f.y.e.

f.y.e. Reviews

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
2.2

f.y.e. Chairman & Chief Executive Officer of Trans World Entertainment Corporation Robert J. Higgins
Robert J. Higgins

Pros
  • If music and movies are your interests you will have the opportunity to learn about new things (in 23 reviews)

• The discounts and listening to music (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, not a lot of growth opportunities (in 12 reviews)

• Upper Management does not realize that their Lower Management is destroying the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Easton, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Easton, PA

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are really friendly. The job is pretty easy and interesting. Its hard to get a non seasonal job here.

Cons

Selling the membership passes were really hard considering it was hard to believe in them. For 15 dollars a month, its not worth it.

Backstage passes should be a lower price.

Great company if you have the right team.

Current Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at f.y.e. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a great company in the entertainment world of DVD's and CD's and the environment is great to be in. The company doesn't demand much from you, its actually pretty reasonable amount of work if you have a good team to work with. Its gets a bit crazy during the winter season but which retail doesn't.

Cons

Key word here is TEAM, from associates to management if you don't have a great communication among your team this work flow can be the worst place you would want to work for. There is a lot of things that need to get done in little time (all year long, just much crazier during winter), so if you have a bad team expect to a bad experience with this company.

Benefits are ok, you get 80 hours vacation (2 weeks) about 40-80 hours of Paid time off and 120 of sick time off(which in order to use it you have to sick more than 3 or more days with a doctors note letting them know why you were so sick that you couldn't work those days if not they take it from your PTO.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at f.y.e. part-time

Pros

Great co-workers and fun, high energy-environment.

Cons

The same songs loop all day (monotonous after 2 hours). Pressured to high-pitch customers at desk.

Management could do better to train staff at sales. Many associates are uncomfortable pressing customers to buy. They could do better if they understood more about selling.

Not enough incentive to want to push sales

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Music, fun employees and customers.

Cons

The BSP Promotions don't count towards much of anything other than making sure you keep your job.

Don't force your employees to sell something they morally can't do.

Terrible Management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at f.y.e. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount was pretty good

Cons

hired too many employees without enough hours, management had no idea what they were doing

Awesome company!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at f.y.e. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales training, flexible hours, awesome management and other work associates, getting to work with music and movies, which I am passionate about, great relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Strong push towards sales, but no commission to prompt doing better than what is required. Can get extremely busy at points and not much time to take a second to relax.

Keep doing what you're doing

Very Much a Top Down Company

I have been working at f.y.e. full-time

Pros

Product can be enjoyable, as the company moves further away from physical media, stores are getting stocked with more unique items.

Cons

Far too many tasks that distract from selling, dated storefronts and fixtures, too many aggressive sales contests for products/services that have been pushed on customers for too many years (free magazine trials, free loyalty card trials, etc) Very much a top down company, communications coming from corporate office are at times demeaning - communications often start with "congratulations...your store has been selected for... (the following new task with which we won't give any extra payroll to execute and still keep the current work load at maximum).

Get out of the corporate office and work the stores doing all the tasks you send down and additionally sell all the "free" trials to loyalty and magazines and perform to the level that is expected of the field employees.

Poorest retail company I have worked for in 20 years.

I have been working at f.y.e.

Pros

I like the actual retail products (CDs, DVDs, trendy "fun" stuff).

Cons

Where to begin...
    The company does not understand what customer service is. It is about providing an experience...not trying to get people to sign up for "free" trials of sales drivers.
    If your store is up 60% over last year...you still end up not making your plan/bonus.
    Continuous pay roll cuts; stores who over performed others are expected to cut the same amount as under performing stores.
    Excuse ridden middle management who are not interested in your ideas and suggestions.
    Outdated IT, computers and POS systems that are literally 20 years old, Black Fridays when 2 of 3 computers freeze and you have to reboot...it only takes 15 minutes to reboot...If it works, you might have to reboot again.
    On-hours projects, literally no "off hours" are given, regardless of the size of the project.
    Did I mention poor pay?
    Oh, and, you'll receive 3 different sales reports each telling you a different number...4 really if you include your flash sales...Oh wait...5. Your PNL 2 weeks AFTER the month that determines if you, don't, get a bonus.

Work in the retail stores.
    Work during a week when you have a 5K piece recall, 50 page planner, and you have to cut 6 hours from payroll. Make sure you sell 10 Vips, 3 Platinum, 7 magazines, 10 CD/DVD PRPs, 5 Electronic PRPs...EVERY day.
    Work with computers that are falling apart, fixtures that are falling apart, carpets that are filthy (and be told that you should "use spot cleaner on them").
    Do that for a MONTH. Only get paid the mean of store managers.
    Work with the customers who look you right in the eye and ignore you.
    Bust your butt and have someone who sits in an office making 5xs what you do say "I need more".
    Make 60%, 50%, 40% over LY and have some clueless middle manager driving a BMW tell you you didn't make plan...but look what I just bought.
    Get a clue!!

Good as a first job, not ideal after that.

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at f.y.e. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked my coworkers. They had all been working there for a while so they were very good at training me when I first started there. I'm big on movies and music so the 30% discount worked well in my favor. Customers from every demographic pass through (because everyone loves movies and music) so there were lots of interesting discussions about different bands and films.

Cons

Not many hours, overworked manager and senior assistant manager. Junior assistant manager was not allowed to work more than 28 hours a week. I rarely every got more than 15 hours except around the holidays. It was very boring during weekday mornings because there wasn't much I had to do except for customer service and people are usually doing other things around that time. Moving up isn't much of an option. More than likely, the company will hire outside the company even for higher-up positions. Also, the decor is very dated.

The worst part had to be the extra things we had to sell to customers. When I say HAD to I mean we'd get written up and eventually fired if we could/did not sell, no commission. There were a lot of things I had to offer to customers at the register that were usually scams when all the customer wants to do is just pay and leave. There were magazines, VIP, Platinum, reservations, and PRPs. It might not seem like a lot, but when you have to explain them all, it takes longer than it really should to ring them up. "We can get you 3 magazine subscriptions FREE for 2 months! (But after those two months, they'll charge your card. Also, they hassle you when you try and cancel those subscriptions.) We can also save you 10% off your transaction RIGHT NOW if you sign up for our card, first month free! (But after the first month, you'll have to pay $11.99 a month which really doesn't make sense unless you're going to spend a lot of money just to save 10%.) Don't like the monthly payment? Spend $25 on a card with less perks but it's cheaper and lasts a year! (This only works on regular customers who spend literally hundreds of dollars a month at the store.) Don't forget, your disc might scratch and skip/your electronic might break down as soon as you open the box, so get the PRP to make sure we'll replace that for you when that happens! (You pay the extra fee and then you have to package it up and ship it yourself while paying for shipping and then you have to wait for the product. Most of the time, people will buy electronics from reliable places and they'll only use their discs once just to load the songs onto their MP3.) WAIT, you need to get a reservation on this new movie/CD/game coming out and we'll give you this lame free gift with it! (Pre-orders are not popular anymore, it's very 90's-2000's.)" It really takes a lot of the service if you keep bothering these customers with things they never wanted or needed.

Concentrate on the factors that matter. Stop putting this huge amount of pressure on the extra stuff. You cannot force people to care about these things. Make them WANT to come back.

Low pay, high expectations

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MA

I have been working at f.y.e. part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My specific coworkers at my location are great people. Discount on product. Work around things I enjoy such as music and movies.

Cons

No room to grow. Low pay. High expectations and unrealistic goals to be met. If you do not meet them you will get written up, or management will be reprimanded. Part time associates are not allowed to work more than 28 hours. There can be no full time sales associates, only managers.

f.y.e. Photos