easyJet

Updated Apr 4, 2014

easyJet CEO Carolyn McCall

Carolyn McCall

Excellent learning place

EasyJet Graduate Programmer (Current Employee)
Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at easyJet full-time for more than a year

ProsI consider this as the best programme in the industry. 2 year department rotation in the airline industry is found nowhere else. Often leads to manager-level position

ConsLow annual pay in consideration of the amount of work. Some colleagues struggle in not treating you like students still.

Working here is hard

I have been working at easyJet full-time for less than a year

ProsEasy to get a job as cabin crew here and a good foot in the door of the industry if you wanted to work for a better airline in future. Things have gone downhill from when I first started working at easyJet for new joiners BUT the uniform is much better than it once was!!
The pay is generally pretty good.
On-board commission
Free tea/coffee/water and meals on duty.

ConsHaving to pay £181.21 for uniforms for females, males pay a little less
Having to pay for referencing service (£155.00) for your airside ID pass!
Paying £100 for staying in the training hotel for three weeks
All of these are deducted over the months from salary.
They only offer fixed term contracts for new joiners, if you leave before your contract ends you have to pay a bond! This starts at £600 and decreases by £100 each month.
No control over roster
Low annual leave allowence (10 days per 6 months plus four days public holidays)
Long days (12 hours plus sometimes)
Minimum rest between flights (11 hours!)
Very few night-stops, just there and backs, sometimes four flights a day. It's just like working on a flying bus or flying Tesco!
Poor management
Treated like kids, especially during training
Tidying the cabin on turnarounds

gave me the possibility to develop my competences

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at easyJet full-time

Prosdynamic, young and fast company. Gives the opportunity to a lot of people to work in diffirent field and it is possible to change field if wanted.

Consvery demanding and can be exausting. You have to give a lot without waiting anything in return. Priority must be the company and it can be hard to have a work/life balance

Management closed minded

I have been working at easyJet

ProsGood salary, up to 3 months holidays, fairly good staff travel.solid company

ConsHard working hours, no opportunity to improve or grow ( unless you lick their a....) bad management in Italy ( they think and they do get away with everything due to Italian law) , a growing fear of dismissal and disciplinary action.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from English values and stop using Italian mentality to abuse workers

This organisation is exceptional in its drive and determination to be the best in the airline world.

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at easyJet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe energy and enthusiasm of the people - the people make easyJet! Without the people here representing the Values, and pushing through the Customer Charter, easyJet would not be as successful as it is. It's great being prt of a successful business - being able to see the positive contribution we make to the success of the organisation.

ConsYou can end up working long hours if you let the yourself. Stay in control of your work-life balance and manage your time effectively - work from home occasionally if you can as this can help to clear the decks sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe should foresee things coming before they hit us! Sometimes we end up having to make fast decisions - there is the balance between being flexible and addressing business needs and being reactive - reacting to what other airlines do.

Learned so much

Cabin Crew (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at easyJet full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment,and they help you all the way

ConsGetting up early morrining, in winter

Advice to Senior ManagementHave to be there a while

1 year in easyJet Basel, Switzerland.

Flight Attendant (Former Employee)
Basel (Switzerland)

I worked at easyJet full-time for more than a year

Pros- Highest salary I ever got as a Flight Attendant (Swiss contract, paid in Swiss francs).
- easy work load compare to other airlines
- adjustable rosters (You can choose to work at 100%, full time or 90%, 80%, 70% etc ...
- You can either work in the morning or in the evening or even both, up to you but you will be home every night (good for those who have a family.
- You can save a lot of money with this kind of salaries and also increases your sales during flights.
- You can have sickness leaves or pregnancy leaves (for women) without too many problems when it's needed.

Cons- Very strict management when it comes to Safety and Emergency procedures knowledge.
- Management not very involved in whatever personal problems you can have.
- No good recognition of hard work and zero sickness or absence.
- No real staff tickets ( it's a big non sense)
- You might be away from base and family when there are delays or cancelled flights.
- Too much pressure is put on the crew sometimes, especially when it comes to knowledge. In my opinion, the briefings are not done in a proper way.
- Some people are promoted only because they have internal connections or they know someone from the management. Clearly, some people who do not work their ass off and are often late, sick, have a bad level of English etc ... are promoted just because they always say "YES" and "AMEN" to everything, being good soldiers and always agreeing to what the management thinks and does.
- All in All, I didn't like the atmosphere in this base at all.
Lots of people are nice in front of you and talk bad behind your back (It's a small base).
You will hear lots of rumors and things about you that are totally false but the management is stupid enough to believe it.
CAUTION ! The management also spies on employees.
They ask a lot of stuff to Managers and have access to you "personal" company mail box so, beware of what you write and what you say. They know everything !

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should really give real recognition to the good people who work hard and are professional instead of keeping the lazy ones.
Everyone does mistakes, including them so they should give 2nd chance to people who deserve it.
They should also stop this "fixed term contract" policy coz some people make a lot of sacrifices to be far away from their families to work in some European bases.
You can't obviously make plans and future projects when you end up having a fixed term contract renewed during 2 years or more. This does not allow people to have a stable life and does not motivate them to continue a career within easyJet.

You get squeezed like a lemon

Cabin Crew (Junior) (Former Employee)

I worked at easyJet full-time for more than a year

ProsCheap travel, meet alot of people

ConsYouhave no persnal life, you work for very very long hours

captain

Captain (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at easyJet full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat place to work and enjoy a career in flying

Conswork harder than in other airlines

Life at Easyjet for Me

Cabin Crew (Junior) (Former Employee)
Gatwick, England (UK)

I worked at easyJet full-time for more than a year

ProsGood money; could sometimes have 2 days of work, followed by 3 days off!!
You meet some cool people.

ConsAntisocial hours/days, could often end up working weekends.
Not much chance of having a proper routine, and totally wrecks your body clock.
Also don't really get to see the outside of the plane.

Worked for easyJet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at easyJet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for easyJet CEO Carolyn McCall. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by easyJet employees.