e-Dialog
www.e-dialog.com Burlington, MA 150 to 499 Employees

e-Dialog Reviews

Updated Mar 7, 2014

Steve Denton

Pros:
  • "Casual Dress Code, Bagel Wednesday"
    in 9 reviews
  • "I worked along with some great people who I became good friends with"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely long hours with no reward"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Dated tools and no one left who knows how to manage them"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sad to see it disappear

I have been working at e-Dialog

ProsI work with a great team, and we have a good management staff.
Casual environment.

ConsAttrition! It's been heart-breaking to see the people who built this place all leaving, either on their own or otherwise.
Work-life balance is not good for people in some departments.
Promotions seem to be given as political thank you's rather than on merit. "Managers" with very poor approval ratings get lofty titles.

Advice to Senior ManagementI won't bother saying "bring back the old days" because it won't happen, and with so many new people here, it'd be impossible anyway. But there was a reason GSI picked us up for so much money a few years ago, and it was our culture that made us that company. It's baffling to those of us who survived the blood baths that e-D is being changed so much, and that so many GOOD, caring people have been allowed to leave. You want to help your bottom line? Listen to the people who tell you their managers are no good, get rid of those managers, promote the right people. Happy people make happy clients make happy shareholders.

e-dialog wants puts its client's first

Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros- Very well known brand
- Some of the smartest people in the space
- Services centric with an enabling technology
- Now part of eBay who is already investing more than previous management ever did in both people and technology
- New leadership team with all the right capabilities

Cons- Need to get the next generation of talent on board to complement current talent
- Some of the leaders might be driving their part of the car looking in the rear view mirror

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire world class people and let them do their job.

Was a great place work - now EVERYTHING has changed for the worse

ProsSome of the People
The Clients
The building/office

ConsAlmost all the good people I worked with have left the company
Now lots of clients are leaving or are in the process of leaving
Senior Management either has no clue or doesn't care if company exists in a couple years
Parent company (GSI) has also had a lot of turnover and does not treat e-Dialog well - why did they buy us in the first place?
The technology is old and is not really supported - there is one product that I use everyday and it is critical to getting my client's campaigns out and there is no one that knows the code or can support it if anything goes wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementMajor changes began about a year ago when when President, CTO, CMO, and CFO were all let go. Then there was a layoff of all the people that made the company magical. Then people were let go silently on a weekly basis. Then lots of people started leaving on their own and still are.

If you have a plan please communicate it. If you only want us to service GSI clients and become a production arm of eBay then let us know. This is a service company -so the most important asset is the people and you don't seem to care when they leave - and then get replaced with inexperienced people who don't understand our industry. And nothing personal but the President of e-Dialog is just as inexperienced as the new people coming in.

Some of us are working very, very hard because we value our client relationships. If it wasn't for my client, I would have left a while ago. I am looking to leave but only when I find the right job and when I do leave I sure upper management will not care but I know my client will.

On the ropes.

Proscheap soda
free popcorn
free food at least once or twice a week-(decent sandwiches, cookies, etc.)
most of your co-workers are friendly

ConsStaggering turnover rate. Droves of people leave each week, only to be replaced by new recruits the following week. Not sure how long they can keep up this model and stay afloat. Company has resorted to "job fairs". Ancient technology...You won't be on the cutting edge of anything. Drab, uninspiring, boring products with no zip and no appeal. Complete disconnect between various groups in the organization. No career path, no appreciation for work well done. Certain favorites get away with utter incompetence. There is no accountability where its really needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure if there is anything that can be done at this point. It may be too late.

A good company gone mediocre

ProsAwesome and intelligent co-workers
Employees who care about and focus on client needs
25 cent snacks
Casual dress
Lavish summer outings/Holiday parties (those days are gone, though)
The company is undoing the demoralizing disaster of the job title homogenization

ConsOld technology (but there's a plan to fix this not yet well communicated)
Uncommunicative/uninspiring management
Continuing loss of talented, long tenured employees; disquieting drain of domain knowledge
Nearly entirely new management with little knowledge/appreciation/understanding of those employees with high domain knowledge

If not for the meeting with John Healey all confidence would've been lost. Bring back John Rizzi or have John Healey come back more often. We need a leader of their caliber. It's not too late to turn it around.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your best assets; understand and treat them better and stop the churn. Get a leader who can motivate. Communicate more. An interesting question: "Why was e-Dialog so highly rated in 2008-2009 with what was then considered outdated technology?" One possible answer: Awesome people. Do something to retain them.

Was a great place to work. Terrible now.

I have been working at e-Dialog

ProsBasically none, other than the 25 cent vending machine.
Any other pros that existed before left with the old management team.

ConsBefore, and for a time after the GSI purchase, this was one of the best companies you could work for.
Great people to work with, great parties, and the management team had a clear vision and knew the market well.

The current C-level team is completely incompetent and does not understand the technology. They fired some of the best talent in the industry and let many more walk out the door. Because they didn't understand the culture at all, the plan to "shake up the organization" backfired and people in the "wrong" department started leaving. So they resorted to a job fair. However it's clear that they still haven't learned that you reap what you sow and continue driving us down this path to destruction.

This company is now very depressing to work for. The hours are long, pay increases have ceased, no one is motivated, there is no communication from management whatsoever, and CYA is standard operating procedure. The outlook is dim at best. As soon as GSI started getting heavily involved in preparation for the ebay purchase, the machine started breaking down. No one is left who knows how or cares enough to fix it.

I don't think we will be able to get back on the bike and finish the race this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves and get people who understand that the model laid out in 'What's holding you back?' is not sustainable. Especially in a company that operated successfully for ten years by taking care of its employees.

Incompetent Management Team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at e-Dialog

Proscasual dress code
holiday party, paid for by company (probably non-existent now)

Consnew management (GSI/E-Bay) is:
-incompetent
-lacks vision
-communicates poorly/not at all

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourselves 'Why was e-Dialog successful before we got here?' and 'Why is it a sinking ship now?'

New management = Venom

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at e-Dialog

ProsUsed to Be:
Energetic
Innovative
Valued employees
Transparent
Open communication
Passionate Executive team (original exec team)
These qualities have dissolved

Poor communication
Lack of leadership
Dated technology
Unhappy workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementThis advice is not only for management, but also individuals who may be interested in working at e-Dialog. Honestly, I don't know where to begin. e-Dialog was such a great place; a place where recognition echoed through the halls and everyone worked together to achieve a common goal: to be the best in the industry. Now its all about money, not people - about making yourself look good, and your co-workers bad - to be perfect and never at fault - to work countless hours, while upper management stroll in at 11am and depart at 4pm, and you are stuck working through the night. But the funny part is, if they focused on the people, the money would flow even more (just like the older days). I left on my own accord because I was: under valued, under appreciated and most of all disrespected. There is no way, no dollar amount or no apology that will ever have me work there again.

At one time, was great... but stumbled and has failed to regain its step.

Database Programmer Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people
Interesting clients
Relaxed dress code
Flexible hours
Decently amusing events

ConsCYA attitude
Lack of communication form upper management
Taking advantage of those willing to work hard without them being properly recognized or compensated

Advice to Senior ManagementDont pretend to be good at communicating. In the last 6 months we have been downright lied to. Your employees are not stupid. Please dont treat them like they are. Dont fool yourselves in thinking that holding an abundant amount of stupid events/parties or having a 'popcorn machine' is going to make people happy. All its doing is allowing you to mask the fact that people used to be legitimately happy to work here, and now the majority of people are miserable.

Don't work here

I have been working at e-Dialog

ProsColleagues, $0.25 Vending Machines, Culture, Dress Code, Clients.

ConsLong hours, average work week was 55-60 hours. Wrong people in management, they were promoting people before the company was purchased the first time into management positions. These people were not competent, nor experienced enough to actually manage careers and career growth.

New leadership team was brought in at end of 2010 from parent company and has ruined e-Dialog. These people had layoffs which affected about 1/3 of the workforce in March 2011, they then demoted all the employees who were left. The employees who remained left for better jobs. The company had so much attrition that e-Dialog had to have a job fair to make up for the job losses. What a joke.

The new leadership team has ruined this company. Clients are not happy, the workforce is not happy. The current leadership team is not the best fit for this company or the industry; it is a prime example of the wrong people at the table trying to lead a company that they knew nothing about.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Worked for e-Dialog? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at e-Dialog reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for e-Dialog CEO Steve Denton. All 67 reviews posted anonymously by e-Dialog employees.