f.y.e.

www.fye.com

f.y.e. Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

f.y.e. Chairman & Chief Executive Officer of Trans World Entertainment Corporation Robert J. Higgins

Robert J. Higgins

Pros
  • If you like music and movies this is the place to be (in 19 reviews)

• It is flexible and has a fun environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, not a lot of growth opportunities (in 11 reviews)

• Upper Management does not realize that their Lower Management is destroying the company (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Company is struggling to survive

Store Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsEnjoyable product with music, movies and cool toys. Casual dress code and reasonably informal management style (varies region to region I suppose)

ConsOut-dated business model with out-dated technology. The day to day workload is over-whelming and it is physically impossible to get everything done in a reasonable amount of time. Corporate has no understanding of the logistics of implementing all their ridiculous pricing strategies and visual planners. Sales are struggling and the company as a whole is trending down year after year yet they continue to expect stores to show 5% to 10% growth over last year comp sales. They continue to decrease payroll hours and District Managers demand that Store Manager's work after hours to complete tasks. Company wants to redefine itself as a "selling culture" but lacks the infrastructure to accommodate selling. Payroll hours are spent on mind-numbingly time consuming tasks instead of focusing on selling. Imagine walking into a car dealership and all the sales people were also the ones fixing all the new cars. When would they have time to sell a car to you?

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline your internal processes to save payroll dollars to be used for customer interaction. Implement a spiff program that rewards staff for selling "drivers" and PURE PROFIT products and services.

Ugh

General Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Pros- None it is really a bad job

Cons- Working There is horrendous. dont do it

Advice to Senior ManagementFold

Expects a lot with little pay and actually the store manager minimum work week is 44hrs. With very little payroll given.

ProsNot accepting the job!
    It's a entertainment store with a plethora of dvd's and cd's
    The opportunity to listen to music for 8hrs
    Opportunity to listen to different artists

ConsStruggling Company
    Store Closures
    Very little promotion from within
    Very little pay for high expectations
    Low staff and high turnover due to shrinking payroll hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very stressful

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product to work with

ConsNo help from upper management, expected to upsell or your job is constantly threatened.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must be ready to work 50-60 hours to accomplish what is expected of you, and you really must be able to SELL,SELL,SELL. You also have to be a little less than honest to the customers to hit your numbers. Despite all of this, I loved my job-I loved the product, my team, and my customers. I worked there over 20 years. I believe I was let go because of a new hire in upper management, who didn't like me from the first time I met him. When I was let go, I was in the top quarter of the Region, and top third of the company. It's really too bad that corporations don't care about their employees. I miss talking about about music and engaging with my customers.

FYE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing positive to this employers

ConsSale requirements, no room for advancement, no raises.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Amazing and entertaining!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat staff, discounts, enviornment, location was great and the customers.

ConsLow-pay, shortage of employees, cant afford days off, and I barely seen the manger

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like the upper managemnet to be involved more.

It's a job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Media, PA

ProsAwesome co-workers, slight employee discount

ConsToo much focus on upselling and cashwrap, too much work to be done in too little time, no room to move up, no raises

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a little more for your employees. Don't make us focus so much on ripping off customers with loyalty cards and magazines that we know they don't want to pay for monthly. Focus more on excellent customer service and giving the customer the shopping experience they want.

Difficult, but fun and an amazing experience to grow

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Swansea, MA

ProsGreat staff, hard working store, district, and Region. The company encourages hard work and rewards you. Great insight into the entertainment world of DVD's and CD's. Great for customer servicing.

ConsThere is alot to do. There is always tasking to be done, whether it be planograms, recalls, buy backs, transfer, shipments, they keep you busy and earning your money. Sales Associates are typically overworked for their pay. Management is a good level to strive for to match pay to the work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more understanding and less strict with scheduling when things need to be done by.

Sales Representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGet to be around entertainment
    Listen to a variety of music

ConsPay is average for retail
    Have to add on too many items at point of sale
    Very corporate, numbers driven environment

Advice to Senior ManagementMore encouragement and explanation of why so much is added on at register
    Appreciate employees
    Better employee discount (sometimes the sales price for customers was BETTER than the employee discount)

The times have changed

Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGetting paid weekly, being able to listen to a large selection of music, close connection to regular customers, a family bond with my staff, the employee discount.

ConsThe times really have changed at F.y.e.. No longer is it acceptable to only create a bond with your customers, you are forced to shovel 7 different "drivers" down the throat of every customer. Every employee is now expected to reach a specific goal with each driver, and if the goal isn't met, you're written up until you're fired. What happened to the relaxed days, where you were encouraged to create a bond with your customers, to ensure they return? Everything is about pushing the discount card to the most customers as possible. Yes, a discount card is fantastic, but not everyone wants to spend $25 for a year membership. The pressure placed on employees to achieve these goals is unheard of. Should beating a sales goal be more important then getting someone to sign up for a product replacement plan? Or even signing up for a 30 day trail of a discount card, that customers with be harassed over when trying to cancel?

This is an entertainment company. This should be an exciting and fun place to work, Where we should be encouraged to wear our favorite band shirts, we're forced to wear an unflattering grey uniform. This is a music store. A band shirt should be an acceptable uniform for a company that sells best among the ages of 18-30. As long as the shirt isn't inappropriate, and the music is clean, we should be able to wear whatever we want, and listen to any clean music in the store.

With the changing times, this company has been forced to change their vision and direction over the years, in hopes to keep stores open. As someone who dreams of have their own business someday, I completely understand this. However, the products this company continues to focus on, are mind boggling. Video Games could potentially be a huge profit for this company. A pre-owned xbox 360 can easily be $250 profit to the company. And yet, they continue to let their video games department struggle and fail. We look like a joke, in comparison to best buy, gamestop, and target.

There's too much product and signage jam packed into every store. The stores begin to look cluttered and garage sale like, because there's too much product stuffed into stores.

Advice to Senior Management-Remove the Magazine promotion & The VIP discount card. They're too confusing to customers.
    -Remove the high conversion rate every employee is struggling to try and reach. Just the simple fact that employee's are getting the company drivers should be good enough. Get rid of that pressure.
    -GET RID OF THE UNIFORM. Create a more relaxed and welcoming environment with band, movie, and video game T-shirts. Even a pair of dark blue/black jeans should be acceptable.
    -Get rid of the corporate loop. I've sold more music, listening to my ipod in the store, then I have with those loops.
    -Stop neglecting the video games section. Understand that this could be a HUGE profit for the company.
    -Buy & Sell USED Super Nintendo games, and all older games. That sets you apart from gamestop and best buy, increasing your video games market.
    -Offer more free with purchase & Exclusives with video games to help bring more gamers in! Stop with the stupid instore signings, and put that money towards exclusives.

Worked for f.y.e.? Contribute to the Community!