hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money(in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55(in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week(in 47 reviews)

The titanic before the iceberg

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Scranton, PA

ProsNone, other then a good discount

ConsIndiana leadership completely out of touch , the worst selection of computers, worst selection of home audio...when we first started 5 years ago they had some great home audio selections...now it's worse then walmart.

No in store promotions...they promise and promise to promote you then they get fired managers from sears, staples, circuit city...people that have been with company for years get passed over , a complete slap in the face.

If you are drinking buddies or live with a sales manager that's the best way to get promoted from within the company!

Hours ever year get longer and longer....we are commission so are free labor ...no reason to open until 10 in the summer...zero customers from 8 till 930 or 10.

Can only sell electronics or appliances but not both, sales people/co workers get angry if you come to their "side" if they are busy and you make a good sale. Then they retaliate in order to get even with you as you "stole" from them.

Too many people on the sales floor and still hiring more! Sat sun and Monday 7 people both sides other days 4 people ...few people making money.

Stolen sales ...if you are on your day off or vacation any customer you have will be taken from you. there is no repercussions for this ...answer is always "they came right to the 4000.00 but did not say your name"

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people from inside , people that have been here. People that know what needs to be fixed and how to fix it.

Stop over staffing, customer walk in and see 10 people stand near the desk ....no they do not need to go clean and dust...they do not need to be there...

You have great TVs and appliances and some tables but everything else is cheap cheap cheap, bring back the good audio, sell good PC not gaming PC just Good in stock ones

Cut back on the hours ...if some one at 9:45 pm wants a 129.99 tv or a 49.99 tablet fine walmart can have them...Sears , best buy, local small stores are closed so should we also.

Don't get trapped into this losing company.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsNone. Run for your life. Don't look back.

ConsToo many hours. Sometimes you'll work as many as 70 hours without a day off. Managers come and go faster than the sales staff. No personal time. U get sick,use your vacation time. Watch your pay, they'll cheat u every chance they get. They also automatically sign you up for benefits that you declined. Every time that you call corporate you get voicemail. You'll also have to go to training events for no pay and then you are lucky if you get mileage within 3 pay checks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry working in one of your stores. Corporate is completely out of touch and has no idea what it is like to be a salesperson in one of their stores.

Very unrewarding work

Customer Service Merchandiser (Current Employee)

ProsThe pro of working for HHGregg include receiving your commission, providing that nothing regarding your transactions was screwed up by other parties involved (ie delivery/installation teams). Pros of being an hourly employee include actually being paid when there are no customers in the store, and being able to take breaks,providing that there are enough staffing hours for someone else to cover your position while on break.

ConsNumerous cons. Commissioned employees are forced to do an exuberant amount of "labor" around the store (hanging price tags, moving product, organizing planograms), for which they are not paid, and are missing the opportunity to close sales in order to get management off of their back about all of their labor-related work.
    There is no opportunity for growth within this company unless you start as a warehouse employee and they move you up to CSM or sales. Management is in a constant state of reorganization to compensate for the immense management turnover that regularly occurs. Salesmen turnover at twice the rate of management, and from one set of six months to the next, you'll likely see a change in 50% of the staffing for a single store. Hourly employees' wages are low-balled so that managers receive praise from their higher-ups, and raises are only up for discussion once a year, at the same time, every year (aka only the spring, so if you haven't been there long, you'll likely have to wait over a year for a potential $0.15 raise).
    Employees work horrendous hours for all holidays (especially the Christmas season) to compensate for being minimally staffed.
    Morale within this company is amazingly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs a larger overhaul than it has recently experienced (removing the born-into-corporate-management figures). HHgregg prides itself on "not having any debt", but that constantly means backordered product due to not enough units being purchased in advance of planned sales. Management structure is rotten, as managers are even hired with the lowest-possible salary to please upper management. This company needs to rethink its entire staffing procedure to see if they can get a few more people on board that actually appreciate the company they work for, as opposed to just settling for the job that they already know.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prepare to be told one thing and experience the opposite.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPotential to make bookoos of money if you play the game correctly.

Paid vacation.

A true work family (excluding management.)

ConsPrepare to work 60+ hours a week during the holidays and in return make less money. That's right...I made quite a bit less around Thanksgiving and Christmas because the draw you work against immediately becomes time and a half.

Management that believes that because they wear a tie they are the end all be all. Power trips are a regular occurance.

With the potential of substantial paychecks comes the reality that you could make minimum wage if you don't sell high profit (though rarely advertised) items. Protection Plans are a given in the retail sales world but they don't have the weight on your paycheck elsewhere the way they do at The Gregg. Sell them or enjoy Ramen Noodles.

Profit margins that change on a whim. You get paid 1% of cost of the item and 12% in profit margin. The profit is where you make your money so why does cost on the same item at the same sale price change week to week?

Management will dock your time in a guise that they're helping you by keeping you under 40 hours if you'll go in to draw but frankly that's illegal. If I work, I want to be credited for the entire time I'm there.

Operational tasks are required like dusting and cleaning that takes you away from the customer. You work on 100% commission so if you're not selling, you're working for free.

Speaking of working for free, prepare to go to many training classes, meetings, and sessions that you won't be paid a dime for. It's not uncommon to drive 4-5 hours to a training location to sit through a 3 hour course and then drive back...all without any compensation. That day will most likely be a workday so there's another occurance when you're off the salesfloor making no money.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain people that can thrive at this job. Those people MUST be single as they will spend no time with family, they MUST be able to sell without ever hearing the word "no" from the customer (even though you will often), and they MUST like the color red because that will be the color of the life squeezing straight jacket that you'll wear everyday..

To all current unhappy salespeople...I made it out of that black hole and you can too. It's not worth being treated poorly by both superiors and customers. I'll be waiting on the outside to greet you with a grin and open arms that say, "Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life."

Advice to Senior ManagementYour salesforce is what keeps customers coming back and spending money so why not treat that salesforce with the respect they deserve? Keep them happy and I guarantee you won't see another year where your stock drops 40%.

Horrifying, terrible, disgusting.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Madison, TN

ProsBeing able to write your own paycheck, if customers actually came into the place.
    Lazy managers.

ConsBEING STRAIGHT COMMISSION, UNLESS OF COURSE YOU DONT MAKE 300 A WEEK THEN YOU GET PAID "draw" WHICH IS 300$ a week, and EVEN THEN, that MONEY COMES OUT OF YOUR NEXT CHECK! the company uses they're straight commission employees to do free work WITHOUT OVERHEAD and should be recognized for this immediatly! They treat you like slaves. They don't care about the commission employees they're just free work to the company.
    Having to do managers work, getting paid nothing hourly to do so. Having to deal with customer issues, returns hitting your check negatively. And the fact that they are constantly changing the pay scale and they make you work the hour before you even have a chance to sell anything, being on commission only means your now they're personal slave, often times managers speak to you like a dog.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more responsible managers, and ATLEAST make it where
    You don't have to pay draw back.

Long hours and unknown pay

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best part of the job is the coworkers. In a good store, there is a cohesive group that look out for each other. The pay can be OK when traffic is good.

ConsAll the "5% off with the HHGREGG card", "Buy More Save More", "$100 off", "Extra 10% Off" deals come directly out of the commission (to be honest, 13% comes out.) That makes it possible to actually pay the company for some sales. Negative pay.

Granted, this is a commission based position and as such the paychecks are inconstant. We are paid when a product is delivered, not when it is sold. In electronics, that might mean a 1 week delay. Selling appliances, that can be a 2-3 month delay. Since the cost basis seems to change on a near daily basis, it is impossible to know if the commissions are calculated correctly. We also have "Open Box" items that are sold at discount. We are promised a minimum commission of 3%. This is often not calculated correctly - even when every step has been followed.

Expect to get dirty. Sales Associates are responsible for cleaning and merchandising. In any group, there a few who choose to basically ignore the work and there are no repercussions. If they also happen to be one of the manager's pets, nothing is done to correct abhorrent behavior.

When the one side of the store (electronics or appliances) is expected to enter a "busy season", new employees are added so the current employees get to spend time training the new hires and seeing the same sales pie being divvied up among more hungry hands. Please notice the tag line of "best trained sales associates" is disappearing. It was always a joke.

The company has hired many managers from the outside - Sears and Circuit City experience dominate. In Chicago, Grant's has also provided many. Trying to get promoted from within is at the whim of your department manager, the general manager and regional manager. The best candidates are certainly not entertained for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTHIS IS NOT WALMART. Stop the advertising showcasing the cheap crap. Some of the recent advertising with the kids and the boxes is much better.

Stop relying on other failing chains to provide management.

We have several promotional codes that do not affect commissions - make the 5% discount non-commissionable (and cut the b---t about it adding to the basket.)

Better yet, make pay be $10/hr plus 5% of sales plus 10% of PSP sales + $10 for each new HHGregg Card + $5 for using an existing card.

Let the store managers have greater control over the scheduling. They know the local ebbs and flows better than one person in Indianapolis.

hhgregg of Orland Park IL

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Orland Park, IL

ProsFriendly employees and an environment that promoted professional growth.

Consabsolutely inefficient management and POS software which made check out time for customers a real hassle.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in new POS software

Not for me

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Fayetteville, NC

ProsAble to get more experience to apply for better job choices.
    Employee discount
    That's about the only positive comments I have

ConsEmpty promises. They like to dangle the carrot. Females are not pay the same compensation as males (management). I chose to leave once I finally accepted that fact.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no training. You will have no support from upper management. They change policies at a whim. I wasn't proud to say I was a manager here and that's why I left.

Great

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsPeople (management) are great to work with and just graduated college and already am being interviewed to move up in the company. I am already in my second interview with management and at this point, am very satisfied with the process.

ConsWell, haven't really gotten into all of the benefits in order to make an informed decision; hopefully, I will get hired into management and will be able to administer benefits and make suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a fast track for employees getting ready to graduate in order to retain within the company.

Quite disappointing.

Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsIt's a job with little to say for it.

ConsThey have no effective training and NO follow through on procedures. Only the favored few have any chance. They usually have 90% turnover per year. What they

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!