blinkx Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

A decent place to start, but not to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

There is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

Cons

Information is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Advice to Management

Fear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

Dead end

I worked at blinkx full-time

Pros

Good pay and ok benefits

Cons

Some rotten managers and technology that is not exciting.

Not worth your time

Former Employee - Operations Analyst
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free snacks are nice, and there are some occasionally smart people in the mix at the mid level management and below. I gained some solid experience on both how to run and not run A/B tests, and their analytics, tech, and most of the product people, again, at the mid level, are wicked smart and great to work with.

Cons

The outings a have dropped in spend and the pay is terrible. During my time there I made less than my spouse, who's a teacher. Upward mobility has a lot of dangling carrot methodology- they'll constantly say they want to give your a raise or promotion, but won't actually give it to you. "Products", which is really just adware for the most part, are kept limping along, and they'll take ads or distribution from the seediest of companies. Most testing and feature generation is more of a "this product does it and I think it's cool" situation. Nothing really pushes the bar or seeks to get ahead of the competition. Executive leadership is pretty bad- lots of poor decisions and no focus, with a very strong "I'm the decider and I'm right" attitude. Also, these reviews are really inflated, possibly by execs.

Advice to Management

For the mid level area and below, know when you have a good product idea and actually make it and test it properly- don't just shove it out there. You can make a good product through testing and iteration. To the execs, you're focus on profits and acquisitions does not make good products, and is a waste of resources. Profit are made through good experiences that people like, not buying up more dead weight that happens to make money right now.

You'll gain experience here.. because you literally have to think on your feet and fix everything that breaks each week.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is great, making your own hours, even though you're expected to work weekends... The office culture is split into two. Once someone has pass the 4/5 year mark, you're in with the "good ol boys" group. Free snacks in the kitchen... nothing but junk food. Want to learn a new skill in a hurry? Great because there's always something that's been broken for weeks...years... and it needs to be fixed now.

Cons

Please read the comments below the last 3. True wisdom is there and please run.. RUN. You're on your own after a few months. Not much help or praise is given, a half smile "good job" here or there or "thanks". Then back to work. You're paid next to nothing, and they know it- this is something they're proud of! It's an office full of desperation.... While you look at your co-workers in pity knowing all the hard work they put in for the less than measly pay given. Expect yearly cuts in any bonus, mbos, etc. Forget about an increase in salary or growing with the company in any way shape or form.. except for when others start to leave. They won't hire someone to replace them.... That's now your responsibility. Expect to wear many hats and deal with "that's not my job" and "we have to get this done so stay late" types in the office.

Advice to Management

Validate your employees hard work. Pay them what they're worth. Be loyal to them and the favor will return.

blinkx Response

Jul 10, 2014 – Human Resources

I am sorry you are having a negative experience at blinkx. Over the past 10 years we have worked tirelessly to make this a great place to come to work. We are extremely proud of the company and ... More

While even the highs weren't very high, the lows are a bottomless pit of unhappiness

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One thing blinkx has always had going for it is good people, even as it grows through acquisition. Somehow (most) of the people remain amazing. I don't know how the company has retained so many for so long, although we're definitely starting to see some of the lifers trickle out. And I don't think it's just people coming together to make the best of a bad situation--the majority of people are truly dedicated and talented and fun to be around. Benefits are good. There are some great managers and some of the business leaders know what they're doing.

Cons

It's good we tend to get along, because we see A LOT of each other. The CEO puts in 24 hour days and expects everyone else to, too. Unfortunately most people aren't compensated at his level, so sorry everybody--you're kinda working for free! Everyone complains about the low pay. At a certain management level, no one takes a real vacation. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is the expectation pushed down from above. To make things even more entertaining, we have major attrition and nothing's going to change anytime soon. Like I said, people are abandoning this sinking ship and none of the execs are doing anything about it.

Advice to Management

You know why people are leaving? Because no one likes being one person doing the job of three (except maybe the CEO). Pay us more, respect our lives outside the work day, and stop pretending blinkx is a start up. It WAS a start up. Now it's a raggedy collection of loosely organized businesses held together by spit and despair.

blinkx Response

Jan 27, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to hear you recognize the rockstars we have here at blinkx! We are always striving to be better and will take your comments into ... More

Lack of Direction

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. San Francisco Office next to Ferry Building 2. Catered lunch (but only once a week) 3. Some people who work there are very cool 4. Total pay package is OK (but salary lacking)

Cons

1. They don't know who to hire for what positions. A couple of recent hires have just disappeared and I'm scared to ask why. 2. Long term growth doesn't seem to be there with a lack of mobile advertising direction. 3. YouTube is just superior in every way 4. Load pay package with bonuses (which are attainable) but that means you are taxed at a much higher rate and you make less than if you would if they just paid higher base salaries. 5. Stock options are worthless 6. The smartest person at the company (C.O.O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it.

Advice to Management

There is no communication to employees except for really big announcements (like the C.O.O leaving). No one knows what direction the company is heading in... new flash, it's down. 300+ employees and 10+ offices, that doesn't seem to be very smart.

Not Great, but Not Bad

Pros

There was a flexible schedule and independence. Vacation wasn't too bad either and you do learn a lot.

Cons

Not great people to work with, not very professional and the staff is very green and junior. Many have bad attitude and there's a lot of racial discrimination. Not a good environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Look into your Montreal office...Lot of shady business dealings there.

Company targeting a niche market with a reducing opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pizza on fridays, flexible hours if you like to start at 11am, management just don't care.

Cons

office very far away from the subway, low salary compare to all the work and responsibilities asked to put on, lazy management: The director of marketing clearly prefer to take times off to play cricket (yes...) at least 2 times a weeks than spending time with its team to improve results.The motto "Lead by example" was clearly never heard off in this company.

Advice to Management

Get your priority right, having a prestigious office downtown isn't gonna make the company better, nor is it going to improve your revenues. The company that was occupying our office before were around 30-40 people, we were less than 15 and management wants to move to a bigger office because you think this is too small?that Despite falling revenues because our business model sucks? Mangement should save on cost and invest in badly needed marketing and developing new channels instead of that management decide to rent an office right downtown Montreal which will cost 3 to 4 times what we are paying in current office. Then they decide to lay down tow of their best business developers to save on cost so they can move to a more prestigious office they clearly don't need...

Blinkx is a terrible place to work. Poor leadership and communication from management.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Cool technology and hot industry. It's also a good location in downtown San Francisco near the Ferry building.

Cons

The management is very poor leaders and just puppets to the primary investors. Also a very competitive industry so not a lot of upside. They structure your salary as such: 70% base salary and 30% bonus salary. That's true for all their employees! So for example say you agree to $100k salary in your offer. You'll only get a guaranteed 70k!

Advice to Management

Get some management training and understand why the company has such a high turnover rate. All your employees are unhappy but you have no idea.

Relatively fun job, but bad management.

Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Interviews that are easy to ace. Makes it an easy tech job to get as a recent college graduate. Blinkx is a company that boasts "new cool technologies" so it's easier to advance your career after you leave the place. You also learn a good mix of new tools and technologies while you are there. Most co-workers are the young and hip crowd so they are fun to hang out with during non-working hours. The location (financial district of San Francisco, CA) is also nice. Lots of activities in that area before, during, and after work. Free diet coke, peach vitamin water, orange juice, sparkling water, and Friday lunches.

Cons

Cursing is okay in the office so there is almost daily verbal abuse (rated MA-17) from middle and upper management. Nasty-gram emails also gets sent just as often. No feedback or constructive criticism, but rather personal criticism targeting the employee. Also, there is no main Human Resource person to talk to about these issues. We had a loaner HR person, and also nothing can be done if this abuse comes from the CEO, CTO, or CFO themselves. Bonus compensation depends whether the CEO is having a good day or not when he is writing the checks. When I asked why I did not get the full bonus, no answer is given. There was no criticism on how I can perform better so that I can achieve the full bonus. Management expects you to work longer hours, on weekends, and during vacation. They also expect you to be at work 5 minutes before 8:30am everyday. Cramped workspace with 2-3 feet of elbow room between you and the next employee. There is no serious internal documentation on any proprietary technology. A lot of lying to the customers about features that are not there, demos/prototype that are mostly fabricated, and blatant copying of other company's products. Lastly, when you put in your 2 weeks notice for leaving, there is a good chance that they will just tell you to take your stuff and go home on-the-spot.

Advice to Management

You should ease up on the strictness a little and boost your employees' morale. Give them more incentives to work for you. Lastly, please no more nasty-grams or verbal abuses!

RSS Feed </> Embed