eHarmony

Updated January 15, 2015
4.5

eHarmony Founder & CEO Neil Clark Warren
Neil Clark Warren

Pros
  • Outsiders have also told me my work/life balance is enviable (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of free food and snacks, most people are nice (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • By the time I quit, a lot of people were leaving due to poor management (in 4 reviews)

• Depending on the living cost in Santa Monica, I thought the salary is quite so so (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Stability, Growth Potential, Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, very relaxed office, free snacks and drinks in every corner, bikes to ride around Santa Monica, decent benefits, quarterly outings and team building, good perks, free lunch Wednesdays, free dodger tickets, thirsty Thursdays, awesome management, hard work is recognized, gym downstairs is subsidized.

Cons

Office space is not set up for easy collaboration with other teams. However, with the new office location coming up next year, hopefully, we can plan for a more open space type of set up.

n/a

Oct 3, 2014Chief Operating Officer

Thank you so much for your feedback. We always want everyone who works here to feel acknowledged, appreciated, and to maintain a healthy work-life balance. I am personally excited about the ... More

Great People and Company Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One thing I've noticed on our team is that eHarmony takes the time to hire the right people. Since it's a highly collaborative environment with even our VPs sitting out on the floor with us, it's important to find people who fit our team and company culture. That's primarily the reason why I love coming into work everyday.

The brand is expanding into different avenues, which is exciting. It shows we're growing and being creative, going beyond what eHarmony has been known for-- online dating and classic couple commercials. The design, image and marketing of eHarmony has been completely renovated within the last couple of years. The website and all social media platforms are fun and easy to view and use. The company itself has experienced a complete turnaround from prior years. The management team is probably the best I've seen within my experience working in corporate. We have biweekly meetings open to all employees that update everyone on what every department is working on. We're always on the same page in that way. The open door policy helps too. This is a big brand company that has managed to keep a family feel.

Work-life balance is great, they have all kinds of events that encourage us to invite our family. They have nice perks too. I haven't used their bikes to go to the beach yet but it's on my to-do list for lunch hour someday.

Cons

HMO Insurance is covered by company. If you want PPO though, the employee contribution rates are pretty high compared to my previous employers.

Oct 3, 2014Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for acknowledging our recruiting department, as I know they really work hard to find people who will be a great fit for our company. An open door policy is something I strongly believe in ... More

It was okay

I worked at eHarmony full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Great talents. Very fun product. Always a conversation starter with new (and sometimes old) friends. And they had a free shuttle for people who lived near Pasadena, CA (office is in Santa Monica)

Cons

Not easy to introduce new ideas and innovation to their way of doing things. Many of their teams (Tech, Product, Risk and Marketing) went through a lot of recent changes and turnovers. By the time I quit, a lot of people were leaving due to poor management.

Commonsense. Flexibility. Encourage a trust based work environment. Give your talents the tools and freedom to excel in their roles instead of imposing limitations and micromanaging them.

The company makes sure we find balance between work and personal life.

Current Employee - Trust & Safety Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Trust & Safety Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are very good. The company also promotes a green environment so that we reduce our print in the environment.

Cons

Depending on the department you work, you don't get to enjoy the holidays as much as other departments. Work can be a little overwhelming which can be disheartening.

There should be constant training regarding certain trends of online dating. Invest in more activities that promote interaction between different departments.

Jan 7, 2015Chief Operating Officer

Thank you, I appreciate your perspective. Things can always be improved in certain areas, so I encourage you to always share any ideas about how to improve work-life balance. We will be thinking ... More

Pleasant place to work but unproductive

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at eHarmony full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy, fat corporate structure, office, training, good work/life balance

Cons

no upward mobility, lack of innovation

Oct 23, 2014Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your comments. We definitely want everyone working here to have a good work / life balance – so I definitely agree with you on that point. I do feel, though, that eHarmony is taking on ... More

A good company to work for

I have been working at eHarmony full-time

Pros

The company's mission, the work environment, the work staff,

Cons

The location is in the middle of one of the most congested areas in Los Angeles, which makes the commute, even for those who live close, long and arduous

Jan 7, 2015Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your comments. I agree that one of the biggest benefits to working here is getting to be a part of eHarmony’s mission, and also agree the drive can be tough! Come July, we are moving ... More

Good job, but bad timing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at eHarmony full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great overall atmosphere. My bosses were friendly, available, and supportive. Everyone worked hard, but the environment was very positive

Cons

I didn't see a lot of opportunity for personal advancement. I was there before a big layoff. (Was laid off.) The management is currently completely different from my tenure.

Tries to be something it's not

I worked at eHarmony full-time

Pros

For the most part, I loved the people I worked with. Everyone was very laid back and fairly easy to collaborate with.

Cons

VERY high school in that some groups are able to run meetings, disrupt projects, etc as though they're the "boss". Very annoying. Big egos for, in comparison to real tech companies, not a lot of talent. Additionally, and this could be a symptom of bad management in my group only, there was no room for advancement. If the manager didn't advance, they wouldn't advocate for you to advance. Though it may have changed, I think the engineering team was not given enough credit, considering they were running very lean with little to no support from senior management.

Just because you have free pizza on Fridays, doesn't make you a tech company.

Oct 23, 2014Chief Operating Officer

I appreciate the thoughtful feedback. In this process of turning the company around, we went through some turbulent times from the past, but we have really eliminated any unwanted behaviors or ... More

Fun company to work for with good work/life balance

I have been working at eHarmony full-time

Pros

Lots of fun & talented people to work with, great culture, company outings, happy hours, masseuse on site, free lunches every Wednesday, flexible hours, free health insurance, 401k match

Cons

Salary on the low end of average for my field and experience. Lots of favorites around the office.

Most management is great, but some could be a little friendlier, especially if you report to them.

Great Place to work.

I worked at eHarmony

Pros

Work hard/Play hard. Incentives, free lunch.

Cons

Hard to advance to better position