eVestment Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.8

eVestment CEO, Co-Founder & Principal Jim Minnick
Jim Minnick

great coworkers, fun perks, big plans for the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at eVestment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Coworkers have your back, and you have theirs. Real collaboration and team trust.
    -Perks are fun (team lunches, teambuilding activities, fun outings, fitness focus)
    -Management focuses on big plans, and solicits big ideas from the entire company

Cons

-It's getting crowded with the recent growth
    -People in multiple time zones across the world makes communication challenging

Keep holding people accountable and giving them risk-taking freedom.

Growing and loving it

Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at eVestment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's such an exciting time to be here. The company has gone from about 40 people to over 250 people in under 5 years, and the global footprint that is growing is really cool to see. Fun things are popping up too, like running clubs and gardening clubs and employee-led "Intro to (insert-hobby-here) seminars - fun stuff. It's competitive in a really good way, like the team based fitness challenge going on now. The company is doing really well - good bonuses, high client retention, lots of new products being developed.

Cons

Lots of autonomy and self-accountability means some people who may not be as good at self-managing will end up not working out, so it's not for everyone. But the company is okay with that and so am I. I would rather know that my coworkers share my work ethic. Pace is fast, volume can be high. Again, not for everyone.

More individual access to global events / involvement with international offices would be cool.

eVestment Opportunities

Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at eVestment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture with an upcoming financial software firm

Cons

the salary is not balanced to where you are located.

Great people, great benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Marietta, GA

I have been working at eVestment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Great compensation packages: Competitive salary, biannual bonuses, opportunities for profit sharing and stock options, company lunch every Wednesday, and generous referral bonuses.

* Unlimited PTO & work from home.

* Education stipend and encouragement/opportunities to use it.

* Very health-conscious company. We have had lunch & learns with speakers who were dietitians, personal trainers, etc. Biannual company-wide fitness challenges with awesome prizes. Company-sponsored gym membership.

Cons

* As a dev, learning ExtJS isn't even remotely as valuable in terms of career advancement as learning almost any other JS framework, so some of us do a lot of independent study/work to stay current with frameworks that are actually in demand.

* The subject matter can be rather dry.

* Sizable technical debt in the form of classic ASP pages and VB .NET code.

* Relatively flat organization. This could be a pro as well, but I'm listing it as a con since most people are concerned with advancing their career with the goal of having underlings. There is practically no chance of being promoted to a role with direct reports (at least on the technology team).

Dear CTO: Value your employees' opinions a little more. Most of us objected like crazy when you forced ExtJS down our throats, and now you're having trouble hiring qualified developers. We saw this coming... Listen to us.

Great Company Culture, Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Analyst in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Marietta, GA

I have been working at eVestment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible work schedule
    -Casual dress
    -Great work to life balance

Cons

-Career advancement is not always clearly defined

Do your homework before taking a job

Former Employee - Technical Support in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Reno, NV

I worked at eVestment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

stocked kitchens, gym membership, casual attire, standard insurance

Cons

If you are the type of person who likes to be told what to do and how to do it, this is the place for you. I know some developers who fall into this camp and there is nothing wrong with that. If you think that you have good ideas and would like to contribute to the company at a higher level, you will be very frustrated. In eVestment the orders come from the top and the plan is set in motion before anyone can contribute to the discussion.

Upper management is a bottleneck founders are required for all decisions, lower management is not empowered to think. This leads to inactivity and bad results. Your business will not scale.

Strong company with some practice issues

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at eVestment full-time

Pros

eVestment is a nurturing environment in which the company takes good financial care of their employees. There are company activities, 401k matching and opportunities for self-development. The company is growing rapidly and cash flows seem stable. Many new products are in the works and show promise. Upper management has an interest in cornering their market and retaining clients.

I have no doubts the eVestment will continue to be a successful business despite some cons in their development processes.

Cons

The company may be expanding too rapidly, some employees seem entrenched in senior positions circumstantially because they happened to be around during periods of large growth.

Some of the development practices are hazardous and non-standard. Deployment and development policies open doors to errors and defects. eVestment believes they mitigate this by only hiring "senior" engineers, but a fair number of developers here are absolutely not "senior."

Timeframes and roadmaps for product development are often unrealistic and seem to be driven by sales-pitches.

Industry "best practices" aren't arbitrary rules, they are conclusions driven by community experience.
    Developing a product roadmap requires input from all levels of development to determine feasibility.

A one sided relationship

I worked at eVestment

Pros

Free Lunch on Wednesdays
    Unlimited PTO

Cons

No room to grow
    The founders make even the smallest decisions
    More focused on the money the the technology

Give employees more responsibility and accountability

No Transparency

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at eVestment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good perks - stocked kitchens, gym membership, casual attire, standard insurance

Cons

Top management does not reveal or prepare employees for big moves. They actively try to misdirect employees to hide their intent and direction choices. Pretends to be a company invested in its employees.

Stay in the small company space, you won't be able to compete with the big boys.

Love it here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at eVestment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

While I've only been at eVestment for a short time I have loved it every second. When I first was hired in January we had just brought on the Reno office through an acquisition of Pertrac and there was a lot of work to be done in order to get Pertrac integrated.

Benefits premiums are relatively standard but we are given money each paycheck depending on what benefits we choose. The benefit coverage is better compared to the other coverage I've had in the past.

Dress code is casual (jeans and tshirts are acceptable). Lunch is provided each week and there is a fully stock pantry with healthier snacks and fruit available in addition to drinks and sodas. Beer Friday's is a frequent occasion. Very flexible work schedule and unlimited PTO because of the trust they have in their employees. Free gym membership for employees. Company is not afraid of technology upgrades.

$3,000 continuing education is provided for individual employees each year although it does have to be approved in advance. 80% is paid for up front and the other 20% is reimbursed based on grade or pass/fail (which is pretty typical). A budget for the entire department education is provided for either a certification requirement for individuals or full team learning.

Cons

The only con I have is that eVestment has grown so much that it can be hard to figure out who people are because there aren't any name tags or anything at the cubes

I love how the senior management is so communicative with the employees. Every time they want to address the employees the emails are very well thought out and explanatory of what is being conveyed. When the unfortunate announcement came about the layoffs after the acquisition the management had a mandatory company meeting to explain what was going on and how employees were impacted.

The senior management is also very open to conversation with employees and is always greeting everyone they pass and asking how things are going. They do expect you to work hard and not take advantage of the casual atmosphere. As long as you do what is expected of you, you will be very successful