hhgregg Reviews

Reset
2.1
hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • If you study the product and go after it you will make good money here (in 24 reviews)

• The employee discount was great on some stuff (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero respect for work-life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 56 reviews)

1. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tampa Palms, FL

Pros

If you like retail a great place to be.

Cons

need more in store promotions to support certain product lines

Advice to Management

Don't promote employees that cannot sell accessories.

2. Commission Based Sales

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a good salesman you can make a lot of money. Fast Paced work environment. Exciting products.

Cons

Family owned company so advancement is limited. Changing commission structure so different products pay more or less depending on the time of year.

Advice to Management

Overall good place to work. I would offer better bonuses for top performers, and be more open to transition valuable employees to roles in the corporate offices.

3. Excellent employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallastown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallastown, PA

I have been working at hhgregg (More than 5 years)

Pros

Treat u well most of the time

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

5. Good Company

Pros

Okay pay considering commissions, good discount while working there, plenty of hours, and fair management, room to grow with the company

Cons

Some of the other employees are less than great, since the sales people are on commissions you can lose pay due to customers returning items

Advice to Management

Meet with employees regularly to receive their feedback; provide abilities for entry level employees to participate in larger, company-wide policies/promotions, like "write one of our Facebook posts" or other marketing activities

6. Warehouse associate

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fayetteville, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fayetteville, GA

I have been working at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

Seasoned warehouse associate with over ten years experience in warehousing. Known to be a team player who always gets the job done.

Cons

Looking for advancement opportunities.Looking for full-time employment.

Advice to Management

Seasoned warehouse associate looking for opportunities that offer growth and advancement.

7. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southaven, MS

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most customers are nice, coworkers are nice, and you can make some money around the holidays.

Cons

Commission paid, draw pay has to be paid back to the company if you don't make commidsion. Weak Management that are not customer friendly. You can end up losing a sale because of Management. They don't care about your time.

Advice to Management

Find Better Management, get a better commissions system for employees, treat the customers better, treat employees better.

Pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great group at store level to work with from store management to warehouse. Training used to be good, now you gotta do it yourself.

Cons

The pay. A year ago I made enough to pay the bills on time plus tuck a little away. Around September the checks got smaller. We were paid 1 per cent on volumn and 12 per cent on profit. I noticed that they were making the profit small by inflating their cost. Now our powers to be have started to pay us a percentage on volumn which range 1 per cent to 5 per cent, except the items I sold where I made $25 or $75 I now made $5 or $25 respectively. Mr. May was quoted as saying that they were controlling expenses by reducing payroll and benefits. This was to stock holders. A lot of associates have quit and everyone else is looking. They cut our pay and only want part timers (no health insurance). This will bit them in the butt because he will have people selling who know nothing about WHAT they are selling!

Advice to Management

Think more about the associates because moral is the lowest I have seen in my years at HHGregg. Also get rid of the SEARS rejects in upper management. Did not work at Sears and ain't gonna work here.

9. Go in with a Mission

Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is solid and mostly debt free. Excellent products and good service; they take care of the customer as soon as they walk in the door. Excellent earning potential if you're hungry and want it. Go in with a mission and conquer. Employee discounts.

Cons

I think it depends on how you look at it. If you go in with a good attitude and really want to help customers and be sincere, most floor salespeople will do well. When I worked there I brought in anywhere from $1200 to $2300 biweekly. NET. There are, of course, slow periods (May -August). You do work a lot of hours, standing for long periods of time and it does hurt your old feet after a while. Invest in some comfortable shoes! I think the biggest con or complaint from other salespeople was the change of commission structure. HH Gregg lowered the overall percentage on top brands, and to make good money you have to sell a lot of it and also the warranty. They're big on warranty. In fact, if your percentage of warranty is consistently low, you probably won't make it. If you just sold loss-leader products but sell the warranty, you'll make money and do well. My strategy was basically to sell everything and with warranty. I didn't try to upsell the customer all that much. Seemed to work. Other cons... I didn't like their draw structure. My view, you should get paid for being there no matter what. Somehow the company can get around the minimum-wage law and pay you but then you have to pay that back if you don't make it over the draw amount. I say give every salesperson a base salary no matter what. For example, you would get $500 every 2 weeks and plus commissions. That's how it used to be in some departments years ago. Another option would be to offer each sales member a base hourly pay and only commission only on warranty coverage.

Advice to Management

Be flexible with your team. Listen to ideas. Have respect. Pay option would be to offer each sales member a base hourly pay and only commission only warranty coverage. Offer more incentive for the sales teams.

10. Decent Full Commission Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

Seasonal commission can be very rewarding

Cons

They expect things of sales associates that you would expect of hourly paid employees like cleaning. Also when they are not busy (summer), it is not a lot of money coming in

11. Easy job

I worked at hhgregg full-time

Pros

The work is easy. The schedule is flexible and provides a good balance with my college obligations. Most of the associates are good people.

Cons

The pay is less than ideal. Management isn't competent. You almost never get raises and when you do it is a laughable 15 cents on the dollar at best. I would not recommend working here unless it is a part time or temporary type gig.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be better trained. Management was not personable and unhelpful when asked questions. They also played favorites and treated some employees better than others.

RSS Feed </> Embed