blinkx Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Best place I have ever worked

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since my first day, my voice has had the same weight as everyone else, regardless of position. This company consistently hires the most talented people they can find which has enabled us to grow at a record pace over the past 2 years. Everyone in our office is always happy and loves being a part of the team and culture we've created together.

Cons

Need to develop more specific teams for each initiative so they can continue to get the attention they deserve without losing steam

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the best in the industry

Great place to work.

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being able to speak to anyone at anytime is great. If there is ever a problem everybody is available to solve the problem quickly. The office is like my extended family and most employes have been here for over 5 years. We have a fully stocked kitchen and great insurance.

Cons

401k could be improved with Blinkx matching a certain percentage.

Advice to Management

More comfortable chairs and a dishwasher would be great.

Innovative Company, Best Staff in the Business

Current Employee - Director of CPC & Display in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director of CPC & Display in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very few companies where you never have to worry about bureaucracy. The new hire who is just learning the space has a voice at the same table as the CEO. There is never a dull moment and you are constantly challenged by your peers, your superiors, and internally. There is a reason why most of the employees have been here for years. At Blinkx we are more like a family and each of us take pride in adding to the success of this great company.

Cons

This job requires you to always be on top of your job. The internet never shuts down and neither do we.

Advice to Management

More comfortable chairs.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are good to work with.

Cons

No communication - upper management shares nothing.

Advice to Management

See above.

good place to learn/grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary

Cons

Confusion on what exactly the products are and how they work (if they work?). With recent acquirement of Burst, there is various new roles that need to be played for your position which is aggravating/confusing. It will take time for this to smooth out.

Advice to Management

Need to be more flexible with employees work hours. Should be allowed to work from home as long as job is getting done and there should be summer hours on Fridays (like most companies of this type in SF).

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

blinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Cons

blinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around. The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Advice to Management

Keep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

Rollercoaster Ride - but a good one

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Faced paced, high reward work environment. Co-workers are no nonsense, smart and hard working. Company is growing fast, creating lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

blinkx is growing so fast that the support infrastructure is having trouble keeping pace. The company needs to focus on how to make the transition from a small organization to a mid-size company.

Advice to Management

Improve companywide communication channels. With the hyper growth that's taken place over the last year management needs to do a better job of communicating to the various business units. Improved communication will help the various business units understand what each other are doing and provide more opportunity for collaboration.

A decent place to start, but not to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

There is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

Cons

Information is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Advice to Management

Fear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

Worst Job Ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My peers were top quality. Everyone was competent and good at their jobs. They all left and got better jobs elsewhere.

Cons

Terrible management. They yell and cuss at others in the office. They have no direction other than to do what they can to make good press releases.

Advice to Management

Management needs to relax and let people do their jobs properly. Try to actually develop a real product rather than "do deals" that sound good in press releases.

incompetent senior execs

Former Employee - blinkx in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - blinkx in San Francisco, CA

Pros

cool idea, online video search

Cons

No regard for employees as human beings. No communication from senior management of corporate strategies - even though there weren't any real missions or strategies or goals they didn't even convey whatever foolish plans they were conceiving. Didn't trust employees, listen to them, or properly utilize their skills. Just head down into their own ultimate destruction. Very odd work environment, no one really seemed to like each other. The MO seemed to be share nothing and if you're forced to, share less than will help your colleague. The attitude trickles down from senior management. Whatever was happening in reality didn't seem to ever line up with whatever they're reporting to the world. Nothing worked as it was supposed to and results appear to be very inflated.

Advice to Management

Can't really help. You don't know what you don't know. I just don't understand how people like that get to those positions. It's one of those situations where failure is the norm and no one keeps track of anyone else.

RSS Feed </> Embed