eMeter

Add Photos

eMeter President Lisa Caswell

Lisa Caswell

good work culture

Prosgood work culture with good technologies to work on.

Consdomain is slow to grow

Spinning plates and watching your back

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsOwned by Siemens. Some well respected industry leaders (Larsh J and Chris King).

ConsInability to deliver product due to lack of foresight into development constraint and making unrealistic promises to customers.

Senior executives ( excluding co founders) who are out for themselves only, and have no commitment to stay in the space or leadership drive for developing employees' careers. This includes the current President, the former CEO, most anyone with a VP title.

A culture if it can be called that of intrigue, favoritism, back stabbing, and every man for himself.

MDM is not a platform with any huge growth prospects.

Very high turnover in the engineering and development arena.

Lack of product management expertise in Utility processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementShuffle the legacy EMeter executive and sales team, and focus on product development and smart grid business processes consulting.

Managed Chaos

Services Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsGood industry, highly technical, environmentally positive products

ConsRarely intellectually stimulating, lacking in community

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter integration with customers and Siemens

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hectic, but for a good cause

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe industry is a little peculiar - heavily regulated utilities that move pretty slow - but reducing global electric/gas/water consumption is a great cause and it's global in scope. The past year has been a good transition to a more focused development roadmap, allowing us to hit our objectives.

ConsTeam is overloaded with work and has been on overdrive for too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a more realistic resource analysis

eMeter, and the Smart Grid: Now firing on all cylinders!!!

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe market is finally heating up for Smart Grid (rather than the mere talk by the government and analysts we've had to endure for years). The execs at eMeter represent a crazy amount of experience/wisdom with respect to the energy industry. The Board has rounded out that experience with the talents of some Engineering, Product, Sales and Marketing sharp-shooters, and I *really* feel we're poised for serious growth.

Cons2009 was a year of transition for eMeter (and for the Smart Grid, in general). If you've been in the Valley long enough, you've experienced the 'Year of Puberty' each young company must face: the somewhat challenging transition from a small group of heroes to a larger organization with more predictability. We're on the tail end of that transition.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the spirit of the 'start-up' while making the necessary organizational improvements.

Emeter a start up with start up expectations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWorking with new technology, knowing what you do contributes to less energy being used and therefore is helping the environment

ConsNo raises, bonuses for any overtime or hard work done. I felt that the development team lived in the office at one point.

I wore multiple hats when I worked here. Even when I found ways to save money for the company I was never given a raise or title change to reflect new responsiblities I willing accepted. Everyone was salaried when I worked there and overtime was required and expected without comp time. This is typically of start-ups where as an employee you agree to no longer have a life outside of work.

Management was similar to a teenage clique. By far the worst management I have had in my 20 + years as an employee. The managers had no problem gossiping about people in the office when they were not there to defend themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry engaging with your employees. Reward them when they do a job well done and help them do the job better when they don't preform well. Being in the office is part of a manager's job. Try being in the office 5 days a week like your employees do.

tread with care

Prefer Not to State (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Prospromising technology and decent pay for a start-up.

Consoverwork. dishonest accounting. gossip and back-biting. also, while I was there, I personally witnessed a manager lie to get rid of a new employee simply because the manager (who was otherwise very capable) felt threatened by the employee's ability. therefore I would not recommend working for e-Meter if you are extremely talented, unless you are adept at office politics and have good friends higher up in the company who can protect you from this type of abuse.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to everyone, not just your back-scratchers. make sure that everyone is treated fairly and rewarded accordingly.

Local management has destroyed the culture of the company for their personal interests

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood Salary
    Good Employees
    One of the few companies in Delhi region that work in MDM and smart grid.

ConsCore employees are highly unsatisfied.
    Local Management is highly biased towards his friends and referrals.
    Don't have enough work for us and most of the employees are getting bore.
    Performance evaluation is based on your relation with manager not based on your achievements.
    Management behavior is very rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need some good leaders who can create a good culture in company.
    Treat all employees equally else we will loose good employees very soon.

Incapable and highly dishonest and biased local management at office

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Noida (India)

ProsRecently Siemens has acquired the company so it's policies may have some positive impact.

ConsPoor local management, the management is highly biased towards their men. The local management unnecessarily politicized any matter for their own personal interest.Technical/Project manager are not open to adopt/listen innovative ideas.People are not good, poor culture, most of the manager do not know product information.Managers are not interested in team building activities and information sharing.

Advice to Senior Managementfire the all local managers and Treat all employees equally, give all employee equal rights.

Unique Management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Noida (India)

ProsNo work (for those who don't want to work), you can complete your daily work in just 2 hrs.

ConsPoor management, the management is highly biased. People are not good, poor culture, nobody is interested in sharing product information. Technical/Project manager are not technically sound and are not open to adopt/listen new ideas. Managers get special attention and HR get super attention. Tea and snacks are served into their rooms. No team building activities, never seen any thoughtful programs in the company on festivals.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees equally, give all employee equal rights.

Worked for eMeter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eMeter reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for eMeter CEO Lisa Caswell. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by eMeter employees.