christopher consultants

Updated December 10, 2014
3.4

christopher consultants President William R. Zink
William R. Zink

Very good people to work with

Current Employee - Project Manager in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at christopher consultants full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It has a good and professional work environment. The executive value good people. The CEO is very energetic and with great plans for the company. The Land Development Vice President (Mike Kitchen) is a very good rounded professional. Inspires the best of people.

Cons

A group of the senior management is close to retirement, but this might also be considered an opportunity. They are taking the right steps towards the next people coming up. It is still a small firm in regards to resources and technology. Offices are only given to senior management.

Keep up the good work.

A depressing job. I didn't like working here

Former Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at christopher consultants full-time

Pros

I took this job because I needed to start making money, and for no other reason. I'll list what Pros I can think of, but my experience there left me with almost only Cons.

I joined mid October, so within the first three months there were many non-work events that we were still paid for plus the actual holidays that we were given off. They were mostly just potluck style events with a general theme of the closest holiday. They cooked bratwurst around Halloween, traditional Thanksgiving food near Thanksgiving, and a Christmas party that included a white elephant gift exchange. All of these included company provided alcohol which was nice.

Another Pro was paid Civil 3D training for an hour every two weeks to a month.

Cons

As I stated previously, I only took this job because I had recently graduated and needed to start working. A lot of the cons are little things that add up to make it miserable.

- Always had trouble with their phone systems not working correctly
    - Very disorganized both with physical and digital storage. Inconsistent file system
    - Block all media sites. I know we aren't getting paid to use the internet, but every other company I've worked for allowed us to listen to internet radio. The degree to which they monitored the network was a little scary, like 1984.
    - Insufficient equipment and broken equipment. Even just office supplies that didn't work. It slowed things down a lot and made the job very frustrating.
    - Printer/plotter/scanner was always broken. There was someone in there trying to fix it almost every week.
    - bathroom had no ventilation, so any and all smells always lingered
    - Lack of any real training. I was assigned a mentor, but our relationship wasn't any different than the relationship between other coworkers.
    - On my first day, I was given my on boarding information and forms and told to read it over at my desk, sign everything once I had read through it and return it to the HR director. Once I had done that, I went back to my desk, one of the PE's gave me an assignment, and that was it. They never formally explained how things were run or gave me information about the company. I thought it was a very depressing way to start a job.
    - There was a lot of inappropriate discussion topics among employees. A few examples include: married men asking for a hot receptionist, many jokes about hookers, rape and drugs. I also heard the CEO ask how another employee's sex life was.
    - I didn't like how the Civil 3D training was two hours, but they only paid for an hour, so we still had to stay an hour later at work without getting paid.
    - It is a very dull company filled with very dull people
    - It is an old office, and a very depressing place to walk into every day

Give your employees the tools they need to do their job, and if there are tools that are broken, fix or replace them. Institute an official on boarding and training program, especially for recent grads.

christopher consultants Response

Jan 9, 2015Director, Human Resources

christopher consultants is committed to making the employee experience a positive one and we continually look for ways to improve our office operations to ensure that we are providing consistent ... More

Progressive and Well Established

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at christopher consultants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company spends a lot of effort growing and developing its staff. They care about people on an individual level. Fun, random employee events. Laid-back environment. Really great people!

Cons

Could be more communication. Some leaders are not as progressive as others.

Keep up the development opportunities!

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at christopher consultants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, good leadership, and most of all the possibility to advance. ccl also has a progressive business model that builds confidence for the future.

Cons

They have an open layout that can be distracting at times (no cubicles and very few offices) so headphones are good to have on hand!

Continue to be open to new ideas and growth. I think they are doing a wonderful job and I enjoy working for them. It is the first company I've worked for that I could see myself retiring from.

What a Mess!

Former Employee - Manager in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Manassas, VA

I worked at christopher consultants

Pros

Co-workers are the only asset.

Cons

Micro management; management reads all incoming mail before distribution due to paranoia; managment routinely reads outgoing email (again paranoid); very poorly managed company. No HR Manager! There was one in place but laid off.

Get rid of your executive vice president and hire an HR rep.

A very poorly managed company

Former Employee - Surveyor in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Surveyor in Manassas, VA

I worked at christopher consultants

Pros

Christopher consultants is a place to collect a regular paycheck. It is a job, not a career.

Cons

Very bad communication between management and employees. They have a yearly "state of the union" address in which they try to address employees concerns and ideas. Chris Brown openly ridicules any critisism which of course discourages the employees from making any suggestions. The survey department is run by unqualified personnel and has a very high turnover rate. They do not follow any safety procedures for the employees and will not provide safety equipment. Most attempts to improve employee morale are superficial and carefully monitored and manipulated by the management. They like to keep strict tabs on all the employees and even "fix" the employee of the month box, putting in their favorites instead of letting the co-workers decide. Chris Brown turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to all the low, mean-spirited and harmful acts of his vice president. Employee's have an awful opinion of him and he has done much harm to the reputation of the company.

They need to really open up and change their ways if they want to be competitive
    with their product.

good place to start

I worked at christopher consultants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to start to gain experience

Cons

with the housing market gone bust, land development is very slow, unfortunately CCL is primary a Land development company.