hhgregg Reviews

Reset
2.1
hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • If you study the product and go after it you will make good money here (in 24 reviews)

• The employee discount was great on some stuff (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero respect for work-life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 56 reviews)

1. Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

The people are usually friendly.

Cons

More calls than one person can handle.There are 10 stores that roll over their calls plus calls from staff at stores to check stock, alter invoices, and transfer over customer service issues. Responsible for answering calls from delivery teams (7-15 trucks daily) calling their customers to alert time of delivery/ handling service issues/rescheduling, typing tickets for damages/ call and schedule factory service call; automated calls go out every 2 hours for next day customers/ all must call to verify address-phone numbers/reschedule if needed/give instructions for delivery process/average 120-150 deliveries per day/answer calls for same day customers/ assist customers at window for pick ups ; assist drivers with dock assignments for drop offs; get morning reports out by assigned times;research next days deliveries;file daily paperwork. There is no relief so you do not get a break to go to the bathroom nor get a lunch. Accepted practice by management

Advice to Management

Get at least one more person per shift to handle the calls. We could offer better customer service and increase customer satisfaction.At the end of the day, we want to feel like we made a difference in our customer's lives.

2. Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Helping salespeople make more money is always a plus. Store manager is a great guy and knows his job well.

Cons

Upper management can be very vindictive. For a company that wants to make their mark on thinking out of the box and ingenuity, try not to hire a network of upper management from a company that is going under (SEARS).

3. Excellent Opportunity to Gain Understanding in Sales

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time

Pros

The employees I worked with were phenomenal! I wasn't convinced I would enjoy the position my first day but I gave it time and I worked to become better. After 2 weeks, I enjoyed my job and the challenge of selling products to customers on commission. The GM and the Sales manager are two of the best guys I know. If you are confident in talking to people and like the idea of an opportunity to learn a great deal about sales(or are younger and looking for a job that pays pretty well with a great work environment) I highly suggest giving the HHGREGG in Terre Haute a try.

Cons

I loved the store in Terre Haute but outside of Terre Haute I would advise anyone who applies to ask questions during the interview and early into the job (should you accept) to make sure the people you work with have good character. I moved from Terre Haute and was highly dissappointed to not be transferred due to what was called a miscommunication between myself and the regional manager. No grudges, but a lack of integrity in higher positions in the corporation towards lower level employees is something I would like to see changed in the future. When you say something, follow through with it.

Advice to Management

Local management was great, I'm thankful for the opportunity. Like I mentioned earlier, if you see an opening in Terre Haute, take advantage of it. Great local management and an excellent opportunity to grow in your own business career.

5. sales

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

management, schedule flexibility, coworkers and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

short supply of products to sell, hours of operation are too long

Advice to Management

get out of tablets and small electronics

Review everything before accepting

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Very easy to advance to GM position. Employee discount is decent.

Cons

Long hours(50+ per week, even more during holiday weeks). impossible bonus structure, so make sure its worth it with just the base salary. Terrible corporate managment. No transparancy. Recent change to salesperson pay are terrible. I hope they change it back when the make up the millions Sam Johnson lost

Advice to Management

Better bonus structure. Better communication with store management from corporate. More hourly help capabilities

7. Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bedford Park, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bedford Park, IL

I worked at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the fact that we worked as a team . Everyone was willing to help the ones who needed it the most.

Cons

The only con I have is that the position was seasonal

Advice to Management

I appreciate all the hard work and effort you all put in at HH Gregg .. My only advice would be to keep up the good work

8. Nice place to work for a short time

Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule Great Service to customers.

Cons

Not enough work satisfaction. Not well-defined roles..

Advice to Management

Please be very careful about how you dole out the roles and what you tell an employee they will be doing. In addition make sure new employees get proper training.

General Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Lots of room to grow. Those who stand out and excel in their positions are offered bigger we and better opportunities.

Cons

Holiday hours can be taxing but that is the nature of retail. Changes to schedules and adjustments are always last minute.

Advice to Management

When doing extended hours we should cascade that information down to the team well in advance so that managers, hourly, and sales can plan accordingly.

10. Not The Best But Not The Worst...

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Good People, Some Individual Freedom

Cons

Hours (Normal Retail), Far To Much Change,

an OK place to work

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at hhgregg (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount, family type workplace. Overall not a bad place to work for you can definitely make money.

Cons

Probably the biggest con is the commission change that took place, for a new person money would be good, but for someone that has been there not so much.

Advice to Management

Change the commission structure back to what it was before you lose all your great employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed