d.e.Foxx & Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Foxx

A high-potential stepping stone

ProsThe bigger-picture experience that can be gained here is excellent. Being a smaller company, you have access to almost everyone at any given time, and therefore can learn all sides of the business. Just about everyone that started here right out of college got a great job right after working here.

ConsUnfortunately, the reason that you are able to gain all of this experience is because a lot is thrown at you as a 'fresh out'. Young, inexpensive minds are given big-picture tasks that would be more appropriate for mid- to higher-level managers. The problem is that middle-managers don't exist, and the higher level executive put out a vibe that they are above dirty work because of their titles.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old-school leadership seems to be trying to make the company new & innovative by hiring young employees right out of college. The problem is that these younger employees just get tainted by the old ways, and as much as the executives want to lead the change, they are probably the most resistant.

I would recommend devising a more consistent direction for the company: either 1) moving away from the family first, business second mentality while hiring ambitious college grads who will only get frustrated and leave; or 2) keeping with the old-school ways but recognizing it and not imposing dissonance upon everyone. I think the first option would lead to more rapid growth, because there definitely IS demand in this industry, but the second option would definitely keep the company afloat and profitable for the family to live off of.

The current state of the company is such that all progress eventually is erased or minimized every year or so because of the extremely high turnover of everyone who is in the bottom 75% of the company. After taking in all of the facts, my thoughts are that a more realistic hiring strategy would do wonders for both morale and the bottom line for d.e. Foxx.

Stay away. Far, far away.

Business Promotion (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsEmployees gain exposure to many different levels of responsibility because of the small size of the organization and the very small staff.

ConsBeing a small company with big aspirations, d.e. Foxx offers lots of promise with very little support to back up their claims, promises to clients and career progression for employees. This company is moderately successful despite poor management and organization structure. What essentially keeps them going is their connection to a Cincinnati-based consumer goods giant who spoon feeds them work based on Foxx and it's satellite companies (Versatex, Validex, XLC Services, Foxx Construction, Xerve) being MBE owned.

There is no performance management system, therefore no formal structure for obtaining feedback on job performance and little opportunity for salary increases or career progression. Whether an employee is a so called "fresh-out" campus hire or a long-termer, you're screwed financially. Because of the lack of staffing, the work is piled on high and employees are expected to work ridiculous hours and be "on call" at all hours to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe owner is a single-minded guy who has his own ideas about how to manage his company. He's always looking for the next great idea while not fully developing what he has. No amount of advice will ever be considered by this guy.

Small company, poorly organized great for short-term work only

Human Resources Site Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThere was little leadership, direction or help/training offered and a very absent manager, giving me the freedom to try out new project that I could single handedly lead, also making it a great testing ground. Their only client is Proctor and Gamble and I dealt with many placement agencies (our vendors), giving me great exposure for future jobs. For a first job, an internship or anything short-term, it's a great learning experience. It's also a very fast-paced environment so you never get bored.

ConsMy boss worked from another city and avoided doing anything that dealt with negativity (after I told her I wanted to leave the company, she managed to avoid speaking about the subject with me for over a month, avoided any exit strategies and acted shocked when I left the building on my last day). My only locally-based colleague rarely showed up at work, breezed in late mornings or slept at her desk, killing any learning/training opportunities for me. All this seemed "normal" for my boss back in Cincinnati. I can't speak for the people working at the head office as my contact with them was limited but from my interactions, most were very nice and helpful when I did deal with them, maybe if I worked in Cincinnati my work situation would have been different. Also, there is absolutely no pay increase process within the company, I was told that I needed to stay with the company for at least 12-18 months before we can even speak of a pay increase. regardless of what might be promised to you, there aren't any advancement opportunities and they will give you an insane amount of work for very little money. The entire company is a single-client based one and we were so understaffed, with little support or training that our client was definitely underserved as we were all pretty much overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your own human resources: cut the deadweights, support the ones that work hard, make sure your employees show up at work and be present/listen to your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a rough ride.

Refuse to Disclose (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsMost of the people there are very well-qualified and professional. The building is very accessible to downtown.

ConsThe owners are very micro-managing. The building is old, cold, and outdated. The equipment provided to employees is far less than exemplary. Most of the mid-management are over-worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go. You've hired some very diligent, qualified people to run your business, so let them run it, or you will see more people looking to move on. You can't manage a company of this size with only your family to help you.

Worse place ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGaining experience for another job.

ConsWork place politics are awful, hard to get a raise, upper management leaves a lot to be desired. They do not care for offsite employees. Even if you do an excellent job for this employer they do not recognize your efforts. No room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of whom you place your loyalties to. Screen future employees better for violent tendencies.

Terrible

Industrial Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsIt is only good for building your resume.

ConsThey try to hunt the fresh-out engineers to get more cheaper talents. They do not have any career development plan. They ignore the senior ones when they need any promotion or raise. They perceive that the senior ones are more expensive for them. It is not a data based company. There is always some politics between the people. Most of the business are because they are Minority Business Enterprise, so they get their business with some personnel connections and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo, because they are hopeless. I am pretty much sure that they will ignore this one as well.

Great Company to Grow and Develop In

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsAs a recent graduate, I was given a lot of responsibility with my job duties and was given the opportunity for development by sitting in on a leadership course with top management. The company has a great development program for recent college graduates. The people that work at the company are very professional and friendly which makes it an ideal work environment. I would highly recommend working here!

ConsThe location could be better, but it is still downtown and centrally located.

Not a very well ran company, does not follow e.o.e

Cincinnati, OH

ProsThere were no pros to this job. They do not run the business very well. Stay away from d.e. Foxx

ConsLow pay, politics, poor management, HR could not hire for the life of them. Not worried about employees but the end result only

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to hire people who are qualified for the position, Start with firing you HR manager because she does a terrible job.

Good place to learn, sometimes they still act like a small company but they are getting better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe people are great and believe in what they are doing. the leadership and hr are fair and respectable, there are a lot of smart people that are working there

Consthe direction of the company is unknown, still run like a small company sometimes but expect big company results

Worst company I have ever worked for.

(Current Employee)

Pros. It puts experience on a resume, thats about it.

ConsThe one word to describe this organization---terrible They lie about raises, they do not keep any of their promises and they have a very deceiving “sales pitch” to get young college students and new managers to join their organizational brands. They underpay all of their employees, from the hourly workers up to the site and regional managers. Do not believe anything HR or their managers say because unless you get it in writing it is worthless. They are a very small company posing as a large successful company. There is no line of communication between their corporate office and the sites. Please trust me when I say that even going to an interview with this company is a waist of time. Do not work for DE Foxx, XLC, Validex, or Versitex. Keep searching.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees (401k match, better benefits, vacation in the first year!) When you promise raises, actually give them.

Worked for d.e.Foxx & Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at d.e.Foxx & Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for d.e.Foxx & Associates CEO David Foxx. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by d.e.Foxx & Associates employees.