eBay Inc.

eBay Inc. Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance(in 99 reviews)

• Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer(in 65 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes(in 40 reviews)

545 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place when you start, not so great when you have been there a long time. They don't value employee loyalty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThere are wonderful people to work with around the company. The sabbatical program is of course a plus (after having worked there 5 years). I found a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned a lot during my time there.

ConsAfter a number of promotions and over 10 years of working there, I barely got a pat on the back when I left. I went in and felt like a contributor that mattered for a number of years and left feeling like a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people managers. There are a lot of smart people out there, but you're suffering in the morale and productivity departments because of the lack of true mentors at the company. Don't throw new programs at the problem (I know there's a mentoring program.). You need to hire people that actually inspire others. And please start showing those that have stuck with the company through good and bad some appreciation, instead of operating a culture that makes that loyalty feel like a negative.

Software Engineer 2, Quality

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLot of domains and fast paced learning. Active environment to work for. Good facilities.

ConsCareer development opportunities are less.
    No Scope to learn great technologies.
    Lot of re-orgs.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWell defined Structure. Lot of opportunities to learn and grow. Overall a great place to work!

ConsTechnical support/team is outsourced to IBM. It is highly disorganized, unprofessional and also not technically competent. management takes all possible initiatives, but still unsuccessful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control of your Vendors and ensure they deliver what they promise!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very great experience; I learned a lot

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIntern housing was given (free), team was extremely helpful and fun to work with

ConsNo free food, slow progress when trying to get changes approved (as always with the corporate world)

Great place, but culture is changing

Attorney (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFriendly, open people, and always something challenging going on.

ConsCulture is changing...more hierarchical than ever. Not culturally diverse as other Bay Area tech companies. Also, career growth limited - not much room to move up.

Fast paced company

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsYou will get lot of experience in less time.

ConsWork life balance is compromised

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to care about work life balance

Nice place to work. Bad place to innovate.

Data Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt's a really nice place to work in that the hours are reasonable, the environment is pleasant, the work opportunities are varied and interesting, the people are mostly friendly, the cafeteria is decent. There's plenty of money to do what needs to be done and at least while I was there it is thriving.

ConsThe company is crippled by a cash cow that brings in money no matter what you so, so it doesn't matter what you do. There is no reward for innovation and no penalty for mediocrity. The environment is highly political. If you want to rise in responsibility, you need to be good at that game. If you just want to do your job (and do what you are told), it's a very simple and easy place to be. If you want to be bold, innovative and effective, I would go elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone with fancy credentials is as smart as they think they are. Not everyone without credentials is as ignorant as you think they are.

Mediocre company with good people

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of different kinds of work to do. Good first experience.

ConsPoor senior leadership. No alignment. Review process is political and unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who report to you will leave because of the failed structure you set up. If you really believe in retention, change it.

Great place to work

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat customer impact. Great management, team work is well appreciated and a good place to develop people and technical skills.

Sometimes you reach career flats where you want to consider moving around, but depending on manager, its relatively easy to change teams. Lots of opportunities within eBay and Paypal.

Relatively new tech stack completely based on open source standards.

ConsDepending on your area, a lot of domains will end up with similar work.

Massive legacy code base and redundant functionality on site.

Very dynamic and fast paced environment

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery very smart people and they do real work.They are paid well and are expected to take responsibility. Work hard, play hard atmosphere.

Conspeople are very busy to give you time

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!