eBay Inc. Reviews

3.7
1,111 Reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe
John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance (in 106 reviews)

• Alignment and strong purpose, working with very smart people - have direct impact from UK (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer (in 71 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Call center positions beyond stressful

I worked at eBay Inc.

Pros

Benefits kicked butt
    Bagel day (before I quit carbs) and free snacks/drinks
    My team lead was great
    HR department is amazing
    Pay is top notch
    Training was extensive
    Emails to notify of changes and job openings (unfortunately none that call center employees could apply for)
    Teammates/team leads from other teams were always nice and helpful
    Nice location
    Free gym membership and swag

Cons

Cafeteria quite a ways away, 30 minute lunch---you do the math
    Coach scored calls like (s)he was a Harvard professor, I guess they never finished college for being a teacher and fell on this job
    To get a bonus you have to meet crazy metrics! You feel rushed to get off the phone, don't dare get an escalation, but don't make the member feel rushed. Say what???
    Feels like they're trying to cut numbers, hired a bunch of people, and like 1/4 have quit/been fired since the site opened.
    Icy days? Don't call in or you'll get docked. Kids sick? No sitter? Death in the family? If you don't get PTO approved in advance (darn you grandpa for not giving me a two weeks notice of your death) you get docked.

No room for growth! Employees were told that there would be when we first got hired. But there wasn't. A new site opening up in Chicago though.

I was very happy at first to work here then quickly and shortly that feeling dissolved.

I think the team leads need more appreciation for their hard work. There needs to be more flexibility with employees and real life situations. The coaching of calls needs to be toned down and more realistic. In order to be a top place for employees to want to work at, changes needed to be made.

More room for growth for employees. Pretty much what you see is what you'll get.

Great place, but culture is changing

Current Employee - Attorney  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly, open people, and always something challenging going on.

Cons

Culture is changing...more hierarchical than ever. Not culturally diverse as other Bay Area tech companies. Also, career growth limited - not much room to move up.

Good company; team is important

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

* overall the company's management is good. Not too much of bureaucracy for the big company and they are making it even less over time.
    * decent amount of smart people
    * if you get in a right team - the projects are interesting
    * good benefits, decent compensation

Cons

* if you got in a wrong team - there might be boring projects, not so smart co-workers, bad code

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work. Bad place to innovate.

Former Employee - Data Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It's a really nice place to work in that the hours are reasonable, the environment is pleasant, the work opportunities are varied and interesting, the people are mostly friendly, the cafeteria is decent. There's plenty of money to do what needs to be done and at least while I was there it is thriving.

Cons

The company is crippled by a cash cow that brings in money no matter what you so, so it doesn't matter what you do. There is no reward for innovation and no penalty for mediocrity. The environment is highly political. If you want to rise in responsibility, you need to be good at that game. If you just want to do your job (and do what you are told), it's a very simple and easy place to be. If you want to be bold, innovative and effective, I would go elsewhere.

Not everyone with fancy credentials is as smart as they think they are. Not everyone without credentials is as ignorant as you think they are.

Fast paced company

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You will get lot of experience in less time.

Cons

Work life balance is compromised

Management needs to care about work life balance

Mediocre company with good people

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of different kinds of work to do. Good first experience.

Cons

Poor senior leadership. No alignment. Review process is political and unfair.

People who report to you will leave because of the failed structure you set up. If you really believe in retention, change it.

Fun and interesting job, but managers play favorites, and are unavailable

Current Employee - Fraud Investigator  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Draper, UT

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting, fast moving, good benefits, chances to move up in the company if you are favored.

Cons

Very biased in favor of gay community who get promoted even when they aren't the best workers, lack of communication with employees, deceitful behavior of management. Micromanagement to extreme.

Be up front and honest with employees, be fair with judging performance of all employees, improve management

A culture that values people and commerce over technology for its own sake.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership and management are focused on developing people as the means of achieving great results. People are not just cogs in a machine (as in many tech companies). Also, a fascinating foray into one of the largest online marketplaces in the world.

Cons

Leadership is a bit slow to make hard decisions that rationalize multiple conflicting projects. Figuring out the linkage of your work to the big picture strategies is a bit difficult (as in any large organization). There appears to be a reluctance to pull the company together and forcefully breakdown personal (VP-level) kingdoms.

Don't coddle the VP's if you want to have a successful "One Company", as you claim. If they won't work together (after sufficient time at the effort), fire them and get leaders who will work towards the overall good rather than just their own domain.

Great place to work

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great customer impact. Great management, team work is well appreciated and a good place to develop people and technical skills.

Sometimes you reach career flats where you want to consider moving around, but depending on manager, its relatively easy to change teams. Lots of opportunities within eBay and Paypal.

Relatively new tech stack completely based on open source standards.

Cons

Depending on your area, a lot of domains will end up with similar work.

Massive legacy code base and redundant functionality on site.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Well defined Structure. Lot of opportunities to learn and grow. Overall a great place to work!

Cons

Technical support/team is outsourced to IBM. It is highly disorganized, unprofessional and also not technically competent. management takes all possible initiatives, but still unsuccessful.

Take control of your Vendors and ensure they deliver what they promise!!

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!