hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros:
  • "You have the potential to make good money"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE poor base salary, poor health insurance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "long hours back stabbing thieving employees"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Depends on management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Fairlawn, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMake as much money as you want as a salesman, depends on your work ethic. They have decent benefits and is usually a laid back atmosphere.

ConsI was there 7 years and the commission structure changed 3 times. Management sometimes let's the power go to their head. But that could be the same as any business. Work hours can be rough on the sales floor working 10-12 hour shifts a few times a week.

Not bad overall

I have been working at hhgregg

ProsYou get to talk to people all day. Fairly relaxed environment when business is slow. Most of the associates are pretty fun people. When the money is good, it's good.

ConsRetail schedules. Business is slow too often due to poor marketing and lack of progressive thinking. Management positions don't pay well enough to attract good candidates. Associates have to ask to be able to do even the simplest things.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your managers. They will be happier and more productive when paid properly for their time instead of pennies for a 60 hr/wk job. Let go of the micro managing. If you pay for good managers your stores will run more effectively. The purpose of having three managers per store is to have someone on the ground capable of making judgement calls for the betterment of the store, not to have a corporate robot that abides by strict guidelines no matter what is actually best in a particular situation.

Positive

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of flexibility for managers to make decisions.

ConsCompany needs more managers at the store level. Sales reps often make more than managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more front line managers per store.

very good company to work for love it

Private Contractor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at hhgregg as a contractor for more than 3 years

Prosi like the pay and freedom.

Consvru could use a little advancing.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep a better eye out for your haul aways.

Sales Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

ProsYou make your salary and it's good that way

Consnone really if you can sell

Advice to Senior Managementa lot of movement

Great stepping stone

Electronic Sales Appliance Sales (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co working and management team. Discounts at landed cost is great too

ConsWhen you break down the hours and how much you really make the job isn't worth the hastle. Products just doesnt pay enough after the company went public. That must be address

Advice to Senior ManagementShift the scale of pay so guys have a chance to make good money with working 50 hrs plus a week. A lot guys dont clock in to avoid draw in slower stores..,, must be address as well.
Overall left on my own terms helped me learmed more about business and open opportunities after college so i am greatful for the experience

OK as a temporary gig between jobs, but pretty miserable overall.

Electronic Sales (Former Employee)
Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsBecause of the commission system, you can earn nice checks during the holiday season. You will work long hours, like at any retail job during the holidays, but at least you'll get paid more.

ConsAll the managers care about is their bonus. My managers would whine about not bonusing daily. The only thing they care about you doing is selling the ridiculously overpriced service plans, or PSP, which can run between 30-90% of the cost of the item! While I was working we sold a $60 tablet with a $50 PSP and we would get yelled at for not selling the coverage. Their business model is centered around lying to schmucks to get them to spend their money on over priced crap. there was at least a 50/50 chance of those $60 tablets being returned within a couple weeks, but we were expected to tell people about how great it was. We also sold a dell laptop with a celeron processor and no disc drive for $300. What is this, 1998? Plus the commission system was obviously rigged. We supposedly made 1% of total sales volume and 12% of profit, and then they'd turn around and tell us that over half the things in the store were being sold "below cost."excuse me? I don't think so. What kind of company would sell things for less than they bought them for? Clearly they were just trying to cheat us out of our commission. For example, we had a 60" Sharp tv we sold for $800, and our commission was only $8 because there was "no profit In it," so we only made 1%. Yeah, ok, sure. As a salesman, you will typically work around 50 hours a week and a lot of your time will be devoted to non-sales tasks such as cleaning, paperwork, and one time they even had me do telemarketing. Which would be fine if they offered base pay, but they don't, so you're basically free labor for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to the associates about the actual cost of products. Give salesman the ability to access the landed costs of products and the ability to discount so we don't need to get a manager involved in almost every transaction. Update the pos system so we don't need to input name, address, phone number ad email for even the smallest transaction. Start giving associates base pay or just hire hourly staff to do all the busy work and stop treating the salesmen like free labor. Also, get bent.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I was mislead om the first interview up and until my last day.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsLearned about the products / discounts on products.

ConsAbove store personnel will tell you anything to get you on board then deny when questioned.
This company does NOT value you or any of its associates.
if an item goes on sale less than what you pay at your normal discounted price you will be required to pay the higher amount.
Personal time does not exist at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get sucked in! During the multiple interviews you will be told that the company is a family valued company however it is a totally different story once on board.
You will be told how Bonuses are very obtainable as long as you run your business. This is not correct! I have seen budgets change the daily depending on if you beat you budget the day before.

Work here as a LAST RESORT

Electronic Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Harvey, LA

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsStaff was friendly and helpful (for the most part).

You can get items at cost.

You can get manufacturer spiffs for selling certain brands and product's which at times are more than the commission that you get.

ConsTraining ABSOLUTELY SUCKS! Wal-mart probably has a better training program which is sad. You do like a day's worth of computer trainings and then they throw you out there on the sales floor by yourself.

POS system is seriously outdated. Circa early 90's outdated.

Draw v. Commission is a really bad way to pay employee's. 1) You could potentially owe the company money just for going to work, if the customers aren't coming in and you aren't selling. 2) They make you do a lot of operational work and since you are on commission you don't get paid for that work.(Not sure how legal that is) 3) Finally you had a lot of employee's claim 'stolen sales' when another employee would sell something, which causes friction between employee's.

Constantly out of stock on popular laptops, tablets, tv's, sound systems, and other electronics. Which makes it hard to make a sale when the customers walk out and only to go buy somewhere else.

Standing around all day waiting for customers isn't productive. They overstaff like crazy and thus 85% of the day is standing on point waiting for customers to come in. They barely advertise at all thus nobody know's who they are and what they sell, and likely wont come in.

You have to pay for your own uniform ($30 for one shirt) and business cards.

SOME employee's verbally abuse store management, which can cause turmoil between staff. On my 3rd day on the floor I saw/heard two employee's verbally abuse the operational manager in front of customer's and other employee's, for simply passing a customer off to a free employee because the mgr was busy doing price tags. One employee screamed to the top of their lungs 'THAT'S DISCRIMINATION' on top of other ugly remarks. That type of behaviour is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, but that type of culture is allowed in their stores. Those two employees were never fired by the DM or the SM because they were in apart of the president's club. (most likely just written up; and given a slap on the wrist)

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to executive management is this:

There is a reason why I only worked for HH Gregg for only 13 days. Draw v. Commission being my biggest gripe. But to have no customer's walking in, being completely overstaffed, ON TOP OF having little to no inventory, is the reason why I left so early. Nobody can make any money with all of this. Fix all of this! Also fix your horrid training program. For a company that supposedly has ' the best trained employee's ' that couldn't be farther from the truth. Fix these issues and you could have better employees like myself or the former employee from Orlando and better things for your company will come your way.

terrible company to work for

Home Theater Specialist (Current Employee)
Huntsville, AL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

ProsYou have the potential to make good money. Laid back work environment for the most part. Good training. Decent career opportunities.

ConsProducts have less and less profit year after year so harder to make good money. Only way to really make money is to be good at selling their overpriced Premium Service Plans. Have to rely on bait and switch schemes and feasting on uneducated customers. Managers are never on the same page. Every associate has to work every single Saturday. Employees steal your sales.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hhgregg reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hhgregg CEO Dennis L. May. All 371 reviews posted anonymously by hhgregg employees.