eBay Inc.

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.3 1,053 reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance(in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer(in 65 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes(in 40 reviews)

1,053 Employee Reviews

Amazing internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe senior management takes the internship program very seriously and invests heavily I'm it.
    Lots of feed back from managers and coworkers.

ConsVery high paced and stressful
    Working out of any office other than San Jose makes for a very disjointed experience

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude the remote interns more.
    Power[UP] was the highlight of my summer.

Immerse yourself in eCommerce

Director (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProseBay is an innovative, forward thinking company with a very positive corporate culture, strong executive leadership at corporate level (in San Jose), excellent benefits and internal employee programs, and very smart people.

ConsThere was zero work like balance at eBay Enterprise (formerly GSI Commerce). There were integration pains in relation to corporate culture. eBay Enterprise's leadership not quite on board with corporate leadership priorities as it related to work/life balance. Employees did not feel comfortable taking advantage of any internal program that didn't result in more GMV for their clients and management did little to discourage this behavior. Also, clients were unhappy with continued delays to technology platform, which created strained relations for those managing client relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on board with encouraging employees to take time to recharge.

Great place when you start, not so great when you have been there a long time. They don't value employee loyalty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are wonderful people to work with around the company. The sabbatical program is of course a plus (after having worked there 5 years). I found a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned a lot during my time there.

ConsAfter a number of promotions and over 10 years of working there, I barely got a pat on the back when I left. I went in and felt like a contributor that mattered for a number of years and left feeling like a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people managers. There are a lot of smart people out there, but you're suffering in the morale and productivity departments because of the lack of true mentors at the company. Don't throw new programs at the problem (I know there's a mentoring program.). You need to hire people that actually inspire others. And please start showing those that have stuck with the company through good and bad some appreciation, instead of operating a culture that makes that loyalty feel like a negative.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer 2, Quality

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLot of domains and fast paced learning. Active environment to work for. Good facilities.

ConsCareer development opportunities are less.
    No Scope to learn great technologies.
    Lot of re-orgs.

Love the job and environment

Key Account Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent work/life balance. Great benefits. Fair pay. Decent career advancement opportunities.

ConsPoor training. Slow decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo slow to make decisions. At times, doing whats best for the customer and/or long-term benefit of the company is sacrificed for whats best for the company in the short term.

A culture that values people and commerce over technology for its own sake.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsLeadership and management are focused on developing people as the means of achieving great results. People are not just cogs in a machine (as in many tech companies). Also, a fascinating foray into one of the largest online marketplaces in the world.

ConsLeadership is a bit slow to make hard decisions that rationalize multiple conflicting projects. Figuring out the linkage of your work to the big picture strategies is a bit difficult (as in any large organization). There appears to be a reluctance to pull the company together and forcefully breakdown personal (VP-level) kingdoms.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't coddle the VP's if you want to have a successful "One Company", as you claim. If they won't work together (after sufficient time at the effort), fire them and get leaders who will work towards the overall good rather than just their own domain.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWell defined Structure. Lot of opportunities to learn and grow. Overall a great place to work!

ConsTechnical support/team is outsourced to IBM. It is highly disorganized, unprofessional and also not technically competent. management takes all possible initiatives, but still unsuccessful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control of your Vendors and ensure they deliver what they promise!!

Overall good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and perks are ok

ConsLeadership, a lot of people in charge of things they don't even understand. To many hierarchy levels, to many managers, duplicated efforts everywhere, bureaucracy, trivial knowledge and lack of documentation.

Very dynamic and fast paced environment

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery very smart people and they do real work.They are paid well and are expected to take responsibility. Work hard, play hard atmosphere.

Conspeople are very busy to give you time

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Very great experience; I learned a lot

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIntern housing was given (free), team was extremely helpful and fun to work with

ConsNo free food, slow progress when trying to get changes approved (as always with the corporate world)

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!