eMarketer

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
3.3

Terry Chabrowe

Great organization and strong business plan

I worked at eMarketer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really enjoyed my time with the organization. The CEO takes the time to meet with each individual person to discuss how they view the company and whether any changes should be discussed. They brought in an excellent sales leader to handle the new business side of things as well as invested a lot of time and effort into marketing and lead gen.

Cons

While discussions about changes to product and structure are discussed at length, decisions are less frequent.

A good place to work.

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pluses: friendly, intelligent, and motivated colleagues. People at eMarketer have a passion for their work and are often encouraged to pursue creative solutions. This drives a positive, entrepreneurial culture in the office.

Cons

On the downside of the freedom and entrepreneurial culture - it can at times feel like different departments, or individuals within departments are all pulling in different directions. Lack of leadership / politics often determine directives.

Be more transparent and make leadership a priority.

It has been a positive experience, professional and mostly collaborative culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very entrepreneurial, allows work-from-home arrangements and pays for health insurance. It is a forward-thinking, innovative company. There is no set vacation policy--the company allows you to take as much time off as you wish.

Cons

Movement up is challenging. There is a small cadre of decisionmakers and influencers that doesn't want to let anyone else contribute creative ideas. Management gives lip service to wanting new ideas but it's only from a select few.

Tap into existing employees' hidden talents--uncover them, listen to them, instead of always relying on a select few. Don't always bias toward younger employees.

Toxic work environment: favoritism is rampant, no HR, poor leadership (still)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited time-off policy, beautiful new office, intelligent co-workers and a highly respected brand. Compensation is competitive and medical benefits are 100% company paid (very high deductible):

Cons

The favoritism that exists at eMarketer is a real problem. VPs and Directors that have been promoted over the years are not experienced to manage, nor mentor their teams. Cliquey. Lack of diversity in terms of employees. The subscription sales & account management teams are in constant churn. No HR point person. No matching 401K. No Bonuses.

Hire a new President and CEO. Bust up bureaucracy. Help monetize new ideas.

Senior management confusion

I worked at eMarketer full-time

Pros

Laid back work environment
    Great benefits

Cons

Unclear path to professional growth

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Leading company in its industry.
    - Transparency within the plans for the business.
    - Flexibility, casual ambient.
    - Great people!
    - Opportunities for personal growth, multiple resources for learning and training.

Cons

It's hard to think a con for eMarketer. I'd say a few Sales people are really unhappy there and that affect work sometimes.

Keep an eye on teams' moral. Be aware of 'unhappy' people.

Strong management team, great business and worklife.

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The management team is very strong, and improving. They make tough decisions for the greater good of the business, and are working to improve the company and transform it from a successful midsize company to a successful large company.

There are great people working here.

Cons

The pace of change is fast, and employees must be ready for it.

Avoid...

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back dress policy, most colleagues are helpful.

Cons

High churn in sales department, high favoritism, middle management is generally ill equipped, long sales cycles, lots of dissension amongst the ranks.

Build a sales infrastructure that supports sales reps. Simply hiring sales reps is not a growth strategy, they need leads, support, and achievable quotas. Also, realize that we are post 2008, so marketing and expectations should evolve accordingly.

Account Management Disappointment

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at eMarketer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a strong core of smart and innovative people here. I have close friends from my time at eMarketer. The product is decent and always improving, and clients generally like the data provided. Well-respected brand.

Cons

The senior managers in the Account Management team are some of the worst I've ever worked with (aside from the President and current CEO). It's clear they have never managed people before and have had little/no training. They put no trust in their people, and if you aren't one of their favorites, you'll dread coming to the office. They are fixed in their own ways; if you have suggestions or disagree with their plans, it usually doesn't matter. The micromanagement is insane regardless of your skills, past experience or sometimes even your current sales numbers - your emails will be read and rewritten before sending to the client. They also promise growth opportunities and career development, but there really aren't any long-term goals/opportunities. My managers never once asked me what my goals were or what I might be interested in outside of Account Management. There is also no real HR department, so there is no impartial party to discuss your frustrations or give/receive constructive feedback. When I left, the morale in the office was dismal and most people were very frustrated and unhappy. It was very much an "us vs. them" mentality and I felt like I couldn't get out of there fast enough. A shame since I enjoyed working with my clients as well as working with most of the people there.

Bring in a real HR generalist/team. Overhaul the account management team entirely - especially the managers. Some people are great at selling and terrible at management. Bring in leaders not bosses. Empower the team!

Glad I left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at eMarketer full-time

Pros

Best thing over my time at eMarketer was always the people who worked there. A lot of good people came through this place. Good product but maybe not worth what management thinks its worth.

Cons

Management plays the favorites game and if they don't like you then you'll be out soon. Turnover is big here.

They need new management as I think the current management lacks leadership and they have no new ideas.