hhgregg

hhgregg Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May

Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money(in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55(in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week(in 47 reviews)

Typical retail, high management turnover

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat working with products that fill your home, decent discount.

ConsBonuses are rarely made. You have to beat sales goals with declining traffic and smaller margins. No accountability by delivery, install or credit - it all falls back on the store managers who have minimal to no contact or power over those issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees- even the best associates have a hard time making a decent living. Base salary for managers should be increased even if that means lowering the bonus potential- bonuses are rarely earned -

Decent company, big talk, small gain.

Home Theater Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is pretty good, if you are staying on top of your sales and doing the little things.
    You can pretty much control your experience, given you don't have crazy managers.
    It does have a certain professional feel to the sales floor.
    Holidays can be great for making extra money.

ConsFull commission can be a problem when dealing with you colleagues.
    Forced long hours, that puts you into draw (which pretty much means you owe the company back and you make minimum wage until you do.)
    Weekdays sometimes feel pointless (no traffic no money)
    Favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementReally pay attention to who you are hiring as the managers, I have had a very good experience and a very bad one with the managers. Promote from within and you will establish loyalty from the managers. It has been a while since I work here, but the draw system should be lowered to a more attainable amount when not working long hours.

Love this company!

ProsThe sky is the limit! You will get out of hhgregg, what you put in! If you work hard and

ConsNone! I absolutely love this company!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

is what it is

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Racine, WI

ProsAbility to move up in the company if relocatable, you get paid for what you sell.

ConsThe pay sucks if the traffic sucks that's exactly what it comes down to. If you're in a high traffic stores you'll make good money, if not expect to make minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved in your associates sales and help them close, don't be lazy.

Electronic Sales Specialist

ProsExperience, Customer Service, Associates, Hands On Training

ConsTerrible Commission Pay, Horrible Management, No Room To Grow In Company

My experience at hhgregg has certainly been one of learning.

Appliance Sales (Current Employee) Glen Burnie, MD

ProsOpportunity for personal growth: there is guidance when you seek it. No cap on how much you can potentially make. Relaxed but professional culture, focused on customer service more and more. Excellent employee purchase discount. Resources readily available for whatever your needs may be.

ConsLack of consistency, from managers constantly shifting store-to-store; policies and policy enforcement. The draw vs commission pay system: if your commissions don't add up to minimum wage for your hours, hhgregg covers the difference (draw); you will never be paid under $7.5 hourly. However, your next commissions check above $7.5 hourly, they will take as much as they can back of the difference each check until that "draw" amount is paid back. Inconsistent work schedules make life outside of work difficult to balance. Lack of paid sick days. Shifting responsibilities, even towards operational aspects and even warehouse, which we do not get paid for. You only get paid on sales closed, not the effort you spend with the customer working trying to close. Lack of consistent offerings on how to better yourself as a salesperson- you have to be very aggressive about getting the help you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift arrangement instead of the A, B, C, D template you follow. Offer paid sick leave, and be more lenient on sick days if associate can provide doctor's note. Change pay system- we shouldn't have to pay back our minimum wage hourly. Establish one-on-one development times between each associate with their respective direct manager to evaluate ways to improve (NOT simply looking at a score on a sheet, or performance numbers alone to criticize them about). Coach techniques, use morning meeting time to arrange practice pitches with associates adapting to selling plans; there's too much "words on paper" but not as much guidance relating to how to really put them in practice in a natural flow. It's kind of sink-or-swim teaching techniques.

Appliances Sale

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNice fellow employees, latest appliances,

ConsInternet mailings to customers with special discounts coupons really hurt the sales staff in making any money

Immaturity and Boredom Set In

Electronics Sales Associate (Former Employee) Evansville, IN

ProsThis job is for people who like to act like they are in high school

ConsThis is a joke of a job

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you are in high school.

Good initiative, bad judgment.

Appliance Sales Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- Fun working with so many customers
    - Exciting teaching sales associates how to make more money; directly influencing their paychecks.

Cons- Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55+hours.
    - Manager (Salaried) Compensation is horrendous compared to market average.
    - Monthly bonus for managers is quite impossible to max out on in today's market.
    - Commission structure is poor (1% on Volume, 12% on Profit, 8%-22% on Service Plans - %based on amount sold weekly)
    - Company has no clear goals

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in another manager per building to reduce some of the stress on your managers. You expect three people in the building to do the job of nine for sub-par pay.

Disappointing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally can not think of any, really!

ConsNo desire to change their old school culture and mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk about caring about your associates, actually show it. No appreciation along w/ a good dose of "this is the way we've done it forever, and if you don't like it, then just move along."

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!