e-MDs Reviews

2.7
Jim Brady

Hmmm

I worked at e-MDs

Pros

Has been bought, merged and downsized.

Cons

Changing but has been run like a mom and pop despite being over 200 employees.

Jul 21, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We did have a re-organization recently following the acquisition and merger. The re-organization included some separations, promotions and other types ... More

Training Specialist

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at e-MDs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Able to Telecommute 50% of the time during the last 2 years with the company.

Cons

Project management does not understand the functionality of the software, yet they are left in charge of scheduling the training. Development does not communicate changes in the product in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

The new management does not appreciate the years of experience that they trashed with the recent lay-off.

3. Contradictions

I have been working at e-MDs full-time

Pros

The majority of employees I've worked with are fantastic. Lots of good problem solving. There's clearer direction from the new owners.

Cons

The health benefits are quite a bit more expensive than buying in the open market. On top of that, they don't even pay 100% for the employee. Also there's been a little too much focus on overly complex processes and metrics which drastically reduce the amount of work that can actually get done. When you have to spend half your day jumping through hoops, it diminishes the amount and quality of work that can get done. A lot of processes are also being developed without the business areas it will apply to involved in the discussion or design at all. It seems that someone who isn't actually doing the work day in and day out would have any idea how to implement processes that are the least intrusive as possible.

Advice to Management

Ensure that clear communication isn't just coming down from the c-Suite, but that other departments don't have undue influence over others they aren't directly responsible for. People can't do their jobs when they're being hamstrung by people they don't report to.

Jul 21, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for the review! We would appreciate having more information regarding processes and departmental influences. Please reach out to your manager, business leader or HR.

Neutral

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After acquisition, transparency have increased. Management try to get feedback from employees (or may be pretend to take feedback :) ). After layoff, CEO talked with employees and tried to answered their questions. In past layoffs, they used to just announce layoffs. Employees are nice. Salary level has improved a little bit in last few years. Company is still making profit and its in right direction. New management has some long term plans, that may make company stronger.

Cons

Despite things were going well, there was a shocking layoff. As expected from an equity firm, one can clearly see, "money first, people later" kind of attitude from management. Well, its pretty much every other business. Yearly review process is one of the worst. Its completely up to your manager's personal liking/disliking. People lost their bonus/raises for b***s**t reasons. Some managers are nice, who take care of their colleagues.

Advice to Management

(**Most of the advises are based on old practices. Hope new management will improve.) - Improve yearly review process. If you don't want to give raise/salary, fine. Say up front. Do not discourage employees by giving bad reviews just to save money.

Jul 21, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for writing a review. Just to be clear, we have not experienced a layoff. We had a re-organization that resulted in some separations, promotions and other job changes. Our performance ... More

Great start... Not so great ending

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at e-MDs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-People are really great to work with -Most people care about the Product/Customers and want it to succeed -Ability to learn a-lot about the software -Customers -Was able to experience multiple positions within the company

Cons

SALARIES are really low so many talented people have left the company over the years. It is a shame. Not sure what direction the company is moving toward since the acquisition by Marlin

Advice to Management

Invest in your number one resource: EMPLOYEES Need long range planning. Stop being reactive

Jul 21, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for writing a review. We participate in annual compensation studies that show we are either in line with the market, or above market for salaries for the Health IT market. We have also ... More

Get in and get out

I have been working at e-MDs

Pros

-Coworkers are best part of the job -Good work/life balance -Good place to get initial experience to find a better company that pays more inline with the industry.

Cons

-Low pay. Everyone of the people that I've spoken with that left the company improved their salary by at least 10k by going elsewhere. -Management seems to be out of touch with what's going on at ground level. -Most teams are understaffed -Work PCs are way outdated. -Lots of office politics

Advice to Management

-Upgrade equipment -Pay your employees better to prevent high turnover -Provide a better work environment(Offer free beverages/snacks to employees in the break rooms/cafeteria, fix the broken ice machine, etc. Seriously, things like this go a long way and might even make the low pay more bearable)

Jul 21, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback.

Do yourself a favor and pass

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get some entry level experience into the health IT field and learn what's going on in the industry (then you move on). The company was taken over by Marlin Equity. If that didn't happen, it was sure to implode within the next year or so. Marlin will realize in the end though that the people managing are the problem and will sell to a competitor.

Cons

It's true that you can learn about the health IT field and the nature of the industry. Most people will get some experience and move on to a competitor due to low pay, poor benefits, terrible communication and mediocre management. It's run like a mom and pop shop. Be careful what you say in an interview, if you seem too eager to learn about opportunities in the future, you may not get the job. This company wants your ambition to stay put. Those who get promoted typically have been here the longest and are not necessarily qualified for the job. The company knows employees aren't satisfied with management so they try new strategies like management workshops (which I hear are a joke) and employee satisfaction surveys. Those who are satisfied at e-MDs know that they will not get fired, there is no urgency for anything and getting yelled at is just a typical day. Marlin brought in consultants to improve things but it is clear that the executives and middle management are the problem and if they stay the same, no change will occur.

Advice to Management

Improve communication. The entire company is completely confused on whether or not the Cloud product is ready to be sold (and I don't mean hosting). If a customer calls they may get several different answers based on who they ask. A newsletter every week is a step in the right direction but only scratches the surface. If things continue the way the are, all the good people will be gone and with the way people are quitting left and right, that process has already begun.

Jul 21, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for your review. Please reach out to someone to provide additional details - your manager, business leader or HR.

I think I will stay!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working in a challenging environment. The company has just received some much needed capital and I am excited for what is coming down the pipe. Hours are great and flexible! Salary is great! People and culture are diverse and Austin friendly!

Cons

Growing pains create some chaos, but it is getting better every day. The medical industry is slow to change which I believe actually makes things more expensive not less.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more and not just implement the same old strategies. Keep up the good work with team building and diversity programs.

Jun 9, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you are enjoying working at e-MDs. As you know the EMR arena is changing at a dramatic pace. Keeping up with all the changes ... More

rolling up my sleeves..

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Healthcare overall has changed due to the laws - considering how important it is to have people that can translate law into technology, build, migrate, train and educate the community as a whole.. and all within timeframes set by Congress then you can understand the challenges faced by all EHRs today. I am a mission based employee and the changes brought about require your "A game" in any role that you have in healthcare today. Our company has had some growing to do and due to a new relationship (see our website) the opportunities of building healthcare solutions from the ground floor exist in this company. Our company has stayed lean but competitive and is looking for people interested in building a healthcare solution.

Cons

Everyone in healthcare needs more time and more resources.

Advice to Management

I have voiced my advice internally and I believe I see the results in action.

Jun 9, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for writing this review! We are pleased that you are seeing changes based on your feedback. Please continue to provide advice and suggestions....we are listening!

11. Positive Outlook

I have been working at e-MDs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was apprehensive about the recent acquisition but it seems like we are now going in the right direction. I enjoy helping customers on a daily basis. I get treated like an adult and am not micromanaged. My fellow employees are great and most of the time, it's a team atmosphere. The building is in a great location and the casual dress code is a huge plus.

Cons

The benefits aren't the greatest, the pay could be better. We don't get much guidance or feedback from management unless we've done something wrong. Clients tend to take out their frustrations on whomever is trying to help them, which can wear you down. The building and equipment is outdated and our work space feels cramped.

Advice to Management

Positive feedback and recognition of good work goes a long way. If a few people in the department are doing something wrong, speak with just those people instead of chastising the entire department. Appreciate those who strive to do a good job.

Jun 12, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review! We are excited about the acquisition and the direction of the company. We are currently reviewing benefits and anticipate that with being part of ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed