hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money(in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55(in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week(in 46 reviews)

I was mislead om the first interview up and until my last day.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsLearned about the products / discounts on products.

ConsAbove store personnel will tell you anything to get you on board then deny when questioned.
    This company does NOT value you or any of its associates.
    if an item goes on sale less than what you pay at your normal discounted price you will be required to pay the higher amount.
    Personal time does not exist at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get sucked in! During the multiple interviews you will be told that the company is a family valued company however it is a totally different story once on board.
    You will be told how Bonuses are very obtainable as long as you run your business. This is not correct! I have seen budgets change the daily depending on if you beat you budget the day before.

In-store associate

ProsIt is a fairly easy job if you are good with people..a great company to shop at, a bad one to work for

ConsThe company does not care at all about their employees. Constantly tell you things the contradict with what they actually do. Mandatory unpaid training twice a week for an hour each time and twice a year unpaid training at an outside location that could be up to 3 hours away and is 8 hours long. Do NOT know how the company is allowed to require travel and a full day of training and not pay you a dime.

Sales Manager

ProsYou make your salary and it's good that way

Consnone really if you can sell

Advice to Senior Managementa lot of movement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK as a temporary gig between jobs, but pretty miserable overall.

Electronic Sales (Former Employee) Bloomingdale, IL

ProsBecause of the commission system, you can earn nice checks during the holiday season. You will work long hours, like at any retail job during the holidays, but at least you'll get paid more.

ConsAll the managers care about is their bonus. My managers would whine about not bonusing daily. The only thing they care about you doing is selling the ridiculously overpriced service plans, or PSP, which can run between 30-90% of the cost of the item! While I was working we sold a $60 tablet with a $50 PSP and we would get yelled at for not selling the coverage. Their business model is centered around lying to schmucks to get them to spend their money on over priced crap. there was at least a 50/50 chance of those $60 tablets being returned within a couple weeks, but we were expected to tell people about how great it was. We also sold a dell laptop with a celeron processor and no disc drive for $300. What is this, 1998? Plus the commission system was obviously rigged. We supposedly made 1% of total sales volume and 12% of profit, and then they'd turn around and tell us that over half the things in the store were being sold "below cost."excuse me? I don't think so. What kind of company would sell things for less than they bought them for? Clearly they were just trying to cheat us out of our commission. For example, we had a 60" Sharp tv we sold for $800, and our commission was only $8 because there was "no profit In it," so we only made 1%. Yeah, ok, sure. As a salesman, you will typically work around 50 hours a week and a lot of your time will be devoted to non-sales tasks such as cleaning, paperwork, and one time they even had me do telemarketing. Which would be fine if they offered base pay, but they don't, so you're basically free labor for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to the associates about the actual cost of products. Give salesman the ability to access the landed costs of products and the ability to discount so we don't need to get a manager involved in almost every transaction. Update the pos system so we don't need to input name, address, phone number ad email for even the smallest transaction. Start giving associates base pay or just hire hourly staff to do all the busy work and stop treating the salesmen like free labor. Also, get bent.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lost that loving feeling

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood discounts usually. *Potential* to make good money.

ConsPoor management.
    Constantly changing the commission structure to lower salesperson pay.
    While I was there, they changed the commission structure from 1.5% volume and 10% profit to 1% volume and 12% profit, to "incentivize selling profitable items", and then a few months later, raised the landed price on just about everything, thus paying salespeople less. That's a scummy move.

After the IPO, everything went downhill pretty quickly. Stopped focusing on customers and employees, and started focusing on short-term quarterly results.

Good and Bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood money when foot traffic is consistent. IF you can sell. I met Dennis May. He's pretty down to earth but I don't know if he's actually on top of everything or just trying to right a sinking ship.

ConsMore foot traffic and faster seasons mean more employees and less commission for you. Then they fire people who don't keep company goals, and the hiring process is more or less like flypaper. They throw you at the wall and if you can handle yourself you can make money, otherwise you lose out. Also they pinch pennies wherever they can to save money, usually from the commissions of people who make them all their money. You have to sell service plans, PC opts (which are nothing basically and no one is trained to do them), terrible virus protection, open box products, and way more expensive products than any customer wants to buy to make any money. I've only had success because I'm good at these things. Also upper management are incompetent. I've see more managers come and go than sales people because they aren't trained properly and have no idea what they're doing half the time; also their compensation is awful so when they wanted me to go into management right before the busiest season of the year, I had to decline because id make less money.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN MANAGERS. Half of the salespeople I know would do a better job and know the system better than most managers. PAY OPS LEADS ACTUAL MONEY. Ops leads do a managers job and deserve more than $10 an hour you cheapskates. They are managers essentially. This whole company is having issues with being stolen from left and right BY EMPLOYEES and otherwise because of STUPID DISPLAY PRACTICES BY UPPER MANAGEMENT. Employees wont steal from the company if you actually paid them and this wasn't a big scam for stock prices to go up. Which they aren't. At all.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great discount, low pay, benefits are average

ProsGreat discount, Managers were generally knowledgable, district managers have a good idea of what is going on in the store and visit regularly, nice selection of product to sell, Can earn good money if you put forth the effort. You can move up if you have some knowledge of retail.

ConsLow pay whether your in sales, operations or management, no real training for operations associates, company claims to have the best trained associates in the business - they aren't. No work / life balance. H.R. doesn't fix situations they just push it off onto the store managers. Full timers can be scheduled 30 hours per week and still be classed as full time. Vacation is blocked mid november through mid january so make sure you don't have a family. Sales associates stand around for hours waiting for customers and then grumble when the phone rings

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your managers in the same store instead of moving them around every few months and pay them more so that they are not tempted to defect to other retailers. Stores need more managers so that when 1 leaves the rest are not scrambling to keep the store running.
    Replace GM's and SM's when they leave, not wait weeks to find someone whilst you burn out the other managers and leads

Fun Job, OK pay

Electronic Sales Associate (Former Employee) Harvey, LA

Pros*Good Discount
    *Fun Work Enviroment
    *Cutting Edge Technology

Cons*Retail Hours(Nights, Weekends, Holidays)
    *Antiquated Commission (Draw vs Commission)

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation should be hourly plus commission. Employees work far too many hours to only be paid commission, especially if there is no walk in traffic. Also it sucks that employees that get paid commission only have to do as much operational work as we had to do. The operation work should be done by the hourly employees, so that the sales associates could focus more on selling, product knowledge, and development of sales tactics.

Absolutely terrible.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Newark, OH

ProsTheoretically you have the potential to make decent money. That's about it.

ConsCompletely unfocused on employees. Benefits are "OK", there are absolutely no performance incentives outside of the once a year President's club trip which is hilariously exclusive. Management is completely lost and out of touch with employees and what they need to succeed. HR department does not care about employees and let's verbal and sexual harassment fly by unpunished, even when it's a member of management doing the offending. Company is far behind the times from a technological standpoint. Priorities and goals change once a week and always conflict with each other, and there's no clear goal or mission. Commissions are often pulled right out of your pocket as a result of things you cannot control. Draw system is ruthless and perpetual during slow times at low volume stores. I would never suggest taking employment with this company. The only good thing I got out of it were relationships with the very few Co workers that stayed around (2 or 3).

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate your priorities and understand that there's only so many people you can employ. Once you run them all off, your business will collapse as it has been doing for the past five years.

Ship without a rudder

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsNice people to work with.

ConsCompany leaders have no idea what they are doing. CEO changes his mind every 10 seconds and micromanaged everyone!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a CEO that knows what he is doing.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!