hhgregg Reviews

Reset

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

NOT a lot of good here anymore. Every year it takes another turn for the worst.

Cons

Corporate finds every way they can to rise your bonus. Bonus structures have changed 4 times in 3 years with no notice. Also they ship your store broken tv's and write then off against your store's shrink. Again to take your bonus.

Advice to Management

Pay the managers more and work them less hours.

2. Good Company

Former Employee - Sales/Warehouse in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Sales/Warehouse in Lafayette, IN

I worked at hhgregg (More than 5 years)

Pros

Full time work adn you will meet alot of different people. If positions open up they normally try to hire from within. HHgregg is all over the place so you can move and still have a job if there is an opening.

Cons

If you work on the delivery side expect to put in real time and hard work

Advice to Management

NA

Good products, Poor Managerial Styles & Compensation

Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked at Gregg's way back in the middle 1990s, and then again in 2012. Things sure did change in the almost 20 years. Gregg's still offers good deals and excellent products at a good price for the customer. It has a good rep for cutting costs, and for the most part, upper management does a good job and protecting its overall corporate balance sheet. It used to be a decent company to work for and build a good, stable career. There are a half dozen or so employees who've put in 15 to 25 years at the company and have done very well for themselves, and are still making close to a six figure income in appliances or in TVs, entertainment. The business has shifted, of course. Customers have many options these days, and Gregg's has opened up other product lines on the furniture and exercise side. The margins are simply not where they were 10, 20 years ago in TVs, and to an extent, even appliances and home office, where some salespeople were making big money on sales and warranty coverages. The money can still there, but really set up for the veterans who've been there for a while and have a giant referral list.

The people who I worked with were fun, nice, and we all got along. No one cheated the other out, and if we were off on a day when a customer came back, they rang the sale up in your number.

Believe it or not, the days went by fairly quick. On slow days, there was always time to chat and review products and ways to show better features. Holiday time, lots of food/pizza.

Insurance is good, after 60 days, I think, you are covered.

Management team (where I worked) was cool and very flexible. (may not be the case at other locations).

Cons

Okay, the margins now are not nearly as good. You're not going to make the same kind of $$ you did way back in the 1990s. It simply has shifted. People who bring in $2,000 to $3,000 biweekly checks now are veterans who have been with the company for 20 years or more. If you're new, or even worked retail in the past, it will be hard to make it. Holiday time can be taxing on one's feet.

I thought the POS (point-of-sale system) was outdated, hard to use.

Still relying on "credit" too much to build business. Did we learn our lessons from 2008?

Advice to Management

Improve POS; give options for new sales hirers at a base hourly pay with bonus on warranty coverage, or chose the current sales compensation. Maybe improve training.

Great for part time work!

I worked at hhgregg part-time

Pros

Some of the best reasons to seek employment here is because of the flexibility that is offered! You can find any schedule your looking for!

Cons

Sometimes the customers that come in the store can really get on your nerves to the point you might want to argue, but other than that everything else is great!

Advice to Management

Management needs to be recommended a personal development course on proper leadership and how to effectively communicate with employees to keep morale up!

Pay Restructure Looks to Be the End

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to control most of paycheck is the greatest asset of the job. It weeds out the people who want to make money and those who do not. Which in return can also make you more money.

Cons

Horrible scheduling grid. Expect to work every weekend because it is a must to maintain a good check. Plenty of busy work that takes you away from selling. The company changes fundamentals every 6 to 12 months.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people that tank other companies to run yours. Looking at you Circuit City and Sears.

7. It was an easy job once

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Bel Air, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Bel Air, MD

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

when working for one manager you can have an easy day of doing some base work and get things done

Cons

when another manager is there you get cleaning responsibilities of everyone else with out the understanding that more jobs means more mean more time to do it. There was a manger who was so grossly incompetent he managed to turn the whole store against him. also you can work there for 4 years full time and make less then $10.00hr.

Advice to Management

If the whole store has a problem with you, including the other managers, do you think that person should stay there?

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Olmsted Falls, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Olmsted Falls, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for over all.

Cons

The hours verses pay scale and bonus structure could be improved.

Advice to Management

Accept advice from current team members.

Bad place look elsewhere

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any.

Cons

Leadership lacks vision. The morale is low and I would recommend this place as a destination to work.

Advice to Management

Right the ship. Fix the commission and stop changing it every three months.

Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pitts, PA

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

-Value products are reasonably priced
    -Carry most major brands in Appliances & Electronics
    -Fair earning potential

Cons

As a former Manager, my position was eliminated by the company in efforts to save money. The company suffers from lack of leadership and confusion within upper management. Company profits have declined rapidly over the past 3 years and continue to fall. Its business leaders have failed to understand the importance of Competitive Business Intelligence and its benefits. Acquiring new products for sale without solidifying a base operational stand point has been adverse for the company. The company has strong contentions of "pulling the trigger" without proper planning and analysis. As a result the company has downsized massively eliminating over 100 management positions company-wide. Though it saves the company money in short term; they have failed to understand the big picture at hand. Failure to understand where they as a company can compete at its best advantages per market has and will continue to plummet company profits.

Advice to Management

*The inability to garner your best talents within your ranks is detrimental to company growth
    *Failure to understand that SME's (Subject Matter Experts) are critical for decision making in all aspects of company growth.
    *Continuing to follow a failed business model is less than admirable for any company in any industry.
    *Good leaders know their limitations.
    *Learn more about "Competitive Intelligence" with no C.I. department how do you know where your going or who is eating your lunch and is your next decision to sell a product worthwhile? ie..Fitness Equipment...

Keep an eye on how busy your location is during the two week training.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can made great money if you're a good sales person and your location has customers.

Gives the tools to learn a lot about the products.

Two-weeks of training on hourly pay.

Managers care about getting things done and making sure the customers walk away happy.

Cons

No benefits for part-timers.

Pay structure requires you to sell a large number of big ticket items per week, but the customer traffic means you're lucky if you sell a few Blu-Ray players and Bluetooth speakers.

Draw pay system puts you in debt if you can't make sales, usually because there are no customers.

No respect what-so-ever for work/life balance. You WILL work holidays. You WILL work Saturdays. The general manager mocked me for asking for my birthday off before begrudgingly agreeing to it.

Hours are garbage. Expect to work regular 10 hour shifts, even as a part timer and extended hours during sales that will have you there until 10pm on a Sunday night, with the night's last customer leaving at 8pm.

No warehouse workers. My location has a great warehouse guy, but he is only part-time. Expect to not just retrieve product for your customers, but also retrieve product for your co-workers' customers.

Training is hilariously hands-off. I was sat at a computer for a week and a half reading Power Point presentations with no context and doing assessments that I was only able to pass using prior knowledge from 7 years of retail experience.

You will go hours at a time with no customers in the store.

Constant unpaid busywork including, but not limited to double checking stock, replacing price tags daily, cleaning furniture displays and carpets, cleaning and replacing signage and cleaning and stocking shelves. I have spent more time doing this busywork than I have working with customers.

Constant badmouthing of the competition, including Sears and Best Buy.

The computer system used for the registers is absolute trash. Manager approval is needed for just about everything, deliveries slow the transaction to a crawl and sales and discounts must be calculated manually.

Sales people are expected to ring up the majority of their sales, but are not allowed to handle cash. I have been scolded for asking a CSM to ring up a sale because I could have done it myself, despite ringing up sales being a CSM's job.

A complete obsession with selling service plans. You are expected to sell a service plan to every. Single. Customer. You are expected to use an info sheet to sell the services to every customer, even if it would cause that customer to walk away from the sale. You will be scolded and written up if you don't have a filled in info sheet stapled to a receipt that doesn't have a service sold. My store's management only expects it from sales over $200 (still laughably low considering the products), but company policy has this for everything, including $30 DVD players.

Some of the stock is headscratching. Why are we carrying laptops with slower processors and less RAM than a cell phone? Why are we still carrying DVD players without even a component connection? Why do we have a wall of PlayStation and Xbox accessories when they never sell?

Constantly tells you how lazy hourly workers are and how much better your commission pay is while downplaying the draw system that will put you in debt if your store's traffic is low.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring during June and July, you don't have the customer traffic for it.

Get rid of the draw system. Your turnover is ridiculously high because you're strapping your new workers with debt because there are no customers to sell to.

Stop badmouthing the competition to your employees, it comes off as desperate.

Start getting hourly workers to do busywork. Commissioned sales people can be expected to do some that's relevant to making sales, but why am I wasting two hours when I walk in the door checking what displays are out?

Get a more efficient and automated computer system. I'm told the current system replaced an old one. I can only DREAD what the old one was like. Even if I have to punch in discount percentages manually, why do I have to do the MATH manually?

RSS Feed </> Embed