f.y.e. Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
115 reviews filtered by
2.2
f.y.e. Chairman & Chief Executive Officer of Trans World Entertainment Corporation Robert J. Higgins
Robert J. Higgins

Pros
  • If music and movies are your interests you will have the opportunity to learn about new things (in 23 reviews)

• The discounts and listening to music (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, not a lot of growth opportunities (in 12 reviews)

• Upper Management does not realize that their Lower Management is destroying the company (in 11 reviews)

1. Loved the people, hated the customer base

Former Employee - Third Key in Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere and group of employees I worked with were the absolute best I've had, as far as a retail job. My manager was so cool and is still a pretty good friend. And you could tell he cared about his employees, more so than just getting drivers or upping sales. If weather was bad, for instance, he would call the people who lived farther out and tell them not to come, working their shifts for them. It was also nice being able to listen to new music and being constantly in the know for what releases were coming out.

Cons

The customers more often than not were atrocious. We constantly had thieves coming in to sell products for cash. When we would bring this to the attention of district or regional management they would tell us to mind our own business and buy the merchandise. Retail is not an easy gig, and often times your treated like crap and not nearly compensated enough for it. Also, Black Friday.

Treat your employees like my manager, with mutual respect and caring. Listen to what they have to say since they're out there in the trenches. And please, please, stop catering to thieves!

2. Very enjoyable atmosphere to work in. The company needs to spend more money on advertising though.

Current Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at f.y.e. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Connecting to the customers, finding things they need. Getting to review music before buying. Knowing first when the newest things are coming out. An extensive back catalog of items to take care of the customers needs.

Cons

Goals that border upon unrealistic. District manager, regional manager, and regional sales managers all repeat the same things about the same items. You do not feel supported by the higher ups.

Listen to your staffs. Understand that not all stores can make the same numbers happen. Relax on the dress code.

3. Disappointing

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at f.y.e. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unfortunately none anymore. Was a good company long ago. Until they lost their integrity. Regional Manager complains about her District Managers to the store associates.

Cons

Upper mgmt just cares about profit, not people or integrity. Want you to do whatever it takes to get drivers including scamming the customers. Thieves come in with stolen product to sell all the time and your Regional and District Manager tells you to take it. No support from upper management. They don't take responsibility and will tell you what you want to hear and then stab you in the back. They only promote the people that kiss their behind and scam the customers. No payroll and unreasonable expectations.

You need to look at how many great tenured managers you have lost the last few years and wonder why and start taking care of the people that matter, not the ones that blow smoke up your behind. Sad to see a once great company slowly die off. Integrity shouldn't be an optional requirement

5. Exhausting

Former Employee - Third Key Manager
    Former Employee - Third Key Manager

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The product is fun. This is a great place if you're a movie nerd. I like that they started carrying more trendy products, like tshirts and figures.

Cons

Upselling was horrendously difficult. Nobody wants to spend $25 on a membership card when most places offer them for free. The VIP card was a hard sell, I had so many angry customers come back complaining about being charged. We were usually short staffed, so keeping an eye out for theft was very difficult. Most of the time we had 2 people working. My pay was lowered because I transferred across states. I worked harder at a larger store for less pay than a smaller one. Felt spread pretty thin a lot.

The business needs to evolve with today's culture.

6. If you enjoy the product it can be fun!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at f.y.e.

Pros

Great product mix, although changing trends have made it difficult to make sales #'s.

Cons

Demanding Retail hours, pressure from upper management with little advice or assistance. Needs to adjust with market.

7. Working at FYE

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learning about new music, movies, and games. Sales associates and store managers were very friendly. Generous discount, and a good learning experience.

Cons

EXTREME push on add on sales - stuff nobody wants to buy. If you don't have at least 10% of your customers buying EXTRA stuff at the cash register, your job could be in jeopardy. Upper management is extremely shady and do not realize that their buyers do not want extra products. There was always something involving the upper management that was stressing out everyone working in the store.

The reality is, the consumers do NOT want magazines, PRPs, etc. The only reasonable thing being pushed is the membership, but it is too expensive to a lot of the customers. Someone walking in to purchase a $7.00 cd does not want to pay $25.00 extra for a membership. It doesn't matter who you have offering these items to customers, they most likely will not want them unless they aren't being told the full truth about what they are buying. Instead of risking people's jobs and stressing them out, try getting rid of the magazines and finding something people actually want.

8. One of my favorite jobs to work at!

Former Employee - Cashier in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hearing new music each month, sometimes watching new released movies, around literally hundreds of movies and cds, attracts the younger population so your friends will most likely come and visit you, management and co workers were amazing, discount on products, sneak peeks into the new releases book so you will know when every movie comes out

Cons

low pay, driver based (but its not such a bad thing if you're good at it), upselling is pretty hard, distance was too far (for me), sometimes you get rude customers, not much room for growth in company

Training should probably be done hands on instead of a lot of videos

9. Fye

I worked at f.y.e.

Pros

It was a fun part time job.

Cons

Working in retail is challenging.

10. Good when you're a young student

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here as a student. The hours are good because you can work part time and they will work with your schedule. The pay is minimum wage and there are no benefits, but the job will keep you busy, even during slow periods.

Cons

Upper management keeps stores highly competitive. They don't show much appreciation to good employees and they don't seem to have a desire to invest in good employees or hire from within. This company seems to care much more about money than the welfare of their employees.

Hire from within, treat employees with respect.

11. Good at drivers? Doesn't matter

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun job if you enjoy music/movies. Great for those seeking PT.

Cons

Driver based BUT no matter how good you are, they'll get rid of you for shady reasons. The company is a scam and takes advantage of the mentally disabled/elderly.

Don't fire honest, good working folks for having their personal items stolen from the backroom :))

f.y.e. Photos