hhgregg

Updated August 20, 2014

2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Full Throttle... into an iceberg.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL

Pros

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it)
    • Somewhat decent people to work with
    • Hour lunches
    • Two days off a week (unless they surprise you and take one away)
    • And of course, the *potential* to make a decent amount of money

Cons

In my store, traffic is down, sales are down, and warranty is down. It's a struggle to earn even minimum wage in commission. Every potential sale is a constant battle, largely due to the fact that the company consistently advertises product without any profit, making it entirely my job to up-sell AND attach. After that, we get to take our customers to our new "Ultimate Price Center", to ensure they're getting the absolute lowest price around in case there is actually money in the product for them to take away from us. Not only do we have salesman putting up tags, cleaning, vacuuming, and rolling out product (all of which we do not get paid for), but now they've got salesman doing customer service and operational work, covering CSM's when they are on break, etc. Again, no compensation there. Managers refuse to take phone calls, leaving salesman or CSM's to deal with the irate/upset customer. Salesman are asked to capture email addresses of customers so that corporate can email them online-only promotions and coupons, diverting traffic away from the store so the company can profit on lost commission. It's like we're competing against ourselves. None of the most sought after products are in stock, inconveniencing both the customer and the salesman. Our delivery team is constantly breaking, denting, or otherwise damaging product. This leads to management offering customers deep discounts in order to keep the product in their home (at the salesman's expense), or the customer canceling the order all together. Anytime store management is notified of an upcoming regional manager visit, we're required to rush around and make sure the store looks one hundred percent, since they're incapable of maintaining it day-to-day. The company is very cheap, and often we don't even have proper invoice paper, or warranty brochures to give the customer when we're able to sway them into it. Uniforms, in their entirety, are paid for by employees. Managers decide when your shirt isn't red enough, or is fading, informing you that it's time we bought another one. Corporate doesn't trust the sales associate with price changes, requiring manager overrides for the smallest adjustments. This is a great inconvenience to the customer, especially when the manager is hiding in the breakroom or the office. Same applies when a salesman requires a product out of lockup, which only management has keys to. Landed costs change like the weather, and the company keeps venturing into new product categories that associates have to master, only to have them closeout six months later. Our regional manager says that our store has the highest morale in the region, yet everyone is looking for another job...

Get rid of the digital center. There's no profit, and it's a waste of the sales associate's talent. Get rid of all of these cheap little filler products, and focus on your bread and butter. Home Theater & Appliances are two categories that should be MASTERED before we try and carry any other products. We have the largest TV (and probably appliance) selection in town. Take advantage of that and USE IT for advertising. If you keep advertising cheap product, you're going to drive in cheap customers. Stop driving away traffic from the stores and encouraging web sales. Hold delivery team members responsible for their actions. If a $3000 sale is cancelled due to delivery incompetence, something should be done. Take care of your associates, we bring in the money.

An unimpressive company with questionable pay structure

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Apex, NC

Pros

- EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT is quite a perk.

- JOB RESPONSIBILITIES may be unsatisfying but are not stressful.

- ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT was spoken and executed often (however, the high turnover rate may be a factor)

- COMPETITIVE with regards to their competitors pricing/policies/delivery. This makes it easy for salesman to close sales. Also, TVs are often in-stock when compared to competitors.

- ASSOCIATES ARE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE and are given the tools to learn and be successful.

- you CAN BE WELL-COMPENSATED if you're in a high-traffic store and have good selling skills; however, the traffic appears to be diminishing in most stores.

Cons

- by far the most glaring issue with hhgregg is it's COMMISSION STRUCTURE...Yes--there is unlimited earning potential and better sales people will make more money. However, the real issue is the required morning walk-through where you discuss ads (my management staff often did not do this even though it was required), put up sale tags, clean, out-of-store training sessions, etc. These tasks are done with no way of having any customer interaction-- YET, THE SALES ASSOCIATES ARE NOT COMPENSATED FOR THIS TIME. No customers, no commission. When I asked why there was no compensation during this time, I was told that it factors into draw pay (the company pays you minimum wage until your sales commission pays you over $7.25/hr.) However, a salesperson inevitably must pay back the draw pay, so, that answer was obviously misleading. How this isn't illegal I honestly do not know. Other tasks including sales tags, warehouse responsibilities, and loading vehicles are not compensated--this again factors into your "commission pay" even though this time spent off the sales floor invariably adds up.

- POOR COMMUNICATION SKILLS OF MANAGEMENT led to misunderstanding of what is expected. The "On-point" system (how hhgregg wants its associates to greet customers) the company employs is not properly conveyed to its associates. Three different managers explained to me three different "standards" of how this was done--each contradicting what the prior conversation entailed. Poor employee-to-employee communication led to actual verbal confrontations between associates over whether to "split" a sale (this was unprofessionally done in front of customers on occasion.) My particular manager was a typical "high-pressure" salesman that had questionable sales tactics but even poorer leadership and communication skills, which led to LITERAL shouting confrontations with sales associates--perhaps the most unprofessional and misplaced boss I've experienced.

- SCHEDULING was a constant issue as the store was often understaffed on the weekdays yet overstaffed on the weekends (leading to difficulty to balance commission to those who didn't have a solid customer base) and frustration to customers who had to wait on weekdays.

- the HIGH-PRESSURE SALES TACTICS that the company employs is outdated and is not welcomed by customers. Perhaps the main reason as to why the company's sales are fleeting. I was also told to "stay within 15 feet of a customer at all times" once you've greeted them. This is absolutely ridiculous, and is a common complaint of customers on review sites.

- building trust with customers is PREACHED YET NOT PRACTICED. A sign indicating a reduced cost couch was actually torn up in front of me by a manager and I was told to include a service agreement without mention and not explain the couch alone was on sale.

- HIGH MANAGER TURNOVER rates leads to ineffective communication and obviously misplaced individuals with their roles.

- UNORGANIZED POS system and warehouse procedures often led to mishandled transactions and merchandising issues.

- OBVIOUS LACK OF FEMALE DIVERSITY (at least in my particular region) in regards to both associates and store-management. (I, also, am a male.)

- And these issues are not "just like every other retail job." I have since begun work with hhgregg's top electronics competitor and I must say these issues are nowhere to be found.

- there are other many small issues, but, the major issues are all that need to be pointed out. If you work there, you'll eventually experience them.

in regards to business, FOREMOST, stop putting salesman who lack leadership, communication and MANAGEMENT skills in MANAGEMENT positions. These people may very well be terrific salesman, but if they cannot teach their skills or manage others, find a better candidate.

And start thinking outside the box-- "high pressure" sales tactics are done...THIS is why Amazon is stealing business--people of this era no longer want to be SOLD-- they want informed. This is NOT what you're practicing in your stores. Be creative and come up with ways to drive profit-- the "high-pressure" game is leading to your demise.

the worst job experience in my 30 years in the work force !

Current Employee - Appliance Sales  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Sad to say this , I am still employed at Gregg after 11 months , and cant think of any "Pros ". Presently seeking a different opportunity.

Cons

been in commissioned sales for 25 years and have never seen a company take so much from their employees. We are constantly over staffed , making it impossible to make any decent money. Gregg does not care as long as the customer is taken care of. You can sell a 3000 dollar fridge and only make 30 dollars. you can sell a 2000 dollar TV and make 13 dollars. Gregg keeps all the profit for the company.

no words for management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wouldn't Recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

Pros

Potential to be a decent job if your in the right market...if not, then your wasting your time because when you actually make a decent check they will take back any draw accumulated.

Cons

Store is open later then should be on Saturday and Sunday. No retailer should be open after 9pm on Saturdays and 6pm on Sundays. Compensation Policy is a scam if your not in a solid market because of commission draw structure. Management is promoted based on if they can sale, not if they actually have any leadership qualities. Management is over worked.

Don't close at 10pm on Saturdays and 8pm on Sundays and 9;30 every other night of week. Don't promote excellent sales personnel into management just because they can sale there's a reason their good at selling products and service. A good salesman doesn't mean they can lead a group of others. Display all TVs to HD. Fix the company website.

4 years too long at Hhgregg

Former Employee - Operations Lead
    Former Employee - Operations Lead

Pros

Made friends with some co-workers

Cons

Pay, work life balance, hours, the management is absolutely terrible. I have been transferred to several different locations and every single manager is incompetent and immature. All employees get treated like dogs.

Hire more experienced managers.

My experience at hhgregg has certainly been one of learning.

Current Employee - Appliance Sales  in  Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Glen Burnie, MD

Pros

Opportunity for personal growth: there is guidance when you seek it. No cap on how much you can potentially make. Relaxed but professional culture, focused on customer service more and more. Excellent employee purchase discount. Resources readily available for whatever your needs may be.

Cons

Lack of consistency, from managers constantly shifting store-to-store; policies and policy enforcement. The draw vs commission pay system: if your commissions don't add up to minimum wage for your hours, hhgregg covers the difference (draw); you will never be paid under $7.5 hourly. However, your next commissions check above $7.5 hourly, they will take as much as they can back of the difference each check until that "draw" amount is paid back. Inconsistent work schedules make life outside of work difficult to balance. Lack of paid sick days. Shifting responsibilities, even towards operational aspects and even warehouse, which we do not get paid for. You only get paid on sales closed, not the effort you spend with the customer working trying to close. Lack of consistent offerings on how to better yourself as a salesperson- you have to be very aggressive about getting the help you need.

Consider 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift arrangement instead of the A, B, C, D template you follow. Offer paid sick leave, and be more lenient on sick days if associate can provide doctor's note. Change pay system- we shouldn't have to pay back our minimum wage hourly. Establish one-on-one development times between each associate with their respective direct manager to evaluate ways to improve (NOT simply looking at a score on a sheet, or performance numbers alone to criticize them about). Coach techniques, use morning meeting time to arrange practice pitches with associates adapting to selling plans; there's too much "words on paper" but not as much guidance relating to how to really put them in practice in a natural flow. It's kind of sink-or-swim teaching techniques.

Promises never kept

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Potential for higher income if you make goals and store makes goals

Cons

Change rules of how to achieve income and entice you to take job offer with benefits

Be honest about how your system works and you are only going to make it after 90 days if you make all your goals.

Appliances Sale

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Nice fellow employees, latest appliances,

Cons

Internet mailings to customers with special discounts coupons really hurt the sales staff in making any money

Immaturity and Boredom Set In

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate  in  Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Evansville, IN

Pros

This job is for people who like to act like they are in high school

Cons

This is a joke of a job

Stop acting like you are in high school.

Good initiative, bad judgment.

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Manager

Pros

- Fun working with so many customers
    - Exciting teaching sales associates how to make more money; directly influencing their paychecks.

Cons

- Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55+hours.
    - Manager (Salaried) Compensation is horrendous compared to market average.
    - Monthly bonus for managers is quite impossible to max out on in today's market.
    - Commission structure is poor (1% on Volume, 12% on Profit, 8%-22% on Service Plans - %based on amount sold weekly)
    - Company has no clear goals

Bring in another manager per building to reduce some of the stress on your managers. You expect three people in the building to do the job of nine for sub-par pay.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!