eVestment

eVestment Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

eVestment CEO, Co-Founder & Principal Jim Minnick

Jim Minnick

Senior leaders are accessible and transparent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPassionate people are everywhere. You don't see those people who are just there for the paycheck. People actually care about doing a good job and the company actually cares about them.

The senior leadership are very involved with the business and with the people. They don't consider themselves superior or better than anyone else. They welcome input and ideas - in fact they kind of require innovative thinking (one of the core values). There is lots of excitement from being able to recommend an idea or a concept and then seeing that recommendation come true.

The company tries to be sure people have fun together, and employees are encouraged to make physical health a priority.

With the growth the company is experiencing, people have opportunities to show their capacity for being a leader. Employees who can master their job and go above and beyond, and who have leadership ability, can definitely find a career path here. The company doesn't lay it out for you, though. You have to take the initiative.

ConsThe fast growth is challenging for some people; learning a lot of new faces all at once can be overwhelming, and it also means a chunk of people are all in a learning curve. It's also really crowded right now because of space availability (this is being worked on though and it won't be a permanent problem).

Advice to Senior ManagementReinstate the executive mentorship program and allow people to apply to be mentored by a specific executive.

Great people, great benefits

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

Pros* Great compensation packages: Competitive salary, biannual bonuses, opportunities for profit sharing and stock options, company lunch every Wednesday, and generous referral bonuses.

* Unlimited PTO & work from home.

* Education stipend and encouragement/opportunities to use it.

* Very health-conscious company. We have had lunch & learns with speakers who were dietitians, personal trainers, etc. Biannual company-wide fitness challenges with awesome prizes. Company-sponsored gym membership.

Cons* As a dev, learning ExtJS isn't even remotely as valuable in terms of career advancement as learning almost any other JS framework, so some of us do a lot of independent study/work to stay current with frameworks that are actually in demand.

* The subject matter can be rather dry.

* Sizable technical debt in the form of classic ASP pages and VB .NET code.

* Relatively flat organization. This could be a pro as well, but I'm listing it as a con since most people are concerned with advancing their career with the goal of having underlings. There is practically no chance of being promoted to a role with direct reports (at least on the technology team).

Advice to Senior ManagementDear CTO: Value your employees' opinions a little more. Most of us objected like crazy when you forced ExtJS down our throats, and now you're having trouble hiring qualified developers. We saw this coming... Listen to us.

Very exciting time to be here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company is growing very quickly. There are a lot of exciting plans for the company's future, and the push to be innovative seems to be driving the success. The executive founders are very accessible and interact with employees daily. Turnover is low and everyone is really looking forward to the next few years.

ConsSome of the rapid growth does mean that there are new faces to learn. When the company was much smaller, it was easy to know everyone on a first name basis. Now we work at it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being available and transparent. Keep demanding the high levels of accountability.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Culture, Great Company to work for

Analyst (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

Pros-Flexible work schedule
    -Casual dress
    -Great work to life balance

Cons-Career advancement is not always clearly defined

Do your homework before taking a job

Technical Support (Former Employee) Reno, NV

Prosstocked kitchens, gym membership, casual attire, standard insurance

ConsIf you are the type of person who likes to be told what to do and how to do it, this is the place for you. I know some developers who fall into this camp and there is nothing wrong with that. If you think that you have good ideas and would like to contribute to the company at a higher level, you will be very frustrated. In eVestment the orders come from the top and the plan is set in motion before anyone can contribute to the discussion.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is a bottleneck founders are required for all decisions, lower management is not empowered to think. This leads to inactivity and bad results. Your business will not scale.

Strong company with some practice issues

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProseVestment is a nurturing environment in which the company takes good financial care of their employees. There are company activities, 401k matching and opportunities for self-development. The company is growing rapidly and cash flows seem stable. Many new products are in the works and show promise. Upper management has an interest in cornering their market and retaining clients.

I have no doubts the eVestment will continue to be a successful business despite some cons in their development processes.

ConsThe company may be expanding too rapidly, some employees seem entrenched in senior positions circumstantially because they happened to be around during periods of large growth.

Some of the development practices are hazardous and non-standard. Deployment and development policies open doors to errors and defects. eVestment believes they mitigate this by only hiring "senior" engineers, but a fair number of developers here are absolutely not "senior."

Timeframes and roadmaps for product development are often unrealistic and seem to be driven by sales-pitches.

Advice to Senior ManagementIndustry "best practices" aren't arbitrary rules, they are conclusions driven by community experience.
    Developing a product roadmap requires input from all levels of development to determine feasibility.

A one sided relationship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Lunch on Wednesdays
    Unlimited PTO

ConsNo room to grow
    The founders make even the smallest decisions
    More focused on the money the the technology

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more responsibility and accountability

No Transparency

Technical Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood perks - stocked kitchens, gym membership, casual attire, standard insurance

ConsTop management does not reveal or prepare employees for big moves. They actively try to misdirect employees to hide their intent and direction choices. Pretends to be a company invested in its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in the small company space, you won't be able to compete with the big boys.

Love it here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsWhile I've only been at eVestment for a short time I have loved it every second. When I first was hired in January we had just brought on the Reno office through an acquisition of Pertrac and there was a lot of work to be done in order to get Pertrac integrated.

Benefits premiums are relatively standard but we are given money each paycheck depending on what benefits we choose. The benefit coverage is better compared to the other coverage I've had in the past.

Dress code is casual (jeans and tshirts are acceptable). Lunch is provided each week and there is a fully stock pantry with healthier snacks and fruit available in addition to drinks and sodas. Beer Friday's is a frequent occasion. Very flexible work schedule and unlimited PTO because of the trust they have in their employees. Free gym membership for employees. Company is not afraid of technology upgrades.

$3,000 continuing education is provided for individual employees each year although it does have to be approved in advance. 80% is paid for up front and the other 20% is reimbursed based on grade or pass/fail (which is pretty typical). A budget for the entire department education is provided for either a certification requirement for individuals or full team learning.

ConsThe only con I have is that eVestment has grown so much that it can be hard to figure out who people are because there aren't any name tags or anything at the cubes

Advice to Senior ManagementI love how the senior management is so communicative with the employees. Every time they want to address the employees the emails are very well thought out and explanatory of what is being conveyed. When the unfortunate announcement came about the layoffs after the acquisition the management had a mandatory company meeting to explain what was going on and how employees were impacted.

The senior management is also very open to conversation with employees and is always greeting everyone they pass and asking how things are going. They do expect you to work hard and not take advantage of the casual atmosphere. As long as you do what is expected of you, you will be very successful

Incredible environment; culture of excellence prevails

ProsThe company operates with extremely high expectations and high levels of personal accountability. High performers are attracted to this environment because it's challenging and rewarding. The company puts out superior quality products that have won industry awards, and the company maintains unprecedented client retention because of the high demand for superior client service. Management is employee centric and education focused. After a 6 month waiting period, there is $3000 educational assistance tuition reimbursement available to every employee every year.

The camaraderie is great. People get along well; the company doesn't tolerate drama or petty behavior and it's a professional environment. Coworkers care about each other, and the company focuses heavily on regular company-paid team-building activities.

Free unlimited snacks and drinks, and weekly catered lunch is awesome. It's also a fully casual environment.

ConsHigh levels of accountability mean that mediocre or high maintenance employees do not often succeed. The company attempts to ensure up front that recruits are aligned with the company values and expectations and on occasion this alignment just doesn't happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. The legacy that the company is building is superior. The founders / principals / senior management built the company on the core company values that they themselves demonstrate, and those values are part of the entire company today.

Worked for eVestment? Contribute to the Community!