hhgregg Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding but stressful

Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can be part of a great team if your management team knows what they are doing and wants to sell product the right way

Cons

Large work load, not enough time in the day, dealing with all the mess ups that happen with inventory, stock and deliveries.

to much focus on just hitting the numbers has created a culture vacuum in the company, it's not what it was, also, we need more support hours to do our jobs correctly

hhgregg has its up and down depening on management

Current Employee - Appliance Sales in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there is a chance you can make great money but sometime you dont

Cons

it is a 100% commission job so it is really stressful

i have none

Motivation and knowledge pays

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

You get to work on commission and get what you deserve. You can work with the customer on price if you have a good manager.

Cons

You get your sales stolen from people. They get half the commission if someone checks your customer out for you.

HHGregg gives you a great deal of experience and can be a fun, team based work environment with room for opportunity

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Promotion comes quickly and easily with effort and the ability and willingess to learn.
    Team environment.
    Lots of training

Cons

Hours can be pretty rough as with most retail settings, however, It is not much different from other retailers that I have worked at.

Competitive wages for sales.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Earn what you work for.

Cons

Long hours not family friendly.

Take better care of customers and your employees.

It's one thing to take care of the company's interest, but at what cost to the customers and employees.

Overworked, Underpaid; Over-promised, Under-delivered

Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager
    Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most corporate people are truly willing to help you and support the field management. Potential for advancement is real (but comes without real training)

Cons

Very long work week - minimum 50+ hours. Bonus structure changes frequently - never benefited field management. "Hidden" processes and auditing that impacts store level bonus (you lose!) Commission structure punishes associates. Corporate-regulated scheduling of management and associates - put associates into overtime - then they base the draw rate at 1.5 for ENTIRE hours (ex: 45 hrs = 45hrs @ 1.5 not just 5 hrs@ 1.5.)

Try working the schedules you dictate. Quit rewarding upper management by taking away field management bonuses. Re-structure commission pay-outs that punish the sales associates for re-rings that need to be done to satisfy a customer on an issue that was not the fault of the associate. Re-work how you charge overtime to associates - I can't believe that's even legal or ethical!

Good luck if you're a woman

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Dayton, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team environment. Good dress code, no one is allowed to look a mess. All of the direct managers I had were great.

Cons

If you're a woman they will not take you seriously for sales or management. They think you're unable to do anything but customer service and it's why I left. Horrible pay for all hourly positions.

Care about the employees you already have. Think of long term solutions. This company only cares about the short term.

100% Commission, long hours, but decent training

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

The training you get from hhgregg is very good compared to industry competitors. Every Monday-Thursday there was a morning meeting that trained you on the devices and appliances, how they worked, what they cost, how to explain the differences to the customer, etc. The sales training was comprehensive as well.

Cons

The hours are abysmal. 100% commission on draw means you get stuck doing everyday operations stuff essentially for "the right to sell." A weekly mandatory shift of 9am-930pm was not unusual. On that same day a collegue would be scheduled from 9-230. Training sessions went unpaid. Benefits were expensive.

Scheduling and cleaning. The company prides itself on having a team of experts that can provide solutions. In reality the company has a team of janitors and merchandisers that do volunteer work for 40 hours a week for the opportunity to sell an additional 20 hours in said week. Schedule more efficiently and create work tasks that focus on selling first, and store merchandising second. Focus on what makes money, as opposed to what makes you look good to your boss.

Not The best...not the worst

Current Employee - CSM in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - CSM in Fenton, MO

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to know everyone who works there.

Cons

Understaffed. Managers never want to help with difficult customers. Rarely allowed a lunch. They schedule you just under 8 hours. If you are working more than eight hours you are the only person at the desk so there is nobody to cover for you.

A once great company I can no longer recommend as an employer.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You do very little actual work. Over the course of a fifty hour work week, you'll only do ten to twelve hours of real work. The remainder of your time is spent chatting with coworkers.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, and no time off. Benefits are extremely expensive and offer little to no health coverage.

When I started with the company five years ago, I was told that the sales staff were the most important people in the company and we were treated that way. The company had high standards for its employees which we were trained to exceed. Today it seems, the company will hire anyone who can pass a drug test to fill the floor until ultimately they're fired for non performance making room for the next round of worthless employees. I recommend a return to the discipline, training, and commitment hhgregg had when I first joined the company.

hhgregg Photos