edX Reviews

1. Mission focused, with great people and interesting work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at edX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Mission focused organization: the management truly believe in bringing high quality education to everyone, everywhere. This is definitely different than the corporate world.
    - Great people: the interview process took a while, with lots of rounds. I can see why: they focus on getting great people that fit into the organization
    - Interesting work: the job requires constant learning, and there is no lack of opportunity to get involved in new projects and learn more about the industry
    - Culture: friendly, helpful people at all levels. Anyone is willing to lend you a hand.
    - Free lunch and snacks

Cons

Lack of clear performance management and people development practices. There are plenty of opportunities for this, but it will vary based off who your manager is. This is probably due to how young the company is (e.g. still ironing out the details, and the fact that your next role in the company may not even exist yet).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and try to maintain the culture even as the organization expands.

2. Awesome Mission, Troubles with Execution

I have been working at edX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EdX is full of amazing, dedicated, brilliant people who want to change the world. Our mission is fantastic and our opportunity to make a real difference is real. In general, our culture is supportive and our co-workers are inspiring.

Cons

EdX leadership does not always appear to fully support the execution of the organization's vision. We say we focus on our learners and members, but make decisions which either do not consider them or actively harm them. Our values, which are fully supported by the employees, are not always embodied by leadership.
    EdX also supports a culture of overwork, praising employees more for their availability at all hours of the day and night (and weekend) as much or more than for their quality of work and dedication.

Advice to Management

You having an amazing team working for you. Treat them with respect, trust them to do their best, and value their opinions.
    Be transparent in your consideration of our values when decisions are made.
    Find ways to invite feedback that allows more constructive feedback to be offered and heard. "Open Door" policies are great, but many individual contributors will have difficulty mentioning true difficulties via an open door.

3. Great experience

I worked at edX (More than a year)

Pros

Mission driven org, really smart and talented colleagues.
    Competitive salary
    Genuinely liked the people I worked with
    Challenging projects, amazing networking opportunities
    Kendall Square location
    Free lunch, snacks, etc.-- all the things a software startup offers

Cons

After two years I needed better work/life balance. You will put in the hours.
    Sometime contradictory goals articulated by leadership in different areas.

Advice to Management

Senior management: Stop being so micro-managerial. You have really smart people, give them space for leadership development .

5. Passionate Culture and Mission, Amazing Place to Work

I have been working at edX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driven staff, highly motivated teams
    Supportive upper management
    Aggressive Growth Strategies
    Industry leader, cutting edge technology
    Start up culture, great office space, amazing benefits

Cons

Since the Company is still young and moving at an extremely fast pace, process documentation and standard policies/procedures are not widely available, but there seems to be plans to enhance these items within the upcoming year.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people!

Excellent company mission, very poor culture

I worked at edX part-time

Pros

Working with great universities and students, some great employees

Cons

Bad environment for learning, huge disconnect between mission and upper management

Oct 21, 2014Manager, HR

Staying aligned with our mission is very important to us, as is hearing from our employees. As an organization grows, ensuring that the lines of communication are open and flowing is critical to our ... More

7. A fantastic place to work; a culture that truly cares.

I worked at edX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people of edX truly care about education and about changing the world. One of the greatest places I've worked, culturally.

Cons

This is a hard thing to fill out, I imagine I'm one of the few people to leave and it was for a personal reason, a feeling that they needed someone better than me for the position. So the only con here is that "Your coworkers are too good"!

Advice to Management

Just keep changing the world!

8. Great Experience

Current Intern - Software Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Intern - Software Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at edX as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to work at a company that is so actively changing so many lives for the better is a wonderful experience. Additionally everyone working there was super friendly and it was a wonderful environment to learn in.

Cons

Things are fairly disorganized and most devops and design staff are busy, which makes it hard to get their time.

Advice to Management

Hire more DevOps and Designers.

Oct 24, 2014Manager, HR

We have hired some amazing people who are talented, fun, and passionate about the work we are doing here at edX. Each day we meet with future colleagues in an effort to grow our team with the best ... More

9. Test engineering at edX

I worked at edX (Less than a year)

Pros

High quality free lunch every day
    Working with friendly, helpful people. One coworker offered to lend a book about Git.
    Good for students to become familiar with a real-world development situation

Cons

As a temporary worker, I didn't have the opportunity to feel a part of the company. For example, there was a weekly company meeting that we didn't attend.
    I wasn't familiarized with the entire structure of the edX website which the organization was working on.

Advice to Management

I think it's a good idea to give people a better overview.

Oct 21, 2014Manager, HR

At edX we strive to ensure everyone feels welcome and part of the organization. The weekly meetings are open to all edX employees regardless of employment status. We have sent out weekly invites to ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed