hhgregg

Updated September 22, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • Great company to work for and great opportunity to make good money (in 24 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Its retail, long hours with very little reward or just enough of a reward to keep you afloat (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I enjoyed it. Was a fun place to work. Training was good and i worked with good people in my store.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at hhgregg (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training....great opportunity to build customer base. I made decent money the entire time I worked there. I enjoyed working with customers.

Cons

Pay was beginning to get smaller as we starting competing with other retailers even more includeing competing with the web.

need better pay when prices are falling. I sold video which we saw our prices each year get less and so did our pay.

Once Great, now not so much

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, other sales people and support staff, and decent income potential.

Cons

Upper management, advancement potential, the way they treat there sales and support staff, turnover of good people to not so good people, training, and product selection.

Stop hiring people from companies that went out of business or going out of business. Look at long term stability and not just short term for shareholders. Stop using 3rd party service's, the best advertising you can have is a marked hhgregg delivery truck driving through your neighborhoods. Take time to read these reviews and focus on making your staff happy. Happy staff equals happy customer.

they dont care

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros except for the merchandise discount

Cons

Managers are liars...the employment postings are misleading..pay is horrible...company is CHEAP. no wonder they are debt free. They don't even have internet speed above dial-up for work purposes.

listen to your teams and pay better. the charlotte area is about to get a competitor and they will loose everyone that works for hh.

Horrible company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

management will do anything for you

Cons

coworkers are "bullies", coworkers steal sales in a commision based enviroment, coworkers lie to get you fired if they dont like you

clean up your crew

Terrible Managed Company

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None really ,but co-workers will be missed after being around them so much.

Cons

Long Hours, Very little profit in products ,meaning low pay for sales associates, company makes all the profit up front. Management is terrible,starting up top with the owner/ ceo. In store Managers are terrible and ill from working 70 hours with little pay. This Company will fall fast when it starts falling in a few years because of so poorly operated. All of above translates to awful customer service in every store. 70 % of customers hate hhgregg. Just ask a few.

Spend time in every store talking to employees,not your Managers. Stop treating employees like they don`t matter. Stay away from computer reading your emails from your bosses and wait on customers.

Always a learning experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Matthews, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love interacting with the customers.

Cons

I have to work nights and weekends.

n/a

Good Company, Disrespectful Store and Regional Manager, treat sales force like a commodity

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to negotiate sales prices with customers allowing you to close more sales if you have strong people and negotiating skills. Growing company, so good opportunity to advance into management if you have desire and what it takes to manage people.

Cons

Sales commissions are lower than what you can earn at Sears for same sales volumes by about 1%. At HHgreg we call it commission control, corporate plays with cost to the store on what appears to be almost a daily basis so profit changes continuously therefore effecting your commissions payed on profit.

To corporate, your store managers are in fear for their jobs every time a regional manager walks in the store forcing the store manager to over micro manage sales staff and making everyones life miserable. When you have miserable sales people who are the face of your business, that is a direct reflection of your company to customer who interact with your sales force. Get your sales force excited (genuinly) and they will excite your customers into committing to more sales.

ok job. promises promises promises......

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Low stress and competitive. There are some very uneducated employees and they need more formal training. The entry/starting training is horrible as is the pay.

Cons

Pay is not that good. Considering the hours you put in during the holidays, the pay could be much better. To make more than the mid $30's you must be very marketable.

The lies need to stop. Stop overpromising. Constant changing of price tags is absurd. I understand sales happen, but changing tags 2-4 times a week is ridiculous.

HHSears and the Emperor's New Clothes.....

Former Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

I have met some friends that will last a lifetime. Old retail war veterans united in the every growing face of stupidity in this company.
    I went from sales associate to GM within 3 years, so there is upward mobility. However, once you claw your way to the top of the mountain, you might as well throw yourself off.

Cons

No work life balance - 60+ work weeks are the norm, and not just during the holiday's, all year round. They think throwing you one Sunday off every three weeks is just fine.
    Seven different reports to show you how much you suck in spinning all the plates in a comical attempt to over-analyize all the useless metrics. Am I up over last year, and am I doing it profitably should be the only relavent data needed. Please tell me how hounding the people that don't want to buy anything into buying something, anything (batteries, etc) is helping the bottom line. Those people counters are NOT the way to assess how well your management staff is doing. It should be a CSI, not conversion. How is it when we are 5 grand up over last year with good metrics, but have a 36% conversion, you are not doing your job. But when your day is underwater by 10 grand, but you convert at 55%...you are a GOD...for a day. Then it's forget yesterday, what are you doing for me today. Now you all see the mentality of upper management.

Forget about using the ideas of national companies that have been floundering for years. HHGregg was a company I was proud of being a part of, until it became a lifeboat for failed Sears executives.

Hard work and sacrifice will pay off with this company.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

You can advance when you give it 110% and your smart and energetic. As a young manager or sales associate you have the opportunity to learn quite a lot on the fly. I know of very few retail organizations where a sales associate with little to no experience can come in and earn almost as much if not more than their general manager just by being a hard worker. The company is very customer focused which is a breath of fresh air in the retail world.

Cons

No family life for managers. Forget it. Sorry. 12-13 hour days are expected most days (you occassionaly get off at 6 or 7 pm but most day's are 8-9pm. Pay 'can' be good. This company is bonus heavy whereby a sales manager or general manager has the ability to earn 55- 65,000 a year in most markets. However you have to hit high numbers to get that and you can work your heart out and not always suceed due to factors outside your control. Also expect to get micromanaged by your regional and corportate headquarters. These con's aren't attrocious but can weigh you down over the years and put a lot of stress on your family.

Hire a marketing staff. I know some see this as a labor cost drain but it can help the store run a lot more efficiently. Either increase the base salary or work us less. You don't need two managers both working 13 hour shifts in a single day. We have families and we enjoy seeing our children for more than 2 days a week. If you are going to start a new initiative requiring a lot of training and groundwork actually spend the time and money training your managers and people. Don't spend millions of dollars on new initiatives and then not train anyone and expect stellar results 100% of the time.

hhgregg Photos