blinkx Reviews

Updated October 5, 2014
3.1

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to learn/grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary

Cons

Confusion on what exactly the products are and how they work (if they work?). With recent acquirement of Burst, there is various new roles that need to be played for your position which is aggravating/confusing. It will take time for this to smooth out.

Need to be more flexible with employees work hours. Should be allowed to work from home as long as job is getting done and there should be summer hours on Fridays (like most companies of this type in SF).

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

blinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Cons

blinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around.

The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Keep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

Rollercoaster Ride - but a good one

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

Faced paced, high reward work environment. Co-workers are no nonsense, smart and hard working. Company is growing fast, creating lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

blinkx is growing so fast that the support infrastructure is having trouble keeping pace. The company needs to focus on how to make the transition from a small organization to a mid-size company.

Improve companywide communication channels. With the hyper growth that's taken place over the last year management needs to do a better job of communicating to the various business units. Improved communication will help the various business units understand what each other are doing and provide more opportunity for collaboration.

A decent place to start, but not to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

Cons

Information is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Fear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

Worst Job Ever

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

My peers were top quality. Everyone was competent and good at their jobs. They all left and got better jobs elsewhere.

Cons

Terrible management. They yell and cuss at others in the office. They have no direction other than to do what they can to make good press releases.

Management needs to relax and let people do their jobs properly. Try to actually develop a real product rather than "do deals" that sound good in press releases.

incompetent senior execs

Former Employee - blinkx in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - blinkx in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros

cool idea, online video search

Cons

No regard for employees as human beings. No communication from senior management of corporate strategies - even though there weren't any real missions or strategies or goals they didn't even convey whatever foolish plans they were conceiving. Didn't trust employees, listen to them, or properly utilize their skills. Just head down into their own ultimate destruction. Very odd work environment, no one really seemed to like each other. The MO seemed to be share nothing and if you're forced to, share less than will help your colleague. The attitude trickles down from senior management. Whatever was happening in reality didn't seem to ever line up with whatever they're reporting to the world. Nothing worked as it was supposed to and results appear to be very inflated.

Can't really help. You don't know what you don't know. I just don't understand how people like that get to those positions. It's one of those situations where failure is the norm and no one keeps track of anyone else.

Indifferent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Fast paced, great co-workers, interesting projects. Can make an impact to the direction of the company if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Total lack of respect from management. Lots of mis-truths, white lies, broken promises, public humiliation, indeifference, lack of leadership and indecision.

Show some respect.

Blinkx, A Regret that I can't afford again.

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Compensation
    Nice view
    Web 2.0 space
    Free lunches

Cons

No Effective decision making
    Keeping employees always in pressure
    There seems to be no effective planning coming out from executive management.
    Unprofessional attitude towards employees coming out from Executive management.
    Lot of work that comes with stress because of no planning.

Reorganization is necessary at executive management where more skilled managers and senior executive needs to be put in place. Also, value your employees.

It's incredible blinkx is still around

I worked at blinkx

Pros

I could have stared out the window for hours.

Cons

I couldn't wait to jump out that window.

It's amazing that you can find some of the most despicable people in the industry, lump them together, and put them at the helm of a software company. There is absolutely no upside working for blinkx. The CTO is inept and has no management skills. The CMO keeps the fake hype floating, the COO isn't afraid to show preference certain folks, and don't get me started on the CEO. Wow, he needs to go to therapy to fix his feelings of inadequacy.

Take some business and management courses at the local community college.

Is it the same company they are reviewing?

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

Excellent remuneration
    Opportunity to work at the cutting edge of technology
    A great bunch of people
    Good career development and a sense of progression

Cons

Bitter ex-employees posting whacked out reviews (see anywhere on this page)
    The free Friday lunch (nice idea but could be better!)
    Long hours

More transparency as to long term plans would be nice and better PR. The product we are building is awesome but it's a bit demoralizing when few people I meet even know what Blinkx is.