e-MDs Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Jim Brady

Great start... Not so great ending

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at e-MDs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-People are really great to work with
    -Most people care about the Product/Customers and want it to succeed
    -Ability to learn a-lot about the software
    -Customers
    -Was able to experience multiple positions within the company

Cons

SALARIES are really low so many talented people have left the company over the years. It is a shame.
    Not sure what direction the company is moving toward since the acquisition by Marlin

Advice to Management

Invest in your number one resource: EMPLOYEES
    Need long range planning. Stop being reactive

Do yourself a favor and pass

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get some entry level experience into the health IT field and learn what's going on in the industry (then you move on).
    The company was taken over by Marlin Equity. If that didn't happen, it was sure to implode within the next year or so. Marlin will realize in the end though that the people managing are the problem and will sell to a competitor.

Cons

It's true that you can learn about the health IT field and the nature of the industry. Most people will get some experience and move on to a competitor due to low pay, poor benefits, terrible communication and mediocre management. It's run like a mom and pop shop. Be careful what you say in an interview, if you seem too eager to learn about opportunities in the future, you may not get the job. This company wants your ambition to stay put.

Those who get promoted typically have been here the longest and are not necessarily qualified for the job. The company knows employees aren't satisfied with management so they try new strategies like management workshops (which I hear are a joke) and employee satisfaction surveys. Those who are satisfied at e-MDs know that they will not get fired, there is no urgency for anything and getting yelled at is just a typical day. Marlin brought in consultants to improve things but it is clear that the executives and middle management are the problem and if they stay the same, no change will occur.

Advice to Management

Improve communication. The entire company is completely confused on whether or not the Cloud product is ready to be sold (and I don't mean hosting). If a customer calls they may get several different answers based on who they ask. A newsletter every week is a step in the right direction but only scratches the surface. If things continue the way the are, all the good people will be gone and with the way people are quitting left and right, that process has already begun.

I think I will stay!

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working in a challenging environment. The company has just received some much needed capital and I am excited for what is coming down the pipe. Hours are great and flexible! Salary is great! People and culture are diverse and Austin friendly!

Cons

Growing pains create some chaos, but it is getting better every day. The medical industry is slow to change which I believe actually makes things more expensive not less.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more and not just implement the same old strategies. Keep up the good work with team building and diversity programs.

Jun 9, 2015HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you are enjoying working at e-MDs. As you know the EMR arena is changing at a dramatic pace. Keeping up with all the changes ... More

rolling up my sleeves..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Healthcare overall has changed due to the laws - considering how important it is to have people that can translate law into technology, build, migrate, train and educate the community as a whole.. and all within timeframes set by Congress then you can understand the challenges faced by all EHRs today.

I am a mission based employee and the changes brought about require your "A game" in any role that you have in healthcare today.

Our company has had some growing to do and due to a new relationship (see our website) the opportunities of building healthcare solutions from the ground floor exist in this company.

Our company has stayed lean but competitive and is looking for people interested in building a healthcare solution.

Cons

Everyone in healthcare needs more time and more resources.

Advice to Management

I have voiced my advice internally and I believe I see the results in action.

Jun 9, 2015HR Director

Thank you for writing this review! We are pleased that you are seeing changes based on your feedback. Please continue to provide advice and suggestions....we are listening!

6. Positive Outlook

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was apprehensive about the recent acquisition but it seems like we are now going in the right direction. I enjoy helping customers on a daily basis. I get treated like an adult and am not micromanaged. My fellow employees are great and most of the time, it's a team atmosphere. The building is in a great location and the casual dress code is a huge plus.

Cons

The benefits aren't the greatest, the pay could be better. We don't get much guidance or feedback from management unless we've done something wrong. Clients tend to take out their frustrations on whomever is trying to help them, which can wear you down. The building and equipment is outdated and our work space feels cramped.

Advice to Management

Positive feedback and recognition of good work goes a long way. If a few people in the department are doing something wrong, speak with just those people instead of chastising the entire department. Appreciate those who strive to do a good job.

Jun 12, 2015HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review! We are excited about the acquisition and the direction of the company. We are currently reviewing benefits and anticipate that with being part of ... More

7. Review of e-MDs

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs full-time

Pros

The people! I love who I work with. I like working with a company that has such a positive impact on the health care community. I feel that my contributions have an impact on society. I enjoy coming to work each day.

Cons

Some departments seem to migrate more towards silo type work. Need more team collaboration and integration in those deps. Not sure if they do this on their own or it's a product of the environment.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more communication, especially about what is happening with the merger with MDeverywhere. Keep up with the positive changes! We appreciate it!

Jun 10, 2015HR Director

Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you are enjoying your work and the environment at e-MDs. Thank you for your advice about more communication relating to the merger.

8. Great company, limited growth opportunity

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs

Pros

- Exciting, challenging product
    - Truly work full stack
    - Dev managers are great
    - Relaxed environment
    - CTO is awesome

Cons

- Workload can get crazy at times
    - Disconnect between upper management and what it truly takes
    - Recent acquisition has everyone looking over their shoulders
    - Limited growth!

Advice to Management

Find ways to open up growth opportunities. Seems the only way there is true advancement potential is when people leave. What the heck happened to beer thirty and extracurricular activities?

Jun 10, 2015HR Director

Thank you for writing a review! We are pleased that you have confidence in your managers. Providing growth opportunities is critical for us. We are pleased that in 2014, 35% of our open positions ... More

Can be better

I have been working at e-MDs

Pros

The people are great, for the most part, (there are a few you cannot trust). It's not located downtown, which is a plus. Hopeful things will start moving in a positive direction.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. The benefits stink, there is no structure or direction. Some departments are not staffed appropriately. The company needs an overhaul/ make over. Very outdated especially for the industry and location. Hopefully, since the company is owned by another source things will get better.

Jun 9, 2015HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We review compensation annually and we are inline with or slightly higher than our competitors. We review data from Culpepper and also compensation ... More

Meh

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Indirectly making a difference by helping people. The medical field is constantly changing so you are constantly learning new things. The company was recently acquired by Marlin Equity so hopefully they'll swoop in and make some positive changes because lets face it, this place needs it if they're going to make it in EHR. Recent small changes that are good from the acquisition are some more communication, a weekly newsletter (could use more fun in it though like employee spotlight), new education classes (could use more though and would like real life certifications like PMP, PHP, PHR, MCSE), and the promise of better coffee and cheaper sodas (will see if that really happens). I typically don't have to work too much overtime thank goodness because they don't pay you more for overtime or compensate you with time off.

Cons

The pay is way below of other tech companies in ATX offer. It's hard to compare since this is one of the few medical tech companies but we should still be on par with salary and benefits to be competitive and gain better support from the bottom up. The benefits like health ins cost way more than I've ever paid anywhere and aren't that great. The time off (PTO) plan is terrible too. So many tech companies in ATX have unlimited or at least double what this company offers. If anything makes me leave it if the benefits don't change with this new acquisition. The pay can suck and raises can suck but the benefits are really the most important thing to me and I can get way better elsewhere.

Advice to Management

They need to work harder on developing a team environment. Do outside of work events. Offer happy hours. Pay for your employees to do professional development outside the company, like going to a conference in their field. Step it up and be more competitive all around with what other ATX companies are offering. Glad that you all are doing bonuses now but even those are pretty pathetic compared what my peers get at other tech companies. Do some research on what similar positions at other tech companies are making and start bumping up the salaries of the lower and middle employees. Keep ramping up the communication, get us a great new CEO, offer more fun benefits and you'll have the award winning top company you are wanting so desperately.

Jun 9, 2015HR Director

Thank you for your review! Compensation is something we review annually. We participate in the Culpepper Compensation Survey, which has distinct health IT data specific for our industry. We are ... More

Not Enough Substance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at e-MDs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are very few, if any, Pro's for working at e-MDs. I was allowed to telecommute, which is great for work-life balance, but it is a two-edged sword that management secretly held as a card to remove me from employment.

Cons

-- Constructive feedback from management never happens. The only time feedback was given was during annual reviews and that was to pour on all negative feedback to justify a poor annual rating.

-- Pay is abysmal. They say they use Culpepper, which is unverifiable to job seekers. Using an industry leader such as Robert Half, I can confirm my position was paid well below industry standard even before tenure and education was taken into consideration.

-- No accountability with respect to deadlines. Departments who are consistently late with production deliverables would never face accountability for their actions which would impact other departments down the line.

- Management is detached from employees and have no true indication of what their employees do for work or what levels of work must be maintained to perform at the high standards. The company wants all of the bells and whistles at the cheapest cost. Rather than investing in the proper technology to improve efficiencies they would rather not spend any money and force workers to continue with manual processes wasting valuable time.

- Preferential treatment. There are individuals who received promotions not for the sake of knowledge, skill, expertise, or potential but because they were liked by a manager. Of course, once the burden of the position overwhelmed these promoted individuals they would leave the company or move into other departments. The managers would then repeat the process of not hiring qualified candidates.

- No investment in employees for professional growth. BIG issue here. Not only is pay poorly structured, there is compounded problem of no tuition reimbursement, no annual developers conference stipend, or no industry professional education encouraged. It wouldn't be a problem if pay was significant to offset this on our own terms, but without proper pay, it is difficult to justify paying for life essentials and furthering career development.

Advice to Management

Take courses in leadership.
    Learn from your mistakes.
    Pay to market standards.
    Invest in your employees.
    Invest in technology to increase efficiencies.
    Provide constructive feedback to employees, all year round.

RSS Feed </> Embed