eBay Inc.

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.3 1,056 reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance(in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer(in 68 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes(in 40 reviews)

1,056 Employee Reviews

Nice place to work. Bad place to innovate.

Data Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt's a really nice place to work in that the hours are reasonable, the environment is pleasant, the work opportunities are varied and interesting, the people are mostly friendly, the cafeteria is decent. There's plenty of money to do what needs to be done and at least while I was there it is thriving.

ConsThe company is crippled by a cash cow that brings in money no matter what you so, so it doesn't matter what you do. There is no reward for innovation and no penalty for mediocrity. The environment is highly political. If you want to rise in responsibility, you need to be good at that game. If you just want to do your job (and do what you are told), it's a very simple and easy place to be. If you want to be bold, innovative and effective, I would go elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone with fancy credentials is as smart as they think they are. Not everyone without credentials is as ignorant as you think they are.

Mediocre company with good people

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of different kinds of work to do. Good first experience.

ConsPoor senior leadership. No alignment. Review process is political and unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who report to you will leave because of the failed structure you set up. If you really believe in retention, change it.

Great place to work

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat customer impact. Great management, team work is well appreciated and a good place to develop people and technical skills.

Sometimes you reach career flats where you want to consider moving around, but depending on manager, its relatively easy to change teams. Lots of opportunities within eBay and Paypal.

Relatively new tech stack completely based on open source standards.

ConsDepending on your area, a lot of domains will end up with similar work.

Massive legacy code base and redundant functionality on site.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and perks are ok

ConsLeadership, a lot of people in charge of things they don't even understand. To many hierarchy levels, to many managers, duplicated efforts everywhere, bureaucracy, trivial knowledge and lack of documentation.

Very great experience; I learned a lot

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIntern housing was given (free), team was extremely helpful and fun to work with

ConsNo free food, slow progress when trying to get changes approved (as always with the corporate world)

Very dynamic and fast paced environment

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery very smart people and they do real work.They are paid well and are expected to take responsibility. Work hard, play hard atmosphere.

Conspeople are very busy to give you time

Advice to Senior Managementnone

very good

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosthey take good care of thier employees

Consfrustrating how much wasted money and time is spent because of poor management decisions. Very difficult to make changes or get management to make a decisions

Advice to Senior Managementmake decisions and stick to them

Very rewarding!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProfessional development, strong communication, great product.

ConsNot focused on employee engagement or customer satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know everyone in our company, there are so many talented people that get ignored.

Good

Finance Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsInteresting industry to work in - very dynamic and cutting edge silicon valley buzz.

ConsNot family friendly as a working mother

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in current employees and promote within.

risk analyst

Senior Risk Analyst (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosnice benefit,lots opportunity,lots work.so many project s,smart co-worker

Constoo much time on politics and reorgs

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!