hhgregg Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for. Great discount an flexible hours.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hilliard, OH

I worked at hhgregg part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount, new electronics, and easy work.

Cons

Working holidays and cannot move up.

Great

Current Employee - Appliance Sales  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have a chance to make alot of money. Great employee discount and they sale you up to become a great salesman

Cons

one of the challenges of working at hhgregg is the long retail hours and sometime the manager.

cashiers and warehouse need more hours and more workers.

not all that great

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

alot of money to be made when its busy

Cons

no much can be made when its slow and are required to do alot of mundane task for time that you are not paid for

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough place to work

Current Employee - Appliance Sales
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can make decent money. All were full time so no part timers coming in and scooping up sales and not doing side work.

Cons

Felt used and abused. Do not treat their employees with respect. Lots of training but it is usually at bad times and you have no choice wether to go.

learn how to treat your people. I interviewed for a managers position at the proding of my store manager. Was ask why I wanted the position of Manager in training. I said I didn't. He ask me why and I told him because I saw how badly they treated their managers especially the MITs.

A downward spiral for a salesman on commission from where it used to be.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  North Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Knoxville, TN

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Warranty pays ok if you can reach 1650.00 in a week. Can win products online in different ways and vendor contests.

Cons

Commission structure is heading in the wrong direction. Low commission on many items. Training trips take 1 of your 2 days off and get paid NOTHING! Lots of building and moving the store around all the time because warehouse can never do it. Alot of cleaning and dusting in work clothes while you burn up in the summer and the buildings are set on 75 degrees with customers complaining.Managers are short lived and quit frequently.Thanksgiving and Christmas doesn't even feel like a family holiday. CSM employees don't get paid enough along with warehouse. A great amount of things are never in stock. And always a whole lot of tagging and preparing the store daily is frustrating.

Help the commission get back to where it was. If you are going to cut warehouse then get someone else to help with roll outs.Find a way to keep managers around.More items need to be in stock every day.Pay CSM and warehouse better.Pay these people for training trips when they leave town and take 1 of their days off. Less than 30 cents a mile on traveling doesn't cut it.

Salespeople are nice. store looks nice. they have good products.

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

sales staff is nice and works together. They have the best sales pricing and delivery is wonderful.

Cons

Managers are not motivating just condescending. There is no motivation for improvement because it is a good old boys club and they all stick together. The hours are long and the money is not worth the long hours. It is sad because it could be a cool place to work if they had more traffic and management could lighten up. I think management is under a lot of corporate pressure.

Treat your commission sales people like you are paying them hourly. Release them when it is slow. hold them accountable for goals and help them but don't hover over them and ask them why they did not sell each sale. Respect your salespeople and trust that they can do the job. Remember that they are commission and let them have some fun if no one is in the store after all no one is getting paid then. Keep paper for the copier and tissues in stock.

A company in change.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Game plan solid. More detailed training then anyone in the industry.

Cons

Too much turn over in upper management. Many clear tasks but no clear direction. Treats store management poorly. Low pay and too many hours. Not a family friendly company.

Why do you train the best sales force and then take money out of their pockets by price matching everyone. Did you forget they're commissioned. Where the value for them to have all the knowledge and get paid like a clerk?

Not a place for everyone

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Decent pay at times, mainly during holidays

Cons

Full Commission, Constant changes, and a lot of turnover

Worse Paying Company I ever had the displeasure working for

Former Employee - Appliance Sales
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good first line Management, Great Co-workers made the long hours less painful

Cons

Company uses commission employees as free labor as they cut the hours of hourly employees to few and few hours. Have a horrible commission rate base on a ever changing Lane cost price. On average you make only
     1.5 % commission rate. You don't get paid until the product is delivered and there are not stop issues in getting the correct pay.

Get OUT and fine a better company to work for. Get rid of the CEO and all upper management because they have no clue that their front line staff is the only thing that will save this company.

Company Leaders did not follow up on what was promised in job offer.

Former Employee - MIT  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - MIT in Atlanta, GA

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sales people are 100% Commissioned, your knowledge, Sales Skills, and ability to close the sale help determine your income.

Cons

The commissions on the electronics items are too small for product knowledge, and time you have to spend to close the sale, also poor inventory levels on laptops, desk tops and promotional tv's. Also if customer makes a return in two weeks its your commission has to be paid back to the company.

Need more training on selling Beds and Furniture, also if you are going to sell furniture, need to have wider assortment, to apeal to female shoppers, cant all look like "man cave" furniture, manly brown and dull colors, need to remember that 80% of decisions on purchases for the home are made by females.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!