drillinginfo

Updated November 17, 2014
4.1

drillinginfo Co-founder, Chairman, and CEO Allen Gilmer
Allen Gilmer

DI is a company full of hardworking passionate individuals and I am happy to go there each day.

Current Employee - GIS Technician III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - GIS Technician III in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working on new projects and having the freedom define my own workflow. The GIS department offers a flex schedule which I enjoy.

Cons

The fast pace of drillinginfo demands that you keep producing at top levels and there is no shortage of things to get accomplished. This can be overwhelming at times.

Continue keeping employees happy with incentives and rewards. This is highly appreciated and I always look forward to the new initiatives coming to the office. Also, keep communication flowing so we know where the company is headed too!

Small Company and No E-Brake

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at drillinginfo as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Friendly and welcoming, almost always meet someone new.
    - Eager and outgoing personality.
    - Passion to provide the best they can (applied to certain departments).

Cons

- For how much talking happens, no one seems to talk business with each other, very disambiguated from employee to employee, manager to subordinate, etc.
    - Business related topics get lost in the shuffle in meetings, half of them are about chatting.
    - Manager to subordinate bullying, managers feel that their metrics don't count and only yours do. You're often reminded of the Managers pull in getting simple things like a laptop to getting better business practices in place. Talking down to their subordinates is common.

- One-on-one's will help discourage manager-subordinate bullying. This is not an emotionally healthy environment.
    - Having monthly meetings that cover the overall company goals, not just accomplishments, will help employees see the big picture and which direction to head.
    - As soon as possible, identify policies and procedures of coworker interaction and healthy ways to communicate, not only these policies but at least have an orientation that helps new employees understand the company, their role, and policies to protect them from managers.

Amateurs

Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I worked at drillinginfo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Business casual working environment / Work - Life Balance

Cons

Other posts have mentioned bullying, office politics, unorganized departments, low wages, etc. That about sums it up.

People kissing up to you and making you feel good about yourself should be left within your personal network. Basing promotions / major decisions for the company off of these "feelings" you have for people is one reason you keep losing revenue. The other reason is that more acquisitions does not = more value to your customer base.

Great Culture, although sometime monotonous work.

Current Employee - GIS Technician I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - GIS Technician I in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good culture and people. Supervisors tend to ask your opinion on issues regardless of how low on the totem pole you may be. They are also very flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes work is boring and monotonous and not necessarily challenging.

Better Wages. The pay is low for anyone much less a person with a college degree.

Amazing

I have been working at drillinginfo

Pros

great people, awesome environment, amazing flex schedule.

Cons

you must be a self starter. They do not hold your hand in training, just give you the basic tasks and its sometimes up to you to find the information to fill in the blanks.

Fantastic Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at drillinginfo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and grow. These guys really know their stuff about the oil and gas industry. Management is accessible and listens to feedback from all levels within company.

Cons

A little unorganized and pay is not as competitive as other software companies in the upstream oil and gas market.

Ok company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at drillinginfo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture is great and geared towards passion for the oil and gas industry. Some really nice people work here. Good exposure to the oil and gas industry.

Cons

A lot of office politics existed when I worked here. Promotion was thanks to who you know and whose behind you kissed the most. High employee turnover. Pay is below industry average. No policies in place to address poor managers who bully their subordinates. Sometimes It can start to feel like you're working for Ken Lay or Bernie Madoff (too much pressure to achieve aggressive sales numbers)

Make an effort to discourage/eradicate corporate politics while you're still small, else it'll be hard to control when you grow bigger or get an IPO. Company's like Bernie Madoff, worldCom, etc, all fell thanks to unethical corporate culture and office politics

Good Company

I worked at drillinginfo

Pros

Nice people, strong product, good culutre

Cons

Somewhat disorganized and scattered in growth

OK company to work for

I worked at drillinginfo

Pros

-- Drillinginfo has products that I really believe in. Tons of potential behind them to create real value for oil and gas professional.
    -- The founder / visionary behind DI is quite smart and charismatic.
    -- Promotion from within (this is both a pro and con, as some of the 'leaders' were not suitable to be doing so)

Cons

The pay was decent - not great - and I felt that they especially seemed to find experienced candidates and try to win them over to the company, but not pay them market value.
    -- Technology was behind, but improving.
    -- The products worked pretty well generally (but were a bit buggy)
    -- Management had passion, which is great, however you definitely got the small company feel, as many of the top players had no real training to be running a software company -- and you could feel it. A few attempts were made to turn the technology group into a proper Agile unit, but they were half-hearted and fleeting.

You need to have more experienced software architects and insist that the technology stays up-to-date. You will run off any top talent because they do not want to have their skills fall behind. Even worse, they will be uninspired to go the extra mile for you if you are not feeding their desire to grow. You will end up with dev talent wasted as they do the minimum to collect a paycheck.

The Technology and Energy Industries make strange bed fellows, but it works here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at drillinginfo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people at this company have a heart of gold, just ask a new person. The people work hard to please management and when management recognizes the extra effort they go all out.

Cons

One of the best cons to have is growing pains and this company has it in spades. We've grown so fast and have had to work in reaction mode for so long that we're going to break if the effort is not taken to be pro-active for future growth. (Management has identified this problem and has a plan in place to address it, but you can tell it's been happening)

Empowering your people does not mean leave them to make a decision by sink or swim. And, you have to pay a little extra for quality.

drillinginfo Photos