hhgregg Reviews

Reset
2.1
hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • If you study the product and go after it you will make good money here (in 24 reviews)

• The employee discount was great on some stuff (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero respect for work-life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 56 reviews)

1. Good Company

Pros

Okay pay considering commissions, good discount while working there, plenty of hours, and fair management, room to grow with the company

Cons

Some of the other employees are less than great, since the sales people are on commissions you can lose pay due to customers returning items

Advice to Management

Meet with employees regularly to receive their feedback; provide abilities for entry level employees to participate in larger, company-wide policies/promotions, like "write one of our Facebook posts" or other marketing activities

2. Warehouse associate

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fayetteville, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fayetteville, GA

I have been working at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

Seasoned warehouse associate with over ten years experience in warehousing. Known to be a team player who always gets the job done.

Cons

Looking for advancement opportunities.Looking for full-time employment.

Advice to Management

Seasoned warehouse associate looking for opportunities that offer growth and advancement.

3. Go in with a Mission

Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is solid and mostly debt free. Excellent products and good service; they take care of the customer as soon as they walk in the door. Excellent earning potential if you're hungry and want it. Go in with a mission and conquer. Employee discounts.

Cons

I think it depends on how you look at it. If you go in with a good attitude and really want to help customers and be sincere, most floor salespeople will do well. When I worked there I brought in anywhere from $1200 to $2300 biweekly. NET. There are, of course, slow periods (May -August). You do work a lot of hours, standing for long periods of time and it does hurt your old feet after a while. Invest in some comfortable shoes! I think the biggest con or complaint from other salespeople was the change of commission structure. HH Gregg lowered the overall percentage on top brands, and to make good money you have to sell a lot of it and also the warranty. They're big on warranty. In fact, if your percentage of warranty is consistently low, you probably won't make it. If you just sold loss-leader products but sell the warranty, you'll make money and do well. My strategy was basically to sell everything and with warranty. I didn't try to upsell the customer all that much. Seemed to work. Other cons... I didn't like their draw structure. My view, you should get paid for being there no matter what. Somehow the company can get around the minimum-wage law and pay you but then you have to pay that back if you don't make it over the draw amount. I say give every salesperson a base salary no matter what. For example, you would get $500 every 2 weeks and plus commissions. That's how it used to be in some departments years ago. Another option would be to offer each sales member a base hourly pay and only commission only on warranty coverage.

Advice to Management

Be flexible with your team. Listen to ideas. Have respect. Pay option would be to offer each sales member a base hourly pay and only commission only warranty coverage. Offer more incentive for the sales teams.

5. Decent Full Commission Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

Seasonal commission can be very rewarding

Cons

They expect things of sales associates that you would expect of hourly paid employees like cleaning. Also when they are not busy (summer), it is not a lot of money coming in

6. Easy job

I worked at hhgregg full-time

Pros

The work is easy. The schedule is flexible and provides a good balance with my college obligations. Most of the associates are good people.

Cons

The pay is less than ideal. Management isn't competent. You almost never get raises and when you do it is a laughable 15 cents on the dollar at best. I would not recommend working here unless it is a part time or temporary type gig.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be better trained. Management was not personable and unhelpful when asked questions. They also played favorites and treated some employees better than others.

7. Pick a high volume store...

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at hhgregg (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid high commission percentages. And employee discount.

Cons

You work on a draw system

8. CSM

Former Employee - CSM in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - CSM in Tampa, FL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot of information about appliances/electronics

Cons

little pay, long hours, overworked, added responsibilities, aggressive environment, either rush hour customers or absolutely nobody walks in the store all day.

Advice to Management

Be Better, care about the hourly employees more and stop holding salesmen on pedestals, yes they help with sales but the whole place can't function without warehouse/cashiers.

Tough selling environment

Former Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Norridge, IL
    Former Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Norridge, IL

I worked at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

The commission system is good for good sales people in a store with lots of traffic and customers that buy big ticket items.

Cons

If your store has no traffic you will not make much money due to the commission only pay.

Advice to Management

It would be good to have a small salary base pay with additional pay coming from commission on sales.

Wasted 3 years of my life

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Florence, KY

Pros

Laid back floor. Decent benefits

Cons

Long hours, very poor commission plan, politics involved in protions

Advice to Management

Relax on floor hour requirements. When store has no customers for hours, let a few on the 10 salesman go home to thier families

Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Helping salespeople make more money is always a plus. Store manager is a great guy and knows his job well.

Cons

Upper management can be very vindictive. For a company that wants to make their mark on thinking out of the box and ingenuity, try not to hire a network of upper management from a company that is going under (SEARS).

RSS Feed </> Embed