hhgregg

Updated December 18, 2014
2.1

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • Great company to work for and great opportunity to make good money (in 24 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Its retail, long hours with very little reward or just enough of a reward to keep you afloat (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Company culture changed

Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

enjoyed the people I worked with

Cons

Company went "public" and the culture changed overnight. No longer a "family" business. Used to run a store like your own business then it became an HR-run company with newly acquired Sears execs.

Don't change the pay structure when people start making money. When people make money that is only good for the company.

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

benefits, coworkers, work environment, coworkers, coworkers

Cons

pay, type of work, compensation, management, company

work-life balance, compensation, perks

Sales associate

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Commission job and able to work overtime

Cons

Bad location not enough buyers

Try to relocate our store

Insane turnaround on managers

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Potential to earn lots if you strive. Management is typically very easy to work with and want you to achieve.

Cons

Commission only can either reward or break you, depending on how your personality is. You have to help maintain the store even when it can be busy.

Keep your managers for more than 1 year.

Could be such a better company if....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Friendly work staff, hour lunch, working with customers

Cons

Terrible pay system. Working commission at a retail store is discouraging because you work so many hours then fall into draw. It is Christmas time and this check they took out almost half of my check from "draw". When HR was called they said they don't take a certain percent of the check but they can take whatever amount they please. This is now leaving me and my family tight on funds for the holiday while I am stuck working overtime that places me in draw. It is a terrible cycle. This company would be great to work for if they simply paid sales employees hourly with commissions on warranties. It is very upsetting to work so many hours during the holiday and reap no benefit when you receive the check. At this point I would rather work a part time job at fast food because at least my check could be 50.00 higher. The amount of money spent from turnover at this company would equal what they pay to keep a good, happy, hourly paid staff.

The management is not an issue. If anything I feel bad for them because they know how frustrated their staff is because of the above mentioned. They have the struggle of finding new staff or having people call off and walk out because they are upset. KUDOS.

Incompetent

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, Decent Customers, Opportunities

Cons

Terrible Marketing, Draw System (Commission), Discount

Get inside of these stores and see what's really going on with your employees and customers

Fun but stressful

Current Employee - CSM in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - CSM in Orlando, FL

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The associates are fun to be around at times. You will meet some interesting people. The job is pretty chill for hourly associates.

Cons

Most of the management staff have no idea what they're doing, most of them can't even edit tickets properly. Also the work environment is very choatic and I feel like I'm back in middle school. This company also has a horrible turn over rate.

Pay the hourly associates more. We do the grunt work, handle almost all issues, and we make little to no money. Also there should be more operational positions available for those who work in ops that want to move up.

Cut throat company

Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family oriented staff and meeting new people on a day to day basis.

Cons

Having to run the sales floor because they hire lazy management who put everything off on csm's. low pay rate. all problems fall on csm's. Management is cut throat and will through you under the bus at anytime to make themselves look good.

Show appreciation to staff!! Stop running those that value your company to the ground.

The Gregg

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HHGregg has opportunity to be a great company to work for. As a manager you manage a diverse mix of products, services, commission salesmen, operations staff, and are enabled to solve problems without interference from upper management. This in my mind is a great place to develop as a manager if you can handle the constant change.

Cons

Its retail, long hours with very little reward or just enough of a reward to keep you afloat.

The constant shifting of the philosophy of our company and the overall turnover among your peers has a negative affect on your outlook for the company. The strength of HHGregg used to be that as a manager we could effectively make decisions which appears to eroding. The culture is changing.

Teach your managers how to interpret the Ultimate Price Kiosk, don't just put it in the store.

There are times that as a sales manager/general manager you should have the fundamental ability to ask a customer what it will take to earn their business. Upper management speaks out of both sides of their mouths, don't do this, do this and then when you make a good decision based in metrics and is sound, don't crush us. The kiosk should be a good enabler and good for the culture of the company. However give the managers the ability to be involved in closing the sale, give us the flexibility to earn that business if, metrics substantiate our decisions.

If not our competitors will.

You can earn a living without a degree.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

You truly make your own paycheck based off of your ability to sell the right solution to the customers.

Cons

Lack of customers into store at certain times periods within the year making some weeks a stain. Meaning one week making $1500 and the next could be $150 and that falls below the minimum wage which puts you in draw. Expected to work for "free" ... Planograms, cleaning, tagging as a part of your job "title." I've missed countless sales from these and it can be frustrating, especially on the slow weeks.

If you want work that doesn't pay done, hire hourly Warehouse or CSM so that we can stay focused on the customer and always be closing .... Also consider draw based on the pay period so that the negativity of it doesn't roll over into a new pay period. Example: $1500 first week $100 second week rolls $180 or more into the new pay period. I'm sure if you polled your employees they would feel the same. The biggest downer is web transactions .... Give our customers the ability to enter a sales person and give credit where credit is due! Some customers shop our store then sit and wait for deals to come through on the products we've sold them on, or just get timing on a promotional coupon and feel they have to buy online instead of coming back to the store. That is a lost sale taking money out of the pockets of employees and the store.

hhgregg Photos