eBay Inc.

eBay Inc. Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros:
  • "Great people to work with, flexibillity, generous pay, work life balance"
    in 84 reviews
  • "Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer"
    in 55 reviews
  • "Lack of alignment from senior management and lack of decision making ability"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good culture and tallented people working here

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsOpen to the ideas and process.

ConsEvery 2 weeks there is an release so evryone will feel some pressure

Awesome!!

Intern-MBA (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery Helpful.Steep Learning curve.Excellent networking opportunities.

ConsI dont have any cons to put over here.

Great place to work

Manager (Current Employee)
Draper, UT

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany opportunities in many sectors due to eBay's size. They've committed a lot to the infrastructure to this site so you know they will be here a long time. Executives have committed time and money to development of the people.

ConsForced rankings for employees. While not a huge issue, I also don't think it encourages the right behaviors.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would love to hear how our benefits have improved instead of hearing how we're competing in the marketplace so we're decreasing benefits.

project manager

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for less than a year

Prosvery collegial, smart people, with some great ideas and passion

Consa bit stovepiped and with some people being promoted that did not have good management skills

Advice to Senior Managementdon't do processes for the sake of doing processes, make sure they count

Sometimes the best, sometimes the worst

Director, Software Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, a lot of great people, some interesting and challenging projects on the cutting edge of technology.
The company provides a lot of training and free access to a lot of valuable resources for personal and professional growth for both the technologists and managers. There's a lot of opportunities to grow in the company or make a lateral shift by moving to other team or project.

ConseBay has heavily overloaded and complex hierarchical structure with multiple tiers of management. It might be interesting for people who want to grow in management ranks. But it's definitely not the right culture for majority of start-up folks which are acquired by eBay year over year.
If you need a real-life application of Parkinson's law on bureaucracies that multiply themselves - this is a place to come and see it. Self-sustained manager cohort grows, projects could be turned down the "next day" they started, the same thing could worked on by multiple independent teams in different departments, rewards are often given to unrelated but favored managers and people in front lines in the actual teams who do the work are ignored - all of this can be found here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish the leadership team initiatives started in the couple of last year come true one day, and the currently "rather good" company becomes a great and enduring company. I believe this is the right thing to do, yet there's still a long road to go.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat pay, housing and special events for interns. Great people in the team, very friendly and helpful. The training was very useful both for working on projects at eBay and later in my career.

ConsMore clarity needed as to why the department needed interns and whether they will have a position for you in future.

Good large org experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProseBay is competitive, or does its best, with competing offers... surprising to me. RSUs are competitive. Bonus plans are usually good and payout; 2013 was the exception as the company didn't meet its goals so payout was below 100%. However if you exceed then you can bring it back up to 100%.

ConsDepending on which group you belong to, sometimes the message doesn't get to you. Some groups are just not that good at communicating.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers on the basics: Interviewing, leadership, etc.

best place to work but weak management

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Prosgreat work life balance
lots of opportunities to try different things

Conspoor decision making and weak top management
low accountability and ownership

Great company but not vertical growth

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay, great benefits. Will find ways to make the job work with your life.

ConsIts primarily a call center so don't expect to get your foot in the door and then move up. There is a huge bottle neck of customer service reps trying to get professional positions and most of those are filled by external candidates. If you get highered as a customer service rep, don't plan on getting promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do you pay for everyone's school degree's and then not give them an opportunity to use it? I would love to give back to the company after getting 3 years of tuition reimbursement but not as a teammate on the phone.

Great place to work, very comfortable environment

Software Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at eBay Inc. as a contractor for less than a year

ProsEveryone was very relaxed and the environment was very welcoming. I worked in the mobile QA department and everyone was always willing to help me out (being new at the profession).

ConsOnly con was that my whole team was working on contracts, and towards the end were starting to shift to other projects, but out of no where got dropped due to some new hiring requirements that we didn't meet. It was a bummer, but that's how contracts work I guess.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust a little more communication and heads up with how a contract is going to play out.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for eBay Inc. CEO John J. Donahoe. All 970 reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees.