ecoATM Reviews

Updated March 21, 2015
8 reviews filtered by
2.8
Maria Stipp

Start up vibe without the start up stress

I have been working at ecoATM full-time

Pros

Interesting product, friendly people, desire for continued innovation, casual start-up-like atmosphere. Not (yet) a victim of the cynical and entitlement attitudes of large corporations. good pay and benefits, great office space, management gives individuals ownership and accountability of decisions. Good grasp on current customers and potential customers

Cons

Still adjusting from start up to being part of a public company. this goes for the individual contributors as much as senior management. based on other reviews it seems like the former is having a harder time, but it's not noticeable in daily conversations around the water cooler. marketing of product could improve.

Hold on to the startup feel. that drives innovation, positive work environment. keep on focus, be smart in expanding into different markets.

This sure *was* a great place to work...

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at ecoATM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work / schedule, opportunities to learn and work with new tech; Yearly bonuses (though not very generous); Decent chance for advancement for lower-level employees.

Cons

Directionless leadership (Maria), bullying senior management that delights in underpaying people; confused and declining parent company, decreasing revenue, cheap pay for lower level employees (meaning support / device processing).

Find a clear direction for the company and *go* that way; Over-saturating the market with ecoATM machines, particularly in places where there is no business, is *not* a great idea; Force engineering to build a more reliable product to reduce recurring costs (meaning, take the time & absorb the cost for doing so!) and make an effort to retain your best talent.

Growing and innovating with a few bumps in the road along the way

Current Employee - Technology in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ecoATM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy my co-workers, the office culture, leaning new technical skills and software technologies. Being able to learn and use recent technology. I also enjoy feeling ownership of the products I've helped to create.

Cons

Moving targets. Sometimes having to shift gears so fast we waste time on a software application that is no longer required.

Growing Company Afraid to Grow

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Quality Assurance Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at ecoATM as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Has some of that startup culture with free snacks, foosball, ping pong. People are very friendly, I think almost everyone I sat around introduced themselves the first day.
    Good pay for the position. Get a chance to work with different types of SW.
    SW Engineers are OUTSTANDING. Really, some of the most patient, efficient programmers I've worked with. You can tell they really care about their code.

Cons

QA team seems completely unaware of how to gauge scope of SW changes. They just assume everything should always be tested, leading to alot of inefficiency.
    Some of the longer term employees/middle management are very resistent to change, which will cause all kinds of headaches as they grow. Overall a real lack of experience and knowledge of how to effectively build and manage the tools and resources available to the QA team.

Loosen the bootle neck inexperienced middle management is creating in QA in order to more affectively leverage testers time. Teach old employees to embrace change and learn to move quickly. Don't use up the goodwill of the developers, it will happen if QA does not catch up.

A train wreck

I have been working at ecoATM part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits.

Cons

Parent company has no idea how to run the newly acquired company. New President is wondering without a strategy - but, hey, she looks the part. Engineering sees how pathetic it is and most are simply drawing an above-market salary and keeping their mouths shut.

You are killing an entrepreneurial culture. Put an insider in charge and get Maria out. She really has no idea how to run this complicated a company.

a complete and utter mess

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

I have been working at ecoATM (more than a year)

Pros

you get to talk to interesting people throughout the country, good benefits

Cons

frequent mechanical errors with machines, customers dropping phones into the accessory bin, strict policies to get stolen devices back (police reports plus a written authorization) resolutions often take 2 weeks to a month to handle, slow moving departments. the customers that we often get are desperate for cash and will scream and cry to you on the phone, yet you have zero power as an agent to help them. The term "glorified secretary" is a joke that we often share as agents. Highly stressful, low pay, and very little power to help a customer. Unless you have a masterlike zen, avoid working for this company.

work on making the kiosks more reliable and having a quicker turnaround time to send people their devices and "short payments" sent to them.

Fresh start up, that has some growing pains to work out

Current Contractor - Tier I Technical Support in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Tier I Technical Support in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ecoATM as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good team that works to pull the weakest up. An extensive training, and then a mentor system that gets new employees use to the machine you work with. A team of individuals that know continue to share ideas and help educate but at the same time understand how to have a laugh. Plus there's free soda, and chips

Cons

Not the highest paid technical support, management seems to be a bit confused, and poor communication between staff and management

Better communication. And stand by your rules, and employees

Growing company that is still learning

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent

I worked at ecoATM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed working environment (casual attire)
    Flexible hours (Operate under Mall hours)
    Comfortable office
    Provide free office snacks (granola bars/cookies etc)
    Decent starting hourly pay $14 dollars an hour (Con - Hired as temp)

Cons

A lot of dissatisfied customer calls -
    There were MANY times the kiosk would glitch and eat the customer's phone providing NO MONEY. Obviously this led to many pissed off customers and the only thing we could do for them was have them wait 4-6 weeks to get their phone back (if we were even able to locate it) or send them a check for the minimum quote value which took 2-3 weeks to be shipped.

No training -
    At times this could be very frustrating because during the morning shifts you work with a 3rd party company (pitney bowes) performing repairs on kiosks remotely. Many times the repair agents DO NOT know what to do so this made the process very frustrating and time consuming.

Unprofessional Management -
    Besides the office swearing, mainly, there was no sense of urgency for making the customer happy. Many times customers would call asking for the manager to follow up on their missing/eaten phone. Most of the time the manager wouldn't take the call and had us tell the customer he was in a meeting. To the managers defense, there was only one manager leading to work overload.

Being the brilliant idea EcoATM is has led it to be a fast growing company, with that said, there are a lot of things the company needs to improve on. Mostly, they need improvement in engineering to stop kiosk glitches and provide better training for their employees. EcoATM is a company that is in a learning process.