freightquote.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Matthew Druten

Pros
  • Work Life Balance- Managers care and will work with you on life events, etc (in 9 reviews)

• They have a decent health plan, 401k and generally good benefits overall (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Popularity contest some people get handed a whole book of business and then management acts like they built it themselves (in 6 reviews)

• Work-life balance is pretty good (in 6 reviews)

1. stepping stone

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at freightquote.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

beer fridays! relaxed office work environment, traditional work hours. easy work.. very routine. ability to make good money in the 1st few months of employment

Cons

it's the luck of the draw for new associates. if you get a good book of accounts when you start, you are sitting pretty and the sky is the limit.. but, (generally) your book is a random group of accounts that could ship or may not.. the 1st time i started my book was good. I left FQ for a bit and came back and my book was terrible. i didn't do as well

Advice to Management

nothing really, for what it is, a great entry level position for college grads.

2. Bunch of Phonies

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at freightquote.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good sports teams (corporate challenge), and the work wasn't too difficult. I met a few cool people. The cafeteria was really good at the old building.

Cons

Decision making is largely fragmented and seemingly random rather than driven from evidence; rumors of problems with company abound, including personal issues of executive having real impacts on day-to-day operations.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the compensation plan, pay people better money, don't play favorites with sales reps.

3. Its a numbers game and you need blind luck in a numbers game

Former Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS

I worked at freightquote.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

got comfortable cold calling, learned how important office politics where. Witnessed blind internal promotion of sales managers. "Call em" is a legit sales strategy in freight, and it works. Can make decent money there if you luck your way into a decent account.

Cons

No technology to offer customer, no strategic advantage to sell. Total Micro Management. I stood up in my cube laughing because a customer told me a joke and wanted to share it with a neighbor and was barked at "quit screwing around and get back on the phone" General Silliness by Sales Managers

Advice to Management

Internal analytics where full of false positives and couldn't separate the signal from the noise

5. Good spot to work

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lenexa, KS

I worked at freightquote.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Focus on employees is strong. Atmospherics are good. Solid and good people work there. Nice team environments. Employees do a lot of volunteering in the community. Company has fun activities through the year.

Cons

Too flippy floppy with policy changes. First the focus must be on THIS and then it as to be on THAT.

Advice to Management

More training, more training, more training, more training.

Meh

Current Employee - Freight Broker in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at freightquote.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a very good living. Good starting salary and benefits are competitive with any other medium to large sized company in Kansas City. Mostly young people and I made some good friends at Freightquote. The on the job training is great, and the knowledge acquired can be applied to many other facets of the shipping industry

Cons

This is micro management city, and to the higher ups it's all a game of numbers. You have to call the same people week after week regardless of whether or not they have something to ship. If you don't call a certain account, management can see that and will make sure the account is called. The best way to do this is to call and let it ring, then hang up. It sounds childish but it's the only way to "call" someone multiple times within a week with out pissing them off. Again it's a game of numbers to them. Somewhere in corporate analytics there was probably a slight correlation found between number of calls and revenue, and thus they decided to base their entire business model off that. Also, you're entire sales team can see your daily/monthly numbers (Number of calls, talk time, sales margin). I can understand why they do this (to encourage competition) but it also makes the job more stressful. Starting out in this job is almost entirely a crap shoot of luck. You are given "Dormant" accounts that haven't shipped with FQ in over 90 days, and they are very hit or miss. Most of them had a problem with FQ in the past because an LTL shipment got screwed up or adjusted for more $$$ or something. So you have to dig through all that crap and listen to old customers yell at you for something you have no idea what they're talking about. Basically, you are expected to clean up someone else's mess from a while back. Management tries and spins this as "You have to find out why they stopped shipping with us!". An of course you're expected to call these account once a week or so, even if they scream at you every time. Some dormants are a gold mine, but only a handful of people actually get a dormant that will help them meet their quota month after month. The rest are only good for a couple shipments per quarter. The rest of your accounts come in the form of "Leads". Basically you are cold calling to establish your own customer base. I don't have a problem with this other than the fact that they weren't very honest about this up front, plus most of the leads are fax machines or bad contact information. Many of them are Wal Marts, Lowe's, or Auto Zones. Good luck taking care of their shipping, because chances are they have someone better than a punk broker in Lenexa. Aside from all the above stuff, the two things that really turned me away from Freighquote are that there is no opportunity for advancement and (in my opinion) no job security. Let me explore both separately: No Opportunity for Advancement: At first, in training, management tells you that there is TONS! of room for advancement within FQ. Many different career paths!....But this is only partially true. You can go into "Logistics" or "Compliance" or "Customer Service" or something else, but those are all lateral moves AT BEST. If you are an established rep and chose to go into one of these other departments than you will more than likely make less money after commission. And besides, you're still sitting in front of a screen with a headset. Not exactly "moving on up". Good luck even applying for a job outside sales though. It's basically tapping out, and since you probably don't get the job than management will view you as being weak. No Job Security: In July of 2012 FQ thought it would be a wonderful idea to hire 20+ new sales reps every month for an entire year. This is the "Freight Broker Trainee" program. Would you feel secure if you knew there were twenty more of you coming in the next month? I sure didn't. And good luck getting a job with another department when there are so many people in sales trying to get out. Brokers are a dime a dozen, and if they aren't making the calls and they aren't making the sales than they can kiss they're ass goodbye. Of course this never happened in the Freight Broker Trainee program since everyone knows everyone and is on the same floor, but once everyone gets broken down into different sales "teams" and is in different parts of the new building I suspect more people will get axed than the previous year. Plus, imagine if the economy were to tank, which is a legitimate possibility. Bad economy = No freight = no sales. No sales = no job. Freightquote is a good company, and I know what I wrote above is just the nature of the 3PL business and the shipping industry as a whole. It's such a competitive market that in order to stay in business you have to play the numbers game like FQ. Most of the people I met working there are doing well. Some are doing very well and making good commission. FQ taught me a lot about the shipping industry, which in my current industry is valuable information, but it also taught me more about myself. I learned that i suck at sales and that this type of job is not for me. FQ is better with out me and I'm better with out FQ.

Not bad if you can motivate yourself to call people who don't want to be called.

Current Employee - Freight Broker in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at freightquote.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Ramp up bonuses are great to get started

Cons

Mindless job. This is phone sales. Your talk time and call count are sent to your fellow sales team members each day as well as you daily margin. Freight Brokers have a bad reputation for bothering potential customers on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, and those calls are NOT usually welcome by potential customers. Brokers are a dime a dozen, and separating yourself from other brokers is really difficult. You need to have no problem with annoying people on the phone, getting hung up on regularly, and getting yelled at on the phone at least once a day.

Sales driven regardless of position you're hired into.

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Lenexa, KS

I worked at freightquote.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable growth despite economic downturn.

Cons

Bad experience, dominated by a frat-boy culture with little creativity. As long as sales are strong and working in a non-intellectually stimulating environment then you are fine.

Advice to Management

Define which direction you want to go and determine what you want to be; don't dabble into areas that are unproven only to pull employees along and later layoff.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

Current Employee - Freight Broker in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at freightquote.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are competitive, convenient location, decent starting pay.

Cons

Great company that management steered into an iceberg about 2 years ago and are now trying to plug the holes and keep afloat. Upper management somehow decided that the problem with the company was that it's revenue engine (the sales team) was getting fat and lazy, so they came up with a strategic plan to "motivate" the middle by instituting a financial decelerator that would kick you in the teeth by a % equal to how much you missed your quota by. Veteran reps, like me were seeing our pay ($50-$75k) being slashed by 10%-40% or more. Well as one would expect the turnover went from a slow bleed to a hemorrhage. To stop the bleed they went on a hiring binge and continue to hire at record rates but when an average of 70% - 80% of new hires quit within their FIRST YEAR on the job I think that says a lot about the current environment. It finally seems that upper management are realizing their missteps and are back-peddling to restore morale and slow the loss of a formerly powerful and talented sales force. By their own admission if the projected turn-over rate remains on it's current trajectory the company will show a net loss of millions if not 10's of millions annually. So the course corrections are a step in the right direction however the morale and goodwill of the existing sales force is still punch-drunk from the impact and it will take a long, long, time to repair. Humorous touchy freely employee surveys and after-the-fact round tables with the boneheads that got us into this position are a good start but we're not that dumb. Everyone knows it's motivated more out of a sense revenue damage control than it is out of good-will and management actually learning from their mistakes. I don't know if was greed, hubris or stupidity, all I know is what I see around me and hear from coworkers and managers. The irony is that management still doesn't seem to get it or don't seem to care. Case-in-point: managements next new brilliant idea is to take an already over crowded, noisy, cramped call-center cubicle environment full of disgruntled employees and make it even worse by introducing a new "open office" environment that they are pitching as "more collaborative" with "better communication". So our new environment on the Missouri side of the state line will sport a "state of the art" India style call center with 3x the noise, zero privacy, zero sanity. Open floor, desks chairs and computer monitors shoved side by side. No family photos, no noise barriers, no place to hang a phone list or a scrap of reference material. Plug in, make your 100 phone calls, get your 4 hours of talk time, don't take breaks or touch your cell phone (as mandated by HR policy at the whim of a grumpy COO), then go home. The company intranet promotes this as "collaboration" and touts that now rather than being isolated employees and managers will now all be able to know "what's really going on". Geeze thanks, George Orwell would be proud. Might work for Gen-Y but sorry, I'm a baby boomer and I tend to be at my maximum productivity when I'm focused and can keep distractions at a minimum. But who knows, maybe this is all by design as every corporation loves a young energetic work force and oldies like me tend to be a perceived drag on revenue - lazy burn-outs sucking up the benefits, push them out, hire a more desirable demographic. Turn-over rates just prior to and within the 6 months after the move will prove my point. I'd bet good money on a good 10%-20% churn. Management can either act now and be proactive or roll the dice, be headstrong and react after-the-fact which seems to be their M.O. as of late. I myself and a half dozen vet reps I talk privately with are already looking and plan to vacate before or just after the move. Heck, when the top 2-3 all-star sales money makers are openly venting about how horrible this new set up will be and how much they dread this dehumanizing "open floor" concept and management plows on full-steam ahead, all I can say is "you reap what you sow, you reap what you sow boys".

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting what you're getting. Morale and your credibility with the front line will be zippo until you start doing more than reacting to your mistakes. Show some leadership and start with demonstrating a little accountability. I don't know which individual or individuals in upper management were responsible for this enormous strategic blunder but frankly I think someone's head should roll. Can the Board of Directors sit by idly sit by in good conscious and let these same set of sailors pilot the ship after the direction we've gone in the past few years and given the course we're currently on? It would go a LONG WAY to restore employee morale, good-will and restore some faith in the leadership if someone was held accountable what's gone down. So far only the front-line employees seem to be baring the brunt of managements poor judgement and decision making.

It was a fun place to work about 4 years ago. Annual comp plan changes not in favor of the employee.

Former Employee - Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Manager in Lenexa, KS

I worked at freightquote.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent hours and okay pay.

Cons

Ever changing comp plan is horrible.

Advice to Management

Give employees a comp plan they can sink their teeth into so they can make some really good money.

No room for growth

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at freightquote.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits Casual dress Growing company Work life balance

Cons

Churn and burn sales dept, they will pass off good accounts to veteran reps, good ol' boy network so little room to advance, business constantly grows yet they pay a very minimal bonus and several years with no merit raise. Customer service / operations were understaffed with no plans to meet the needs of the department

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, more strategic selling, promote high performers, your customers are your only assets therefore pay for competent customer service and support.

RSS Feed </> Embed