eBay Inc.

eBay Inc. Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance(in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer(in 65 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes(in 40 reviews)

524 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Software engineer 3

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLove working with ebay. its awesome place to learn all the new technologies

Consnothing to complain about ebay. its awesome place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is more transparent and listen to employee voices

I thought more of eBay before I actually started working there.

Community Management Specialist (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- most of the employees are talented professionals
    - many resources are theoretically available
    - looks good on your resume

Cons- many other employees are bitter/burnt-out/micromanaged into being unproductive
    - many mid-level managers are unqualified and will not advocate for their reports... at all
    - the way contractors vs perm employees are treated is noticeable
    - some managers give you endless busy-work and do nothing with it... or worse yet, give you nothing to do at all for a long span of time - and then suddenly expect you to do the work of several people at a minute's notice.
    - many teams will not share resources, regardless of bandwidth
    - high turnover in certain teams
    - some managers have endless reports quitting with little to no notice (due to being hard to work with), and this is never reflected upon by their superiors
    - disorganized
    - contractors do not get PTO or much leeway
    - many teams and projects seem to be totally isolated and/or redundant
    - many people are so afraid of losing their jobs, they do not stop to ask obvious questions or voice any areas of concern
    - pay is lower than average for area and industry
    - many contractors are hired for a short period of time, promised an extension/promotion to perm, and then let go just to bring on more short-term contractors
    - many contractors are let go without notice, for arbitrary reasons

Advice to Senior Management- many of your mid-level managers could use improvement
    - hire more perm employees, or stop using contractors like tissue paper
    - salaries should better match local competition
    - teams should talk to each other more and not be so disorganized

Weak leadership

Project Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe Founder had great ideas, a vision for the future, and built a company that supported employees to enable them to do their jobs and encouraged innovation. Pay was adequate, low for Silicon Valley, but employee stock purchase opportunities and option grants were good, and sabbaticals were regularly scheduled.

ConsAs the company became more mature, the vision was lost, most of the new hires came fresh from Business School with a goal of resumé building. Rather than engage with the company, these employees looked to climbing the ladder up and out, and treated their jobs and co-workers as temporary, but aggressively sought recognition and remuneration.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what eBay is going to be for the future. Develop a vision of where you want to take eBay and the best (or better) way to get there. Stop trying so many different approaches without letting any of them continue to maturity. Don't buy any more companies without thoroughly investigating them and considering how they fit in with the overall picture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have interned with them for half a year and I am impressed everyday by my communities professionalism.

InfoSec Analyst (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsMature co-workers
    Casual and friendly environment
    They treat there employees very well
    We have monthly events to engage the community
    Everyone is a team player at eBay

ConsI would not provide any cons to this survey because I really cannot find anything. Since I have been working at eBay, I have been excited and engaged with work and our team goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

It was great experience initially , after 2years of spending at Ebay it become really bad

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros-Work environment good
    -Pier are good

Cons-Very unorganized work culture
    -Very bad HR

Great place to work

Graduate Intern (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood people, good working environment. all are helpful

ConsI did not see any cons here.

A great place to work!!

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsOpen culture. Open to new ideas and motivation to innovate things

ConsNeed to contribute to open source.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnologies are very much close door. Having done great things, would open up to the community

Overall good place to work, lots of long timers, relatively low turnover, good friendly people

Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsOpen and collaborative environment
    Currently growing by riding the mobile wave
    Encouraged to innovate and take one's own initiative
    Good work life balance - very few people working the weekends

ConsAs with any corporation - politics.
    Managers who shouldn't be managers, but once there no one removes them, but rather tries to grow them at the expense of direct reports
    Maybe not a con, but lots of reorgs to increase innovation and shake things up. You won't have the same manager for more than year (maybe a good thing)
    For an established company it appears that Sr. Mgmt still can't find the right compass heading

Amazing, fun and fulfillment

Graduate Intern (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat culture, flexible work hours and work is always good.
    My team was very welcoming and my Mentor helped me a lot and cleared lot of my basic questions during the on-boarding process. I was like a blunt knife when i started but I am quite deft with the web tech i was working with, all thanks to ebay.

ConsThe manager liked my work but since he didn't have an opening on his team I couldn't get return fulltime offer!

Great Company!

Senior Director (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsAwesome Founder and great CEO

ConsBecame extremely corporate and full of politics

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!