eHarmony

Updated October 28, 2014
4.4

eHarmony Founder & CEO Neil Clark Warren
Neil Clark Warren

Pros
  • Outsiders have also told me my work/life balance is enviable (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of free food and snacks, most people are nice (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • By the time I quit, a lot of people were leaving due to poor management (in 4 reviews)

• Depending on the living cost in Santa Monica, I thought the salary is quite so so (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great times are back at eHarmony!

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The management and leadership are firing on all cylinders. After years of decline, the company is back with effective marketing, products and innovative matchmaking. The culture is intelligent and friendly with many company events and meaningful benefits. Nice to have a team that is making decisions effectively and not scared to take risks. The results speak for themselves.

Cons

The Santa Monica office location is very difficult to get to for many employees, we are looking forward to moving to Westwood to reduce everyone's commute. Keep providing more communication on the new verticals.

Keep paying well and providing solid benefits. Thanks for creating a culture of sharing. Nice to see all those successful couples around the office and a stable company.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President Finance in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Finance in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Solid Management team, execs are all aligned on overall objectives & strategy
    * Extremely talented employees at all levels that are dedicated to the company's mission and value proposition
    * Friendly and collaborative culture, one of the best I've seen in my career.
    * Company is on an upward momentum, strong core business, with exciting opportunities for new verticals
    * Perks: Free lunch Wednesday, free vending machines, great office location, discounted gym membership

Cons

* Yet to find one

Continue to do what you are doing, and keep on executing. The future is bright and limitless for this company.

Really good place to learn!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

eHarmony has many talented and nice employees, and provide many wonderful opportunities for employees to make progress!

Cons

Depending on the living cost in Santa Monica, I thought the salary is quite so so.

Welcoming, forward thinking, and focus on fostering happy, motivated employees.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dedicated co-workers, healthy and collaborative atmosphere, great benefits, free food and fun company outings. Was immediately struck by the effective communication between team members as well as the positive atmosphere. It is great working someplace where people are optimistic about the company and product.

Cons

While communication within specific teams is fast and effective, communication between teams needs improving.

Yikes!

I have been working at eHarmony full-time

Pros

Most of the company's hires are very bright and hold lots of potential, and eHarmony pays decently in regards to the competition (although that's it - don't expect a raise afterwards). It also has all of the "fun tech things" that most Silicon Beach companies have adopted.

Cons

Despite what these fake reviews are saying (yes, someone in HR has let it slip that these are fakes), there is minimal career growth at this company. Employees are leaving in droves from every department and all ends with great reason: unless you're at the very top, no one gets actually recognized for their efforts (plus very poor management). Heck, even upper management is getting out of there.

Also, if you're someone who likes innovation and bright ideas, this is not the company for you. The company is very much into preaching and very little into actually doing.

Oct 3, 2014Chief Operating Officer

I can appreciate your perspective. Of course, we all have different lenses through which we see things, and from my experiences here I actually have witnessed more innovation from our teams than ... More

Stability, Growth Potential, Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, very relaxed office, free snacks and drinks in every corner, bikes to ride around Santa Monica, decent benefits, quarterly outings and team building, good perks, free lunch Wednesdays, free dodger tickets, thirsty Thursdays, awesome management, hard work is recognized, gym downstairs is subsidized.

Cons

Office space is not set up for easy collaboration with other teams. However, with the new office location coming up next year, hopefully, we can plan for a more open space type of set up.

n/a

Oct 3, 2014Chief Operating Officer

Thank you so much for your feedback. We always want everyone who works here to feel acknowledged, appreciated, and to maintain a healthy work-life balance. I am personally excited about the ... More

Great People and Company Growth

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One thing I've noticed on our team is that eHarmony takes the time to hire the right people. Since it's a highly collaborative environment with even our VPs sitting out on the floor with us, it's important to find people who fit our team and company culture. That's primarily the reason why I love coming into work everyday.

The brand is expanding into different avenues, which is exciting. It shows we're growing and being creative, going beyond what eHarmony has been known for-- online dating and classic couple commercials. The design, image and marketing of eHarmony has been completely renovated within the last couple of years. The website and all social media platforms are fun and easy to view and use. The company itself has experienced a complete turnaround from prior years. The management team is probably the best I've seen within my experience working in corporate. We have biweekly meetings open to all employees that update everyone on what every department is working on. We're always on the same page in that way. The open door policy helps too. This is a big brand company that has managed to keep a family feel.

Work-life balance is great, they have all kinds of events that encourage us to invite our family. They have nice perks too. I haven't used their bikes to go to the beach yet but it's on my to-do list for lunch hour someday.

Cons

HMO Insurance is covered by company. If you want PPO though, the employee contribution rates are pretty high compared to my previous employers.

Oct 3, 2014Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for acknowledging our recruiting department, as I know they really work hard to find people who will be a great fit for our company. An open door policy is something I strongly believe in ... More

It was okay

I worked at eHarmony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Great talents. Very fun product. Always a conversation starter with new (and sometimes old) friends. And they had a free shuttle for people who lived near Pasadena, CA (office is in Santa Monica)

Cons

Not easy to introduce new ideas and innovation to their way of doing things. Many of their teams (Tech, Product, Risk and Marketing) went through a lot of recent changes and turnovers. By the time I quit, a lot of people were leaving due to poor management.

Commonsense. Flexibility. Encourage a trust based work environment. Give your talents the tools and freedom to excel in their roles instead of imposing limitations and micromanaging them.

The company makes sure we find balance between work and personal life.

Current Employee - Trust & Safety Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Trust & Safety Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are very good. The company also promotes a green environment so that we reduce our print in the environment.

Cons

Depending on the department you work, you don't get to enjoy the holidays as much as other departments. Work can be a little overwhelming which can be disheartening.

There should be constant training regarding certain trends of online dating. Invest in more activities that promote interaction between different departments.

Pleasant place to work but unproductive

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at eHarmony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy, fat corporate structure, office, training, good work/life balance

Cons

no upward mobility, lack of innovation

Oct 23, 2014Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your comments. We definitely want everyone working here to have a good work / life balance – so I definitely agree with you on that point. I do feel, though, that eHarmony is taking on ... More