hhgregg Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
2.1

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Good Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and great opportunity to make good money.

Cons

The hours are inconvenient. Will often close the store and have to open the next day.

Make moving up in the company worthwhile financially to employees.

Appliance Sales

Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Dayton, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best sales training out there

Cons

You do not get much money from the appliance sale, your money is from selling warranty

Up the commission on appliances

You can earn a living without a degree.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

You truly make your own paycheck based off of your ability to sell the right solution to the customers.

Cons

Lack of customers into store at certain times periods within the year making some weeks a stain. Meaning one week making $1500 and the next could be $150 and that falls below the minimum wage which puts you in draw. Expected to work for "free" ... Planograms, cleaning, tagging as a part of your job "title." I've missed countless sales from these and it can be frustrating, especially on the slow weeks.

If you want work that doesn't pay done, hire hourly Warehouse or CSM so that we can stay focused on the customer and always be closing .... Also consider draw based on the pay period so that the negativity of it doesn't roll over into a new pay period. Example: $1500 first week $100 second week rolls $180 or more into the new pay period. I'm sure if you polled your employees they would feel the same. The biggest downer is web transactions .... Give our customers the ability to enter a sales person and give credit where credit is due! Some customers shop our store then sit and wait for deals to come through on the products we've sold them on, or just get timing on a promotional coupon and feel they have to buy online instead of coming back to the store. That is a lost sale taking money out of the pockets of employees and the store.

Rewarding but stressful

Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can be part of a great team if your management team knows what they are doing and wants to sell product the right way

Cons

Large work load, not enough time in the day, dealing with all the mess ups that happen with inventory, stock and deliveries.

to much focus on just hitting the numbers has created a culture vacuum in the company, it's not what it was, also, we need more support hours to do our jobs correctly

hhgregg has its up and down depening on management

Current Employee - Appliance Sales in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there is a chance you can make great money but sometime you dont

Cons

it is a 100% commission job so it is really stressful

i have none

Customer Service Merchandiser

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Downingtown, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Downingtown, PA

I worked at hhgregg part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hired me for just a summer which was much appreciated. Pay was decent (a little above minimum wage) and the work was fairly easy, if not boring.

Cons

Had to stand for long shifts with barely any breaks and some of the management was creepy. Retail just sucks in general. They kind of just threw me out there without any training, but it wasn't hard.

Let the CSMs have chair!

Good luck if you're a woman

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Dayton, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team environment. Good dress code, no one is allowed to look a mess. All of the direct managers I had were great.

Cons

If you're a woman they will not take you seriously for sales or management. They think you're unable to do anything but customer service and it's why I left. Horrible pay for all hourly positions.

Care about the employees you already have. Think of long term solutions. This company only cares about the short term.

100% Commission, long hours, but decent training

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

The training you get from hhgregg is very good compared to industry competitors. Every Monday-Thursday there was a morning meeting that trained you on the devices and appliances, how they worked, what they cost, how to explain the differences to the customer, etc. The sales training was comprehensive as well.

Cons

The hours are abysmal. 100% commission on draw means you get stuck doing everyday operations stuff essentially for "the right to sell." A weekly mandatory shift of 9am-930pm was not unusual. On that same day a collegue would be scheduled from 9-230. Training sessions went unpaid. Benefits were expensive.

Scheduling and cleaning. The company prides itself on having a team of experts that can provide solutions. In reality the company has a team of janitors and merchandisers that do volunteer work for 40 hours a week for the opportunity to sell an additional 20 hours in said week. Schedule more efficiently and create work tasks that focus on selling first, and store merchandising second. Focus on what makes money, as opposed to what makes you look good to your boss.

Overworked, Underpaid; Over-promised, Under-delivered

Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager
    Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most corporate people are truly willing to help you and support the field management. Potential for advancement is real (but comes without real training)

Cons

Very long work week - minimum 50+ hours. Bonus structure changes frequently - never benefited field management. "Hidden" processes and auditing that impacts store level bonus (you lose!) Commission structure punishes associates. Corporate-regulated scheduling of management and associates - put associates into overtime - then they base the draw rate at 1.5 for ENTIRE hours (ex: 45 hrs = 45hrs @ 1.5 not just 5 hrs@ 1.5.)

Try working the schedules you dictate. Quit rewarding upper management by taking away field management bonuses. Re-structure commission pay-outs that punish the sales associates for re-rings that need to be done to satisfy a customer on an issue that was not the fault of the associate. Re-work how you charge overtime to associates - I can't believe that's even legal or ethical!

Competitive wages for sales.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Earn what you work for.

Cons

Long hours not family friendly.

Take better care of customers and your employees.

It's one thing to take care of the company's interest, but at what cost to the customers and employees.

hhgregg Photos