eBay Inc.

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.3 1,056 reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance(in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer(in 68 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes(in 40 reviews)

1,056 Employee Reviews

International environment

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsA demanding company, but very focused on the employee needs. International teams, people from all over the world, lots of tools to work with.

ConsYou can think about a career inside the company and in different areas, everything it starts from a good training.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional and very well selected.

Very pleasant work

Seller Satisfaction Manager (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsEnjoyed shilling on their discussion boards to make unhappy sellers even more miserable.

ConsAll of the free sesame seed bagels were eaten up before I got to work and I had to settle for garlic ones...EWWWW

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying a dividend to shareholders

Life Friendly Employer

Pros- fantastic work life balance: work from home whenever, flexible hours
    - people are generally good to each other; cooperative work environment
    - great place to learn the best of big data

Cons- management decision making mainly aimed at on small incremental gains
    - lack of a sense of pride
    - business people trump engineers in decision making processes, making many valued engineers leave

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe senior management takes the internship program very seriously and invests heavily I'm it.
    Lots of feed back from managers and coworkers.

ConsVery high paced and stressful
    Working out of any office other than San Jose makes for a very disjointed experience

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude the remote interns more.
    Power[UP] was the highlight of my summer.

Nice experience as an intern

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsYou can learn a lot
    nice office sport to relax your brain

ConsNot very good work-life balance

Immerse yourself in eCommerce

Director (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProseBay is an innovative, forward thinking company with a very positive corporate culture, strong executive leadership at corporate level (in San Jose), excellent benefits and internal employee programs, and very smart people.

ConsThere was zero work like balance at eBay Enterprise (formerly GSI Commerce). There were integration pains in relation to corporate culture. eBay Enterprise's leadership not quite on board with corporate leadership priorities as it related to work/life balance. Employees did not feel comfortable taking advantage of any internal program that didn't result in more GMV for their clients and management did little to discourage this behavior. Also, clients were unhappy with continued delays to technology platform, which created strained relations for those managing client relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on board with encouraging employees to take time to recharge.

Fast paced company

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsYou will get lot of experience in less time.

ConsWork life balance is compromised

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to care about work life balance

Great place when you start, not so great when you have been there a long time. They don't value employee loyalty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are wonderful people to work with around the company. The sabbatical program is of course a plus (after having worked there 5 years). I found a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned a lot during my time there.

ConsAfter a number of promotions and over 10 years of working there, I barely got a pat on the back when I left. I went in and felt like a contributor that mattered for a number of years and left feeling like a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people managers. There are a lot of smart people out there, but you're suffering in the morale and productivity departments because of the lack of true mentors at the company. Don't throw new programs at the problem (I know there's a mentoring program.). You need to hire people that actually inspire others. And please start showing those that have stuck with the company through good and bad some appreciation, instead of operating a culture that makes that loyalty feel like a negative.

Great place, but culture is changing

Attorney (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFriendly, open people, and always something challenging going on.

ConsCulture is changing...more hierarchical than ever. Not culturally diverse as other Bay Area tech companies. Also, career growth limited - not much room to move up.

Software Engineer 2, Quality

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLot of domains and fast paced learning. Active environment to work for. Good facilities.

ConsCareer development opportunities are less.
    No Scope to learn great technologies.
    Lot of re-orgs.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!