blinkx Reviews

Updated July 31, 2014
3.1

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary (in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to learn/grow

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary

Cons

Confusion on what exactly the products are and how they work (if they work?). With recent acquirement of Burst, there is various new roles that need to be played for your position which is aggravating/confusing. It will take time for this to smooth out.

Need to be more flexible with employees work hours. Should be allowed to work from home as long as job is getting done and there should be summer hours on Fridays (like most companies of this type in SF).

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time for less than a year

Pros

blinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Cons

blinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around.

The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Keep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

The dips of the roller coaster are evening out.

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues. Great vision. A good, professional vibe. Right now I think I have a feeling that the stars are beginning to align and we're becoming a "normal" company.

Cons

A increasing feeling of disconnect from the product. I know the site is being redone, but it's taken forever to even acknowledge that it needed to happen. There is also silo-ization of the group by acquisition and product set. True, this could be overcome by the upcoming intranet, but it's a late and an internet was available through the Zango acquisition. It was sneered at.

It seems like most of the things that I think should happen are in the works. So I guess it's all about execution at this point.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Direction

I worked at blinkx full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. San Francisco Office next to Ferry Building
    2. Catered lunch (but only once a week)
    3. Some people who work there are very cool
    4. Total pay package is OK (but salary lacking)

Cons

1. They don't know who to hire for what positions. A couple of recent hires have just disappeared and I'm scared to ask why.
    2. Long term growth doesn't seem to be there with a lack of mobile advertising direction.
    3. YouTube is just superior in every way
    4. Load pay package with bonuses (which are attainable) but that means you are taxed at a much higher rate and you make less than if you would if they just paid higher base salaries.
    5. Stock options are worthless
    6. The smartest person at the company (C.O.O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it.

There is no communication to employees except for really big announcements (like the C.O.O leaving). No one knows what direction the company is heading in... new flash, it's down. 300+ employees and 10+ offices, that doesn't seem to be very smart.

Rollercoaster Ride - but a good one

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

Faced paced, high reward work environment. Co-workers are no nonsense, smart and hard working. Company is growing fast, creating lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

blinkx is growing so fast that the support infrastructure is having trouble keeping pace. The company needs to focus on how to make the transition from a small organization to a mid-size company.

Improve companywide communication channels. With the hyper growth that's taken place over the last year management needs to do a better job of communicating to the various business units. Improved communication will help the various business units understand what each other are doing and provide more opportunity for collaboration.

HORRIBLE

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

Free lunches
    Coworkers are generally cool unless they're at mid-management or higher
    A fully stocked fridge and kitchen
    Pay is decent

Cons

Everything else. If you like working in a boring, stuffy work environment with management breathing down your neck at every step, this might be the place for you.

Listen to your employees. Realize that you don't actually know everything. Show your employees some respect and reward ingenuity and hard work instead of trying to bend them to your will.

A decent place to start, but not to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

Cons

Information is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Fear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

Worst Job Ever

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

My peers were top quality. Everyone was competent and good at their jobs. They all left and got better jobs elsewhere.

Cons

Terrible management. They yell and cuss at others in the office. They have no direction other than to do what they can to make good press releases.

Management needs to relax and let people do their jobs properly. Try to actually develop a real product rather than "do deals" that sound good in press releases.

I'm so glad this place is behind me, wish I never joined

I worked at blinkx

Pros

The senior managers have really cool accents. It’s like working for a mean little Hugh Grant. If you like senior managers who are bad at managing but have really cool accents, then you’ll love it here.

Most middle managers and peers are good people. Their morale is low, but they’re good people.

Cons

The work environment is the worst. Senior management sees themselves as brilliant wiz-kids and all employees as vermin. Employees are disrespected and constantly reminded of their expendability. Folks are scared of the penalties of a bad decision so they don’t make decisions on their own. Their fear keeps them from investing any time in helping out fellow peers, it’s all about protecting yourself.

It’s just no fun to be treated so poorly and seeing people you respect being treated even worse. There’s an uncomfortable, depressing feeling everywhere, in meetings, in conversations, in work habits that all stem from the awful senior management.

It’s probably too late. No one from senior management understands good leadership. B-slap the top five and replace with smart, respectful, experienced leaders and maybe there’s hope.

If you're thinking of applying for a job here, you may want to think again.

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Conceptually a great service, unfortunately not so great in reality.
    Some (but not all) wonderful co-workers, who give, and give, and give.
    Generally fair pay.

Cons

Paranoid, egotistical management, with poor people skills.
    Disorganized, lots of balls being dropped, in generally all departments.
    Low morale, many employees who would normally leave this company feel stuck because of the poor economy.

Needs an overhaul top down, especially at the top, but may be too late for that - doubtful if Blinkx could attract the right kind of management talent now.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!