away). Bring back happy hour Fridays (let us drink in the office!). Be more flexible about working from home.

Good overall but could use some improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, compensation is good (if you're a manager or higher or have been there a while), kitchen is always full of food, so it's like free breakfast and lunch, beer days, morale events here are fun and engaging, free parking, co-workers are cool, they really do promote from within, and lots of flexibility and autonomy.

Cons

-Some upper management are better than others (some don't listen or ignore your suggestions altogether, but there are some that are open to new ideas), not proactive with increased compensation, there was a reorg recently that have embittered some people, no 401(k) matching, and while some people can telecommute, it's largely discouraged.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees more. Based on the opinions of the employees and myself, we feel that the company is not transparent enough and everything is always so secretive. Also, listen to your employees; they're the backbone of the company and have good intentions for the company.

Great perks, some instability

Pros

Small office with a relaxed atmosphere and great group of employees. Challenging work and an opportunity to learn a variety of areas

Cons

Some instability, including high turnover. Not a lot of room for advancement

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for the review. Blinkx does provide great benefits to its employees and we are glad you agree! Our company has become more efficient and strategic in the past year, which comes with changes ... More

11. Solid company

I worked at blinkx part-time

Pros

great people, good incentives, and the company has a lot of potential for growth. it seems upper management truly understands the space they are working in and how to succeed.

Cons

i was only a part time intern and didnt have a lot of work to do. not the companys fault, i didnt stay long because i found another opportunity.

Advice to Management

keep doing what youre doing

RSS Feed </> Embed