gloProfessional

Updated Feb 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Hayden

glo is a great company but the top mgmt is unfit.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe industry is great and the employees are awesome.

ConsLow pay, little appreciation, high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appriciation to your employees and they will want to work harder for you.

Products are great, company is horrible!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsSet your own schedule
    Use medical skin care products

ConsMicromanaged to the point of being bullied by management

Pay is drastically less than I was told and not enough to support a family in the least. If you have children and bills this is not the job for you.

No advertising or marketing support at the local level. Have not seen a corporate educator here in over three years.

Company doesn't keep up with competitor perks

Absolutely unrealistic sales demands

VP of sales has no idea what's happening in a territory but will make unrealistic demands and decision that will waste your time and NOT lead to higher sales

Customer service is sub-par at best. Orders always going out wrong that take weeks to fix and the sales consultant will take the heat from the customer and be blamed by the company. As of now, I've seen nothing to improve the situation.

Only apply for this job if you have no children, you are fine making $30k a year and working 6 days a week, you are ok with being micro managed, you absolutely have to have an esthetics background, you are ok working for a company that doesn't support you and a company that has a poor reputation in your area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the territory is failing and you can't keep consultants for longer than a year it might be time to reevaluate your approach. Instead of calling your current consultant 'toxic' and blaming them for the consistent downfall of the area, take a look at what successful lines are doing in the same territory. Other lines have national educators that come to the area numerous times a year. You haven't had a workshop in the area for more that three years.

“One Year Later- Yes, there HAVE been changes.” was written by the corporate recruiter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsQuarterly gratis was a nice perk

ConsJust be aware that of course that this review is only positive since they are trying to get people to work at glo.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One Year Later- Yes, there HAVE been changes.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSomething to keep in mind is that most all of the reviews on this site are from customer service and inside sales people who used to work in our corporate office and are not representative of our outside sales team.

Another thing: This is the best opportunity I have had in my career to pursue my dreams and grow professionally. I am stretched to think critically and contribute to a growing company. I'm proud of that.

There is a lot of opportunity to grow at gloProfessional. I'm not a cog in the 'corporate' wheel. I get to contribute to something amazing and learn great new skills that I am interested in and learn more about myself everyday. If an opportunity opens, you can apply and expect that if you are a good worker, you will have a chance evn if you don't have all of the skills, we WILL grow you. We ARE a team here.

Great Team: People with GOOD work ethics thrive and are successful here. Most feel a sense of ownership and personal accomplishment. No one needs to tell them every time they do a good job- this isn't kindergarten. We are always doing a good job everyday. We are proud of what we do and a part of something BIGGER. If you aren't ready to truly grow professionally, you aren't ready for glo.

This is a small company who has a superior product. This past year our company has overcome despite the economy because of our Senior Management. We all work hard and step up to be recognized. Key word: Step Up. Do a good job, get noticed.

Great corp environment, you just have to look around. Example:

Nothing says it better than a HUGE sign that is posted here at gloProfessional right outside of the breakroom:

"In the next few years, the businesses that thrive will be miserly with costs, wary of debt, caution with cash flow and obsessively attentive to what customers want."

Sounds scary? Business IS scary. If you want to work for a company that is honest, work here. If you want to work in the beauty industry but you want to really learn the business side, work here. If you want to be better than the rest because YOU made it happen for yourself and you are proud of that, we will LET you make it happen here.

ConsOpen Office environment- gives you the opportunity to feel a part of something bigger than yourself. Always an 'open door' policy.

Disgruntled ex employees say bad things about our company while the successful employees who are happy don't bother to come to Glassdoor because they are working and don't have time.

It's a BUSY office. We try to make time to get to know each other better and bond. It's a professional business office environment so sometimes YOU have to be the one who breaks out of the shell. Only people with good work ethics who are kind to others and like to be the best at what they do succeed in this company.

Everyone thinks it's a stifling environment. That's not true. Be brave enough to sing a show tune throughout the office and SEE if you don't get laughs and praise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. This year has made us stronger as an organization regardless of the bad reviews of unsuccessful people. We know who the good ones are because we are still sitting next to them everyday.

Unrealistic expectations and work hours - no appreciation!

Outside Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsEffective skincare products
    Working for glo will open your eyes to how well other companies treat their employees.

ConsA never-ending workload.
    Long hours, including weekends without being compensated for your time.
    Low salary.
    Management that micro-manages and offers no assistance.
    Busy work that does not lead to sales and is counter-productive to meeting goals.
    The list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees. Offer them a word of encouragement when they do well instead of only reprimanding them when they do not succeed. Recognize how hard they work to pay your salary. Offer assistance and real world advice. Don't expect them to be cookie cutters of each other, or of you! Everybody has their own selling style which makes us unique. Do not force your ways on them. If you say you are going to do something, do it! Recognize that the customer isn't always right. Offer better customer service and return/exchange policies.

Most disappointing job I ever had.

District Sales Representative (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsQuality product, great discounts for employees, interesting clients.

ConsPoor regional management. Low retention.

Underpaid and overworked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAllowed me the freedom to progress professionally and take on new challenges

ConsI always felt under appreciated no matter how hard I worked. I never heard positive feedback from my boss. Upper management did not do a god job creating an atmosphere where people feel appreciated and are rewarded for good work. No wonder the employee loyalty is so low, glo does not care about them. Bottom line is glo's purpose is to make money and are willing to underpay its staff (except of course for the top dogs, they make plenty)

If you want to be under appreciated, under paid and under valued- apply now!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe products perform somewhat well- although I'm not convinced that they haven't been changing formulas over the years (e.g. the pressed base doesn't apply as smoothly as it once did) and over exaggerating ingredient efficacy.

Cons-Salary is laughable
    -You have to fight to receive a commission structure that is worthy of your talents
    -Zero loyalty to a successful employee
    -Management are promoted from within with no proven track record of sales success (in fact many were failed sales reps and took positions based on their inability to generate sales and a client base in the field) because they could get paid more as a Manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees. Pay them as they deserve. Stop the busy work and redundancy that takes away valuable time in the field. The passive aggressive manner in which upper management operates is unprofessional and lacks any effectiveness in motivating your sales team. The majority of employees are miserable; if the one common denominator is gloProfessional, what does that tell you? Quit adding new products there are enough, instead focus on advertising dollars and becoming consumer motivated. gloProfessional does not have the brand recognition because it's made very little effort to take hold of the consumer market share. Hire Management that has a proven track record of success, that represents the "beauty" industry well both physically and mentally. Respect the people (who you may think are inconsequential and replaceable- heard from a head officer in the company) who pay YOUR salary, who insure YOUR success and who are LOYAL to you and YOUR brand.

Big mistake. A waste of my time.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDiscounts on a few decent products.

ConsThe review written by the recruiter that works for the company is laughable. "We're hiring". Of course you are because of the extremely high turnover rate when people realize they aren't being paid anywhere near what the were projected to make with the pitiful base and "projected" commission.

This had to be one of the most depressing environments I've worked in. If you have a bubbly personality, please be prepared to stifle it which is evident when you walk in the door and are ignored by management when you walk right past them. No "hello" or "good morning". No, just sit quietly and make sales with little direction and poor training.

Advice to Senior ManagementApparently you don't care about the high turnover rate but if anything, take a good hard look at why you lose people that could be making a lot of money for the company.

"Glamorous" Job but Poor Treatment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Gratis
    -Depending on department, opportunity to learn A LOT
    -Most co-workers are very friendly
    -Free makeovers

Cons-HUGE workload that never ends and actually consistently increases
    -MICROMANAGEMENT but you will still be blamed for anything
    -Too many hands in the pot
    -They like to give you the idea that you don't matter and this is the best place you'll ever work at
    -Lots of trash talk and drama, anywhere that claims they are drama-free is full of drama
    -Hard work often overlooked by management
    -Many broken "promises"
    -Promises of growth, don't expect any unless someone gets pushed to quit or realizes there are better opportunities out there
    -Bullying!
    -Products at average testing standards
    -HR not approachable and even says inappropriate things
    -IT monitors all online and phone activity
    -Lack of parking, expected to park on 5-inch sheet of ice on north side of building all winter long
    -Disingenuous promise of pay upon hiring
    -Don't expect to be paid anywhere close to what you're worth
    -Meager PTO times, if there's a blizzard, expect to make up the time or use a vacation day

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you expect respect and hard work, you need to show the same to your employees.

Worked for gloProfessional? Contribute to the Community!