blinkx Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

I'm so glad this place is behind me, wish I never joined

Pros

The senior managers have really cool accents. It’s like working for a mean little Hugh Grant. If you like senior managers who are bad at managing but have really cool accents, then you’ll love it here. Most middle managers and peers are good people. Their morale is low, but they’re good people.

Cons

The work environment is the worst. Senior management sees themselves as brilliant wiz-kids and all employees as vermin. Employees are disrespected and constantly reminded of their expendability. Folks are scared of the penalties of a bad decision so they don’t make decisions on their own. Their fear keeps them from investing any time in helping out fellow peers, it’s all about protecting yourself. It’s just no fun to be treated so poorly and seeing people you respect being treated even worse. There’s an uncomfortable, depressing feeling everywhere, in meetings, in conversations, in work habits that all stem from the awful senior management.

Advice to Management

It’s probably too late. No one from senior management understands good leadership. B-slap the top five and replace with smart, respectful, experienced leaders and maybe there’s hope.

HORRIBLE

Pros

Free lunches Coworkers are generally cool unless they're at mid-management or higher A fully stocked fridge and kitchen Pay is decent

Cons

Everything else. If you like working in a boring, stuffy work environment with management breathing down your neck at every step, this might be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Realize that you don't actually know everything. Show your employees some respect and reward ingenuity and hard work instead of trying to bend them to your will.

Shady, probably illegal, definitely immoral.

I worked at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good for senior engineers. Casual place without too much supervision or micro-management. Free food and free coffee.

Cons

It's hard to comprehend how this company is still alive. There are no actual products or services being produced here. You can actually "feel" the awfulness on people's faces, like everyone has just given up on improving the world.

blinkx Response

Jan 29, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that we offer a robust line of products and work tirelessly to improve quality. If you would like to discuss further please email blinkxcares@blinkx.com

Blinkx Media UK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

You get to go to the pub whenever you want and can turn up drunk

Cons

The company wasn't actually doing anything and didn't really have a product. If a campaign was by some miracle sold it wouldn't actually be able to run because the technology was faulty/didn't work.

Advice to Management

Stop kicking bins

Awesomeness which is Blinkx

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Employees in the UK knew the market, wanted to grow the business in line with how the market was moving. Some dedicated and hard working people were going above and beyond the call of duty. Working weekends and long evenings regardless of not been in a senior positions.

Cons

> US mentality were to always push back on ideas, ethics when it came to been innovative. > Lost some really great assets/employees/sites due to false promises. > Lost leadership/structure when the last MD left and was not replaced for a while > CEO does not really understand sales (which Blinkx is) but more tech. No USP here for Mr CEO. > Unfortunate that the London office has close, due to losing valuable employees but they needed to jump ship due to seeing how the company was going under in the UK.

Advice to Management

Best of luck with the re-branding and hope you open up in the UK again with a better structure and be well informed when you do so.

A circus freakshow of a company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros? Of Blinkx? Ummm....we had pretty good snacks in the office, largely due to our snack director. The people as well. They were great to work with.

Cons

Where do I begin..... Terrible products that barely ever worked...the dinosaur adserver that is AdConductor, the culprit to everyday meltdowns. Senior management who talked a lot without actually saying anything (if that's possible). Senior management who just wouldn't show up to work sometimes. Sales who couldn't sell (Though not entirely their fault, how do you sell a product like Blinkx?). No job training, with a 'figure it out yourself' mentality and then a 'i'm going to yell at you when you've done something wrong' response. The CEO....pah, I won't even go into the CEO. Need I go on?

Advice to Management

Stop screaming and kicking bins in fits of rage around your employees. It's unbecoming of you.

Waste Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Whilst the company appeared to have a solid team that worked hard, the underlying waste management situation was always in jeopardy. Lower level management supported their employees for the most part, however, senior management were clueless to the massive pitfalls of the technology and the dangers to waste management. Great snacks were available at all times, as was access to Marketplace which was good for team morale. I believe this is what kept the ship sailing for so long, as well as the ample amounts of my fellow waste management compatriots.

Cons

I will always remember that fateful day, it was where everything changed in a instant. The underlying tech issues caused a campaign to fail and produce outburst that will never be forgotten. The waste management situation was destroyed.

Advice to Management

Bins are for life, you hit, we hurt.

Great Possibilities, Poor execution

Pros

Hot space Interesting technology Good buzz in industry

Cons

Poor execution on products Terrible treatment of employees Poor communication- starting at management Bogus PR: papering the industry with meaningless press releases Lack of support, yet all the obligations on accomplishing things

Advice to Management

It's time to clean house at the management level at blinkx, I don't think any reputable person who can contact people via sites like this or social networks will take a job at blinkx unless they are desperate.

A decent place to start, but not to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

There is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

Cons

Information is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Advice to Management

Fear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

Dead end

I worked at blinkx full-time

Pros

Good pay and ok benefits

Cons

Some rotten managers and technology that is not exciting.

RSS Feed </> Embed