hhgregg

Updated November 25, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

You can earn a living without a degree.

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

You truly make your own paycheck based off of your ability to sell the right solution to the customers.

Cons

Lack of customers into store at certain times periods within the year making some weeks a stain. Meaning one week making $1500 and the next could be $150 and that falls below the minimum wage which puts you in draw. Expected to work for "free" ... Planograms, cleaning, tagging as a part of your job "title." I've missed countless sales from these and it can be frustrating, especially on the slow weeks.

If you want work that doesn't pay done, hire hourly Warehouse or CSM so that we can stay focused on the customer and always be closing .... Also consider draw based on the pay period so that the negativity of it doesn't roll over into a new pay period. Example: $1500 first week $100 second week rolls $180 or more into the new pay period. I'm sure if you polled your employees they would feel the same. The biggest downer is web transactions .... Give our customers the ability to enter a sales person and give credit where credit is due! Some customers shop our store then sit and wait for deals to come through on the products we've sold them on, or just get timing on a promotional coupon and feel they have to buy online instead of coming back to the store. That is a lost sale taking money out of the pockets of employees and the store.

Not family oriented

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Semi good pay. Opportunity to move up

Cons

Struck attendance policy. Required to work unless under a state of emergency

Awesome except for the pay

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the people i work with and the discount is great

Cons

the pay sucks horribly, raises are offensive

upper level managment, pay attention to who you hire, store level mgmt, mine are lazy

Overall Good Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and great opportunity to make good money.

Cons

The hours are inconvenient. Will often close the store and have to open the next day.

Make moving up in the company worthwhile financially to employees.

Appliance Sales

Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Dayton, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best sales training out there

Cons

You do not get much money from the appliance sale, your money is from selling warranty

Up the commission on appliances

The Gregg

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HHGregg has opportunity to be a great company to work for. As a manager you manage a diverse mix of products, services, commission salesmen, operations staff, and are enabled to solve problems without interference from upper management. This in my mind is a great place to develop as a manager if you can handle the constant change.

Cons

Its retail, long hours with very little reward or just enough of a reward to keep you afloat.

The constant shifting of the philosophy of our company and the overall turnover among your peers has a negative affect on your outlook for the company. The strength of HHGregg used to be that as a manager we could effectively make decisions which appears to eroding. The culture is changing.

Teach your managers how to interpret the Ultimate Price Kiosk, don't just put it in the store.

There are times that as a sales manager/general manager you should have the fundamental ability to ask a customer what it will take to earn their business. Upper management speaks out of both sides of their mouths, don't do this, do this and then when you make a good decision based in metrics and is sound, don't crush us. The kiosk should be a good enabler and good for the culture of the company. However give the managers the ability to be involved in closing the sale, give us the flexibility to earn that business if, metrics substantiate our decisions.

If not our competitors will.

Not my favorite job.

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Easy work when selling. Name brand products. 401k match. Hour lunch. Met a lot of people I really liked.

Cons

Low commission s on product. Must sell warranties to make money. Management changes like the weather. Unpaid training and meetings. Poor inventory control.

Mgt is beyond help.

Strangely relaxed environment but a terrible company over all to work for

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, pretty good discount, no (real) consequences to anything, pay can be decent if you take the time and effort to learn your products (or you can just lie, that works too).

Cons

The company as a whole is pretty spineless. They have policies that everyone talks about but never enforces (both with employees and customers). In addition many people have very twisted values and take sales from other employees which of course management does nothing about.

The management is literally encouraged to know as little as possible and to rely on everyone else, mostly the hourly staff. Management refuses to be involved in customer interactions (both problems and sales) and expects everyone else to handle it. The managers in training are treated terribly.They are not given proper training and are usually thrown to the wolves for the hourly staff to train.

As far as sales go the commission structure is constantly changing, typically in a negative way. Many of the products the company sells have no profit in them so you make at best $4. The weekly training's are a joke. They are often times skipped in favor of hanging out (or whatever management does before the store opens). There are also quarterly mandatory unpaid day long training's that you are expected to attend on your day off.

Educate your staff on how to sell products and service plans without lying. Also, stop pretending like
    And for the love god, please listen to your hourly staff! They put up with a lot to make your lives easier with no appreciation.

Variable commissions, abysmal pay for hourly and salary

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the store you're in, commission sales positions can be extremely lucrative. Many sales associates make $70,000 or more for selling TVs and appliances. With it being a retail job, it's easy to get your foot in the door with little to no experience. No college degree required.

Cons

If you're in a low volume store in a crappy area, you won't make good commissions. Any non-commission associate gets screwed on their pay. Hourly warehouse/customer service reps are paid less than they'd make at McDonald's and are worked MUCH harder. Manager pay requires you to make bonus for it to be at all worthwhile. Bonus is based on your performance compared to the previous year. So if your store did really well last year, say goodbye to bonus this year. I was regularly making less as a manager than many of my sales associates. This is compounded by the fact that prices and profit for products across the board are dropping every year making it even harder to hit your goals. It's retail, so hours are obviously terrible, but HHGregg tries to compete with the big retailers like Best Buy and Walmart with a quarter of the work force. This means sales associates are regularly scheduled for 45 or more hours and managers are regularly scheduled 50+. This increases pretty dramatically during the holidays.

Take better care of your non-commission employees. Hourly associates and managers are asked to take on a LOT of responsibility and they aren't compensated anywhere near what they should be. This leads to high turnover and sub par performance. The good employees won't stick around because they're not paid what they're worth. The employees that are ok with their pay aren't going to be the ones that you want to keep.

Customer Service Merchandiser

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Downingtown, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Downingtown, PA

I worked at hhgregg part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hired me for just a summer which was much appreciated. Pay was decent (a little above minimum wage) and the work was fairly easy, if not boring.

Cons

Had to stand for long shifts with barely any breaks and some of the management was creepy. Retail just sucks in general. They kind of just threw me out there without any training, but it wasn't hard.

Let the CSMs have chair!