hhgregg

Updated November 22, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Competitive wages for sales.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Earn what you work for.

Cons

Long hours not family friendly.

Take better care of customers and your employees.

It's one thing to take care of the company's interest, but at what cost to the customers and employees.

A once great company I can no longer recommend as an employer.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You do very little actual work. Over the course of a fifty hour work week, you'll only do ten to twelve hours of real work. The remainder of your time is spent chatting with coworkers.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, and no time off. Benefits are extremely expensive and offer little to no health coverage.

When I started with the company five years ago, I was told that the sales staff were the most important people in the company and we were treated that way. The company had high standards for its employees which we were trained to exceed. Today it seems, the company will hire anyone who can pass a drug test to fill the floor until ultimately they're fired for non performance making room for the next round of worthless employees. I recommend a return to the discipline, training, and commitment hhgregg had when I first joined the company.

Overworked, Underpaid; Over-promised, Under-delivered

Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager
    Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most corporate people are truly willing to help you and support the field management. Potential for advancement is real (but comes without real training)

Cons

Very long work week - minimum 50+ hours. Bonus structure changes frequently - never benefited field management. "Hidden" processes and auditing that impacts store level bonus (you lose!) Commission structure punishes associates. Corporate-regulated scheduling of management and associates - put associates into overtime - then they base the draw rate at 1.5 for ENTIRE hours (ex: 45 hrs = 45hrs @ 1.5 not just 5 hrs@ 1.5.)

Try working the schedules you dictate. Quit rewarding upper management by taking away field management bonuses. Re-structure commission pay-outs that punish the sales associates for re-rings that need to be done to satisfy a customer on an issue that was not the fault of the associate. Re-work how you charge overtime to associates - I can't believe that's even legal or ethical!

Not The best...not the worst

Current Employee - CSM in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - CSM in Fenton, MO

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to know everyone who works there.

Cons

Understaffed. Managers never want to help with difficult customers. Rarely allowed a lunch. They schedule you just under 8 hours. If you are working more than eight hours you are the only person at the desk so there is nobody to cover for you.

HHGregg gives you a great deal of experience and can be a fun, team based work environment with room for opportunity

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Promotion comes quickly and easily with effort and the ability and willingess to learn.
    Team environment.
    Lots of training

Cons

Hours can be pretty rough as with most retail settings, however, It is not much different from other retailers that I have worked at.

Not enough hours for the amount of work needed done

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Erie, PA

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, and the people are alright, and the hours are fairly flexible.

Cons

The support staff are treated like slaves, and sales people don't receive repercussions for any negative actions.

Provide more hours for your hourly employees to keep the store tidy.

Very dysfunctional company that does not support customer service or its sales associates

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with some fine individuals but management and corporate incompetence has created poor morale.

Cons

Commission based pay. Only paid when product sold is delivered. Company does not reserve sold product for customer so when delivery is scheduled often out of stock and delivery cannot be made. Obviously this upsets customers and causes cancelations meaning you do not get paid. Commissions are often incorrectly calculated and when management is confronted they have a do not care attitude. Your are lucky if the product you sold is delivered and also lucky if it is delivered you get paid correctly. Also if discounts are made to keep customer happy, even though sales associate had no part in the problem, the company deducts money from sales associate's pay to cover part of the cost of the discount.

With 228 stores HHGregg is large enough to implement proper inventory management processes to insure merchandise sold and paid for is available for customers. After all it is a contract once the customer has paid for the merchandise. Management should understand that salespeople are not well paid and at the very least should expect and have the right to be paid correctly. You have to almost beg to get management to correct pay errors and sometimes must make that request at least five times.

A company that continues to decrease the support... will eventually crumble with no foundation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team of sales people that work for hhgregg are typically long tenured and know that the management staff revolve like an open door in the wind. They are the best part of hhgregg. The are the face to the customers and they help to drive our business. Without them, work would be terrible.

Cons

There are really too many challanges about working here. Most of the management that greggs still has are either the 'long' tenured managers who are terrible at their job, or brand new managers that have only been there for 3 months. Not all long tenured managers are terrible, however, hhgregg has a tendency to screw over the managers that are worth keeping and they leave to go somewhere that will pay them more, or that have less demands on their time. Example: My appliance manager has had to work open to close for 3 days straight now because our GM decided he wasn't going to adjust the schedule for coverage due to our other manager being off. Their is no team work. Their is no common ground. The open door policy is a farce. I have worked here for more than a couple years and with my current GM, I have had run in s with HR because the is trying to get rid of everyone. He refuses to help customers, like he is too good for it, he insults and degrades our employees(to other employees) ans makes fun of people with deformities. I have really had to rethink my position here because I don't want to work for a company that rewards despicable humans with promotions and raises. If you want to be brought down, insulted and completely disrespected then this it totally the place for you.

ummm... instead of worrying about numbers and babysitting your salesmen, why dont you go out and actually get involved with the customers. Learn how to run customer service so that when you have an issue come up, you know how to go about fixing it. double your support staff. Without a good foundation, the overwhelming amount of idiotic work that gets rolled down hill will not get done. it isn't getting done. oh yea... try and pay your people for the job that they actually do, instead of by what the job description says that they do. There is such a huge disconnect from the corporate level to the stores that the decisions being made up top are preposterous. News flash: the managers that you are paying the most, would flounder and be completely embarrassed if it wasn't for the 8 dollar and hour CSM that they have up front. That 8/hr employee has dealt with and seen more stuff than any manager will see in 10 years. These are your front line people. Your entry level people. and yet.... they are always teaching the managers things that they never learned...... where is the justice in that?

Smart company, but terrible people

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at hhgregg full-time

Pros

There is literally only one pro that I can think of. After 90 days, you get to buy anything at the company's landed cost (only really valuable on bedding and furniture). But if something is being sold under the landed cost in store, you still have to pay landed for it. (Huh?)

Cons

Full commission, Inconsistent schedule (often have to work late then open early, etc), absolutely no Saturdays off, one Sunday off per month, extreme pressure to perform better and meet company goals (which you will never meet)... Company stays down managements throat and sets goals they need to meet in order to get bonuses, so management stays stressed and is constantly rude and down your throat. You get paid at least minimum wage every paycheck but if you get paid less in commission than minimum wage, the difference will be deducted from the next pay period commission. There are more ways they protect themselves at the completely unfair cost of their employees; the list goes on and on... (Such as if you sale something that's on clearance and way below landed cost, they will take money out of your paycheck!)

Start to care about the people that work for the company. They're humans and have to eat too...

Good company to work for. Great discount an flexible hours.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hilliard, OH

I worked at hhgregg part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount, new electronics, and easy work.

Cons

Working holidays and cannot move up.

hhgregg Photos