blinkx

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Since my first day, my voice has had the same weight as everyone else, regardless of position. This company consistently hires the most talented people they can find which has enabled us to grow at a record pace over the past 2 years. Everyone in our office is always happy and loves being a part of the team and culture we've created together.

Cons

Need to develop more specific teams for each initiative so they can continue to get the attention they deserve without losing steam

Continue to hire the best in the industry

Easily the most laid back and self-rewarding company I've worked at

Current Employee - Senior Inventory Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Inventory Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at blinkx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Blinkx is a company that is both fiscally stable and maintains a roster of the smartest people in the industry. It's the type of company where you are rewarded for your production/input. The pay, benefits, and company culture is amazing, and is almost too fun at times.

You have the potential to earn more than any other company I've seen, and those efforts are noticed...Brian knows my name personally and what I've contributed. He seems to go out of his way to make sure personally knows everyone possible open door policy at all times. If you come in with the right attitude, you'll be compensated far beyond what I've seen any other ad network or entertainment company

Also, NBA Jam Tournament Edition is an excellent thing to have in any office

Cons

Like any company that leaves your experience and compensation entirely in your hands, you have a mix of attitudes - war heroes, gossip/social butterfly types, disgruntled about expected earnings, sharks, "class clowns," etc (typical 8 types of employee mindsets).

If you're the type of person who isn't self-motivated and willing to make your position your personal business...it might not be the place for you. My role is one that basically makes me a business within a business, and I couldn't be happier about

A lot of the posts that are negative seem to be from people who came in expecting to get the A treatment regardless of their work, or felt micromanaged during their tenure.

Keep the company culture as is, and continue down the path we're on.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people are good to work with.

Cons

No communication - upper management shares nothing.

See above.

Ok company to start your career with

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ok company to start your career with

Cons

there is no training of any kind

Innovative Company, Best Staff in the Business

Current Employee - Director of CPC & Display in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director of CPC & Display in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are very few companies where you never have to worry about bureaucracy. The new hire who is just learning the space has a voice at the same table as the CEO. There is never a dull moment and you are constantly challenged by your peers, your superiors, and internally. There is a reason why most of the employees have been here for years. At Blinkx we are more like a family and each of us take pride in adding to the success of this great company.

Cons

This job requires you to always be on top of your job. The internet never shuts down and neither do we.

More comfortable chairs.

Good co-workers, fast-moving and chaotic.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart coworkers.
    Opportunity to learn/grow
    Free food on Fridays and nice office
    When the share price was right-high value options

Cons

When the share price is low options were NOT valuable!
    Chaotic management style in engineering
    lots of projects and changes to projects

Try to let engineers work on their projects for longer so the product can be better
    Keep letting people learn new technologies

good place to learn/grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary

Cons

Confusion on what exactly the products are and how they work (if they work?). With recent acquirement of Burst, there is various new roles that need to be played for your position which is aggravating/confusing. It will take time for this to smooth out.

Need to be more flexible with employees work hours. Should be allowed to work from home as long as job is getting done and there should be summer hours on Fridays (like most companies of this type in SF).

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

blinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Cons

blinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around.

The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Keep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

The dips of the roller coaster are evening out.

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues. Great vision. A good, professional vibe. Right now I think I have a feeling that the stars are beginning to align and we're becoming a "normal" company.

Cons

A increasing feeling of disconnect from the product. I know the site is being redone, but it's taken forever to even acknowledge that it needed to happen. There is also silo-ization of the group by acquisition and product set. True, this could be overcome by the upcoming intranet, but it's a late and an internet was available through the Zango acquisition. It was sneered at.

It seems like most of the things that I think should happen are in the works. So I guess it's all about execution at this point.

Lack of Direction

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. San Francisco Office next to Ferry Building
    2. Catered lunch (but only once a week)
    3. Some people who work there are very cool
    4. Total pay package is OK (but salary lacking)

Cons

1. They don't know who to hire for what positions. A couple of recent hires have just disappeared and I'm scared to ask why.
    2. Long term growth doesn't seem to be there with a lack of mobile advertising direction.
    3. YouTube is just superior in every way
    4. Load pay package with bonuses (which are attainable) but that means you are taxed at a much higher rate and you make less than if you would if they just paid higher base salaries.
    5. Stock options are worthless
    6. The smartest person at the company (C.O.O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it.

There is no communication to employees except for really big announcements (like the C.O.O leaving). No one knows what direction the company is heading in... new flash, it's down. 300+ employees and 10+ offices, that doesn't seem to be very smart.