hhgregg Reviews

Reset
2.1
hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • If you study the product and go after it you will make good money here (in 24 reviews)

• The employee discount was great on some stuff (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero respect for work-life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 56 reviews)

1. Sales is not for everyone

Current Employee - Sales in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Fast pace environment, with good potential to make above average money. Laid-back yet hustle and bustle attitude. The biggest thing is overhead, we have a large floor layout without the useless merchandising i.e., DVD's Music, Games, so keeping the store looking good is easier than most retail stores. Management attitude reflects on associate input and vise versa. A good company with solid core values and high opportunities given to the right candidate to grow with the company.

Cons

Co-Workers complain about being slow, a lot of businesses are slow this time a year. The scheduling needs some analzying to distribute better shifts. Product allocation should pertain to who orders it first not who needs it first... this is more of a personal opinion, and not a professional opinion...

Advice to Management

High believer in take any deal if it's a profitable one. No need to go underwater to make a deal, keep that attitude going!! Some associates might feel the morning meetings convey feedback as punishments and not as cronstructive criticism, probably find a better solutions to send a clear message without them feeling that way is a tough task... but can be attained.

2. very good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, NJ

Pros

very pleasent to work at. good management team, good potential for income and maybe advancement. good working hours and conditions.

Cons

slow advancement, other sales people not being trained properly to sell and effecys the abillity to get the customer to belive in product sometimes

HHGregg is a GREAT place to earn easy money!!!

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales in Columbia, SC

Pros

I was reading over some of the other reviews, and I noticed that multiple people were complaining about the commission/draw pay. Normally, I would not take the time to post on a website like this, but I feel as if many people will be given inaccurate information. I have worked in electronic retail for about 8 years, and have had jobs that paid hourly, commission, and a mixture of the two. I have worked for Circuit City and Best Buy in the past, and the financial opportunities at HHGregg have blown these other "top" electronic retailers out of the water. The aspect that I like most is that the salesperson truly does control how much money they make. If you are willing to work hard, stay knowledgeable, and take care of customers, then you can easily make MUCH more than the draw/minimum wage. Yes, HHGregg does put some merchandise on sale which is at or below the "landed cost", but so does every other company in electronic retail. If HHGregg does not have competitive pricing, then most customers will just buy their merchandise somewhere else for less money. Once the customer is in the store, it is YOUR job as a sales associate to explain the features and benefits that you get from a more expensive product. If you can't build a relationship with customers and can't consistently sell accessories/better models/protection plans, then honestly, you should not work on commission. I'm in my early 20's and averaging about $20/hr according to my 2010 earnings, and I'm not even the top salesperson in my store. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that most people that complain about commission sales pay are the lazy associates who are not good at selling electronics. If you have a sales/electronics background, then give HHGregg a chance and make that money!!!!

Cons

I will admit that working 50-60 hours every week for the months of November and December is tiring and stressful. However, this is the nature of the market. If you can't handle working longer hours when coverage is needed during the holiday season, then you SHOULD NOT be working in electronic consumer retail. Plus, having more hours during the holiday season is not as bad as it seems. I made just under $7000 this past November and right about $4500 this past December. Even at 60 hours per week, that still put me at about $47/hr for those two months.....seems worth it in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I would like to see some better advertising strategies from the leadership roles in the company. HHGregg has the potential to boom and take over electronic retail.....we just need more people to know about us!

I enjoyed the staff but I wasn't fond of management

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Towson, MD

Pros

Pretty good money and hours. The working staff was real cool. It was a laid-back atmosphere

Cons

When business is slow, it can become boring. The job becomes monotonous over time.

Advice to Management

Every manager should be able to do each other's job.

6. great place to work if you are a motivated person

Current Employee - AV Sales in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - AV Sales in Orlando, FL

Pros

the company takes the time to teach about the products and selling techniques. They also help to direct you to key products which will improve your ability to make more money.

Cons

the cons would be the company is currently in a learning process , you can not keep a small business mentality as you company grows so quickly.... They are trying to adapt.. This leaves the hhgregg we have loved for years, in the past.. Hopefully we can keep as much of that as we can in the big corporate hhgregg

Advice to Management

back to basics.. Remember old hhgregg and integrate that into your daily work

7. Great place for people who want to succeed

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount Growth personal & professional Opportunity for advancement People you work with Health & Dental benefits

Cons

It's retail and as such it's retail hours There's no free lunch

Advice to Management

Keep the faith and grow the business

8. Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - General Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - General Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training. Family focused

Cons

It's retail. Hours are ok, could be better.

9. exceptional

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

bonuses, fun atmosphere, up to date information, competitive, employee discounts.

Cons

longer hours just like any retail,

Advice to Management

none

10. MIT

Current Employee - Manager In Training
    Current Employee - Manager In Training

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

-Pay, co-workers, management, make your own money, and loyal customers

Cons

-Having your customer come in when you aren't there

11. With a good attitude, it's a fine place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Anderson, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Anderson, IN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, bonus, and open communication.

Cons

Unorganized, communication, base pay, and hours.

Advice to Management

Less open hours. Small bump in bass pay.

RSS Feed </> Embed