comScore

comScore Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

comScore Chief Executive Officer Serge Matta

Serge Matta

Pros
  • Work/ Life balance is there and we get laptops to work from home for any emergencies (in 9 reviews)

• Very smart people who work hard and are willing to help (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • While they talk about work-life balance, they don't actually practice it (in 10 reviews)

• can have long hours depending on client and project (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor treatment of its employees leads to high turnover

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsExciting field, super smart folks, great technology and lots of good work. Technology and research fields are exciting and marketing has done a great job getting comScore brand recognized globally.

ConsExtremely poor work-life balance, extremely high turnover, CEO states he wants folks on the job day and night, they prefer burning or pushing out experienced employees in favor of cheap college grads, below-market compensation and benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to value your people assets, and improve management training overall

Overtime All-the-Time

ProsFree snacks/coffee
    Immediately work on projects for well known companies
    Young office, lots of happy hours
    Relaxed dress code
    Good learning experience for someone right out of college

ConsCEO: "comScore is not a 9 to 5 place to work". Expect to consistently work beyond the standard work week, and even longer if you want to get ahead.

Clients are never told no - contracts are not written to be specific so the client is able to ask for whatever they want and get it...one factor that leads to long hours. Also, data is manipulated to show what makes client look good, rather than reality.

People frequently leave the company or move to different teams. This is a pro if you're the person doing so, but if you're the one that stays it leads to more work/training the replacement.

The 401k match rate is geared towards those who are not concerned about retirement.

All about making clients happy, not delivering a good product

Manager (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsFlexible about work hours, dress code, IT policy. Lots of free food, lunches, happy hours. Relatively high starting salaries for younger employees.

ConsClients are never told no. Data integrity is not important to most managers. Priority is making clients happy by delivering data that gives clients 'good news' whether or not the data is sound. Result is 'yes men' get ahead in the company while people who question data quality do not.

Too many layers of management, VPs report to other VPs who report to senior VPs who report to Executive VPs...

Salaries are ok, but no bonuses for employees below Director level. 401k match is so small its almost nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute system of checks on data integrity or make changes to reporting structure to remove incentives for salespeople to mislead clients to increase sales numbers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start a career but it really matters which team you're on

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsRelaxed work environment, flexible hours, generous time off policy. A good place to start out and make friends and get your feet wet in the corporate culture.

ConsSome teams promote their employees all the time, some don't at all which seems unfair. Management tends to play favorites and those who aren't in the "in-crowd" can be left behind

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites. Consider not waiting until the last minute to solve problems and forcing everyone to scramble.

Focal point of innovation in the industry

Vice President (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsSharp, creative people with tremendous drive to creating new solutions. A playground for trailblazers. Solid meritocracy where high performers are recognized and rewarded.

ConsPressure of being first to market can create fire drills. Disconnect in communication between senior leadership and staff make it difficult for some to see their contribution to the bigger picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communicate corporate vision to general staff

Great as a start for a career, but its down hill after that

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat at the start. Projects are pretty interesting and great exposure

ConsCant learn much because everything is fake!
    Loads of politics and its not an ideal company to be in for more than 2 years

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to watch the potential and start noticing hard working employees.

comScore is smart but not perfect

ProsTop notch clients- top notch co workers - learning a lot - a company with a lot of bright people- I really like working for comScore- even if I have some very big cons.

ConsLong hours- low pay and client expectations are not set correctly. No one ever tells a client no. Speaking up is not welcomed. You feel like things aren't open and available to most people. Little to no room to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to speak up- a lot of great people are at comScore - let them shine.

Product Manager Summer Internship

Product Manager Intern (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsPeople were helpful
    They treat their interns well
    High probability, IF YOU NETWORK WELL, of converting into full-time

ConsNEED to network well, not just do your work well.

A Big Disappointment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll I could come up with is:

1. Work with "big name" companies.

2. Work with "real time" data.

... it's a short list, I know.

Cons1. Very cliquish; difficult to "break in" to the group. Some long-time employees treat you with disrespect because you're "the new guy" so I found it very difficult to fit in.

2. While they talk about work-life balance, they don't actually practice it. You're to be "plugged in" all the time. They want you online on your company-issued laptop and they "strongly encourage" you to set up your work email on your personal cell phone, too. It basically becomes a 24-hour per day job.

Get an email at 2:15AM? You better answer it! If you wait until you get to the office in the morning, you'll be questioned about why you didn't answer it, lectured as to how important it is that you be "in the loop" and then

3. Telecommuting is offered, but there definition is a little different. They'll let you work from home, but that's after a 10+ hour day of working in the office.

4. Talent flight. I would hear the conversations in the break room or cafeteria of people who were openly complaining about the environment and their desire to leave as soon as they can. I wasn't surprised when I would hear that so-and-so had left to work for another company.

5. Rumor mongering! Goodness gracious but there was always someone talking about someone else! Now that I think about it, this is tied to Cons #1....

6. Questionable practices and methodologies. They are in a competitive market but I saw "smudging of numbers" -- "Is that a 1 or a 7? Let's see how it works out with both and go with the one that gives us the best answer!"

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't even dare to give them any advice. They already have all the answers; and, if they don't, they'll make them up as they go along and hope it works out.

Director

Sales Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsInnovative products and dynamic learning community, teamwork orientation

ConsHigh churn rate and lack of onboarding support

Worked for comScore? Contribute to the Community!