hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros:
  • "You have the potential to make good money"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE poor base salary, poor health insurance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week"
    in 45 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Company on a downward spiral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany great people that used to work there in all levels of management from line level, middle management, and corporate office.
    Competitive culture.

ConsSteady decreases in criteria for bonus compensation.
    Steady decreases in incentives and pay for the line-level sales employees.
    Aggressive expansions with little preparation in regards to logistics and product delivery.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain the culture that made the company great to begin with. It is important to maintain this culture, even with the heavy proliferation of new corporate/middle management from another retail company that is on a downward spiral.

Invest more in store management, retain the high performers and hire high quality management candidates.

Mixed Feelings

Sales (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsThe pay CAN be good. Flexible work schedule that allows for you to take off when needed. Sales people for the most part are very cohesive with each other and help one another. As long as you are doing your job, you are not micromanaged as much as other companies(I say this having worked for 2 competitors).

ConsIf I didn't already have previous experience I would have been lost. This company lacks any real organized training. Management is underpaid and over worked and many times down right lazy. All you hear them talk about is their bonus. I was told when I got hired that this is a family focused company, yet I see parents having to bring their children into work because they needed to get them from school and couldn't have hours that allow them to do that. Let the managers make their own schedules based on their store. They are hired because you trust them with a store so treat them that way and your turnover would go down.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your entry level associates more. This company cannot function without the CSMs or sales or warehouse. Goto them for ideas rather than someone who does not interact daily with your customers. We are willing to help and talk to you but you need to be willing to listen. It seems like speaking up with ideas as a Sales associate is frowned upon. Also you need to take HR complaints more seriously before something really bad happens. There is no reason people should be quitting because nothing gets down when you talk to a manager.

Could be better

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
    Aurora, IL

ProsThe work is easy, people are somewhat friendly. The pay is good compared to some of their competitors

ConsOnly people that suck up to management are promoted. Very understaffed, so the staff is often burned out by the workload. The schedules are not made for people that HAVE and WANT to be with their families

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be better if there was more flexibility in the work schedules. If you hired more people instead of pushing people to their breaking point more people might stay.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crazy hours ridiculous draw system.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Whitehall, PA

ProsThe experience. I learned a lot about electronics and how to sell efficently.

ConsThe draw system is ridiculous you owe the company money if you dont make enough money on sales. Managers can get power hungry. Customer Service was lacking. Company did not care about employees.

How times have changed

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Pros-Discount
    - Made some really good friends

ConsThis company used to be great to work for. I was there for over 8 years. They require you to attend trainings that sometimes take 5-6 hours with no compensation, also no mileage reimbursement. The work/life balance is non existent, clueless managers who are only bonus driven. Dennis May seems completely clueless too, Ive never understood the logic of bringing in executives and high level management from failed companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the people that take care of YOUR customers. Back when this was truly a family run organization it was much better. After IPO employees get crapped on

Management is placed based on their ability to lie and cheat to save company money.

Appliance Sales (Former Employee)
    Elizabethtown, KY

ProsThe chance to make a lot of money. Elizabethtown, KY

ConsToo many employees to actually make any money. Management it more concerned with the personal life of employees then fixing issues in store. Petty and immature management, and the attempt to make sure I did not receive my final paychecks. Also, did not receive a paycheck for 1 month because management was not able to/ just didn't get my information in the system properly. Incompetency is at an all time high in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. And stop trying to cheat former and current employees out of their money. The labor board will get involved.

Only Work at hhgregg If There Is Nowhere Else To Work !

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsSelling current product in all categories
    If You drink the juice you will love it here !!!!
    Work a ton of hours to offset a tough social life
    Quick advancement (due to the large turnover )

ConsNO WORK LIFE BALANCE
    If a holiday falls on your day off - oh well tough, you now missed your day off
    Be ready to work 50 + hours a week
    Forget about the bonuses they promise ( didn't get one in a year or anyone else in the region either)
    Got to love working Thanksgiving Day - and the week prior and after ! no mercy
    You are Never scheduled a Saturday off (forget about your kids sporting activities you will miss them ALL)
    IT IS NOT CIRCUIT CITY ! no matter what they say

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of the ivory tower and spent time in the store and not just when the stores are busy
    Treat your people better and consider their family life before generating the cookie cutter work schedules.
    Balance work life and you will NOT turn so many people like you do now, just think of all the money you would save in training if you focused on keeping people !
    Furniture and Bedding are NOT the life preserver for the business.

To much free work with declining commission and decline of traffic.

Electronics Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsDecent money if you know what your do u by and don't have a family.

ConsWhere to start??? Management commissions traffic draw system having to pay back after slow traffic

Advice to Senior ManagementClose you'll never compete

Top 10 worst employer in United States

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsNone. Working for this company is not a privilege if you are looking for a workplace with pros, look somewhere else.

ConsAs an employee you have no value or actually you have negative value for the company. You will be over worked and underpaid and lied to and at the end you will be sold on the statement that you have this great opportunity. Here is company's interpretation of the opportunity: you as an employee give up your life and soul for me and I as the company will shaft you in every opportunity I get and at the end of each time I will tell you there is another one of these opportunity in the corner for you to take.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to stores and work for a week as a manager, you will find out what is wrong with your business. You have been so distanced from your stores by sticking to your office and managing the business by perception of the facts instead of managing your business by the facts that you have no idea how your stores operates, and you have been making delusional decisions base on your own biased self centered perception of the facts.

Fun place to work, but little pay

Appliance Sales (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsCool people to work with
    New technology/appliance to learn about
    Hours weren't too bad being retail
    Management was accommodating to schedules changes if coverage was available

ConsWorking for free, ie; planograms, cleaning, bring out new merchandise. If you're old you don't have to worry about missing an up while doing physical labor for no hourly rate. But if you're young, some days that all you do is work for nothing. Being 100% commission you don't get paid if you don't talk to anyone.
    Business had been pretty bad and only a few sales associates we're making more than $30k/yr

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hhgregg reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hhgregg CEO Dennis L. May. All 419 reviews posted anonymously by hhgregg employees.