ecalix

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.3

Harry Sandhu

I have been with the company more than a year

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at ecalix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I stayed at the accommodations in Pleasanton where the apartments were pretty much new. it wasn’t bad, my roommates were fine, it was like going back to the college times haha…its free which was a huge plus because there was no way I could afford to pay for a place in California at the time i came. I.T. is what I know best, so I was placed within 2 weeks after the class ended. All in all I recommend this place, work hard and the pay is great.

Cons

There wasn't much that I had trouble with. The training is a little intense, but if you are motivated, you'll go through it with no problem.

Not bad! I have worked at e-calix full-time less than a year

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at ecalix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its very intense program, you have to make sure you are ready to study they give you a lot of documents to study. Marketers are great, they really get you busy with interviews. The marketers help you with prepping for interviews and make sure you understand every step of the process.

Cons

everything is so fast pace, you will be expected to memorize and know it all by the end of the 4th week.

great training and interview prep

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ecalix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great training in QA and automation tools

Cons

really had to work long hours to complete my assignments. Too many details

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at ecalix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I came to Ecalix in August and it has been a great experience thus far. I came not knowing what to expect as I was coming from Chicago going to California. They offered a nice apartment with a cleaning service every 10 days, great training, resume writing and job prep. They have very solid connections and are very helpful all around. They helped me through everything from training to living arrangements, tips/advice on the area and even helping me get to the interviews. After all that I landed a contract at Apple!

Great Training for Business Analysts
    Good starting pay
    Great Interview Preparation
    Good Trainers
    Helpful People
    Great Contacts
    Free rent while you train

Cons

They are aware of what needs to improve and are actively working to do so but this is what I thought about it...

Not as organized as they should be but making improvements.
    The work/life balance for training needs to improve, long hours of training but again, making improvements.
    No stipend during training.
    Have to live with multiple roommates again (back to college life for a little bit).

Get more organization and solid schedules and routines. Also understand that very long hours of training can be counter-productive. Otherwise, keep making the necessary improvements and I think this company will continue to soar.

EXCELLENT CAREER START

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ecalix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

After completing my Master's in Business I was trying to get job in my state but could not find what I really wanted to do. I was referred to this Company by a friend who was successfully placed in East Coast through Ecalix, Inc. I attended the BA training and was very impressed with the trainer who has himself worked as BA for many years. It was like real time projects that we went thru and gave me very good insight to real world scenario. Attending mock interviews really gave me the confidence to face the interviewers. I enjoyed my stay and made lot of good friends.
    I think guest houses are conveniently located and well kept. I shared my guest house with 4 other candidates and we did our projects and presentations together after the class. Me and my batch mates are working on projects in different cities. Ecalix, Inc. has an excellent continuous support system and I have reached out to them a couple of times when I had some doubts on a project. I have been getting constant raises.

Cons

The training is pretty extensive and some of the topics were not relevant to my educational background.

Keep up the good work.

Not a very good consulting company

I have been working at ecalix

Pros

Training is good and through.

Cons

Terrible operating mechanism
    Poor marketing resources
    Benefit/Salary wise, they won't give you what they promised to you when hired you!

Hard to sum up in one sentence

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at ecalix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Ecalix recently as a QA. Since I'm a QA, my experience would be mostly QA related, some non training stuff you may relate as BA.
    - Based on what I have known and research, Ecalix seems to be one of the better ones compared to some other consulting companies.
    - Guest house: yes, it's crowded. You will have to share your 2 bedroom apartment with 5 other guys. However, considering it's in Pleasanton, the apartments are very expensive, it kinda makes sense. The apartment is nice (yes I did read the review about it and I can tell you the management fix things very quick, no rat problem etc), they have someone come to clean 2 times/month. But ultimately it's your responsibilities to keep it neat and clean. Roomates situation wise, I think I luck out because all my housemates were very nice. On a side note, the area where you reside is very nice, virtually no crime rate, and there is a walmart 10 minutes away to buy food.
    - Training: I would not say they give you great training but it wasn't terrible either. Before I go any further, my word of advice, if you have no background in coding, you will have a VERY tough time in QA because 95% of what you will do is coding!
        1/ Training was 6 weeks but since I have a very strong programming background, in my opinion, it should only have taken me 3 weeks, so I can be placed on project faster. But they just would not let me join project even though I kept pushing. They REALLY need to fix this.
        2/ They made you learn 2 main tools for QA but ultimately, everyone of us just picked 1 of the 2 to specialize in. So again, in my opinion, spending too much time on the other tool is quite a waste of time.
        3/ We had 3 trainers. Two are ok, but one of them is GREAT! Having a chance to meet him was totally worth my trip to CA. He's very knowledgeable, funny and teach EXTREMELY WELL. He is very optimistic, however, so you have to judge yourself accordingly.
        4/ In conclusion, if you come in without knowing much and expect to become an expert, it's NOT going to happen. Keep this in mind, this is programming, you have to practice on your own, noone can make you an expert. The trainers are there to answer any of your questions! (yes any question, that guy is an encyclopedia of programming, Ecalix is very lucky to have him).
        5/ Training is free NOT paid. So you will have to figure out how to pay for your food and other necessities during training time. At least you don't have to worry about a place to live I guess.
    - Project placement: Some of the marketers (Not all only some) have VERY GOOD connections that would help getting you a job and yes, some of the companies are big names. They do pay for your flight ticket to whereever you go and give you relocation money. They offer you life insurance (no clue how much) but no health insurance.
    Ok, sounds very awesome, why are people not applying for this instead of Microsoft? Of course, there's always a catch.
    1/ Resume, read other reviews, do your research about IT consultant companies so you know what you are getting into.
    2/ This company is small, so it's HIGHLY UNORGANIZED. If you decide to join, you are quite lucky because one of my housemates is actively pushing them to make it better. Luckily, the owner is trying to do so but to be honest, if they can just hire my housemate to organize the company, it would be in much better shape.
    3/ Timeliness is not their strong suit at all. Delay of 30 mins to an hour or more is quite frequent and very frustrating.
    4/ Their contract used to be a huge mess. But, we were persistent to make them modify the contract, now it's clearer and more transparent, so hopefully it stays that way.
    5/ This maybe a good and bad thing. The marketers, who try to get you jobs, are competing against each other. Hence, they will try their best to get you on project. BUT they will always focus on the better candidates first, so try hard to be to the best in your group so you can get out faster. Another thing, since they are competing against each other, you will receive many requirements that you will have to manage to keep up with all of them. Now, be smart and select the right ones.
    With all that said, beside your skill set, one very important thing that you MUST have when joining is communication skill. You HAVE TO be able to express yourself, explain what you know. I have seen people who are GREAT but could not get on project due to their lack of communication skill. Ecalix do try to help you with it but ultimately, it's only you who can help yourself.
    Alright, so should you join the company? If you are on OPT and it's expiring, it's worth a try (again I only speak for QA, BA trainer seems to be very good but I have no interest in that field so i can't really speak for you). If you have no time pressure to quickly find a job, there might be some place out there for you.

Cons

I put pretty much all that needed to be known in the above section.

- Be more organized
    - Do better screening process
    - Don't push candidates to fields that they cannot progress

Challenging Coursework to better prepare you

I have been working at ecalix as a contractor

Pros

The company's new location is great and so are the new apartments they provide. The course is quite detailed and it's hands on study, so come prepared to commit. The Teacher's are amazing! They provide great practical assignments which help prepare you for real job projects.

Cons

More elaboration on the coursework, so one has a chance to better prepare. Improving the office culture will be quite helpful.

good on Paper but be sure to read the fine print

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Livermore, CA

I worked at ecalix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They provide seemingly decent training and have some connections to the business world. They also provide visas to those who need it. They have a good offer on paper but you need to be aware of the fine print.

Cons

- Terrible communication: I didn't know where I would live for the entire time I was there and accommodations changed at a moments notice
    -training felt like a sales meeting: Both trainers would try and sway employees into their classes regardless of educational background. You do need tech skills to be a QA
    -Loose morals: They tell you that you will be marketed as having 6 years experience as a QA or BA. Most people like me were fresh college graduates. They do this by having employees sign promissory notes of about 8,000 dollars. These are enforceable outside of your contract. Afterward they give you a fake resume and social media profile. They also have you sit with a marketing team and memorize answers about your fake experience.
    -Contract: I had their contract reviewed by a lawyer who specialized in this type of law. He stated that their were a number of errors and that the contract offered me no protection. They also stated that anything mentioned in email would be legally binding. Just to let you guys know that is false.
    - Predatory: They ultimately seek out international students who want to stay in the country. These people are not able to say know to some of the shadier practices listed above.

Don't try to prey on those who aren't in a position to say no. Also don't give them 24 hours to get their contract reviewed.

This company is a SCAM

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Fremont, CA

I worked at ecalix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None, indeed. perhaps the so-called free (but unpaid) training, housing, and marketing. But the truth behind is explained in the Cons below.

Cons

- This ICC provides u the so-called "training" for free, but it isn't really free after all. You have to sign a shady agreement /contract, and if you leave the company before 9 months, you will sue you and fine you for thousands of dollars.

- During the training, they will provide you some kind of resource or computer software, however, they are ALL pirated version (e.g. MS office, HP QTP, Informatica, etc).

- During the training, they will provide you housing - which is a tiny, dirty, filthy 2 bedroom apartment with 5 other candidates that requires u to sleep on a single, old mattress

- After the training, Congratulations. Now you can start faking your resume with 5-6 years of IT exp, and to lie around interviews to get job placement as instructed by the marketer in the company.

- I left this company after 3 weeks, all of the above information, may, or maybe be true at any of the future moment. Good luck.

Attend a life lesson, try not to lie to people, try paying your employee from the start, try...shutting the shady place down