drillinginfo

Updated Jul 5, 2014

drillinginfo Co-founder, Chairman, and CEO Allen Gilmer

Allen Gilmer

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people, strong product, good culutre

ConsSomewhat disorganized and scattered in growth

OK company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-- Drillinginfo has products that I really believe in. Tons of potential behind them to create real value for oil and gas professional.
    -- The founder / visionary behind DI is quite smart and charismatic.
    -- Promotion from within (this is both a pro and con, as some of the 'leaders' were not suitable to be doing so)

ConsThe pay was decent - not great - and I felt that they especially seemed to find experienced candidates and try to win them over to the company, but not pay them market value.
    -- Technology was behind, but improving.
    -- The products worked pretty well generally (but were a bit buggy)
    -- Management had passion, which is great, however you definitely got the small company feel, as many of the top players had no real training to be running a software company -- and you could feel it. A few attempts were made to turn the technology group into a proper Agile unit, but they were half-hearted and fleeting.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to have more experienced software architects and insist that the technology stays up-to-date. You will run off any top talent because they do not want to have their skills fall behind. Even worse, they will be uninspired to go the extra mile for you if you are not feeding their desire to grow. You will end up with dev talent wasted as they do the minimum to collect a paycheck.

The Technology and Energy Industries make strange bed fellows, but it works here

Austin, TX

ProsMost of the people at this company have a heart of gold, just ask a new person. The people work hard to please management and when management recognizes the extra effort they go all out.

ConsOne of the best cons to have is growing pains and this company has it in spades. We've grown so fast and have had to work in reaction mode for so long that we're going to break if the effort is not taken to be pro-active for future growth. (Management has identified this problem and has a plan in place to address it, but you can tell it's been happening)

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpowering your people does not mean leave them to make a decision by sink or swim. And, you have to pay a little extra for quality.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Culture

Austin, TX

ProsGreat, laid-back people with can-do attitudes. Smaller size but, growing quickly. Your part in the company makes a difference in the whole goal of the company

ConsLess corporate structure, slower promotions and raises, smaller bonuses. Need better communication between groups on what each group does

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closure attention to market value for employees for your industry

Very friendly work place, caring managers and wonderful career opportunities.

Austin, TX

ProsGrowing at a high rate, this workplace continues to thrive!

ConsSales is rewarded much more than the remaining employees.

A growing company fueled by passionate employees who truly want to improve the O&G industry.

Dallas, TX

ProsAmazing people with various backgrounds, freedom to explore the impossible, room for creativity, excellent Sales Team experience, group work environment, multiple locations, broad range of C level clients, quickly growing, always trying to become "better" for their clients and employees, happy employees, industry intel, pioneers in O&G analytics, reliable team members, groundbreaking products

ConsPay is above average, but not outstanding. It helps if you have some prior industry knowledge. An onboarding process did not exist when I started, BUT they've recently implemented a great program that should help all new employees moving forward. Growing at a fast pace - people are hoping that the culture doesn't change.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm hopeful that the new additions to management, re-organization of the sales teams, and amazing product line will be a game changer in 2014 as long as we are all kept in the loop. Remember that change needs to be communicated to everyone. Especially customer facing teams.

Exciting Time to be a part of this great company.

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGrowing company with great reputation in the oil and gas industry. Innovative product development always gives us more to deliver to our clients. Great work/life balance. Very team oriented group in Houston.

ConsMay be growing a little too fast. Being in Houston we are a bit disconnected from the home office in Austin.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of how growth is affecting the culture that everyone is so proud of

A great opportunity to work in an honest, fear-free environment where transparency is valued and recognized.

GIS Technician II (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsYou can speak your mind and be heard with out fear of repercussions. Great flexible work schedules that allow for the implementation of personal time management - here is the project, here is the deadline, when you do it is up to you! The kind of place where you can ask any question and are not expected to be an expert in every field - we cover a diverse range of knowledge throughout the company. You can be individual and unique AND at the same time be a valuable member of multiple teams. It's the kind of company where you can display toys on your desk while working on serious international data compilations to present to multimillion dollar clients. It's the kind of company that sets goals and values based in reality while at the same time strives to conquer the impossible. Drilling Info is out to prove to the world that the oil and gas industry does not need to be viewed as "either" the root of all evil "or" the greatest natural resources ever discovered; but instead is out to show that with the proper information at hand the industry can provide the world with smarter, faster, more economical, and most importantly, more co-friendly options when dealing with oil and gas exploration.

ConsThe company is growing at an incredibly rapid pace and experiencing massive growing pains. Managers who just a few months ago only had ten members or less on their teams are now having to manage 30+ members. Sometimes the managers are not properly prepared or trained to handle the growth. Also, the company is unique to what they do and this can prevent salary competition in the area - some departments in the company are experiencing high turnover because employees feel they should be compensated at a higher rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe confident enough in yourselves to admit when you do not know the answers or how to deal with certain growing pains. Ask for help, it is only by acting as a unified family that we can gain the strength needed to grow the company in the right direction.

Drilling Info has provided me tools & skills that I will benefit from for the rest of my career.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsI feel like I am having a positive impact on the oil & gas industry every time I go to work. I'm in the sales department DI has done a good job of providing clear and reachable incentives to make lots of commission dollars. I really enjoy the people I work with and feel a real sense of loyalty to my team as well as the company as a whole.

ConsAs the company is growing there is a more corporate feel than there used to be. The culture is still that of a start-up and the employees genuinely do care about the well-being of others, which has always been special. There is a degree of micro-managing that previously didn't exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people clear, attainable goals and provide them the resources and tools to meet these goals. Allow people the freedom to creatively meet expectations in ways they feel are best.

A great place to work with lots of opportunity for career growth

Proscasual work environment, lots of free food/parties/prizes etc, lots of support for changing careers within the company, transparency within the company

Conslow pay and appreciation for entry-level jobs. The company is on two floors, with most of the entry-level jobs on one floor and most of the more executive jobs on another floor. It's created a bit of an "us vs them" attitude as I've heard both sides describe the other negatively (mouth-breathers and hoity toity come to mind).

Also the coffee is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do something about the coffee situation.

Worked for drillinginfo? Contribute to the Community!

drillinginfo Videos

drillinginfo – Why Work for Us?

Company Fueling the global quality of life. The Drillinginfo family started in 1999. What began as a simple online permit and completion mapping database became one of the INC 5000 fastest growing companies by… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at drillinginfo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for drillinginfo CEO Allen Gilmer. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by drillinginfo employees.