eBay Inc.

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.3 1,058 reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance (in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer (in 68 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights
1,058 Employee Reviews

Great place when you start, not so great when you have been there a long time. They don't value employee loyalty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are wonderful people to work with around the company. The sabbatical program is of course a plus (after having worked there 5 years). I found a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned a lot during my time there.

ConsAfter a number of promotions and over 10 years of working there, I barely got a pat on the back when I left. I went in and felt like a contributor that mattered for a number of years and left feeling like a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people managers. There are a lot of smart people out there, but you're suffering in the morale and productivity departments because of the lack of true mentors at the company. Don't throw new programs at the problem (I know there's a mentoring program.). You need to hire people that actually inspire others. And please start showing those that have stuck with the company through good and bad some appreciation, instead of operating a culture that makes that loyalty feel like a negative.

Amazing internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe senior management takes the internship program very seriously and invests heavily I'm it.
    Lots of feed back from managers and coworkers.

ConsVery high paced and stressful
    Working out of any office other than San Jose makes for a very disjointed experience

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude the remote interns more.
    Power[UP] was the highlight of my summer.

Immerse yourself in eCommerce

Director (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProseBay is an innovative, forward thinking company with a very positive corporate culture, strong executive leadership at corporate level (in San Jose), excellent benefits and internal employee programs, and very smart people.

ConsThere was zero work like balance at eBay Enterprise (formerly GSI Commerce). There were integration pains in relation to corporate culture. eBay Enterprise's leadership not quite on board with corporate leadership priorities as it related to work/life balance. Employees did not feel comfortable taking advantage of any internal program that didn't result in more GMV for their clients and management did little to discourage this behavior. Also, clients were unhappy with continued delays to technology platform, which created strained relations for those managing client relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on board with encouraging employees to take time to recharge.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer 2, Quality

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLot of domains and fast paced learning. Active environment to work for. Good facilities.

ConsCareer development opportunities are less.
    No Scope to learn great technologies.
    Lot of re-orgs.

Love the job and environment

Key Account Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent work/life balance. Great benefits. Fair pay. Decent career advancement opportunities.

ConsPoor training. Slow decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo slow to make decisions. At times, doing whats best for the customer and/or long-term benefit of the company is sacrificed for whats best for the company in the short term.

A culture that values people and commerce over technology for its own sake.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsLeadership and management are focused on developing people as the means of achieving great results. People are not just cogs in a machine (as in many tech companies). Also, a fascinating foray into one of the largest online marketplaces in the world.

ConsLeadership is a bit slow to make hard decisions that rationalize multiple conflicting projects. Figuring out the linkage of your work to the big picture strategies is a bit difficult (as in any large organization). There appears to be a reluctance to pull the company together and forcefully breakdown personal (VP-level) kingdoms.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't coddle the VP's if you want to have a successful "One Company", as you claim. If they won't work together (after sufficient time at the effort), fire them and get leaders who will work towards the overall good rather than just their own domain.

Great place, but culture is changing

Attorney (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFriendly, open people, and always something challenging going on.

ConsCulture is changing...more hierarchical than ever. Not culturally diverse as other Bay Area tech companies. Also, career growth limited - not much room to move up.

Good company; team is important

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros* overall the company's management is good. Not too much of bureaucracy for the big company and they are making it even less over time.
    * decent amount of smart people
    * if you get in a right team - the projects are interesting
    * good benefits, decent compensation

Cons* if you got in a wrong team - there might be boring projects, not so smart co-workers, bad code

Call center positions beyond stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits kicked butt
    Bagel day (before I quit carbs) and free snacks/drinks
    My team lead was great
    HR department is amazing
    Pay is top notch
    Training was extensive
    Emails to notify of changes and job openings (unfortunately none that call center employees could apply for)
    Teammates/team leads from other teams were always nice and helpful
    Nice location
    Free gym membership and swag

ConsCafeteria quite a ways away, 30 minute lunch---you do the math
    Coach scored calls like (s)he was a Harvard professor, I guess they never finished college for being a teacher and fell on this job
    To get a bonus you have to meet crazy metrics! You feel rushed to get off the phone, don't dare get an escalation, but don't make the member feel rushed. Say what???
    Feels like they're trying to cut numbers, hired a bunch of people, and like 1/4 have quit/been fired since the site opened.
    Icy days? Don't call in or you'll get docked. Kids sick? No sitter? Death in the family? If you don't get PTO approved in advance (darn you grandpa for not giving me a two weeks notice of your death) you get docked.

No room for growth! Employees were told that there would be when we first got hired. But there wasn't. A new site opening up in Chicago though.

I was very happy at first to work here then quickly and shortly that feeling dissolved.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the team leads need more appreciation for their hard work. There needs to be more flexibility with employees and real life situations. The coaching of calls needs to be toned down and more realistic. In order to be a top place for employees to want to work at, changes needed to be made.

More room for growth for employees. Pretty much what you see is what you'll get.

Fast paced company

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsYou will get lot of experience in less time.

ConsWork life balance is compromised

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to care about work life balance

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!