e-Dialog

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014
2.4

Steve Denton

Pros
  • Dress code is very lax, people wear jeans flips flops and some people have mohawks (in 9 reviews)

• I worked along with some great people who I became good friends with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours with no reward (in 7 reviews)

• Dated tools and no one left who knows how to manage them (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Offered great experience throughout the ranks

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

eDialog offered a compelling opportunity - to work in a blossoming industry, and make an impact on the day to day operations as well as the general stewardship of the firm. Strong leadership.

Cons

Long term strategy was visionary, but execution towards the big goals was a bit lacking.

With additional rigor and discipline has a chance to be an industry titan.

ok place to work

I have been working at e-Dialog full-time

Pros

Great location and great people.

Cons

ever changing management => unrest amongst the people

Lots of turmoil, lack of solid leadership

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog full-time

Pros

The existing leadership tries hard to communicate well. The energy in the workplace is generally very positive. Bright people, working hard.

Cons

The existing leadership tries hard to communicate well, but frankly it just doesn't work. There has been significant senior leadership turnover and that has lead to confusion and turmoil even at the lowest levels of the company. Some Jr. managers just weren't good at their jobs and Sr. Management didn't figure out how to coach them well and develop them. I observed some really hard working people be overlooked and under-appreciated.

Figure out a communication plan and keep everyone on the same page. I would only cautiously recommend working here - its not an easy place to survive. Those that do thrive you need to embrace and support.

Excellent entry level jobs in digital

Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get access to work with some of the best brands in the world. Given the opportunity, entry level employees can quickly work up to more senior level roles and tiers of responsibility.

Cons

Inexperienced 'work ethic' and sense of entitlement from recent grads creates pockets of negativity in Company culture.

Lead, develop and mentor recent grads - convince them to do the work instead of demanding it

A very mixed environment of helpful and hostile during a transitional period.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Mnanger in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Mnanger in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The original VP of Sales was a great team builder and manager

Cons

Peers and sales team had a hostile proprietary attitude towards new hires in their arena.

Determine that all members of a department including management are qualified and open to new approaches and ideas.

Given the chance, I would rather work for Hitler

Current Employee - Former Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Former Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yes... there are a few of those here

Cons

Plenty of those roaming around here

Start managing properly!

Great experience in email marketing

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with global client-side brands. Fast-paced. Great exposure to challenges brands face. Just about everyone gets their hands dirty.

Cons

Will do anything to please clients, at any cost to employees. Demand never goes away. Overworked and overstressed employees creates very high turnover.

The perks are really bad. Terrible. Invest in finding actual cool ways to make your employees feel valued. Bring your dog to work day is less than meaningless.

A mere shadow of the company it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of smart and hardworking people. Most are willing to go above and beyond to get the job done. The atmosphere and dress code are casual, and it's okay to work from home if you need to. Twenty-five cent snacks are also nice.

Cons

This used to be a great place to work. The clients list was quite impressive. The employees were fun-loving. Successes were celebrated, and employees truly felt like they were direct contributors. Training and development was a major focus, and growth within the company felt like it was always a possibility. Everyone was always overworked, and we all knew that needed to change, but with such a high morale, it was still a good place to work. I would have easily given it a 4-5 star rating.
    That all changed in early 2011, after the company officially became a part of GSI. Layoffs ensued, the company lost its stride, and the e-Dialog culture disappeared. The already overworked staff became more overworked, and trust in upper management disappeared as people began to worry about their jobs.
    Middle management has tried to bring up morale trying to make people feel informed, but with on-going changes in processes, structure and leadership, it's clear that middle management is in the dark and upper management has no idea what to do next. An environment that was once very team-oriented has now become one where it's every man for himself, with constant tension and finger-pointing. Clients are leaving, and the employees that aren't getting laid off are leaving on their own, one by one. It's a sinking ship.

eBay is known to be a good place to work, so one can only hope that now, as e-Dialog and GSI become more enveloped into eBay, things will turn around quickly.
    In the meantime, the folks at the top need to do a better job of keeping everyone else truly informed, and make sure that employees feel more valued and less like they could lose their job at any moment.

No No initiative

Current Employee - Campaign Associate in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Campaign Associate in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Friendly co-workers
    - Casual dress code
    - Flexible telecommuting availability
    - Breakfast, snack and soda benefits.

Cons

- Management turnover every 3-6 months; different talking head presenting company outlook every other meeting
    - Middle management isn't kept in the loop
    - Company as a whole lacks initiative
    - Hiring process is handled out-of-office; managers high up need to get reqs approved despite roles clearly not being filled
    - Morale on company is low. Layoffs occurring with little-to-no explanation

Find some direction, find a consistent voice, bring the subcompanies (TrueAction, MBS, Fetchback, etc.) together under one voice only once each company has the staff and knowledge to stand alone. Also, fix your hiring process.

By far the worst place I've worked at.

Current Employee - Contract Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Contract Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked along with some great people who I became good friends with. Though most are highly skilled, it's very common to end up doing something different than what you were hired for. In the end, you could end up feeling very frustrated as you spin your wheels working on something you could care less about while using very outdated technology (Perl, ColdFusion, etc…)

Cons

The place is a total dead-end. The same frustration of going nowhere and working on aimless tasks seems to be shared among most employees. As far as the engineering department, it seems like it's straight out of a book that could be titled "Worst Software Practices". There isn't time to do things right, but there's plenty of time to be fixing bugs and rewriting code.

It's definitely not a place where you could grow as a software engineer as there is absolutely no concern for code craftsmanship.

Within my last two weeks there, I saw about 5 other people leaving as well, which is a big red flag that there's something definitely wrong with the place. In addition to employees, I saw them losing several big clients.

Get some direction on where to take the company and how to be more innovative.

e-Dialog Photos

e-Dialog US Headquarters Lobby
eBay cake celebrating our integration
eBay colors all over the lobby

+ Add Photo