hhgregg

Updated December 25, 2014
2.1

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • Great company to work for and great opportunity to make good money (in 24 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Its retail, long hours with very little reward or just enough of a reward to keep you afloat (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Job is basically SLAVE labor.

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The GM was really the only outstanding part of this job. He was very talented, but unfortunately, had his hands tied by corporate.

Cons

Long hours, always being boondoggled by "landed price", whatever that means on any given day. Long, painful hours, especially over the holidays and any major sale. And, worst of all, non-paid training and putting up signage for late nights. Added to this, even being one of the top salespeople in our market, you couldn't make a living wage, which is terrible and shame on corporate. The huge pressure of selling warranties is also ridiculous, as they keep going up, but the salespeople's wages keep going down. The warranties are just an absolute joke there, overpriced and over pressured.

Treat and pay your employee's better, give them a honest living income! You lose really, really talented people by many empty promises. Find another way to deal with the silly signage that changes twice a week, and PAY for training and offer better benefits. Simple really.

worst place to work

Former Employee - Salesman in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Salesman in Raleigh, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

cool people to work with

Cons

long hours
    HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT
    not good pay
    a lot of free labor

Replace entire management team. Get people who care about the employees and actually do their job

Management

Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Any idiot can get hired !

Cons

Poor store management and middle managers aren't much better.

Hire more QUALIFIED employees.

Over The Top, High Stress Environment!

Former Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to train and develop sales associates to earn a good income.

Cons

Micromanagement. Planning time is nearly mon-existent. Management is called upon to perform a task on average about every 5 minutes. Constant customer complaint issues primarily caused by poor order placement systems. Don't believe the hype about the ability to readily make bonus.

Be genuine and honest to recruits.

Customer Service Merchandiser

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Downingtown, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Downingtown, PA

I worked at hhgregg part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hired me for just a summer which was much appreciated. Pay was decent (a little above minimum wage) and the work was fairly easy, if not boring.

Cons

Had to stand for long shifts with barely any breaks and some of the management was creepy. Retail just sucks in general. They kind of just threw me out there without any training, but it wasn't hard.

Let the CSMs have chair!

Good luck if you're a woman

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Dayton, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team environment. Good dress code, no one is allowed to look a mess. All of the direct managers I had were great.

Cons

If you're a woman they will not take you seriously for sales or management. They think you're unable to do anything but customer service and it's why I left. Horrible pay for all hourly positions.

Care about the employees you already have. Think of long term solutions. This company only cares about the short term.

A once great company I can no longer recommend as an employer.

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You do very little actual work. Over the course of a fifty hour work week, you'll only do ten to twelve hours of real work. The remainder of your time is spent chatting with coworkers.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, and no time off. Benefits are extremely expensive and offer little to no health coverage.

When I started with the company five years ago, I was told that the sales staff were the most important people in the company and we were treated that way. The company had high standards for its employees which we were trained to exceed. Today it seems, the company will hire anyone who can pass a drug test to fill the floor until ultimately they're fired for non performance making room for the next round of worthless employees. I recommend a return to the discipline, training, and commitment hhgregg had when I first joined the company.

Competitive wages for sales.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Earn what you work for.

Cons

Long hours not family friendly.

Take better care of customers and your employees.

It's one thing to take care of the company's interest, but at what cost to the customers and employees.

Overworked, Underpaid; Over-promised, Under-delivered

Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager
    Former Employee - Hhgregg General Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most corporate people are truly willing to help you and support the field management. Potential for advancement is real (but comes without real training)

Cons

Very long work week - minimum 50+ hours. Bonus structure changes frequently - never benefited field management. "Hidden" processes and auditing that impacts store level bonus (you lose!) Commission structure punishes associates. Corporate-regulated scheduling of management and associates - put associates into overtime - then they base the draw rate at 1.5 for ENTIRE hours (ex: 45 hrs = 45hrs @ 1.5 not just 5 hrs@ 1.5.)

Try working the schedules you dictate. Quit rewarding upper management by taking away field management bonuses. Re-structure commission pay-outs that punish the sales associates for re-rings that need to be done to satisfy a customer on an issue that was not the fault of the associate. Re-work how you charge overtime to associates - I can't believe that's even legal or ethical!

100% Commission, long hours, but decent training

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

The training you get from hhgregg is very good compared to industry competitors. Every Monday-Thursday there was a morning meeting that trained you on the devices and appliances, how they worked, what they cost, how to explain the differences to the customer, etc. The sales training was comprehensive as well.

Cons

The hours are abysmal. 100% commission on draw means you get stuck doing everyday operations stuff essentially for "the right to sell." A weekly mandatory shift of 9am-930pm was not unusual. On that same day a collegue would be scheduled from 9-230. Training sessions went unpaid. Benefits were expensive.

Scheduling and cleaning. The company prides itself on having a team of experts that can provide solutions. In reality the company has a team of janitors and merchandisers that do volunteer work for 40 hours a week for the opportunity to sell an additional 20 hours in said week. Schedule more efficiently and create work tasks that focus on selling first, and store merchandising second. Focus on what makes money, as opposed to what makes you look good to your boss.

hhgregg Photos