hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros:
  • "You have the potential to make good money"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE poor base salary, poor health insurance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "long hours back stabbing thieving employees"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Potential to be great!

Electronics/Appliances Salesman (Current Employee)
Apex, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOne of the best places to work to stay up with current technology. Also the commission pay has no cap, so you can make as much as you can. And the discount is amazing.

ConsYou will work every weekend and long hours through out the week. Alot of days you won't talk to anybody, then get berated about not making sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember alot of us have families

Depends on management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Fairlawn, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMake as much money as you want as a salesman, depends on your work ethic. They have decent benefits and is usually a laid back atmosphere.

ConsI was there 7 years and the commission structure changed 3 times. Management sometimes let's the power go to their head. But that could be the same as any business. Work hours can be rough on the sales floor working 10-12 hour shifts a few times a week.

Not bad overall

I have been working at hhgregg

ProsYou get to talk to people all day. Fairly relaxed environment when business is slow. Most of the associates are pretty fun people. When the money is good, it's good.

ConsRetail schedules. Business is slow too often due to poor marketing and lack of progressive thinking. Management positions don't pay well enough to attract good candidates. Associates have to ask to be able to do even the simplest things.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your managers. They will be happier and more productive when paid properly for their time instead of pennies for a 60 hr/wk job. Let go of the micro managing. If you pay for good managers your stores will run more effectively. The purpose of having three managers per store is to have someone on the ground capable of making judgement calls for the betterment of the store, not to have a corporate robot that abides by strict guidelines no matter what is actually best in a particular situation.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good company to work for love it

Private Contractor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at hhgregg as a contractor for more than 3 years

Prosi like the pay and freedom.

Consvru could use a little advancing.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep a better eye out for your haul aways.

Positive

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of flexibility for managers to make decisions.

ConsCompany needs more managers at the store level. Sales reps often make more than managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more front line managers per store.

Sales Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

ProsYou make your salary and it's good that way

Consnone really if you can sell

Advice to Senior Managementa lot of movement

Great stepping stone

Electronic Sales Appliance Sales (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co working and management team. Discounts at landed cost is great too

ConsWhen you break down the hours and how much you really make the job isn't worth the hastle. Products just doesnt pay enough after the company went public. That must be address

Advice to Senior ManagementShift the scale of pay so guys have a chance to make good money with working 50 hrs plus a week. A lot guys dont clock in to avoid draw in slower stores..,, must be address as well.
Overall left on my own terms helped me learmed more about business and open opportunities after college so i am greatful for the experience

In-store associate

I have been working at hhgregg

ProsIt is a fairly easy job if you are good with people..a great company to shop at, a bad one to work for

ConsThe company does not care at all about their employees. Constantly tell you things the contradict with what they actually do. Mandatory unpaid training twice a week for an hour each time and twice a year unpaid training at an outside location that could be up to 3 hours away and is 8 hours long. Do NOT know how the company is allowed to require travel and a full day of training and not pay you a dime.

OK as a temporary gig between jobs, but pretty miserable overall.

Electronic Sales (Former Employee)
Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsBecause of the commission system, you can earn nice checks during the holiday season. You will work long hours, like at any retail job during the holidays, but at least you'll get paid more.

ConsAll the managers care about is their bonus. My managers would whine about not bonusing daily. The only thing they care about you doing is selling the ridiculously overpriced service plans, or PSP, which can run between 30-90% of the cost of the item! While I was working we sold a $60 tablet with a $50 PSP and we would get yelled at for not selling the coverage. Their business model is centered around lying to schmucks to get them to spend their money on over priced crap. there was at least a 50/50 chance of those $60 tablets being returned within a couple weeks, but we were expected to tell people about how great it was. We also sold a dell laptop with a celeron processor and no disc drive for $300. What is this, 1998? Plus the commission system was obviously rigged. We supposedly made 1% of total sales volume and 12% of profit, and then they'd turn around and tell us that over half the things in the store were being sold "below cost."excuse me? I don't think so. What kind of company would sell things for less than they bought them for? Clearly they were just trying to cheat us out of our commission. For example, we had a 60" Sharp tv we sold for $800, and our commission was only $8 because there was "no profit In it," so we only made 1%. Yeah, ok, sure. As a salesman, you will typically work around 50 hours a week and a lot of your time will be devoted to non-sales tasks such as cleaning, paperwork, and one time they even had me do telemarketing. Which would be fine if they offered base pay, but they don't, so you're basically free labor for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to the associates about the actual cost of products. Give salesman the ability to access the landed costs of products and the ability to discount so we don't need to get a manager involved in almost every transaction. Update the pos system so we don't need to input name, address, phone number ad email for even the smallest transaction. Start giving associates base pay or just hire hourly staff to do all the busy work and stop treating the salesmen like free labor. Also, get bent.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I was mislead om the first interview up and until my last day.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsLearned about the products / discounts on products.

ConsAbove store personnel will tell you anything to get you on board then deny when questioned.
This company does NOT value you or any of its associates.
if an item goes on sale less than what you pay at your normal discounted price you will be required to pay the higher amount.
Personal time does not exist at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get sucked in! During the multiple interviews you will be told that the company is a family valued company however it is a totally different story once on board.
You will be told how Bonuses are very obtainable as long as you run your business. This is not correct! I have seen budgets change the daily depending on if you beat you budget the day before.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hhgregg reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hhgregg CEO Dennis L. May. All 373 reviews posted anonymously by hhgregg employees.