eBay Inc. Reviews

3.7
1,103 Reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe
John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance (in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer (in 68 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been working for ebay for quite some time and it's a great place to work on. you get a chance to work latest technologies and the projects/area that interests you. Ebay also pays competitive salaryand other benefits.

Cons

Promotion is little tricky to get in the ebay . It takes 3-4 years for you to go to next level.

There are lot of redundancy of projects (different team trying to do the same thing). so i would recommend to fix that so that company can focus on newer initiative.

Good experience.

Former Employee - Technical PhD  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Technical PhD in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, great perks as an intern. Intern project was very interesting.

Cons

People claim to be Data scientists, but are actually data analysts. Few people have background in data mining or machine learning.

Quite a few promises, very few delivered on.

Former Employee - High Value Selling  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - High Value Selling in Austin, TX

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great community of peers
    Decent starting pay
    Great benefits

Cons

Management is inconsistent,
    Many promises are made for improvement but very few are kept,
    High stress environment pushing heavily on metrics,
    Large gap between "Core Values" and actual policy,
    Obscene amount of technical issues.

Fix your tech issues,
    Don't make promises you can't follow through on,
    Allow your management to fight for their subordinates, not for their own heads if metrics aren't met,
    Align policy to core values.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been great for the most part, learned a lot

Current Employee - Coach  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Coach in Draper, UT

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

gym, benefits, culture, sabbatical, location

Cons

management, high demand, compensation, humidity of building, career progression

focus on supporting, making teams feel valued, and career progression

Iterating on Mediocrity

Former Employee - Software Engineer III  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very cushy environment. Basically unlimited vacation time with the way "working from home" is treated. No real pressure to deliver anything.

Cons

There is no concept of failure. No ability to take risks. Ancient tech stack and lack of talent drives any high talent new hires to leave within 1 year.

Fire 1/3 of the company and start anew. Far to much deadwood. Also, be less concerned with managing legacy customers as you are about capturing new customers and markets.

Nice place, I just wasn't a fit for the role and the location

Former Employee - Director  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice office with a casual environment.
    Excellent compensation and benefits.
    Nice coworkers that were very hardworking and motivated.

Cons

I was hired right before my manager went on a required sabbatical (a great eBay benefit) which was not good for me since I had zero direction and literally no one, including myself, knew what I was supposed to do other than attend meeting after meeting. I never actually got a chance to do any work since I was in meetings literally all day.
    Speaking of meetings, I thing eBay needs less talking and more doing. I've never worked at a place that the sole purpose of a meeting was to discuss another meeting happening the same day.
    Salt Lake City isn't for everyone. While everyone was welcoming and nice, I felt that unless I was Mormon, into skiing or married with a family (I'm none of those) I would never really blend in. For instance, you can't hang out after work for a drink since most people don't drink. I've lived all over the USA so I speak from experience.

Less meaningless meetings and "analysis paralysis". Other than that, I think everything is headed in the right direction. I was just in the wrong job at the wrong time in the wrong location for me. Can't really fault the company for that.

Hard to be innovative or create value, especially in HR

Former Employee - Director  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time

Pros

Decent business strategy, many smart people, excellent brand. When a decision is made and backed up with investment, initiatives move forward and are executed.

Cons

HR is a nightmare. Slow to move on anything. No concept of value creation. Focused on optimizing what is already there and not open to new ideas. The hiring plan is used to manage costs and results in req freezes on a regular basis throughout the year. Lots of politics.

Great work family!

Former Employee - TCC  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - TCC in Austin, TX

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

I met some of the best people I've ever encountered working there. Learned more about the company than I thought possible.

Cons

Too many hands in the pot. Pushing out smart intelligent people who truly care about the customer experience. Changing the AHT and causing employees to worry about numbers instead of the customer.

When you have meetings weekly and constantly tell your employees to create a WOW experience, yet you're doing bad on numbers is not helpful. Biweekly team building would be more helpful. Everything learned in training is awesome, until your told it was all wrong. Valuing numbers over your customer experience is bad business.

Nice people, but very centralized and bureaucratic!

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

This is a good company if you want stability and good pay.

The benefits and pay grade are good. The work-life balance is very good. And the attitude of the employees is very friendly.

Cons

The important decisions are taken in the USA. So if you are not there, it is going very difficult to implement any important change to the product. If you really want to do something that is non cosmetic, then you need to play corporate politics and have a good network of key contacts (preferably in the USA).

As in most big companies, there is a lot of paperwork to do and it is important to conform to the corporate process.

If you are good at politics and analytics...

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very smart people. Still love the site and what it is about. Competitive salaries.

Cons

Very short term focused. Not very collaborative. Deep rooted silos and political environment make it hard to get anything done. While there are a lot of numbers / analyses that get passed around, but the reality is that decisions (which take way too long to make) are highly subjective. One of their core tenants is be open, honest, and direct. Not sure that they really live up to that ideal. Matrixed org creates many people involved in simple decisions.

Take the long view. Too much managerial overhead. Empower your people more at all levels.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!