freightquote.com

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Barton

Pros
  • Work Life Balance- Managers care and will work with you on life events, etc(in 8 reviews)

• They have a decent health plan, 401k and generally good benefits overall(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is not a place where money is just going to fall into your lap, you have to put forth the time and energy to build your book of business(in 5 reviews)

• Work/life balance has become less of a company focus than it used to be(in 5 reviews)

Fast paced ever changing environment

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to learn new skills and expand your existing skills

ConsLimited budget for training, conferences etc.
    Management lacks focus on work life balance.
    Many times things were over promised and under delivered due to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your IT staff with more respect especially when it comes to work life balance.

Lots of turnover

Freight Broker (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits and activities, getting to be a leader in a new disruptive market

Consno good paths to leadership outside of sales, lots of turnover and re-alignments.

No words can explain.....

Senior Freight Broker (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe first few years the pay and the environment were good.

ConsThey move accounts around on the sales floor without warning you which creates a rotten work environment between management and the employees. They change pay plans on a regular basis and if you have any critical issues with a carrier or customer they never back you up.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, They seems to think they know what they are doing so keep up the way you are going and sooner or later everybody in Kansas city will have worked there and that is exactly what they want.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bunch of Phonies

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsGood sports teams (corporate challenge), and the work wasn't too difficult. I met a few cool people. The cafeteria was really good at the old building.

ConsDecision making is largely fragmented and seemingly random rather than driven from evidence; rumors of problems with company abound, including personal issues of executive having real impacts on day-to-day operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing the compensation plan, pay people better money, don't play favorites with sales reps.

Many good and bad years

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsI was able to grow with the company starting off as a sales rep and working my way up thru management. The harder you work the more commissions you can make. Office job with minimal travel. Have the ability to work from home after hours to grow. Have a lot of good people that work there.

ConsCommission plan, targets and objectives changed frequently. Highly competitive sales environment with lots of turnover.

Advice to Senior Managementgood luck with your new direction!

Keep Looking

Freight Broker (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe best experience I had with this company was my co-workers. I've mad several lasting friendships with my colleagues. The company itself does offer decent benefits (401K match at 3%, up to 3 weeks PTO, 8 paid holidays, and discounted health/life insurance with Blue Cross) while the pay leaves some to be desired. Most employee salaries cap around $35K, sales can make commission on top of this.

ConsThe industry in general is a crap shoot. You have to cold call all day long every day, and you still have a hard time landing a decent account. This company prides itself on being the first online 3rd party logistics company, but has since then been surpassed by the competition. Getting lucky landing good accounts is harder all the time when the big name competitors can always beat FQ on price and truck capacity, but management blames the reps for not bringing enough new business. Very high turnover, very high stress. Management also changed the commission plan to include a seat cost where sales reps have to pay the company several thousand dollars of their commission each month just to be there. The top execs keep firing mid-level managers which makes inner office communication difficult at best, and dysfunctional oversight of the customer service/operations department has left it a vastly under-staffed bad joke. Lastly, good luck with the supervisor you're assigned to. Some of them are reasonable people that have the best interests of their sales team members in mind. That or you get stuck with some corporate drone who mindlessly micro-manages you to the brink of insanity so they get a pat on the back for enforcing misguided agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are very unhappy, morale is at an all time low. You keep funneling in a new heard of hopeful reps who believed the hype you threw at them, while not addressing the problems that's causing the hemorrhage of existing employees. The whole system needs an overhaul or it won't survive. Your sad attempts at making people happy are obvious and ridiculous (random dance party Wednesdays, really?). Rumor mill has it that they're about to be bought out by a competitor anyway. Oh well, maybe Echo will do better with it. FYI, Tim isn't the CEO anymore. He was pushed aside and replaced by Tyler Ellison.

Stay away.... Overworked and unappreciated.

Freight Broker (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood co-workers.

Freight socials.

Jeans.

Truckstop cafe.

Building.

Freight Socials

ConsYour job responsibilities are of 20 different positions and no help.

Micro managed.

Seat cost is ridiculous.

Management doesn't do anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more support and sales can do their job. Quit changing what works... Literally something new everyday.

Quit micro managing the reps!

Its a numbers game and you need blind luck in a numbers game

Account Manager (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

Prosgot comfortable cold calling, learned how important office politics where. Witnessed blind internal promotion of sales managers. "Call em" is a legit sales strategy in freight, and it works. Can make decent money there if you luck your way into a decent account.

ConsNo technology to offer customer, no strategic advantage to sell. Total Micro Management. I stood up in my cube laughing because a customer told me a joke and wanted to share it with a neighbor and was barked at "quit screwing around and get back on the phone" General Silliness by Sales Managers

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal analytics where full of false positives and couldn't separate the signal from the noise

The Roulette/Musical Chairs of job opportunities.

ProsWhen I originally started with the company back in the fall of 2012, the compensation structure for new employees was generous. Great health benefits and 401K program. Companies need fringe benefits like that to help retain their employees. Lots of diversity in the workplace. It's a good place to actually make new friends as well. It's a crap shoot to get good accounts. I would say a good majority of those who make great money, never "caught the whale." People are grandfathered accounts (some in great standing with the company and some that has potential).

ConsCorporate structure seemed very relaxed giving empowerment to their employees to do the best they can. That quickly fell by the wayside through all of 2013. Within a year upper management (executives, VP, and the CEO) all became a game of musical chairs that left the company and their employees without a sense of direction. Unfortunately that does not work wonders for overall company morale. It's a cutthroat industry. There are dozens of company's similar to Frieghtquote that provide nearly identical services. The company has nothing exclusive to make their product more desirable than their competitors.

Logistics is a fickle industry. Don't be fooled that there's a ton of loyalty from customers. There are of course exceptions, but cash is king. Companies don't have the luxury to be free spirited in their budgets for shipping. Many companies will have a half dozen or so freight brokers so they can compare prices. Your smiling, winning attitude plays only a small part on whether or not you will receive someone's business.

Lastly, it's a numbers game. Manages like to analyze your talk time (inbound versus outbound), the number of calls you make, leads generated, so and so forth. Quality isn't a factor. If you have 3-4 good conversations for about an hour or so is not as good as making 20 calls in an hour and "maybe" having one good lead. Management wants you on the phone for a solid 2-3 hours a day. If you think that's easy, imagine going through 75-100 outbound phone calls. The would "NO" will be forever etched in your mind. When you're new and trying to build a book of clientele, you are essentially a call center worker. The type of people you hate when they solicit you for whatever reason. It's a grind, and honestly, there is money to be made. It's not easy for sure, and definitely not for everyone (almost everyone really). The philosophy there is to make money, and that's it. There's no sense of accomplishment when you move someone's freight. If you feel whole after a day's work, you might want to ask yourself "is this the pinnacle of my career?" If you say yes, then more power to you. If you say no, leave when you can. Money is not everything, your life/career should have more meaning that that.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's more than one way to skin a cat. Instead of following a strict regime, empower your employees to explore different ways to grow accounts. Micro-managing almost never works, so why even try. All it does is put more pressure on the camel's back. There's already so much weight weighing on their shoulders.

It was ok

Account Representative (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsIt was easy to get a job, they tend to hire anybody, that helped when i got out college, I was going on so many interviews and then was hired quickly.

ConsThe company cuts commission every year, they think that customers only ship because they like using FQ instead of the rep, which is wishful thinking. They tend to favor people who walk in the door brand new then people who had been there for a while. Pretty soon they are going run out of ppl who want to work there, everyone in KC market that is in sales know about the place, they have a horrible reputation that is getting worse each year. There new commission plan for 2014 is making a lot of people quite.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees for commission, its your employees that make the place great not your brand name.

Worked for freightquote.com? Contribute to the Community!