eCollege.com Reviews

Matthew Leavy

Interesting Work, Some Issues

Current Employee - Software Architect in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Centennial, CO

I have been working at eCollege.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life balance can't be beat. I work for really smart and interesting people. I get to tackle tough problems with modern technologies. Benefits are great, and the office space is in a great place.

Cons

Raises are a joke. Still fighting with the old publishing company mindset. Hard to hire good people and/or keep them, and definitely various ranges of talent and accountability throughout the company. Also way too many contractors.

Pay to keep your top talent. Hire better, attract top talent! We do interesting work here, but you'd never know it! We should be a premiere employer in the Denver area...

Low Pay, Great Experience

Former Employee - Course Content Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Course Content Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at eCollege.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment on the cutting edge of technology

Cons

low pay, lots of ladder climbers, grew too fast

listen to your employees, not just the ones who kiss ass

eCollege is a mess, hostile work environment that abuses their contractors and employees under the guise of productivity

Former Employee - PM/Scrum Master in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - PM/Scrum Master in Centennial, CO

I worked at eCollege.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The location is excellent, the workspace is nice.

Cons

From the day I walked in the door until the day I walked out I experienced and watched as I and others were subjected to humiliation, hostility and abuse by a handfull of toxic people. Their treatment of me and other employees was horrible and within the first couple of days I was approached by countless people that told me how bad it was there. I worked very hard in support of my managers, director,VPs and CTOs vision but at the end of the day the tenured employees are not interested in change. They just want to complain and talk about how bad things are and how bad Pearson is. There are so many excellent people and products there it is just a shame. All the comments about work/life balance and perks are reserved for the 20% of employees but the 80% of contracted employees are pushed to the limit. Lastly, they brag about their use of Agile but in actuality they only go through the motions and their greatest asset of Agile has been pushed to the way side,demeaned and silenced and they run on energy of fear. Everyone in the industry knows how bad things are there but little is being done to change it. They chew up PMs and contractors and spit them out.

Find the source of negativity and get rid of it. There is so much fear, paranoia and stress which is why people are leaving and good people getting RIFd while the handfull of bad people stay. The economy is getting better and in Denver especially there are more jobs to be had. Keep treating people badly and you will find yourself with no employees.

A tech company resting on a pile of junky code.

Former Employee - Developer (Code Monkey)
    Former Employee - Developer (Code Monkey)

I worked at eCollege.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture - young, energetic, nice managers

Cons

Organizational mess, technical mess. Much of the code written for LearningStudio was done in the early 2000's. Nothing has been done to modernize the systems. Their new google-powered product is also a steam pile of iframed, poorly-javascripted junk.

Also, knowledge of the company and it's processes and systems is rewarded more than technical knowledge and development skill.

CONTRACTORS BEWARE - YOU"LL BE BORED OUT OF YOUR GOURD!!

Clean up the mess by simplifying the systems, both people and code-based.

absolute waste of time, 20 cent raises every year???

Current Employee - Slave in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Slave in Centennial, CO

I have been working at eCollege.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co workers, and honestly there is not much else that i would say is good about this shady company.

Cons

horrible management, zero communication, the pay is a JOKE!

Allow people that have worked their way up lead the new employees. Dont hire some bimbo from outside that hasnt done jack in the company.

Very little of "eCollege" is left under Pearson

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at eCollege.com full-time

Pros

Still a lot of great people in places who are a joy to work with. Excellent benefits. Financial stability. eCollege is very much a prime growth area for Pearson, so out of 40K+ employees worldwide, this branch gets a good amount of funding and attention. The work you are doing is enabling millions of students to learn effectively.

Cons

Heavily integrated with a division in Boston. The Boston division's culture has caused tremendous damage to the environment in Denver. The focus is much less on "how do we get things done" than on "what is my story?" and "how do I spin this so that I look good?". Also a dramatic gap between the expectations and goals of the business, and the resources being allocated to make those happen.

Have some political courage and be honest about the resources and commitments you need to make to get to where you want to be. If you're going to state that you want to be like Google and Facebook, you need to pony up the resources to make it happen, not just try and somehow make it happen with an outdated technical and organizational architecture.

Daily frustrations due to lack of organization and company is not customer-centric.

I have been working at eCollege.com

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Company also offers a lot in the way of professional development. T&E budget is generous.

Cons

Definitely does not pay enough compared to other companies in the same industry. Very difficult to be promoted, even if you are exceeding expectations. Company could definitely use more organization and formality. Too large of a company to run without organization and structure in all departments.

Promote your employees. Also, listen to your clients feedback instead of constantly dropping the ball.

Everyone's trying, but you're still working in a corporation.

I have been working at eCollege.com

Pros

For a big company that's part of a multi-national conglomerate, the Centennial branch of Pearson is not a bad place to be, especially if your inclined technically and/or educationally and/or have an understanding of publishing and media.

Cons

You're working in a company of many hundreds - lax performance, mediocrity, and grindstone mentality are hiding in some corner of each department.

Information sharing and alignment issues continue year after year.
    Dynamic visionary brought in much needed honesty and strategy, but after initial inspiration might be in diva mode, diving down into operations and tactics.
    Sales people trying to act as consultants.

HR banding may not be equal to your title or job duties.

Career progression recommendation: Find / create alliances outside your dept / within greater Pearson.

Do you have vision, or are you still chasing multiple carrots? Press Release a product roadmap / commit to real functional improvements.

Progressive Company with Security and Growth Opportunities, but One Hand Doesn't Know What the Others Are Doing

Current Employee - Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at eCollege.com

Pros

- Progressive "Green" Company, well reflected in management policies and perks
    - In most departments employees are treated very well
    - Many opportunities to grow professionally and move around within eCollege and the greater Pearson
    - Strong benefits, perks, bonuses, etc
    - Employee ideas and innovations are taken seriously by management and can contribute to making big improvements in policies and workflows
    - Nice office facilities and location (Southglenn Mall)
    - Most developers hired are very intelligent and knowledgeable
    - Stable, growing company, low turnover

Cons

- Pay/Salary for some groups is at the bottom or beneath industry standards
    - There seems to be an anecdotal consensus among most employees that "one hand doesn't know what the others are doing". This leads to a plethora of "unecessary" situations, and a subtle air of cynicism and resignation.
    - Integrity issues can be frustrating: There is a disconnect between promises made by sales and management to clients, and development teams not having the empowerment or resources to create or deliver whats been promised
    - Poor communication: The company is growing quickly in size, and communication breakdowns are happening more frequently, some teams and departments have notoriously terrible communication, are dishonest and will attempt to throw other groups under the bus to cover their own incompetence
    - "Old School" company elements: It can be frustrating to have to work with certain elements of the company that are still very much "old school" in their understanding of technology but who still have considerable power and influence

-Don't be so quick to look outside the company for the most modern web tech wisdom - you've got a lot of obvious talent right under your nose that you're neglecting.
    -Do something about this "one hand doesnt know what the others are doing" situation, because the larger the company grows the worse it will get. You need to step back and take an organizational systems perspective on the situation of poor inter-departmental meshing, and then apply known solutions to organizational change. You don't need to ignore the problem and you don't need to reinvent the wheel either.

Promising things that it cannot fully deliver

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at eCollege.com

Pros

eCollege has relatively good benefits and some extremely talented people. The company is growing and is backed by a international company (pearson), which can give the company some security.

Cons

eCollege is growing into a monster filled with reactive managers, demoralized employees, departments blaming each other for mistakes and poor communication. There once was a sense of collaboration and community, but that has been replaced with an "everyone for themselves" mentality and favoritism. Certain departments will promise our clients things that we cannot fully deliver and that throw other departments under the bus.

Restore communication between departments, its becoming too fragmented. To many ideas are implemented but never fully tested before the idea is scraped. Learn to say no and express our limits to a client. We give too much control to our clients and don't know when to stop showering them with promises. The clients are running the show more then they should be, they have become our masters rather than our partners.