eBay Enterprise

Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

eBay Enterprise President Craig Hayman
Craig Hayman

Pros
  • Excellent work environment - It is a pleasure to be in the office, even though I can work from home (in 13 reviews)

• Bagels on Wednesdays, Chips on Fridays (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Working from home should be consider to create better work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• no career path , no work life balance , bad senior management, instead of fixing the source of the problems they fall trying, by adding a new process (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Check your expectations of work-life balance at the door...

I have been working at eBay Enterprise

Pros

Salary
    Learn a lot... fast
    Casual dress

Cons

High expectations that you will work long hours and be available any time
    Hard to get recognized or promoted fairly
    Lots of turnover
    Poor planning / processes

Brutal Pace - the right team means everything

Current Employee - Technical Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is very high. Under a manager who aligns goals properly, it's possible to rise in job grade with relative swiftness.

Pay is above average for most positions. In the right group under a manager who knows how to recognize accomplishments, the financial rewards can be amazing.

The breadth of available technologies to work with is great.

Cons

The pace isn't for everyone. In nearly any team in nearly any department, a lot is demanded of you with little resources and little time.

It seems there's a hiring freeze every other week, so teams are never staffed properly.

Retention is abysmal. Those working 3+ years here are considered seasoned veterans. Don't count on the person next to you sticking around for long.

There is a huge disconnect between upper management and the low level grunts. Lip service is paid to aligning goals of individuals with company goals but there is never any follow through.

Take the time to actual talk to some of the people "on the ground" once in a while.

Just a horrible place to work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at eBay Enterprise

Pros

The pay and benefits are decent

Cons

Everything else? I knew I made a mistake a week after I started. Everyone is miserable. Low morale. Constant finger pointing and passing the buck amongst teams and departments. High turnover and that's not even considering the layoffs that happen almost yearly. They're losing clients left and right because of missed goals and timelines. Run far and fast away from this company

Care a little about your employees.

A rough road ahead...

Former Employee - Group Director in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Group Director in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Interesting work with high profile clients
    - The agency team in KOP is hard-working and dedicated
    - Impressive benefit package

Cons

For years I watched top-talent -- good, hardworking employees -- resign or get laid off. Here are only a few of the reasons...

- Massive staff turnover -- over 30% annual voluntary attrition
    - Terribly understaffed -- 400+ layoffs in 2013 leaving a barebones and overworked employee base
    - Missed revenue targets year after year -- bonuses only partially funded in 2012 & 2013
    - Poor and disorganized leadership -- CEO resigned in January for "family" reasons, head of agency dismissed in Nov 2013, too many reorgs to count
    - Technology platform in shambles -- current clients are jumping ship left and right and almost no new clients are coming on board (hence missed revenue targets)
    - Unhappy and dissatisfied clients -- tired of broken promises and massive delays on the technology front, clients are pulling work from the agency
    - Lack of culture - No glue or common tread holding the disparate groups together, everyone is out for themselves

I wish that I had advice. Leaving was bitter sweet, as I loved my core job, the people who I worked with day-to-day and the awesome clients. I didn't love the BS, I didn't love fighting so hard day in and day out, I didn't love a constant revenue target over my head and feeling like I was never doing enough and never could do enough.

Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have very solid fulfillment practices completed by an overall hardworking and dedicated staff. As a company, I think eBay wishes to be a premier employer that provides a great work environment.

Cons

Worklife balance isn't very good and compensation is average. The company does not capitalize on opportunities to further invest in current clients and misses value added services opportunities that could generate additional revenue.

Strive to improve employee retention through worklife balance and compensation. Build infrastructure that supports growth rate.

It was an ok place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne, FL

I worked at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were awesome,and the coworkers and some of the management I worked with was great,as well as the customers.

Cons

When they hire you,they have you sign a contract that states your schedule,pay rate and etc,BUT,then they'll change your schedule to a totally different shift even though you signed a legal contract with them a yr before.

be upfront with your employees about their schedules,pay rates and etc & more importantly stick to it.

You can take charge of your own career

Current Employee - Technology Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there are a lot of opportunities in front of you to make a difference, you can jump in and drive something that you want to see fixed, leaders appreciate you taking the initiative and taking ownership

Cons

Some people don't want to take initiative or take ownership, and they blame their dissatsifaction on others

Hire stronger talent who is willing to go above and beyond

Company of last resort

Current Employee - Grunt in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Grunt in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Few things I like about this place: paycheck, exposure to many different and current technologies, great co-workers--really smart, talented people.

Cons

We were GSI Commerce. That is being eroded and anything with GSI stamped on it is being erased. Our president told us a year ago, "If you don't subscribe to our [corporate] philosophy, you should leave." How awful is that? I don't have a mission to change the world for eBay. That is so wrong and offensive. I don't want to leave. I want to do the same good job I've done for many years. I'll change the world on my own time, thank you.

It's often very difficult to find the right person to help. It's a complex engine and you can't figure it out yourself. Because turnover is so high the subject matter expert you thought you knew quit or was fired last week.

Also, management is dysfunctional, delusional, and deficient. Constant reorgs. Exactly how many times can you restructure the middle managers in a year or two? Apparently there is no limit with this company.

Stop punishing the workers.

GSI Commerce (not necessarily ebay) had a work culture of driving it's employees into the ground.

Former Employee - Technical Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was better than some

Cons

The Culture at this company was that perception was all that mattered. I managed a team and would be told on a Thursday afternoon or Friday morning that I had to have my team in the office working on the weekend with no prior notification or ability to avoid the situation (i.e. tell me on Monday what we need to get done by Friday to avoid weekend work). It also didn't even matter what work you were doing, they just wanted it to look like we were working. We missed 3 Go-live dates in my time there and for one of them there wasn't even an acknowledgment that the date was going to be missed until after it had passed. Many of the senior management are now gone somewhat due to this situation.

Working more hours does not make you a better company

Ebay is flushing GSI members out.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at eBay Enterprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

Underpaid, minimal room for growth.

eBay Enterprise Photos