e-Dialog Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.3

Steve Denton

Pros
  • I worked along with some great people who I became good friends with (in 8 reviews)

• Great clients, incredible list of Fortune 500s (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours with no reward (in 7 reviews)

• Dated tools and no one left who knows how to manage them (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Storming

Current Employee - Campaign Specialist in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Campaign Specialist in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual Dress Code, Bagel Wednesday

Cons

Employees being overloaded with work, constant system instability, slow career growth

Hire additional resources to support clients and invest in your platform ASAP

By far the worst place I've worked at.

Current Employee - Contract Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Contract Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked along with some great people who I became good friends with. Though most are highly skilled, it's very common to end up doing something different than what you were hired for. In the end, you could end up feeling very frustrated as you spin your wheels working on something you could care less about while using very outdated technology (Perl, ColdFusion, etc…)

Cons

The place is a total dead-end. The same frustration of going nowhere and working on aimless tasks seems to be shared among most employees. As far as the engineering department, it seems like it's straight out of a book that could be titled "Worst Software Practices". There isn't time to do things right, but there's plenty of time to be fixing bugs and rewriting code.

It's definitely not a place where you could grow as a software engineer as there is absolutely no concern for code craftsmanship.

Within my last two weeks there, I saw about 5 other people leaving as well, which is a big red flag that there's something definitely wrong with the place. In addition to employees, I saw them losing several big clients.

Get some direction on where to take the company and how to be more innovative.

A lot of change yet going nowhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Youthful company with friendly, smart and passionate individuals.
    Provide workers with quality equipment to do their jobs; laptops, software, iPhones, etc..
    Nice office space.
    Top clients.

Cons

Not what is used to be.
    Employee moral is really low due to so much change at the top and layoffs; went through 3 presidents in 6 month period.
    Dated technology and platform issues cause many headaches and an overload of work.
    Initiatives start but are never finished, leaving some people doing one thing while others are doing another.
    Rather disorganized.
    High employee turnover.
    Work/life balance non-existent.
    Office location stinks.

First, stick around for longer than a few months and develop a well thought out road map out of this mess. Second, institute the road map from start to finish and ensure complete buy in. Third, continue to invest in upgrading the platform. Fourth, relieve employee workload. Fifth, provide stability and proof that things are getting better.

Great environment

I worked at e-Dialog

Pros

Great, smart, friendly employees. had a boss who made working late enjoyable... bought dinner and beers....learned a lot in this fast paced environment.

Cons

Company was bought out by eBay so my position was cut short.. . not much to say about the team I worked with or company..great location

Good but bad

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog full-time

Pros

Company is doing an ok job

Cons

Company needs to improve a lot

New Management Team, Exciting Changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great vibe. excellent people. Big changes announced recently to employees. Great new GM/ COO and great CTO with the right vision for new broader organization. People are coming back! John Healy has moved on to another company.

Cons

Very fast pace. You have to be able to keep up. Must be able to deal with customers. Salaried competitive, not market leading

Keep on heading in the direction you have set.

E-Dialog was great but now has a revolving door of top management and is drifting aimlessly.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees still care. They are passionate about what they do and want to change the company for the better.

Cons

Clients are leaving and management seems clueless about how to change things. The employees still care but that won't last if management doesn't get it's act together

Listen. THe people who have been here know what they are doing. Start acting like a start-up that scraps for every client.

Incompetent managers with bad attitudes

I worked at e-Dialog

Pros

cheap snacks. That is it. Cheap snacks. This web site is telling me that I need to put at least 5 words. There was nothing positive about this company that gets rid of talent and promotes buffoons. Cheap snacks.

Cons

Horrible place to work. Directors and managers are unqualified and promote other unqualified employees that are willing to kiss up to them. It says it all when universally the only positive thing people can say about this place is that it has cheap snacks. I've heard that as one or two of the few competent people have left or been forced out, the directors have once again promoted a few individuals that they know are willing to kiss up.

Fire yourselves and put people in that are qualified to manage. I wouldn't let anyone at that company that has anyone actually reporting to them manage a Kentucky Fried Chicken. That is actually very derogatory to KFC, however, if you replaced anyone with the title of "manager" or "director" with someone from KFC, the KFC employee would do a better job.

Very high expectations of engineering

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at e-Dialog are good to work with. I looked forward to getting there almost every day from day one.

Cons

The standard of performance in software engineering became, "no delays and no bugs". There was nothing in their software development process to help achieve that. While "no delays and no bugs" is certainly something to strive for, making it a performance requirement is unrealistic.

Trying to make it better with incomplete success

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talking the right talk about agile. Good use of Linux. Smart colleagues. Free coffee. Cheap candy. Periodic free food. Easy parking.

Cons

Colleagues competing with respect to how long they work and how early in the morning they come in. Demands to work during vacation, week-ends. Demands to reschedule vacation. People being shown the door with no sensible explanation. A culture of fire fighting instead of pro-active problem prevention. Trying to get things done sooner by decree. Lack of admin access on Windows PCs gets in the way. Unwillingness to address short staffing that damages progress of multiple teams. Volatile requirements. Unevenly applied rules. Work space so noisy everyone uses earphones or ear plugs. Benefits do not start one's first day of employment and they don't say so in the offer.

You cannot travel from Boston to Los Angeles in 3 seconds by decreeing that it be so. You cannot get work done in a certain time by decree, even if it is work that you do not understand. Technical debt and cut corners are killing your success. Give people the time to do things correctly. Work costs less in the long run when done right from the beginning.

Read the book, Peopleware, about how noise damages productivity.

e-Dialog Photos

e-Dialog US Headquarters Lobby
eBay cake celebrating our integration
eBay colors all over the lobby

+ Add Photo