drugstore.com

Updated October 14, 2014
2.7

drugstore.com CEO (Walgreens) Gregory D. Wasson
Gregory D. Wasson

Easy going place to work

Current Employee - Merchandise Maintenance in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Maintenance in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at drugstore.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Hours were very flexible as long as they weren't extreme. Was able to come in anytime between 6am and 10pm and leave 8 hours after I arrived. Pay is decent - nothing extraordinary but not too little. Office space is nice and plenty of windows.

Cons

Almost too quiet in the office. No one really talks to each other even in the kitchen or hallways. People kind of just walk around looking at the ground.

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at drugstore.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people benefits and compensation. Laid back environment lots of little perks and the office was recently redone

Cons

little guidance from management kind of on your own sometimes sink or swim could be a good thing or bad thing depending how you work.

Positive environment with decent work-life balance

Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at drugstore.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Drugstore.com has gone through many changes over the years but I look back on those years with a lot of gratitude for everything I learned, the analytic industry skills I gained along with friendships I intend on maintaining.

Cons

I think like many large businesses, there was a lack of vision as a result of many factors but in this case, my sense was that there was a lot of tension between executive management. For a mid-level manager such as myself, the decision to stay or leave to pursue other opportunities was contingent on this aspect and the lack of leadership in this regard was a factor in my decision to move on.

Transparency should never be viewed as an aspect of company culture that would lead to a mass exodus. In fact I would argue that transparency about what is deemed to be important to the company and its investors would enable employees to focus on what matters and would spark honest dialogue about the impact of those decisions. In other words, a lack of transparency leads to more politicized, polarizing pseudo-decisions that make employees feel like they're going crazy.

It was...okay...

I worked at drugstore.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people were friendly, decent pay, and located right in downtown Bellevue

Cons

Training was below average, company culture was bland, and everyone couldn't get on the same page. Seemed like people couldn't take a step back to take into consideration other people's opinions. Most meetings were pointless and annoying. Walgreens doesn't seem to care about growing business, just ring it out for what it's worth until it collapses.

Treat drugstore.com as a brand you want to grow, not suck the life out of it. You can add value if you actually try.

Used to be an awesome place to work until Big Daddy swooped in.

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at drugstore.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Genuinely great, caring and talented co-workers and a family atmosphere. Pay is okay...pretty standard. Good work/life balance for those with kids. Ability to work from home occasionally, flexible work hours.

Cons

Walgreens took over and took away control, challenge, upward mobility and all the fun we used to have.

We were doing great on our own. Let us continue to thrive without Walgreens butting in constantly.

A dying brand

Current Employee - Information Technology in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at drugstore.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Now part of Walgreens, there are lots of resources for projects.

Cons

Now part of Walgreens. Fights between walgreens management and drugstore.com management.

Too far gone. Why did WAG even buy drugstore.com in the first place when they are killing it and alienating all of the key staff.

Great company

I worked at drugstore.com

Pros

Very strong management team in place that are well versed in operations

Cons

Picking up their systems very fast with little help.

A living hell, only a matter of time before it collapses.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swedesboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swedesboro, NJ

I worked at drugstore.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The early days of drugstore.com were fantastic. I loved coming into work every day, and loved the people I worked with. After about 2007, the quality of the warehouse associates seemingly went downhill.

Cons

A lack of morals by mid management. It seemed as though the wrong type of behavior was rewarded, and it was matter of who you knew. Once Walgreen's took over it only got worse, and once layoffs got started, it was every man for his/herself. The place is going down, its why I took the money and ran

None. They won't listen anyway

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at drugstore.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small company feel, the work you do seems to make a difference, Not too many layers of management, teams are close and often hang out on weekends.

Cons

Bought by Walgreens and none of the above are now true. Huge company, what you do makes little difference, teams a scattered throughout the country.

No advice, just different modes of operation. We seriously need less meetings.

Short experience some good and some bad

Former Employee - IT Professional in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Summit, NJ

I worked at drugstore.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed most of my time there with some good work mates. Offered a generous amount of overtime when needed to support the production crew.

Cons

Mandatory overtime at times to support production staff. Does not have a documented training program or outlines for job duties. Unorganized at times.

Create a fair and enjoyable work environment.