e-MDs Reviews

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
2.7

Dr. David Winn

The future is bright for e-MDs

I have been working at e-MDs

Pros

I disagree with the posts here. E-MDs is no better or worse than other companies I have worked for. I work directly with Dr. Winn and I absolutely disagree that he is a terrible businessman. I think he is every bit as good as any of the top entrepreneurs I read about every week. Out of the hundred or so EMR companies, he has built one of the most successful and he has done this from his small medical practice without any investors. I have heard Dr Winn say more than once that he doesn’t really want to be CEO. He lives to design and he is damn good at it. He has invented a crazy smart way to find ICD-10 codes and he designed the new web EMR. I have seen or worked with many different EMRs over the years and his new designs are way ahead of everyone else. They are seriously brilliant and he has a great team behind him making everything come together.

Cons

If eMDs can get some good management and Dr. Winn and his team can focus on getting these products out, I think the other EMR companies will be in deep trouble.

Not a good company for long term

I worked at e-MDs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I originally started at e-MDs, there were signs of positive growth potential. Please note that I said "were".

Cons

The company had a strong software product. Unfortunately upper management lost sight of how to continue in the right direction. They choose to allocate all resources to the new product, so those working on the original product were left "holding the bag". We no longer had the resources or the support of management to do our jobs effectively. There was a "suck it up" attitude from middle, upper, and executive level management. This promoted high employee turnover.

I worked there for several years and never received a performance evaluation. Each year management said there would be one with appropriate compensation, but this did not occur.

1) Conduct regular performance evaluations. 2) LISTEN to ALL employees' ideas and concerns 3) Support and acknowledge ALL employees' efforts and successes

Most people are underpaid, some are overworked the rest do very little because there is no reward for hard work.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start your career or start in healthcare industry. Good place to work if you do not have a family, or kids have grown up. I suspect people come here to retire instead of doing nothing at home. A lot of divorced people in this company also so I guess that also helps if you want to work here. You will also learn what not to do in the future (products, business, technology) and may get to experiment and try new things as long as they do not cost money.

Cons

The health insurance is ridiculously expensive for family coverage. This is in addition to getting paid below market. Bonuses and salary increases are rare, plus there is usually some business reason why, yet again, you will not get the bonus/promotion/salary you were promised. Stick around and next year you will get something you will be told. Every year. Even the office equipment, break room machines, computers, and software is old and ugly.

This needs to come from Dr. Winn since this is his company. If you invest in your employees, compensate them properly, have a decent office, give people the tools they need to do their job (newer hardware and software), etc, then the good employees will not leave and then management can deal with the lazy or incompetent ones. Happy employees are good employees who improve the quality of the product and make the company profitable.

Management can't make decisions.

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, great reputation. I'm proud of the work we are doing. EMDS has better medical software than any company I've seen and I've seen a lot, but they can't seem to get anything finished.

Cons

Communication is better than before, but still not good. Some of the upper management is awful, yet they persist. There has been a lot of turnover in both management and employees, some of it good, some not. We have lost too many good people and still have too many losers. Morale is better today, but still needs work. Most people are there to get a paycheck and that's it. Too much finger pointing, not enough personal responsibility.

Pay needs to be much better to keep good talent given the management problems. Dr Winn is probably a fine doctor and has proven himself as a visionary and product designer, but he sucks as a businessman. EMDs should be the top EMR in the industry and it is not even close. Winn has surrounded himself with a bunch of yes men who can't make decisions and try to hide problems from him. He should fire all or most of his senior management and start over.

Fast paced environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people. Most are passionate about what they do.
    There is always something new to work on, or a process you can help fix
    Flexibility and work/life balance. There are times that deadlines call for extra hours, but that time is always compensated.
    Annual bonus program / regular merit increases.

Cons

The industry demands ever changing priorities.

Facilitate greater alignment of priorities between departments. At times it can feel like different departments work for different companies.

Poor oversight and no direction

Former Employee - Software Trainer
    Former Employee - Software Trainer

I worked at e-MDs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much supervision and plenty of downtime. Good compensation for travel days.

Cons

Low salary compared to other EMR companies, Even the highest paid trainers were underpaid.

Consider ways to improve your "train the trainer" process. Find better senior trainers that care about the success of new employees and are not threatened by bright and hard working coworkers. Employees are not fully equipped to train the software because their coworkers do not care to share advice and guidance. Truly evaluate which employees are valuable and not base decisions off of personal preference.

Frustrating

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and the product are the best part of this company.

Cons

Poor communication, weak executive team that can't make decisions, lower than market salaries, no raises, promises that aren't delivered and slackers somehow stay on forever, while people who work hard and perform over and above are let go.

Listen to your customers, listen to your employees, keep your promises, get appropriate resources in place, update your equipment, evaluate all processes, learn from your mistakes, be pro-active instead of reactive, reward hardworking employees with commensurate salaries.

I had never been so stressed and overworked in my life.

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at e-MDs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary was acceptable. They moved forward with paperwork very quickly after I accepted their offer.

Cons

Very low morale. Expectations to work nights and weekends were common. Very low salary for the amount of hours put in. Healthcare provided was very expensive. For a company in the healthcare industry, I felt like my health was not really of much consideration. Poor training for QA. Not many learning opportunities that will apply to other companies.

The QA staff needs much more emphasis on training. It's very difficult to ensure a quality product is produced if experience with a module is minimal and no training has been provided previously. The development team needs to perform better testing before rolling out new builds. There were countless times in which a problem either was not fixed, or something was very obviously broken when the build was available as a result of the new/modified code.

The development team also needs stricter deadlines. It is incredibly unfair to expect QA to work nights and weekends in order to meet the project's deadline because the development team did not adhere to their deadlines during the earlier part of the week.

Don't lock down testing environments to the point that they are almost unusable. There were ridiculous amounts of hoops to jump through in order to get access to some environments for testing. It should not have required 3 different teams to perform different administrative tasks in order for me to complete some of the tasks I was assigned. Every time I had to rely on another team to do something simple in order to move forward, it really halted productivity.

The attempts to improve morale could definitely be stepped up. An off-site party for the engineering team in which they are expected to go back to work for an hour is just silly. Offer healthier options at the monthly breakfasts.

Overworked, but enjoyed the work, until a group formed that pushes out those who actually want to get things done.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at e-MDs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great industry to be in right now. Great customers. Great "Alpha site" for experimenting with new features.

Cons

Little to no recognition for good work. If you do get recognized for your work rather than your playing of politics, then you will be blackballed by a group that will eventually find a way to push you out.

Get rid of the politics. Reward those who get things done, not those who suck up.

If you are early in your career or have low expectations then this is the place to be.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

learn a growing industry, great location.

Cons

upper management will always have the last word on any project. Very tough to advance your career at e-MDs. You can be let go at anytime if they do not like your work.

e-MDs Photos