hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 23, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money(in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55(in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week(in 46 reviews)

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Could be better

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsThe work is easy, people are somewhat friendly. The pay is good compared to some of their competitors

ConsOnly people that suck up to management are promoted. Very understaffed, so the staff is often burned out by the workload. The schedules are not made for people that HAVE and WANT to be with their families

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be better if there was more flexibility in the work schedules. If you hired more people instead of pushing people to their breaking point more people might stay.

Promises never kept

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPotential for higher income if you make goals and store makes goals

ConsChange rules of how to achieve income and entice you to take job offer with benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about how your system works and you are only going to make it after 90 days if you make all your goals.

"Sales Position" Orland park, IL

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Orland Park, IL

ProsIf you can build a good rappot with our customers you will make a lot of money. This company is growing and looking for strong individuals to promote.

ConsI don't see any challenges with this company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Super Fun Job

Appliance Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAwesome people to work with. Commission based so you can make a lot of money if you are a driven person. Not a lot of store up keep so there isn't very many side duties. You are babysat, as long as your numbers are good management kinda lets you do your own thing. This is a great job for a college student.

ConsRetail hours suck. Also, if you have no customers you make no money. Sometimes work can get hostile due to fights over commission. Management does little to help settle the disputes.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangers need to get on the same page as far as rules of the store i.e dress code, splitting sales, cell phones on the floor ect..

Long hours and unknown pay

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best part of the job is the coworkers. In a good store, there is a cohesive group that look out for each other. The pay can be OK when traffic is good.

ConsAll the "5% off with the HHGREGG card", "Buy More Save More", "$100 off", "Extra 10% Off" deals come directly out of the commission (to be honest, 13% comes out.) That makes it possible to actually pay the company for some sales. Negative pay.

Granted, this is a commission based position and as such the paychecks are inconstant. We are paid when a product is delivered, not when it is sold. In electronics, that might mean a 1 week delay. Selling appliances, that can be a 2-3 month delay. Since the cost basis seems to change on a near daily basis, it is impossible to know if the commissions are calculated correctly. We also have "Open Box" items that are sold at discount. We are promised a minimum commission of 3%. This is often not calculated correctly - even when every step has been followed.

Expect to get dirty. Sales Associates are responsible for cleaning and merchandising. In any group, there a few who choose to basically ignore the work and there are no repercussions. If they also happen to be one of the manager's pets, nothing is done to correct abhorrent behavior.

When the one side of the store (electronics or appliances) is expected to enter a "busy season", new employees are added so the current employees get to spend time training the new hires and seeing the same sales pie being divvied up among more hungry hands. Please notice the tag line of "best trained sales associates" is disappearing. It was always a joke.

The company has hired many managers from the outside - Sears and Circuit City experience dominate. In Chicago, Grant's has also provided many. Trying to get promoted from within is at the whim of your department manager, the general manager and regional manager. The best candidates are certainly not entertained for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTHIS IS NOT WALMART. Stop the advertising showcasing the cheap crap. Some of the recent advertising with the kids and the boxes is much better.

Stop relying on other failing chains to provide management.

We have several promotional codes that do not affect commissions - make the 5% discount non-commissionable (and cut the b---t about it adding to the basket.)

Better yet, make pay be $10/hr plus 5% of sales plus 10% of PSP sales + $10 for each new HHGregg Card + $5 for using an existing card.

Let the store managers have greater control over the scheduling. They know the local ebbs and flows better than one person in Indianapolis.

hhgregg of Orland Park IL

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Orland Park, IL

ProsFriendly employees and an environment that promoted professional growth.

Consabsolutely inefficient management and POS software which made check out time for customers a real hassle.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in new POS software

OK as a temporary gig between jobs, but pretty miserable overall.

Electronic Sales (Former Employee) Bloomingdale, IL

ProsBecause of the commission system, you can earn nice checks during the holiday season. You will work long hours, like at any retail job during the holidays, but at least you'll get paid more.

ConsAll the managers care about is their bonus. My managers would whine about not bonusing daily. The only thing they care about you doing is selling the ridiculously overpriced service plans, or PSP, which can run between 30-90% of the cost of the item! While I was working we sold a $60 tablet with a $50 PSP and we would get yelled at for not selling the coverage. Their business model is centered around lying to schmucks to get them to spend their money on over priced crap. there was at least a 50/50 chance of those $60 tablets being returned within a couple weeks, but we were expected to tell people about how great it was. We also sold a dell laptop with a celeron processor and no disc drive for $300. What is this, 1998? Plus the commission system was obviously rigged. We supposedly made 1% of total sales volume and 12% of profit, and then they'd turn around and tell us that over half the things in the store were being sold "below cost."excuse me? I don't think so. What kind of company would sell things for less than they bought them for? Clearly they were just trying to cheat us out of our commission. For example, we had a 60" Sharp tv we sold for $800, and our commission was only $8 because there was "no profit In it," so we only made 1%. Yeah, ok, sure. As a salesman, you will typically work around 50 hours a week and a lot of your time will be devoted to non-sales tasks such as cleaning, paperwork, and one time they even had me do telemarketing. Which would be fine if they offered base pay, but they don't, so you're basically free labor for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to the associates about the actual cost of products. Give salesman the ability to access the landed costs of products and the ability to discount so we don't need to get a manager involved in almost every transaction. Update the pos system so we don't need to input name, address, phone number ad email for even the smallest transaction. Start giving associates base pay or just hire hourly staff to do all the busy work and stop treating the salesmen like free labor. Also, get bent.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great opportunities but horrible pay

Operations Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- One of the best employee discounts I've ever heard of
    - With hard work, can move up

ConsUnless you have manager in your title, pay is horrid.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou expect a professional environment for people to shop in, but pay your store employees near bare minimum. Raise the ability to earn.

Used to be a good company....run by good people.

Hhgregg General Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI worked there for over 7 years and it was a great company in the beginning. Most of the managers I worked with to "move up" to the GM position are gone now. Many of them were advised to "pursue other career opportunities". Well....at least you can still make purchases of carried items at a great discount?!?

ConsCompany is being infiltrated by former Sears managers. Wonder why they were "former" Sears managers? Just work at hhgregg as a manager for a short time and you will see. You are micro-managed to the greatest extent. Everyone has a "pressure point" and you will eventually reach it. The pressure is extreme unless you are lucky enough to be in one of the few stores that exceeds their "projected" sales numbers in all categories. Don't even count on getting bonuses unless you're in one of those stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit micro-managing and "dangling" their job in front of store managers. It only adds even more pressure and is not productive.

electronic sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Proscommision pay all commision if you can sell you will be good

Consif you dont sell enough you will owe them money

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!