hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros:
  • "You have the potential to make good money"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE poor base salary, poor health insurance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week"
    in 45 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Prepare to be told one thing and experience the opposite.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPotential to make bookoos of money if you play the game correctly.

Paid vacation.

A true work family (excluding management.)

ConsPrepare to work 60+ hours a week during the holidays and in return make less money. That's right...I made quite a bit less around Thanksgiving and Christmas because the draw you work against immediately becomes time and a half.

Management that believes that because they wear a tie they are the end all be all. Power trips are a regular occurance.

With the potential of substantial paychecks comes the reality that you could make minimum wage if you don't sell high profit (though rarely advertised) items. Protection Plans are a given in the retail sales world but they don't have the weight on your paycheck elsewhere the way they do at The Gregg. Sell them or enjoy Ramen Noodles.

Profit margins that change on a whim. You get paid 1% of cost of the item and 12% in profit margin. The profit is where you make your money so why does cost on the same item at the same sale price change week to week?

Management will dock your time in a guise that they're helping you by keeping you under 40 hours if you'll go in to draw but frankly that's illegal. If I work, I want to be credited for the entire time I'm there.

Operational tasks are required like dusting and cleaning that takes you away from the customer. You work on 100% commission so if you're not selling, you're working for free.

Speaking of working for free, prepare to go to many training classes, meetings, and sessions that you won't be paid a dime for. It's not uncommon to drive 4-5 hours to a training location to sit through a 3 hour course and then drive back...all without any compensation. That day will most likely be a workday so there's another occurance when you're off the salesfloor making no money.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain people that can thrive at this job. Those people MUST be single as they will spend no time with family, they MUST be able to sell without ever hearing the word "no" from the customer (even though you will often), and they MUST like the color red because that will be the color of the life squeezing straight jacket that you'll wear everyday..

To all current unhappy salespeople...I made it out of that black hole and you can too. It's not worth being treated poorly by both superiors and customers. I'll be waiting on the outside to greet you with a grin and open arms that say, "Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life."

Advice to Senior ManagementYour salesforce is what keeps customers coming back and spending money so why not treat that salesforce with the respect they deserve? Keep them happy and I guarantee you won't see another year where your stock drops 40%.

Not for me

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Fayetteville, NC

ProsAble to get more experience to apply for better job choices.
    Employee discount
    That's about the only positive comments I have

ConsEmpty promises. They like to dangle the carrot. Females are not pay the same compensation as males (management). I chose to leave once I finally accepted that fact.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no training. You will have no support from upper management. They change policies at a whim. I wasn't proud to say I was a manager here and that's why I left.

Sales Associate

Mays Landing, NJ

Prosschedules can be made flexable to a point

Consany hours of non compensated pay, repetitive training non paid, hours of meetings , they do not compensate employees for non selling hours as many as eight hours a week, other corporations like Sears do and I dont understand at this point how they get away with it, Even having to go to meetings and trainings on days off without any training pay.

Advice to Senior Managementcompensation for commisioned personal should be compensated I dont thin the company understands or just dosnt care about how commision sales works

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very inconsistent and lack respect for the hard working sales staff

Rockville, VA

ProsNice coworkers and the employee discount is pretty good, no other pros.

ConsTerribly run company. I was told that "hhgregg is a family company and cares for there employees" this is just not true whatsoever!
    Upper management (corporate) does not take any of the information from the sales staff that could benefit everyone seriously. It is frowned upon to give a suggestion.. Not to mention the company pays very little for the amount of work that is done..
    They try not to promote from within the company for some stupid reason and hire less qualified individuals from the competition, pathetic. The overall quality of life is very poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of both your very hard working sales team and your hard working managers whom also get paid poorly.. Stop lying to the staff about making unlimited earning potential and than hire several new people and flood the floor so everyone on commission sales makes even less money, while the company can pocket all the profit because we are not paid hourly.. It is absolutely ridiculous! Please have respect for the people who make this company run the "backbone". Otherwise you will lose some very good quality people.

Slow and monotonous

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    West Melbourne, FL

Pros"Unlimited" earnings, freedom of interactions

ConsLow traffic vs high staff numbers

Advice to Senior ManagementStop constantly changing everything and forcing employees to spend 90% of their day repeating the same busy work they've already completed that day.

Juvenile atmosphere with way too many sales people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good employee discount. Decent product training if you are part of the initial crew opening a store. Generally fun people to work with.

ConsNo training whatsoever on the POS system for sales people prior to new store opening. Manager who liked to play people off each other. General disorganization such as: Deciding how the checkouts would be run 15 minutes before opening on black Friday! Way too many sales people hired for store opening for anyone to make a decent living. Company advertises for manager in training program but does no hire people specifically for it.

hhgregg of Orland Park IL

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
    Orland Park, IL

ProsFriendly employees and an environment that promoted professional growth.

Consabsolutely inefficient management and POS software which made check out time for customers a real hassle.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in new POS software

Great

Cleveland, OH

ProsPeople (management) are great to work with and just graduated college and already am being interviewed to move up in the company. I am already in my second interview with management and at this point, am very satisfied with the process.

ConsWell, haven't really gotten into all of the benefits in order to make an informed decision; hopefully, I will get hired into management and will be able to administer benefits and make suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a fast track for employees getting ready to graduate in order to retain within the company.

Quite disappointing.

Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsIt's a job with little to say for it.

ConsThey have no effective training and NO follow through on procedures. Only the favored few have any chance. They usually have 90% turnover per year. What they

GREAT CULTURE, LOTS OF WORK, LOW PAY

ProsCulture, fun experience, great experiences, customer friendly attitudes

ConsLONG HOURS, LITTLE PAY, sales staff only makes commission

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hhgregg reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hhgregg CEO Dennis L. May. All 420 reviews posted anonymously by hhgregg employees.