gTeam FZ Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
4.1

CEO

I'm hapy working at gTeam but I recongnize it really requires a mindset change

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at gTeam FZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started working with gTeam three years ago, my spouse was relocated and I had to resign after working 10 years for a 500 Fortune public company. Very challenging environment, things mover 10 times faster that in an ordinary organization, personally it has been a great learning and professional experience.

Cons

Long and tough selection process, I had to complete a 5 day simulation. Also the guys you interact with during trial are not so helpful nor friendly.

Share more about the company, there is a lot of misleading information about gTeam on the web.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Chief Architect  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Chief Architect in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at gTeam FZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love being able to work from home, or a coffee shop, or while visiting extended friends/family in a different country, etc. There is no office to work in, which changes the culture dramatically. At IBM, for example, a few people were remote, so they missed all of the hallway conversations or the impromptu architecture discussions at lunch, etc. At gTeam, everybody is remote, so there's nothing to miss. All of our whiteboards are virtual and we eat lunch with our families in our own kitchens.

Honestly, the pay is pretty great too. I suspect my previous employers paid a similar amount for me, including buildings, keeping the lights on, HR staff, company events, computers, various perks, etc. But now all of that money goes to me, and I don't need to beg somebody for a better laptop or nicer chair. This is a much better system.

I also like the freedom I'm given. Granted, I have a senior job in management, but I'm never forced into stupid architectures or deploying on some silly mainframe/Winblows like I've had to deal with at other companies. Perhaps said another way: the political BS seems very low here. We only argue about what's best for our clients, not about angering some VP/vendor somewhere.

I know some people see this as a con, but I love it that they don't keep under performers. You can't suck and stay here. You can make mistakes, that's fine, but you can't keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Cons

I sometimes miss going out for greasy burgers with folks on Fridays.

If I had a magic wand, I'd make the recruiting process a little more fair for people who don't get hired. I see that some people here think gTeam gets free work out of people in the Trial phase of the recruiting process. I can clear that up - that's absolutely not the case. They get senior people to solve the coding challenges and then compare incoming recruits to the known answers. There's nothing part of the trial that they don't already have a database of answers for.

With that said, people who don't pass the 3 day trial don't get paid. Years ago, they used to pay every candidate. Then some Chinese company put 100 people through the trial with absolutely terrible submissions just to make the 100 x 3 days pay, so management put a stop to that. There needs to be a middle ground though.

On that same token, because this company's completely virtual, they get 10x more con-artist trying to steal money than any company I've ever seen. I can understand that - it's more tempting when you don't have to walk in the building and let people get to know you. The downside is that gTeam has much higher security standards, which naturally get in the way sometimes. I can't blame them for it, but it is annoying.

Keep doing what they're doing, but consider paying people who do a fair job on the trial but don't make the cut.

Terrible

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at gTeam FZ full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are somewhat flexible.

Cons

They fire people on a whim. They also continually fire the bottom 20-30% of workers. Managers encourage unpaid overtime. Your work is monitored via webcam. Some managers are verbally abusive. Crunch-time is non-stop.

Have some humanity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Tech Engineer  in  Jaipur, Rajasthan (India)
    Current Employee - Tech Engineer in Jaipur, Rajasthan (India)

I have been working at gTeam FZ as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

1- Very flexible work environment
    2- Great team work with colleagues over all the world.
    3- Competitive salaries

Cons

1. No clear career path.
    2. No promotions.

1. Should be clear career path
    2. Keep doing what they are doing.

It's my third year - so far so good!

Current Employee - Technical Fellow, Software Architect  in  Karaganda (Kazakhstan)
    Current Employee - Technical Fellow, Software Architect in Karaganda (Kazakhstan)

I have been working at gTeam FZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. 100% telecommute - you choose the place to work; be it your home, a hotel in Reykjavík, a cabin on Atlantic shore. Work progress is tracked using competent platforms (i.e. oDesk). Someone may find it outrageous that "they track your every keystroke". But let's be reasonable - your manager is several thousands miles away and he needs to know what does he exactly pay for. And aforementioned tracking platforms prove their efficiency in such case.

2. Mostly flexible work schedule - you choose when to work. There's general rule to work 30+ hours per week (all paid, even if you overtime) and some fixed times for meetings and stuff. Other than that, you are free to arrange your work time as you wish. I usually keep some tasks for the weekend - to work in calm and concentrated atmosphere.

3. Compensation is simply great comparing to local market and quite competitive comparing to international freelancing. Talking about benefits, there's of course no dental insurance, no gym subscription, etc. - which is normal considering telecommute contract.

4. In some way, there's a great field for personal and professional growth. You see, it all depends on your performance and commitment. If you strive to be better, faster, stronger for your personal benefit and benefit of your company - you will certainly find a plenty of opportunities to accomplish this. I personally mastered two new platforms from scratch and performed in various roles, on various projects.

5. Great cultural diversity. We're human beings after all, and it's cool to talk on various topics be it Chinese cuisine, European heritages, Icelandic volcanoes, etc.

Special remark. After my first half a year of hard work I received a NY gift right from CEO - brand new iPad, latest model! Yay! Now you tell me they don't treat employees respectfully? :)

Cons

The only flaw I see is staffing model. It all starts with classical "stack ranking" - constantly assess employees, stack them according to their productivity and periodically fire the bottom 20% of (low) performers. This cycle never ends and there's always open positions for demanding projects. The problem is that entry conditions, especially for positions with lower pay rates, are not strict enough. It is relatively simple to get through initial screening, tests and assignments.

Now imagine that company spends quite some time and effort to ramp a new employee up and prepare him for real work. And then after several weeks (of such "paid internship") finds out that this employee is totally incompetent. This is especially harmful for technical leads and project owners as this affects general productivity and release schedule.

At the same time fired employees (usually those showing constantly low performance or even fraudulent behavior) not always have adequate understanding of why they have been fired. For some reason they keep thinking that they are such great guys and company owes them something. :)

General advice would be to do something with staffing process. Improve initial screening, make test assignments more strict and position-specific. What is also important is to cultivate the healthy corporate culture where everything can be achieved and hard honest work is always rewarded.

I would suggest to open local offices in popular locations (with potentially high density of gTeamers and new hires) providing full-fledged "internship" for prospective employees. Develop an educational course for such "internship" with a set of assignments and intermediate exams.

This way current employees would be able to introduce newcomers into gTeam processes and better prepare them for real assignments. While at the same time they will be able to effectively filter out all incompetent candidates. And both can be achieved at lower costs (comparing to current model) and with no harm to real projects.

Of course, the same can be achieved remotely, but direct contact with such "trainees" proves to be much more efficient. At the same time such local offices can be used for co-working.

Software Engineer very nice company with very demanding jobs

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Soúda (Greece)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Soúda (Greece)

I have been working at gTeam FZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexible hours, the salary, stable payment schedule, challenging environment that provide a lot of professional work experience. You need to be very committed in order to work for a long time with this company.

Cons

Hard selection process to get hired with lots of tests and trial period.

Share more some information about the company and all the followed policies. Some times it is hard for people to learn the policies.

Great step in your career path - Invaluable experiences to gain.

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager  in  Athens (Greece)
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Athens (Greece)

I have been working at gTeam FZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) Long term working relationship - 100% on time payments.
    I have been employed by gTeam FZ for the last 3.5 years as a contractor for the role of Technical Account Manager. I am being paid from the moment I started working till today through the oDesk platform on a weekly basis. Never once has my payment been delayed for even a single day throughout this period.

2) Innovative projects - Highly demanding technical tasks
    If you are the kind of software engineer looking for real challenges, then gTeam FZ is the place to work. During the last 3.5 years I have been involved with the most technically demanding and innovative projects throughout my whole career. I got the chance to participate in several innovative projects and be part of the team that drove them from the design docs to production. Those are valuable experiences I will carry with me through the rest of my Career. gTeam FZ is a rapidly changing world, trying always to stand out from rest of the completion and push the efficiency frontier of through innovation.

3) Pay rates.
    Pay rates are in general good, although they are flat and potentially not very attractive if you come from a country with a high cost of living.

4) Diversity in people, gain experience in organizing and connecting with different mindsets, working habits, cultures.
    gTeam FZ is a working environment with high diversity as it employees contractors from around the globe. In this virtual office one has the chance enrich own experiences with an innovative new way of collaborating remotely. The tools and processes being used to connect all these individuals together is an invaluable experience no other physical company can offer.

5) Location Free - Virtual office hosted on Cloud offers you all the hardware you need.
    gTeam offers to its employees all the hardware required to work in a cloud environment. Just get your laptop, travel and work remotely from any place. Work from your country house, from home, combine traveling and working abroad. There are no strict and specific hours you need to work. Of course you will have to attend scheduled meetings with your colleagues, but besides that you are free to work any time you wish.

Cons

1) Flat hierarchy, lack of long term career path.
    gTeam FZ is maybe not the easiest path, if you are the type of person who wants to build a Career and invest a lifetime in a single company. Although many would suggest that if one wants to build a career, jumping around from one company to another at regular intervals is a must, there are a few firms out there who potentially offer you a real career path. Unfortunately gTeam is not one of them. The company's flat hierarchy does not leave many spots for getting promoted or getting a raise. gTeam is an excellent step in your career path which will offer you new experiences and knowledge, but it is a step. If you wish to advance eventually you will have to seek for new opportunities.

2) Lack of bonuses, paid vacations, other benefits.
    Don't expect a car, a cell phone, a bonus or paid vacations. gTeam offers you an hourly contract based on which you are being paid. If you don't work for any reason, you will not get paid for that time of period. Completing a project successfully on time does not also mean that you will get a bonus. You will not also get other benefits, like a cell phone, a tablet, etc... but no one actually expects you to use your phone while working in gTeam.

Introduce Bonuses, give new motives to contractors to excel and give their very best in what they do.

Good job instead of working in office.

Current Employee - C# Developer  in  Odessa (Ukraine)
    Current Employee - C# Developer in Odessa (Ukraine)

I have been working at gTeam FZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clear instructions, excellent management and colleagues, flexible working hours and you will work with English speaking people (what is good, if English is not your native language).

Cons

Testing period and some tasks , that should be completed right now in one time (to be honest - it happens rare).

Not clear with career opportunities and some refunds.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at gTeam FZ as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

1- Very flexible work environment
    2- Great team work with colleagues over all the world.
    3- Competitive salaries

Cons

1- No notice period
    2- No clear career path
    3- Know bonus or extra benefits

1- Should be notice period
    2- Should be clear career path
    3- Should be bonus or extra benefits

Software QA Engineer - Best full time remote job I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Test Automation  in  Riga (Latvia)
    Current Employee - Test Automation in Riga (Latvia)

I have been working at gTeam FZ full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full schedule control, interesting tasks, excellent team members. And always pay in time.

Cons

This job is for 100% self-motivated professionals. Prepare yourself for a lot of tests and trials before you become a team member.

Worked for gTeam FZ? Contribute to the Community!