e-Dialog

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014
2.4

Steve Denton

Pros
  • Dress code is very lax, people wear jeans flips flops and some people have mohawks (in 9 reviews)

• I worked along with some great people who I became good friends with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely long hours with no reward (in 7 reviews)

• Dated tools and no one left who knows how to manage them (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, great culture, definetly improving

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

Despite many changes over the past year, e-Dialog has maintained its core values and culture. The people who work here have a lot of energy and passion about what they do. I think now with a solid management team in place, headed up by Simone Barratt who is an eD veteran, the company is really headed in a good direction. Another benefit is being owned by eBay, which provides financial stability and lots of opportunities for career exploration and growth. Not to mention awsome benefits and it looks pretty good on a resume.

Cons

Working through changes in management last year was difficult at times, lack of communication from the top, etc., but I suppose that is typical when acquisitions take place (eD's parent company GSI was acquired by eBay 7/2011). Still trying to figure out how everything will work with eBay, but i'm sure that will come in time.

Continue the flow of communication from the top down and across companies (GSI & eBay). Communication has improved dramatically over the last 4 months as a result of new management and more integration.

Hasn't gotten any better

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

Not very many but here are the ones I could think of
    - Free popcorn
    - Cheap candy and soda
    - Simone is good (but she was appointed far too late)

Cons

- Dated tools and no one left who knows how to manage them. This is a ticking time bomb.

- Massive turnover rate
                       Employees are still being fired left and right with very little explanation.
                       People continue to walk out the door - 2 to 4 people every week.

- No opportunity
                       Ebay is slowly dissolving the company. As they continue their consolidation efforts they pick apart department after department.

- No clear vision for the road ahead
                        Management has cut off almost all communication with the rest of the company. They keep a shroud of secrecy around their plans going forward. Rumors spreading like wildfire that there is no plan.

- Lines between departments are clouded
                        There is no longer any clear separation of duties. People pass work around because nobody knows who is responsible for what anymore.
                        Department heads ignore the dysfunction. They are all in cruise control.

- Extremely long hours with no reward
                        There is an expectation that everyone will pick up the slack of the employees that keep leaving. But no reward for working 50 - 60 hours each week, not even a thank you.
                         Level of effort and quality of work are no longer used to measure worth, now it's all about who you know.

Stop asking kiss up employees and new hires to write good reviews. Just admit that you have no plan and are waiting for Ebay to move the entire platform to their systems and shut down e-Dialog for good.

e-dialog wants puts its client's first

Current Employee - Business Leader in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Burlington, MA

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

- Very well known brand
    - Some of the smartest people in the space
    - Services centric with an enabling technology
    - Now part of eBay who is already investing more than previous management ever did in both people and technology
    - New leadership team with all the right capabilities

Cons

- Need to get the next generation of talent on board to complement current talent
    - Some of the leaders might be driving their part of the car looking in the rear view mirror

Continue to hire world class people and let them do their job.

Was a great place work - now EVERYTHING has changed for the worse

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

Some of the People
    The Clients
    The building/office

Cons

Almost all the good people I worked with have left the company
    Now lots of clients are leaving or are in the process of leaving
    Senior Management either has no clue or doesn't care if company exists in a couple years
    Parent company (GSI) has also had a lot of turnover and does not treat e-Dialog well - why did they buy us in the first place?
    The technology is old and is not really supported - there is one product that I use everyday and it is critical to getting my client's campaigns out and there is no one that knows the code or can support it if anything goes wrong.

Major changes began about a year ago when when President, CTO, CMO, and CFO were all let go. Then there was a layoff of all the people that made the company magical. Then people were let go silently on a weekly basis. Then lots of people started leaving on their own and still are.

If you have a plan please communicate it. If you only want us to service GSI clients and become a production arm of eBay then let us know. This is a service company -so the most important asset is the people and you don't seem to care when they leave - and then get replaced with inexperienced people who don't understand our industry. And nothing personal but the President of e-Dialog is just as inexperienced as the new people coming in.

Some of us are working very, very hard because we value our client relationships. If it wasn't for my client, I would have left a while ago. I am looking to leave but only when I find the right job and when I do leave I sure upper management will not care but I know my client will.

Sad to see it disappear

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

I work with a great team, and we have a good management staff.
    Casual environment.

Cons

Attrition! It's been heart-breaking to see the people who built this place all leaving, either on their own or otherwise.
    Work-life balance is not good for people in some departments.
    Promotions seem to be given as political thank you's rather than on merit. "Managers" with very poor approval ratings get lofty titles.

I won't bother saying "bring back the old days" because it won't happen, and with so many new people here, it'd be impossible anyway. But there was a reason GSI picked us up for so much money a few years ago, and it was our culture that made us that company. It's baffling to those of us who survived the blood baths that e-D is being changed so much, and that so many GOOD, caring people have been allowed to leave. You want to help your bottom line? Listen to the people who tell you their managers are no good, get rid of those managers, promote the right people. Happy people make happy clients make happy shareholders.

On the ropes.

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

cheap soda
    free popcorn
    free food at least once or twice a week-(decent sandwiches, cookies, etc.)
    most of your co-workers are friendly

Cons

Staggering turnover rate. Droves of people leave each week, only to be replaced by new recruits the following week. Not sure how long they can keep up this model and stay afloat. Company has resorted to "job fairs". Ancient technology...You won't be on the cutting edge of anything. Drab, uninspiring, boring products with no zip and no appeal. Complete disconnect between various groups in the organization. No career path, no appreciation for work well done. Certain favorites get away with utter incompetence. There is no accountability where its really needed.

Not sure if there is anything that can be done at this point. It may be too late.

A good company gone mediocre

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

Awesome and intelligent co-workers
    Employees who care about and focus on client needs
    25 cent snacks
    Casual dress
    Lavish summer outings/Holiday parties (those days are gone, though)
    The company is undoing the demoralizing disaster of the job title homogenization

Cons

Old technology (but there's a plan to fix this not yet well communicated)
    Uncommunicative/uninspiring management
    Continuing loss of talented, long tenured employees; disquieting drain of domain knowledge
    Nearly entirely new management with little knowledge/appreciation/understanding of those employees with high domain knowledge

If not for the meeting with John Healey all confidence would've been lost. Bring back John Rizzi or have John Healey come back more often. We need a leader of their caliber. It's not too late to turn it around.

Your people are your best assets; understand and treat them better and stop the churn. Get a leader who can motivate. Communicate more. An interesting question: "Why was e-Dialog so highly rated in 2008-2009 with what was then considered outdated technology?" One possible answer: Awesome people. Do something to retain them.

Was a great place to work. Terrible now.

I have been working at e-Dialog

Pros

Basically none, other than the 25 cent vending machine.
    Any other pros that existed before left with the old management team.

Cons

Before, and for a time after the GSI purchase, this was one of the best companies you could work for.
    Great people to work with, great parties, and the management team had a clear vision and knew the market well.

The current C-level team is completely incompetent and does not understand the technology. They fired some of the best talent in the industry and let many more walk out the door. Because they didn't understand the culture at all, the plan to "shake up the organization" backfired and people in the "wrong" department started leaving. So they resorted to a job fair. However it's clear that they still haven't learned that you reap what you sow and continue driving us down this path to destruction.

This company is now very depressing to work for. The hours are long, pay increases have ceased, no one is motivated, there is no communication from management whatsoever, and CYA is standard operating procedure. The outlook is dim at best. As soon as GSI started getting heavily involved in preparation for the ebay purchase, the machine started breaking down. No one is left who knows how or cares enough to fix it.

I don't think we will be able to get back on the bike and finish the race this time.

Fire yourselves and get people who understand that the model laid out in 'What's holding you back?' is not sustainable. Especially in a company that operated successfully for ten years by taking care of its employees.

Incompetent Management Team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog

Pros

casual dress code
    holiday party, paid for by company (probably non-existent now)

Cons

new management (GSI/E-Bay) is:
    -incompetent
    -lacks vision
    -communicates poorly/not at all

Ask yourselves 'Why was e-Dialog successful before we got here?' and 'Why is it a sinking ship now?'

New management = Venom

Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at e-Dialog

Pros

Used to Be:
    Energetic
    Innovative
    Valued employees
    Transparent
    Open communication
    Passionate Executive team (original exec team)
    These qualities have dissolved

Cons

Clueless Management Team
    Dishonest Management Team
    CYA - Never wrong
    Political arena
    Poor communication
    Lack of leadership
    Dated technology
    Unhappy workforce

This advice is not only for management, but also individuals who may be interested in working at e-Dialog. Honestly, I don't know where to begin. e-Dialog was such a great place; a place where recognition echoed through the halls and everyone worked together to achieve a common goal: to be the best in the industry. Now its all about money, not people - about making yourself look good, and your co-workers bad - to be perfect and never at fault - to work countless hours, while upper management stroll in at 11am and depart at 4pm, and you are stuck working through the night. But the funny part is, if they focused on the people, the money would flow even more (just like the older days). I left on my own accord because I was: under valued, under appreciated and most of all disrespected. There is no way, no dollar amount or no apology that will ever have me work there again.

e-Dialog Photos

e-Dialog US Headquarters Lobby
eBay cake celebrating our integration
eBay colors all over the lobby

+ Add Photo